• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

7 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Maybe make the battles a random darebee workout, or random darebee dares? 

Only problem with that is when you have people with more physically demanding training schedules, adding extra physical training is off putting for participation.

8 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

Maybe make the battles a random darebee workout, or random darebee dares? 

I was thinking in that direction. But how to determine how many lives you lost during the fight? And how to determine if you win or lose at all?

You know the strength of the doodlie and the one attacking. The doodlie has done darebee workouts to level up their weapon, that should count for something. 

I don't know, maybe I'm pancaking again.

You could simplify the current dice system. Instead of doing a roll to drain HP roll to kill. If the roll succeeds the beast is dead. This way tou can still take skills in account but you have a simpler idea

sent from somewhere in history

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rab397 said:

You could simplify the current dice system. Instead of doing a roll to drain HP roll to kill. If the roll succeeds the beast is dead. This way tou can still take skills in account but you have a simpler idea

In that case it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you've got(just if it's a close range or long range weapon). I like that.

And if you don't kill it you'll lose hp or maybe you've got to do a challenge to survive?

4 hours ago, Rab397 said:

2 hours ago, Terah said:

In that case it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you've got(just if it's a close range or long range weapon). I like that.

And if you don't kill it you'll lose hp or maybe you've got to do a challenge to survive?

I also agree. Some more thoughts to simplify battles: If you wanted you could also make two rolls with your d10s one roll for attack one roll for evade (since I didn't see armor class or something similar) and then just compare the bonuses with the numbers. Then if we hit,we take off one of the beasts HP (1hp easy, 2hp medium, 3hp hard 4hp heroic, 5hp epic ex..) or just slay them if they only have 1hp left. To simplify damage they could deal 5x (or some other multiplier) their hps (2hp monster deals 10hp on one hit for ex). 

Battle Ex say I've got a 2 attack (total after bonuses) and 2 evade I want to attack a Devil-ed Egg [hp2] I roll an 8 on my attack (so I hit [had to roll 8-10 to hit]) Devil-ed egg goes to 1hp, but a 3 on my evade (so I also got hit [also needed an 8-10 to dodge]) and take 10 damage (2hp x 5 [monster damage multiplier] =10) Therefore, after one "round" of combat the Devil-ed Egg goes down to 1hp (maybe only the DM would know Monster Hp) and I go from 50hp- 40hp. Afterwards I could attack again or if someone else is with me they can attack the Devil-ed Egg too to try and kill it.

Thoughts? 

6 hours ago, Ryuu1011 said:

I also agree. Some more thoughts to simplify battles: If you wanted you could also make two rolls with your d10s one roll for attack one roll for evade (since I didn't see armor class or something similar) and then just compare the bonuses with the numbers. Then if we hit,we take off one of the beasts HP (1hp easy, 2hp medium, 3hp hard 4hp heroic, 5hp epic ex..) or just slay them if they only have 1hp left. To simplify damage they could deal 5x (or some other multiplier) their hps (2hp monster deals 10hp on one hit for ex). 

Battle Ex say I've got a 2 attack (total after bonuses) and 2 evade I want to attack a Devil-ed Egg [hp2] I roll an 8 on my attack (so I hit [had to roll 8-10 to hit]) Devil-ed egg goes to 1hp, but a 3 on my evade (so I also got hit [also needed an 8-10 to dodge]) and take 10 damage (2hp x 5 [monster damage multiplier] =10) Therefore, after one "round" of combat the Devil-ed Egg goes down to 1hp (maybe only the DM would know Monster Hp) and I go from 50hp- 40hp. Afterwards I could attack again or if someone else is with me they can attack the Devil-ed Egg too to try and kill it.

Thoughts? 

You are on to something!

Altering it a bit further:

A beast can be one of 5 levels. There HP is equal to their level, the damage they can do is 5 times their level. (This is the same as what you said)

The beast has a weapon proficiency too. This is twice their level and determines the change they have to hit you. (A level 3 beast has to roll 5 or higher to hit you for example, a level 5 beast always manages to hit you, level 1 needs a 9 or a 10 to hit you)

To attack take your weapon proficiency. And just like before that determines if you hit or miss. (For level 3 you need a 8, 9 or 10 to hit for example)

You always do 1 damage.

If both doodlie and beast miss the DM rolls again without the doodlie interfering, as to make it not too long a battle.

You still got quite a bit of rounds like this. Any way to make it even simpler? Or would that take away the fun of the battles?

1 hour ago, Terah said:

You still got quite a bit of rounds like this. Any way to make it even simpler? Or would that take away the fun of the battles?

