On September 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM, iatetheyeti said:

I've scribble a note about the apps under my initial note. I'm going to look into it thoroughly before the end of the week and see what I come up with.

I recently downloaded an app called Relax Melodies. I have played around with it and it seems pretty good. It has a nice variety of sounds that you can combine for your own special white noise mix. There are plenty of sounds for free but you can purchase extras. I haven't tried it at night yet because it has still been warm enough to have a fan on which is enough background noise for me on most nights.  

• Like 1

Ranger/Recruit/Professional Do-gooder

Challenge #1Challenge #2, Challenge #3, Challenge #4, Challenge #5, Challenge #6

Challenge #7, Challenge #8Challenge #9, Challenge #10, Challenge #11,

Challenge #12, Challenge #13,  Challenge #14,

Challenge #15, Challenge #16 , Current Challenge

"The Hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live." -Buffy Summers

So glad to hear things are working out so well for you.  And I can truly relate to the long hours (I averaged 62.5/week last challenge LOL)

• Like 2

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

4 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

My life in a nut shell.

My dream for the short term is to be able to afford whatever food I want, regardless of proximity to payday. In the mean time, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best...

3 hours ago, honeybadger said:

I recently downloaded an app called Relax Melodies. I have played around with it and it seems pretty good. It has a nice variety of sounds that you can combine for your own special white noise mix. There are plenty of sounds for free but you can purchase extras. I haven't tried it at night yet because it has still been warm enough to have a fan on which is enough background noise for me on most nights.  

And that's been added right to the list, thank you!

46 minutes ago, bker1370 said:

So glad to hear things are working out so well for you.  And I can truly relate to the long hours (I averaged 62.5/week last challenge LOL)

I am in constant awe of you working 60+ hours weekly and still finding the time to workout and the like. Heh, my working hours only add up to somewhere between 45-50, but splitting them between two places makes it feel like more.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

3 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

but splitting them between two places makes it feel like more.

That makes total sense:

I have a 36 hour workweek (feeling a bit ashamed to say that here amongst all you hard working people). Which are 4 days of 9 hours. But when you count commuting and lunch it changes! I go to work at 06:30 and i'm home at 17:30, so that makes for 11 hours, times 4 days is 44 hours a week. Lunch and commuting makes up for 8 hours a week (on one job ;) )

I could have opted for a 4,5 day workweek, but that would be even worse (with lunch and commuting):

07:30 till 17:30 for 4 days is 40 hours, and friday would be 07:30 till 13:00 makes a total of 45.5 hour workweek

Finances aren't allowing it (cause the wife just recently changed from 28 to 24 hour workweek, yeah i know we both are blessed :D ) but i would really like to go to a 32 hour workweek, leaving for the office half an hour later, and coming home half an hour earlier. This will make sleeping better, and the nights longer to do stuff with the kids. But that won't be an option untill over a few years (about 10 i guess).

• Like 4

... a little odd in the head ...

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:04 PM, iatetheyeti said:

Just come off of a J2 shift, and I have to say I'm fast preferring this to J1. Don't get me wrong, I like J1. It's a fairly physical job and not particularly focused on customers, which is great, and some of my co-workers are even decent people. But the management sucks, for the most part, and I had my fill of petty blame games and snide comments at the pub. Whereas at J2 the manager (MD from here) has actually taken the time to observe how I do things and how I act in general, and has offered actual constructive feedback to me. Plus he needed no prompting to call me Tiff rather than my full name (which I actually hate, so hearing it all the time gets so grating), which has made me feel more comfortable.

So many jobs (and particularly retail and service jobs) live or die by their managers. I remember one pub Mrs worked at in particular, hugely popular, loyal staff. The manager left, the new one didn't have a clue how to manage people, and as a result the staff turnover went sky high and the profits went through the floor.

Glad your feeling so good in J2 anyway, it sounds like it suits you well :)

• Like 2

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 4  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 1  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Little and Often

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

On 9/22/2016 at 10:35 AM, mr_willes said:

That makes total sense:

I have a 36 hour workweek (feeling a bit ashamed to say that here amongst all you hard working people). Which are 4 days of 9 hours. But when you count commuting and lunch it changes! I go to work at 06:30 and i'm home at 17:30, so that makes for 11 hours, times 4 days is 44 hours a week. Lunch and commuting makes up for 8 hours a week (on one job ;) )

I could have opted for a 4,5 day workweek, but that would be even worse (with lunch and commuting):

07:30 till 17:30 for 4 days is 40 hours, and friday would be 07:30 till 13:00 makes a total of 45.5 hour workweek

Finances aren't allowing it (cause the wife just recently changed from 28 to 24 hour workweek, yeah i know we both are blessed :D ) but i would really like to go to a 32 hour workweek, leaving for the office half an hour later, and coming home half an hour earlier. This will make sleeping better, and the nights longer to do stuff with the kids. But that won't be an option untill over a few years (about 10 i guess).

