• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Broba Fett

Broba Fett Soaks Up Some Bacta

The Story So Far:

Mando is 500lbs. 

Mando loses 148lbs.

Mando gets divorced.

Mando gains 85lbs over 2 years dating and eating feelings.

Mando meets Mando girl.

Mando proposes to Mando girl.

Mandalorian couple decides to get in shape for wedding/future life, join crossfit/strongman gym.

Mando and Mando girl compete in first strongman competition.

Mando loses 50lbs, Mando girl loses 30lbs.

Mando hurts back.

Image result for boba fett hurt

Just coming off of two weeks of doctor-prescribed absence from the gym after straining the hell out of my lower back.  First day I'm allowed to lift again is conveniently Monday of Week Zero.  This challenge will be about staying the course and avoiding injury as I get back into it.  Goals are as follows:

1. No Rx or "performance" weights: I've got plenty of time to Rx all the things and do "performance"-level WODs when I'm another hundred pounds lighter and am a CF veteran.  I hurt the back doing simple deadlifts and overhead presses during metcon because I got cocky and went with the performance weight of 95lbs.  I got tired.  Form broke.  I broke.  Not allowed this month.  I can swallow my pride, do the lower weights, and keep my heart rate up.

2. Work on form:  While I believe it was fatigue that led to my injury, my form needs work on all the major lifts, especially squat and bench.  Monday also conveniently starts a new strength cycle so weights will be low.  I will ask the coach running each class to watch me closely and cut me off as soon as form breaks down, regardless of weight or rep count.  NO GRINDING ALLOWED.  Unless in a competition, grinding out reps does not build strength or do anything beneficial besides boost my ego.  BONUS:  May try to video some sets and upload for critique here and in form check forum.

3. Stay the course on food: This is where I'll need the most support guys.  As discussed at the end of the last challenge, counting calories works.  It's not flashy and there are days when the scale still bounces up for whatever reason but if I eat ~3000 calories/day I lose ~2lbs per week.  I need someone to hold me accountable and call me on my bullshit here. Add me on myfitnesspal (markevivian).  Bug me if I don't update.  If I bitch and worry about the pounds not coming off and contemplate switching to some fad diet, call me on it.  Remind me that the pounds will continue to come off, because science.  Please.  2lbs per week puts me at 250 and strong by end of 2017. I just need to STAY. THE. COURSE.

Life goal:  I need to get back in to a routine when it comes to my days off. Injury has kept me from going up to the family farm to help and I'm supposed to be up there weekly working off food and board for my longhorn heifer.  Goal is to get up there Sunday 9/25, then alternate Mondays and Sundays.  (So 10/3, 10/9, etc)  I don't really care if it works out that way but I need to spend 4 days up at the farm to feel ok about leaving my animal up there.

If all goes according to plan this will be a very boring challenge so I apologize in advance.  At the end of of the month I want to be 10lbs lighter and rehabbed.  That is the ultimate goal.  Long as we get there it's a success. Then we can get back to strongman and 3 PRs per week and all that jazz.

Starting weight: 383.4

8.8lbs lost last challenge, 50.6lbs lost since respawn in April, 117.1lbs lost overall.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

Rock on brother!! Damn...can't believe the new forums are up already.

Way to get in first spot ;)

W0lf

Good to have you Wolfie!  Here's to a boring and productive bacta dunk!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

If all goes according to plan this will be a very boring challenge so I apologize in advance.  At the end of of the month I want to be 10lbs lighter and rehabbed.  That is the ultimate goal.

That is a good goal. Sometimes boring can be good! Too much excitement just breeds misfortune. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following, let me echo wolf in congratulating you on being first to post.

Good to have you sir, as always. I was surprised as any that there

8 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

That is a good goal. Sometimes boring can be good! Too much excitement just breeds misfortune. 

That was my feelings on it for sure.  Someday I'll be 250 and doing things like this:

Till then I can afford to be boring and take my time.

13 hours ago, bker1370 said:

Following along and added you on MFP.