The only way I can think to make it simpler is if it is/ can be, automatically assumed that the DM keeps rolling until one party is dead, someone rolls a critical, (miss or hit i.e. a 1 or natual 20 on the d20 system) or until another Doodlie says they are going to take an action within a given time window say 12 or 24 hours. But that doesn't really shut down the time problem just elevates the DM from having to be online for all of it, and just set up more of a battle window.

Some other ideas/ thoughts feel free to modify them/ take them or leave them, I'm just brainstorming some alternatives:

1.  What if bosses/ battles/ encounters/ stories had a group of objectives that had to be crossed off in order to defeat it/ overcome it, and any doodle could help defeat it by posting that they did the assigned task. These tasks could be related to our skills that we were leveling up and could have levels of difficulty based on current skill rank. 
  2. Monsters could have "vorpal" [instant kill] objective a hard-ish task based on the set monster's "weakness" (could be anything from cooking to stealth with a creative DM) 
  3. We cut monsters hitting us and us hitting them out (so take out HP all together) and just set easy (10), medium (25), and hard (50) monsters-workouts/task that we had to do in order to defeat the thing. Then set a recovery objective based on how long it took the doodles to complete the workout/task
    1. Ex: Devel-ed Egg [medium monster] to defeat the group must complete 25 pullups (or any variation there of) [or some other workout] (maybe 25 cycles of darebee's daily dare or something) Doodle's then post how many they did and that takes off of the monster's rep points. I do 10 pullups and post I did them the Devel-ed Egg still has 15 "hp"-reps that someone must do to defeat it

I think at the end of the day we just need to decide in what way do we want to simplify the game to make sure it's still fun for everyone involved (including the DM)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ryuu1011 said:

The only way I can think to make it simpler is if it is/ can be, automatically assumed that the DM keeps rolling until one party is dead, someone rolls a critical, (miss or hit i.e. a 1 or natual 20 on the d20 system) or until another Doodlie says they are going to take an action within a given time window say 12 or 24 hours. But that doesn't really shut down the time problem just elevates the DM from having to be online for all of it, and just set up more of a battle window.

Some other ideas/ thoughts feel free to modify them/ take them or leave them, I'm just brainstorming some alternatives:

1.  What if bosses/ battles/ encounters/ stories had a group of objectives that had to be crossed off in order to defeat it/ overcome it, and any doodle could help defeat it by posting that they did the assigned task. These tasks could be related to our skills that we were leveling up and could have levels of difficulty based on current skill rank. 
  2. Monsters could have "vorpal" [instant kill] objective a hard-ish task based on the set monster's "weakness" (could be anything from cooking to stealth with a creative DM) 
  3. We cut monsters hitting us and us hitting them out (so take out HP all together) and just set easy (10), medium (25), and hard (50) monsters-workouts/task that we had to do in order to defeat the thing. Then set a recovery objective based on how long it took the doodles to complete the workout/task
    1. Ex: Devel-ed Egg [medium monster] to defeat the group must complete 25 pullups (or any variation there of) [or some other workout] (maybe 25 cycles of darebee's daily dare or something) Doodle's then post how many they did and that takes off of the monster's rep points. I do 10 pullups and post I did them the Devel-ed Egg still has 15 "hp"-reps that someone must do to defeat it

I think at the end of the day we just need to decide in what way do we want to simplify the game to make sure it's still fun for everyone involved (including the DM)

I really like option 3.

What do the other doodlies say?

ETA: I like one and two too now that I think of it. I can't decide! The doodlie hive mind must help give the answer.

I really like 3.  It seems the simplest from a DM (and player) perspective and the whole point of the PVPs is to motivate us to do more (not just play - though I like just playing too)

Except we might want to have some non-workout option too in the event that someone's workout schedule is already demanding and there isn't room for more.  It could be something that either boosts the party's defenses (although would we need that?) or could provide a multiplier to those doing the workout, like a cleric.  For a hard monster with 25 HP, if the party/player needs to do 25 sets or 25 pushups but one of the members in that battle chooses the cleric activity of meditating, learning, etc... then it only takes some percentage of the 25 HP to defeat the monster... 75%?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyShello said:

Except we might want to have some non-workout option too in the event that someone's workout schedule is already demanding and there isn't room for more.

The DM can just offer a workout and a non-workout option? And if there are multiple party members fighting it can be a joined effort. Like walking 5 km's in total (one party member walks 2 and an other walks 3 km's for example). Or if the workout option is 3 rounds of darebee and the non workout option is 3 new recipes one doodlie can do 1 workout round and the other does 2 new recipes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Except we might want to have some non-workout option too in the event that someone's workout schedule is already demanding and there isn't room for more.  It could be something that either boosts the party's defenses (although would we need that?) or could provide a multiplier to those doing the workout, like a cleric.  For a hard monster with 25 HP, if the party/player needs to do 25 sets or 25 pushups but one of the members in that battle chooses the cleric activity of meditating, learning, etc... then it only takes some percentage of the 25 HP to defeat the monster... 75%?