Nah, no shame in those hours, especially when you've got a full household. Adding on the commute and the like does make things look so much worse though... For me, I allow half an hour to walk to (and from) J1 (it takes twenty minutes, but I like to be early), and twenty minutes to walk to (and from) J2 (which is like seven minutes away or something!). So that comes out at around an extra eight and a bit hours, if I added that up right. Bleh.

One day I will have one full time job and maybe even a car to get me there...

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

So many jobs (and particularly retail and service jobs) live or die by their managers. I remember one pub Mrs worked at in particular, hugely popular, loyal staff. The manager left, the new one didn't have a clue how to manage people, and as a result the staff turnover went sky high and the profits went through the floor.

Glad your feeling so good in J2 anyway, it sounds like it suits you well :)

Exactly so. This was why there was such a high turnover of staff at the pub I used to work at. The general manager was terrible for the most part, and the other managers were either lazy, bad at their job, or just plain unpleasant people.

...and there are only so many people to employ in such a small town.

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

It's business as usual here, mostly being fantastically tired. Didn't get my nap yesterday, so I basically turned into a grouchy toddler. Got it today, but I'm still grouchy. Those of you who have been around for a few challenges of mine might remember The Thing. It went quiet for a while, I was waiting on the other other end doing what they needed to do. And then yesterday I got a letter with my next instructions, which was fine. And then today I got another letter which made things worse.

...so I need to go back to the Helpful Government Employees and say, "Hey, part A can happen in this timeframe no problem, but part B is physically impossible. Next set of options please?" And really just hope for the best.

I can't do anything about it until Monday either, so it's just going to be sitting in the back of my mind, tickling my anxiety in unpleasant ways.

Not going to lie it's brought my mood down significantly and as a result I'm basically writing off today's schedule to make room for a whole lot of effort to bring my mood back up again. Step one was buying pizza when I topped up my electric. Step two is finding something to watch whilst eating said pizza. And that's as far as I'm thinking right now. Might do some knitting afterwards as the weather is getting significantly colder and my blanket hasn't moved along much.

The only things I haven't cleared from my schedule are things I can match up to daily missions. So I'm still going to do a mobility drill today, I'll still do some washing up, and I'm going to attempt to catch up with folks around here. But this place is moving so fast even with a load of folks at camp!

Tomorrow is a full day, so I'm really hoping that tonight yields a decent amount of sleep for me.

• Like 9

The government is always so "helpful" and their timing is so fantastically abysmal. :P Hope you're able to get it sorted soon. As for worrying about it, try not do. I know, tall order. I went to see Darren Brown in Leeds a few months ago and he said something that really resonated with me, so I'll share it here.

There is no good reason to worry about things in your life. Can you do something about it? If the answer is yes, then do what you can and don't worry about it because you've acted on it. If the answer is no, then there isn't anything you can do about it, so there is therefore no reason to worry.

It's a paraphrase, but it still holds true.

20 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Might do some knitting afterwards as the weather is getting significantly colder and my blanket hasn't moved along much.

I've been slowly crocheting a blanket as well. It's a huge granny square made up of 7 skeins of yarn (so far). I really should finish it as I've been working on it sporadically over the last 5 years.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

24 minutes ago, Muir said:

The government is always so "helpful" and their timing is so fantastically abysmal. :P Hope you're able to get it sorted soon. As for worrying about it, try not do. I know, tall order. I went to see Darren Brown in Leeds a few months ago and he said something that really resonated with me, so I'll share it here.

It's a paraphrase, but it still holds true.

I've been slowly crocheting a blanket as well. It's a huge granny square made up of 7 skeins of yarn (so far). I really should finish it as I've been working on it sporadically over the last 5 years.

Tell me about it... I'm trying to actively reduce how much I'm worrying and I'm trying to keep a lid on my anxiety, and it's kind of working. I've been following along the same kind of principle you quoted, and I've found the more I drum it in, the easier it is to abide by.

Five years?! Heh, I suppose that makes my roughly one year or so of blanket-making seem quite alright in comparison!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Tomorrow is a full day, so I'm really hoping that tonight yields a decent amount of sleep for me.

How'd ya sleep? I hope it was restful :) 

23 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Step two is finding something to watch whilst eating said pizza.

What did you end up watching? If you like zombies check out Scouts Guide to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. It was a pretty good movie and funny too :) 

W0lf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

23 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

How'd ya sleep? I hope it was restful :) 

What did you end up watching? If you like zombies check out Scouts Guide to Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. It was a pretty good movie and funny too :) 

W0lf

Semi-restful, which was something. I ended up watching The Fog (again, it's a weird kind of comfort film). Thanks for the film suggestion, I do like zombies so I'll be sure to check it out.

38 minutes ago, skinNbones said:

Page 7 !? Week zero seems to have missed me put this cycle. Following now.

The wisdom of age: don't stop walking.

Heh, I'm not sure what happened, but yeah, this seems to be moving along quite well! Glad to have you along :) 

The past few days have not really treated me well. Friday afternoon my legs started hurting. Kind of a dull all-over ache with no specific focus. I've dealt with worse, so I ignored it.