*immediately goes and eats 3000 calories of boneless wings*

I forgot to mention I do some cheating from saturday afternoon through sunday.  Just fair warning.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Someday I'll be 250 and doing things like this

I remember when I tried to teach myself back flips with a buddy of mine in college. It went well until I got overconfident and tried to do it without a spotter... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

I remember when I tried to teach myself back flips with a buddy of mine in college. It went well until I got overconfident and tried to do it without a spotter... 

I've had very few major injuries in my life...one such was when I got good at backflips....lol. I was able to to them off the side of the pool and was banging them out ALL. SUMMER. LONG. Then we get to my little sisters b-day party/pool party...Things were going smoothly and I did one, trying to show my mom cuz I had been at my dads most of the summer. She missed it. So I did another. And when I jumped back, I realized I didn't jump out far enough...

I ended up with 6 staples. OUCH, BACKFLIPS! Hahaha...so I haven't done one since then lol. 

On another note, I liked the re-worked 1st post! Looks good man and YOU. WILL. STAY. THE. COURSE. I gotcha man. I'll call your BS if I spot it but I think you want it too bad. And you know it yourself- just stay the course ;) 

W0lf

• Like 2

I am absolutely terrified. However one of the coaches at my gym is certified by some gymnastics association and seems to know his shit so I feel like I'll be ok whenever I give it a shot. Once I get to the point where I can hit the 30" box jump on demand I'm gonna see about finding a mat and giving it a shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I've had very few major injuries in my life...one such was when I got good at backflips....lol. I was able to to them off the side of the pool and was banging them out ALL. SUMMER. LONG. Then we get to my little sisters b-day party/pool party...Things were going smoothly and I did one, trying to show my mom cuz I had been at my dads most of the summer. She missed it. So I did another. And when I jumped back, I realized I didn't jump out far enough...

I ended up with 6 staples. OUCH, BACKFLIPS! Hahaha...so I haven't done one since then lol. 

On another note, I liked the re-worked 1st post! Looks good man and YOU. WILL. STAY. THE. COURSE. I gotcha man. I'll call your BS if I spot it but I think you want it too bad. And you know it yourself- just stay the course  

W0lf

7d21f586a5154214e2626e4afc93e275.gif

• Like 1

Deadlifts are just like pizza, fun and satisfying, but if you do too much it's gonna hurt.

But I love both so much. Why must my back insist on limiting my love?

Speaking of too much pizza, having bker on myfitnesspal has already paid off. I went back today and filled in all the garbage I ate last night. I ate nearly 6000 fucking calories. 2600 over goal yesterday.

First reaction to that was shame, second was anger, now I've moved to acceptance. Can't do anything except understand that it is this kind of binge that really limits me and going back to eating like that is what put 85lbs back on in under 2 years. Going forward I'm going to have to put together a plan to limit my cheat weekends.

If he hadn't added me I wouldn't have bothered and wouldn't have had the wakeup call.

• Like 5

8efdbf56912cb56890fc1fe3dcc9c6e6.jpg

Dropping the kid off at school and then heading to the forst 9am class for the following WOD:

932ac8db25534ed950057a75426da070.jpg

(I believe the disclaimer at the beginning may be due to some giant guy who threw out his back going too hard...)

Looks like a perfect workout to come back to. Low weights and two rounds of Metcon. Only thing I'll need to be careful about is that push press at the beginning. It was a deadlift/ground2overhead Metcon that got me last time so I don't see me going for a new PR unless I feel REALLY good up around 135ish.

Im also very glad I got a bunch of practice jumping rope last challenge. Maybe I'll get a double under today. :D

• Like 3

Following along. That WOD sounds perfect for getting back into it. I cant do double unders and it is currently the bane of my existence when they come up in a workout...hope you hit them!

• Like 1

Great challenge again dude. Glad you're able to get back into things now. Enjoy your WOD today and be safe!

Good to have you along sir. Doing my best to keep it both safe and interesting.

WOD went really well.

Totally set a push press PR despite myself.

My highest ground to overhead was a 165lb clean and jerk. Worked up real slow today and 155 felt good so I went for it at 170 and got it!

Looks like the 9am class is going to be rather small. There were only two of us this morning. This is both good and bad. Bad because we need to keep enough people in there to make it worth having a 9am class, good because I want the attention a small class affords.

The coach for this class also has a degree in kinesiology and is a form junkie, just what I need. So we decided this whole strength cycle will be form first, weight second. He showed me how to brace my core (I never really had in that fashion, just clenched my abs) and how to turn my hands to activate my lats a little more on my deads. Only got 2 full rounds of strength in at 255lbs for deads but felt really good and the weight was shooting up.

Conditioning was rough. I went ahead with a 100l lb dead ball and managed to get through two rounds before back started getting tight with 3 mins left or so so I cut it off there.

Feeling really good. Icing the back and then gonna take a roasting hot shower to try to head off the soreness.

• Like 5

Following along. That WOD sounds perfect for getting back into it. I cant do double unders and it is currently the bane of my existence when they come up in a workout...hope you hit them!

Good to have you!

I didn't today but only because I was wiped already and the burpees and d-ball over shoulders really had me gassed. I did manage to match my PR of 26 consecutive singles though. So I'll take it!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

Nice job on he workouts. Don't forget to keep us up to date on your diet as well, so that we can digitally slap you if you get ranger brain. :P 

Ah good call.  Last night I was 87 calories under, today I'm scheduled to be ~250 under.  I like to leave that little cushion in case someone brings in delicious treatses. If no one does I generally enjoy a beer before bed and call it a day.

Fiancee cooked a huge pork roast sunday night so I have a bunch of 8oz portions already packaged up for carnitas burrito meals this week so we should be good to go for the week. 

WOD went well this morning.  Snatch complex, then front squat strength module, then The Bear complex for metcon.

Snatch complex was power snatch, hang snatch, two overhead squats.  I got a couple full complexes in at 95lbs. The couple that I failed were due to bailing on the OHS.  Balance isn't my strong point.

I set another PR despite myself after that.  We were prescribed to do front squats based on our max and I'd never maxed on front squats as I don't think I've ever been there on tuesday, front squat day.  So I cautiously worked up to 185 and cut it off there.  Pulled 225 off the rack but decided to STAY. THE. COURSE.  Was hard but it'll be worth it.  185 felt very strong and coach said I had good form.  The bracing he showed me yesterday helped a lot with stability.

The Bear complex is Power Clean - Front Squat - Push Press (not Thruster.  momentum must stop) - Back Squat - Push Press behind the shoulders.  I started at 95lbs and had no problem getting the 3 complexes in at that weight and had to leave early so I jumped to 135.  First attempt I failed the second push press, second attempt I skipped the front squat on accident but got all the rest.

As mentioned, had to leave after that (about halfway thru conditioning) as it was my first day going straight from gym to work. Toweled off in the bathroom, changed and made myself smell pretty and was to work on time.  I'm thinking this could be sustainable long term and really let me burn off some fat.  There were 7 people in there today, which bodes well for the class time.

Dentist appt today along with a regular day of work, then bench day tomorrow.  Going to message the 9am coach and see what he wants me to try.  I've got some kind of rotator cuff issue in my left shoulder that has made bench painful but not impossible the last couple months.  Tried using a swiss bar before my injury and that was better but still hurt.  I'll report back with what we do.

• Like 2

Oh, almost forgot!  My gym owner is going to put on a "novice-only" strongman show at his gym on December 3rd.  Trying my best to get the day off work so I can compete.  Super excited about it.

Fiancee is also looking at maybe doing a meet in St. Louis December 17th that would allow her to attempt national United States Strongman records in 18" deadlift (425), axle clean and press (no current record for her weight division), and a few other events.  I'm definitely encouraging her to. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

I am glad the new workout time seems to be working! I have trouble working out before work, but I really should be doing ut.

I love it personally.  I know that whatever gets thrown at me during my work day can not be as hard as some ridiculous complex my coach had me do at 9am.

*shrugs*  To each their own I suppose.

Have stuck to the cals today.  Glad I gave myself that ~250 cushion, as someone retired and there was cake.  I partook. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

I am glad the new workout time seems to be working! I have trouble working out before work, but I really should be doing ut.

I really should be too...  my only excuse is that mornings and I do not get along well LOL.

• Like 2