3 hours ago, Terah said:

The DM can just offer a workout and a non-workout option? And if there are multiple party members fighting it can be a joined effort. Like walking 5 km's in total (one party member walks 2 and an other walks 3 km's for example). Or if the workout option is 3 rounds of darebee and the non workout option is 3 new recipes one doodlie can do 1 workout round and the other does 2 new recipes.

I really like this idea. Its kind of where I was going with option #1 

I'm pretty excited to start I've got some pretty good ideas! For when I DM :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryuu1011 said:

I really like this idea. Its kind of where I was going with option #1 

Haha, you're right. We re-invented your first option. We are pancaking again :D 

1 hour ago, Ryuu1011 said:

I'm pretty excited to start I've got some pretty good ideas! For when I DM :)

So you're willing to DM the third and fourth week? I've almost got a story together for the first two weeks, I still have to work out the details though.

• Like 1

So you're willing to DM the third and fourth week? I've almost got a story together for the first two weeks, I still have to work out the details though.

Yeah! I've got a plan :)

• Like 1

I've altered the fighting stuff in the rule book.

Altered sections:

• Health points (no HP anymore)
  • Ogre skill ("when your HP comes below 0" has become "when you get killed during a fight")
  • Weapon proficiency; scratched, not relevant anymore.
  • Evade skill
  • Weapons
  • Like 2

After Doc had a very good question about the charisma skill, I altered this in the rule book:

- For charisma you don't count the minutes watching your posture, but you count the days that you watched your posture for at least 10 minutes

If you notice anything else that's unbalanced, weird or could be better in the rule book, let me know. This is still a work in progress.

Let me know too if you want to add more skills, preferably with suggestions how to level them up. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2016 at 2:05 AM, Terah said:

I've altered the fighting stuff in the rule book.

Altered sections:

• Health points (no HP anymore)

I missed this change...  can you add something to the rule book about how battles will go and what happens if we get hurt, etc...  

BTW - I like what you did with the evade progression. :)  At the same time, I hate what you did.  That letter grid will haunt us for eternity..  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

can you add something to the rule book about how battles will go and what happens if we get hurt, etc...

Good idea. I've added this to the rule book. It's open for modifications off course

Spoiler

How to do battle

When a doodlie of a team of doodlies encounters an opponent it depents on the DM what will happen. He/she can give the opportunity for the doodlies to talk to the opponent (using their psyche skill), or he can choose to just attack.

For an attack the DM will set a challenge. He/she will determine what the minimum is a doodlie must do to survive, what they have to do to win, and what they’ll have to do to win plus get a bonus. The challenge will be a workout, with a non workout option for those that are not able to do the workout because of their own workout schedule, injuries or just life.

For example: The doodlies encounter a Big Furry Monster (BFM). The DM will give the doodlies a darebee workout as the workout option and a water drinking challenge as a non workout option.

Every darebee round will be one point, every liter of water drunk will be one point (it’s up to the DM to let the doodlies know this pointing system or not). There are 3 doodlies participating in the fight.

The DM decides that the minimum to survive the attack is 6 points (average 2 points per doodlie). If they get between 7 and 12 points they’ll kill the BFM, but get hurt, between 12 and 18 points they’ll have killed without getting hurt and above 18 points they’ll kill the beast and they get a treasure or a clue in their quest or something else that is fun or useful.

If you get killed you are dead. (Unless you’ve got the ability not to get killed off course, which you can’t use again until you’ve rested). You’ll have to start from scratch and make a new character. Sorry.

If you get hurt you can heal yourself by eating or sleeping (so take some food with you on your journey). The DM can decide to give you an eating or sleeping challenge IRL if your character does not have sufficient supplies to eat or sleep in the game.

If you get into another fight while being hurt, the challenge will be a lot harder for you to complete, and you’ll have to score really well if you don’t want to get killed.

I like what you did with the evade progression

At the same time, I hate what you did.  That letter grid will haunt us for eternity..

Whahaha. Yes, I just HAD TO use it :P 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Terah said:

Good idea. I've added this to the rule book. It's open for modifications off course

Hide contents

How to do battle

When a doodlie of a team of doodlies encounters an opponent it depents on the DM what will happen. He/she can give the opportunity for the doodlies to talk to the opponent (using their psyche skill), or he can choose to just attack.

For an attack the DM will set a challenge. He/she will determine what the minimum is a doodlie must do to survive, what they have to do to win, and what they’ll have to do to win plus get a bonus. The challenge will be a workout, with a non workout option for those that are not able to do the workout because of their own workout schedule, injuries or just life.

For example: The doodlies encounter a Big Furry Monster (BFM). The DM will give the doodlies a darebee workout as the workout option and a water drinking challenge as a non workout option.

Every darebee round will be one point, every liter of water drunk will be one point (it’s up to the DM to let the doodlies know this pointing system or not). There are 3 doodlies participating in the fight.

The DM decides that the minimum to survive the attack is 6 points (average 2 points per doodlie). If they get between 7 and 12 points they’ll kill the BFM, but get hurt, between 12 and 18 points they’ll have killed without getting hurt and above 18 points they’ll kill the beast and they get a treasure or a clue in their quest or something else that is fun or useful.

If you get killed you are dead. (Unless you’ve got the ability not to get killed off course, which you can’t use again until you’ve rested). You’ll have to start from scratch and make a new character. Sorry.

If you get hurt you can heal yourself by eating or sleeping (so take some food with you on your journey). The DM can decide to give you an eating or sleeping challenge IRL if your character does not have sufficient supplies to eat or sleep in the game.

If you get into another fight while being hurt, the challenge will be a lot harder for you to complete, and you’ll have to score really well if you don’t want to get killed.

Whahaha. Yes, I just HAD TO use it :P 

OK, the only think I don't understand is without HP what is the difference between getting killed and getting hurt?  

5 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

OK, the only think I don't understand is without HP what is the difference between getting killed and getting hurt?  

If you get hurt and you don't heal before the next fight, it will be harder to not get killed. 

For instance other doodlies (that aren't hurt) need at least 4 points to survive,  but you're hurt so you need at least 8 points. (Points can also be hours, exercise rounds, liters, cups whatever the challenge is)

18 hours ago, Terah said:

If you get hurt and you don't heal before the next fight, it will be harder to not get killed. 

For instance other doodlies (that aren't hurt) need at least 4 points to survive,  but you're hurt so you need at least 8 points. (Points can also be hours, exercise rounds, liters, cups whatever the challenge is)

OK, so being hurt isn't something quantifiable.  You are not hurt, hurt, or dead.  It's not like you can be hurt 'more'.  Do I understand correctly?

1 hour ago, LadyShello said:

OK, so being hurt isn't something quantifiable.  You are not hurt, hurt, or dead.  It's not like you can be hurt 'more'.  Do I understand correctly?

That was the idea. Off course the DM can decide you are "hurt very badly" and warns you  not to get into an other fight as you'll surely die for example. But that is an exception and up to the DM (I probably won't use it, but if you're DM'ing in the future you can decide to)

• Like 1

Doodlie Lore: The Dragonborn

In the time of the primordial batter before the appearance of the first pancake there was the Great Mother Serpent.  When she hungered she would take some of the primordial batter and thicken it into dough.  She would roast the dough with her fiery breath and it became bread and satisfied her hunger.  She would heat some of the waters of chaos and boil pieces of the dough before roasting them and they became bagel.  Again her hunger was satiated.

Out of curiosity or out of boredom, we shall never know, the Great Mother Serpent mixed the raw dough with the waters of chaos, and let the mixture sit.  After sometime it began to bubble and ferment thus was beer created.  The Great Mother Serpent drank the the beer but her hunger was not abated.  Bread and beer, bread and beer, the Great Mother Serpent could not stop. She began depleting the primordial batter at an astounding rate.

Her old friend the Great Syrup Yak saw this.  He went to speak to her, to help his friend.  She would have none of it.  He had to run his beautiful fur singed away by her fiery breath.  Before he left to rest and heal, the Great Syrup Yak created the first doodlie, the hero Yakduk.  Crying maple sticky tears the Yak commanded YakDuk to use the Buttery Blade of Morning and destroy the Great Mother Serpent before the primordial batter was gone forever.

Yakduk went and did as the Syrup Yak had commanded.  After a great battle Yakduk slew the Great Mother Serpent.  With the Buttery Blade of Morning he split her body into two halves and from those sprang the land and the heavens.  As Yakduk walked back to the Great Syrup Yak to inform him of what happened drops of the Great Mother Serpent's fiery venom fell across the land.

Once in a great while a being of power springs forth with a portion of the power of the Great Mother Serpent.  The strongest of these are the dragons.  The next are the dragonborn, those who appear as normal beings until a feat awakens the power in their blood.

• Like 3