And then yesterday happened.

Pain in the morning, agony in the evening. Actual agony. Knives in my joints, muscles on fire, hobbling around at work, doesn't fade away no matter if you sit or stand or lie down, trying not to cry agony.

I have never felt that kind of pain over such a prolonged period of time.

And when I tried to go to sleep? Still agony. I think I got about half an hour in the end and it showed during work today, badly. I was a grouchy little shit and didn't care who knew it, which resulted in me snapping at one of the DMs. Luckily that resulted in a problem being about halfway solved and me being given permission to give people hell if they continued being dicks about actually doing any work.

Fortunately I've got the night off, and all of tomorrow. So I'm focusing heavily on rest. The pain is actually gone, it sort of ebbed away after I got home. But I'm taking no chances. So instead of doing my scheduled workout, I re-adjusted things, resulting in my new plans up until Friday (when the J2 rota runs out for the week).

On 9/17/2016 at 4:59 PM, iatetheyeti said:

WEEK ONE

The Schedules:

Sunday

Reveal hidden contents

6ad18c9e-9510-4cbb-8a4b-d16074b03ec4.jpg

Monday

Reveal hidden contents

003_1.jpg

Tuesday and Wednesday

Reveal hidden contents

004_1.jpg

Thursday

Reveal hidden contents

005_1.jpg

Friday

Reveal hidden contents

006.jpg

Saturday

And I'm trying to cheer myself up again tonight. Cooking up a lovely stake dinner complete with a bottle of Blind Pig to go along with it.

If noise levels allow, I'll go to be early, and I'm allowing myself a little bit of a sleep in tomorrow too.

• Like 5

Really sorry to hear you've been suffering. I would say make sure you get to the doctor if it doesn't clear, but I see you've already got it scheduled :) (also, I love "choose your own adventure").

Hope the steak and cider was good!

• Like 1

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Following you again after being absent for quite a few challenges!

I love the journal/ planning/ schedule idea. I may have to steal that idea at some point. I love writing things down and may actually give one of my notebooks a use.

Hope the pain goes away though!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

I love the journal/ planning/ schedule idea. I may have to steal that idea at some point. I love writing things down and may actually give one of my notebooks a use.

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a few days. Hope you're resting up well :) 

• Like 1

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Really sorry to hear you've been suffering. I would say make sure you get to the doctor if it doesn't clear, but I see you've already got it scheduled :) (also, I love "choose your own adventure").

Hope the steak and cider was good!

As much as I hate going to the doctor, I hate prolonged intense pain more. If it comes back, I'll book an emergency appointment.

The steak and cider was fantastic, definitely something I needed :D 

26 minutes ago, redimagination said:

Hey, good to see you back :D 

By all means, steal away!

13 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a few days. Hope you're resting up well :) 

No need to apologise! My rest evening has gone fantastically well, and hopefully it will be followed by an equally restful night...

• Like 3

Are you still feeling any pain, that's concerning to experience that level of pain only to have it go away the way it did.

I'd call that doctor if I were you. But in either case, I'm glad you're feeling better

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

8 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Are you still feeling any pain, that's concerning to experience that level of pain only to have it go away the way it did.

I'd call that doctor if I were you. But in either case, I'm glad you're feeling better

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get through to the doctor pretty much right now. The pain came back when I woke up, and it didn't get any less in the time it was away. I'm just hoping they'll give me one of the urgent appointments today, because I don't know if I can continue to work through it, not with two shifts a day.

8 hours ago, WorldSparrow said:

Glad the pain has gone away a bit, and I pray it doesn't return. Jealous of the steak!

...it came back :( But like I said to Red, I'm trying to do something about it and just sort of grinning and bearing it in the mean time.

• Like 2

Well, I can now say that I've probably experienced the worst wake-up of my life so far (that doesn't involve alcohol, that is). As I got to bed later than I would have liked I decided on ditching the wake-up time and just waking up whenever I woke up, so to speak. And it worked out well to begin with. I woke up just before 8am, and for a couple of seconds I was nice and cosy and content.

And then the pain kicked in on two fronts.

First my legs, and then my abdomen.

Because what I really need right now is an early shark week. Funny thing, trying to get to the bathroom in a hurry when you can barely walk is not so much fun.

That pretty much made up my mind, so once 8:30am hit, I started trying to get through to the surgery. Naturally, the line was engaged. It's always this way. They say call up at that time if you need to get a same-day appointment, or one in the current week, so the entire town calls up at that time. I got through twenty five minutes later, and thankfully I secured an appointment at 11:15am. Apparently I might have to wait a while, but I will definitely get seen today.

...and I'm taking a bus in. It goes against my saving money policy, but somehow I don't think walking for half an hour each way is a particularly good idea right now.

In the mean time I'm back to swallowing down ibuprofen, which is having enough of an effect that I can sit down and stand up without actually crying, and attempting to plan my day as much as I can around an event that will take an indeterminable amount of time.

Fun.

• Like 2

Good luck at the doctor today *hugs*

• Like 1

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler