Sara Not-a-Vampire-At-All-Ha-Ha-Ve-Are-All-Humans-Here Kingdom Becomes a Black Ribboner

sarakingdom

It is very simple, this challenge, ja?  I vill be abstainink from the V-vord (vakefulness).  Not vun drop after midnight.  There is no future in de old-fashioned children off der night business.  I am joinink de Ankh-Monkpork League of Temperance.  Und that is it, really.

Okay, okay, okay, also there vill be doink some Nerd Fitness Academy vorkouts und maybe some yoga.  Vun needs a routine, the League is very clear on the benefits of regimentation.  Und I vill gather points for things I do that are right and good, and very orderly and not at all late at night.  Und some meditation to overcome my desire for vay... for vake... for the v-vord.

How do they say, oh yes, I haff gott this.

c59d2986ace8dc3d80472baedbf08694.jpg

• Like 8

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Nice challenge. I was considering a meditation goal for my own.

[some thoughts about the Discworld: I'm trying to keep it spoiler free] I wanted to say thanks for reminding me of the Discworld. A friend is going to lent me his collection for a while and at the moment I'm at Intresting times. (I'm reading in chronological order.) So far I loved Lords and Ladies best, because I really liked development of the three witches, it was funny, I enjoy reading about the wizards and I found one of the introduced theories really intresting. And men at arms I liked because of all these new characters. But somehow it felt a little rushed and I didn't understand how much the charakter Carrot changed compared to the book before. I hope this description was spoiler free enough. Oh and I thought it was really neat what he did in Moving pictures, because I learned a lot about the RL time he is referring to in a lecture in music - our teacher really enjoys the topic - and it was intresting to see, how Pratchett transformed this.

So yeah, thanks for reminding me of this lovely book series.

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

19 minutes ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

I wanted to say thanks for reminding me of the Discworld. A friend is going to lent me his collection for a while and at the moment I'm at Intresting times. (I'm reading in chronological order.)

Oh, yay!  I'm so glad.  It's a great series.  Lords and Ladies is a really interesting book, it does some fun things with Ridcully and the witches.  I think the City Watch books get faster and faster from here on out, every one seems more ambitious than the one before it.  And you're about to hit some fantastic books, some of my favorites in the series.  Are you reading them in English, or in German?

Do you have a challenge this time around?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

A few years ago I started with listening to some audio books in German. But now I'm reading the books in English. Of course I'm not getting all the jokes, but it's better to miss some of them than missing out because of the translation. I really enjoy reading English books again. I guess I only needed some practice. During my holiday I also finally read Ready Player One, which has been on my to do list for a while. We got quite a few English book on our trip through Ireland. So many lovely book stores in Dublin and Cork. ;) I guess it's my boyfriends fault. He really enjoys reading books in English and reminded me of how much I loved to compare the English and German Harry Potter books as a teen. The same goes for Game of Thrones. I have the first book in three editions (Two German and the original English text) and really enjoyed comparing them. In the end I settled for reading them in English tough. And I would like to reread LotR in English. But I remember how hard it was to get into the first book, when I read them in German as a teen and somehow there are so many other books I want to read beforehand. ^^

Most of the time I'm reading while going by train. So I prefer less heavy books.

Edit: Respawned at the Rebels. My Challenge is still under construction tough.

• Like 1

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

2 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Of course I'm not getting all the jokes, but it's better to miss some of them than missing out because of the translation.

Nobody gets all the jokes. Pratchett was way too complex and subtle for everyone to get everything.

And I am following, but don't vorry, I vill not shine ze light vere it does not belonk.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

Following if for no other reason than the title is awesome.  I probably should check out Discworld.

I recommend it, it's a good life decision.  Don't read them chronologically, he leaps in skill after the first couple-five.  There are series within the series, which enable skipping around a bunch.  (It's a big world, he follows different sets of characters through it.)  It's helpful to stay chronological within a series, but it's not mandatory outside it.  I'd suggest one of the following starting points, or, indeed, all three:

• Wyrd Sisters, the main starting starting point of the books following a bunch of witches in the rural Ramtops mountains, including two of the most badass older female characters ever written by anyone.
  • Guards! Guards!, the starting point of the books following urban policeman Sam Vimes and the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.  Sam Vimes is also a pretty damned amazing character, and basically so are all the people around him, although in a quieter way.  (Ankh-Morpork is a pretty great fantasy city.  It's sort of like if the underbelly of 1820s London were in Eastern Europe.)
  • Mort, the starting point of the series following the Grim Reaper and the consequences of his dubious parenting decisions.  Death is also a pretty damned amazing character, and so is, um, a character who shows up later in this series.

There are a few later series that are also great, especially because his skill jumps up again from great to extra-great later in the series, but it's best to start one-or-all of those places.  (Unless you have a sleep challenge and want to join the Black Ribboners this time around!  Then start with a later standalone book called The Truth, and go back to those.)  The books individually are really good, but when you read a few of them, and they start painting this bigger world with increasingly insane elements and increasingly pointed stories, it becomes an amazing thing.  They're incredibly, outrageously funny, and also incredibly, profoundly serious.  He has a clever, anarchic sense of humor, and also a lot of opinions on how to be human in a difficult and often unjust world.  And (because I recall you have kids?), they're pretty suitable for the 12+ crowd, so you could leave them lying around.  (I've found public libraries get confused on where to shelve them, with some putting them in YA and some in adult fantasy fiction, and the Tiffany Aching subseries - a later part of the Witches series - is actually YA, due to the ages of the protagonists, although it's written in the same voice.)

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Nobody gets all the jokes. Pratchett was way too complex and subtle for everyone to get everything.

And I am following, but don't vorry, I vill not shine ze light vere it does not belonk.

He is pretty complex, there are allusions layered on allusions layered on puns layered on theme layered on obscure historical references layered on snark layered on more allusions.

Good, good, because ze light would interfere with sleepink.  Not so very healthy for kicking this children-of-der-night business.

23 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

A few years ago I started with listening to some audio books in German. But now I'm reading the books in English. Of course I'm not getting all the jokes, but it's better to miss some of them than missing out because of the translation. I really enjoy reading English books again. I guess I only needed some practice. During my holiday I also finally read Ready Player One, which has been on my to do list for a while. We got quite a few English book on our trip through Ireland. So many lovely book stores in Dublin and Cork. ;) I guess it's my boyfriends fault. He really enjoys reading books in English and reminded me of how much I loved to compare the English and German Harry Potter books as a teen. The same goes for Game of Thrones. I have the first book in three editions (Two German and the original English text) and really enjoyed comparing them. In the end I settled for reading them in English tough. And I would like to reread LotR in English. But I remember how hard it was to get into the first book, when I read them in German as a teen and somehow there are so many other books I want to read beforehand. ^^

Most of the time I'm reading while going by train. So I prefer less heavy books.

Some countries do really good Discworld translations, and some countries don't have great translations, and I can't recall which Germany is.  I'd bet it's a really hard thing to translate, because of the wordplay.  Of course, that probably also makes it very hard for a non-native speaker to read it in English.  It's so much harder than reading standard English, because he has so many non-standard word uses and dialects.  That's really impressive!

LotR is hard to get into in English, too, in my opinion.  I read it as a teen, and, honestly, was bored by it.  I think you have to really like things like the Eddas and old historical sagas.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Burning said:

I just read a sample of Mort, and it was fascinating.

*rubs hands together to celebrate successful scheming*

Mort is very good.  It is also perhaps the least good of the Death books.  So, y'know, you have good things in store.  (Okay, maybe not the least good, that may be poetic license.  But Pratchett's scope does get a lot more ambitious and weird as the Discworld series progresses, and there are two Death books in particular that IMO blow all the others away.  The first is Reaper Man, which is the Death book right after Mort.)

1 hour ago, Phoenix Burning said:

So now I am on the library wait list....

Gosh, waiting for Pratchett is sad.  Maybe they could give you another book while you wait? :)

• Like 1

Found this strolling around and have to follow because of the discworld theme ;)

I'm re-reading the Tiffany Aching books at the moment (because I will visit Scotland soon and you better be prepared if you might meet some Nac Mac Feggles you know ;) )

My NF-Character: https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58102

Introduction Or How I started, Challenges: 1 ; 2 ; 3 ; 4 ; 5 ; 6 ; 7 ; RESPAWN  ; 8 ;

Member of the League of Epicness, Hellfire Club!

...would like to be a Nac Mac Feggle ;)

15 hours ago, Schaengel said:

Found this strolling around and have to follow because of the discworld theme ;)

I'm re-reading the Tiffany Aching books at the moment (because I will visit Scotland soon and you better be prepared if you might meet some Nac Mac Feggles you know ;) )

Welcome!  It is wise to be prepared for Feegles north of the English border.  Especially if there's going to be special sheep liniment involved.  (I did a Feegle challenge a couple of challenges ago, and it was huge fun.  I might do another some day, although first I've got a Vimes challenge.)

2 hours ago, Liam P Boyle said:

Following for Terry Pratchett jokes and to get some ideas for my own sleep challenge (My thread is over in Druids this go round).

Noooo!  We'll miss you.  Drop by the Sleeping Quarters for the sleep group.  PS, read more Pratchett.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Noooo!  We'll miss you.  Drop by the Sleeping Quarters for the sleep group.  PS, read more Pratchett.

I shall be dropping by the sleeping quarters.  Since I'm basically a Druid/Monk or Monkish Druid I'll be alternating which group I take challenges with.  Since I want to focus on meditation and taijiquan (and sleep) it felt more natural to go with to Druids this round.  

Pratchett is on my list for reading.  I might try Diskworld before I try to jump into the Wheel of Time series.

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

5 hours ago, Liam P Boyle said:

Following for Terry Pratchett jokes and to get some ideas for my own sleep challenge (My thread is over in Druids this go round).

Crivens!  If you must... be all one with nature and mindfulness and harmony.  :)

Also:  Following and occasionally chiming in.  And yes, I will claim a black-ribbon. 

• Like 1

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Veek 0: Day 1

The Black Ribbon: Oh dear, vell, the night before the start of Veek 0 does not count, yes?  Because I had just vun small drop of vakefulness after midnight, vith the going to bed at 12:15.  Just vun small drop.  Oh dear me, no, that vill not do in future.

The Vorkout: It vill be the swimmink, later in the evenink.  Not over a movink river, my goodness, no.  Not that ve are sensitive about such things.  Ve are just normal people like you.  Ve like the River Ankh very much. It does not flow, so much as occasionally slide sidevays vith a crunch.

0 points Black Ribbon

5 points Meditation

5 points Vorkout

5 points Standing desk time - 1 hour

5 points Veekly yoga und Veekly Nerd Fitness Academy routine (completed: 1 yoga, 0 NF Academy)

-----------

20 points total

• Like 4

Veek 0: Day 2

The Black Ribbon: Made it vith vun minute to spare!  (I scheduled time to do a 25-minute yoga session, and ended up deciding to do the 45-minute stretching session, so it was tight.)

The Vorkout: Nerd Fitness Academy Vorkout A.  Vith (sigh) a full varmup and cooldown (HATE HATE HATE).  This is the plan.

5 points Black Ribbon

0 points Meditation

5 points Vorkout

3 points Standing desk time - 1/2 hour

5 points Veekly yoga und Veekly Nerd Fitness Academy routine (completed: 1 yoga, 0 NF Academy)

-----------

18 points total

• Like 5

You can do it ;)

(Nothing creative here. I'm still trying to adjust to the new timetable. When the alarm went on I was lile "Damn where is the sun?")

• Like 1

Spoiler

I feel your pain I've only managed 5 hours the last two nights myself, and got my ass handed to me by a "beginners" yoga routine this morning.  Although I have trouble believing any routine that uses the warrior 3 pose is a beginning routine.

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I vill join ze Black Ribboners. I'm afraid that my time to go hide must be well before 11pm. Really, it should be before 10pm if I want to get up to do meditation before work. Small steps. Cocoa will help.

Ah, good!  Velcome to the path of vhat is wholesome and modern, and not at all outdated like ze old country.  Ve are having our first veekly meeting.

• Like 1