5fc363a0270aabc740c55c2ce4ec6417.jpg

Balance

Restore

Energize

Accomplish

Transform

Humor

Engage

The original Project: B.R.E.A.T.H.E accountability group was started by @Kelliestrasza at the start of 2016.  I’d really like to bring it back into the spotlight and hope we Rebels as a whole can start to cultivate this space as an open, productive, and supportive system. <3

Fitness is first and foremost a very physical thing and often the mental and emotional aspects of our life journeys, Epic quests, and everyday challenges become pushed aside or shoved to the back burner, sometimes without us even realizing it.

fall-nature-animated-gif-11.gif

I noticed during the last challenge that a lot of Rebels seemed to be struggling with the junkier aspects of life - stress, anxiety, depression, lots of conflicting emotions and mental hurdles. (Um, self included!)  I think a lot of people - again, self included - don’t like to always dump this stuff out in their challenges or battle logs because it’s... well, just hard.  We feel like we’re always complaining or whining or just being negative or pessimistic all the time, that no one wants to read about our struggles, or that we’re bothering people with our troubles and concerns... but that’s just not true.  

Life is HARD, y’all. It takes a great deal of vulnerability to lay our struggles out for the world to see. If we can support ourselves through our physical changes then we should be able to support each other’s quests for good mental health and well-being, too!  And sometimes all it takes is another person’s perspective - another person that’s not mired down in your head and thoughts 24/7 - to shine a different light on things that may seem otherwise impossible.

I’d like this group to be a place where people can:

• Come and vent openly about any struggles they’re encountering in their lives, anytime, regardless of whether it’s just to vent and get things off their chest or seek advice and suggestions from others.

• Come to support and motivate others that are struggling, whether it be with a shared experience, motivation, or advice.

• Share not only your struggles but your victories too; defeating a mental dragon is HUGE, and you deserve applause and recognition for overcoming your own battles!

• Find kindness and compassion from others in a judgement-free zone.

• Feel welcome and know that they are not alone in their mental and emotional struggles.

As the weeks go on I’ll facilitate some group questions and discussions too, to keep the good energy flowing. :)

If anyone ever has any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.  I’m excited to bring this group back and see where it leads!! <3

fall-nature-animated-gif-21.gif

• Like 10

Discussion 1

Pre-Challenge Introduction

Hello, awesome human! (Or robot, we don’t judge here.)

Tell us a little about yourself, and one non-fitness related goal you’d like to work on during this upcoming challenge cycle.

Hi everyone, I’m shaar and I live in coastal North Carolina with my partner and our giant cat Finnegan. :)  I manage a behavioral health practice here, hence my passion for people and their brains and feelings.  (smol disclaimer) While I’m not a behavioral health professional by any means, I’ve worked with a lot of really intelligent and compassionate people and have picked up some great tips and tricks along the way that have helped to manage my personal anxiety and lizard-brain.

As far as fitness goes I really enjoy weightlifting, hiking, and exploring primal movement and mobility.  Hobbies include video games (currently FFXIV and replaying Life is Strange), reading (Neil Gaiman’s American Gods), binge watching horror movies, crafting, and getting outdoors as much as possible.

My non-fitness goal is to stop being intimidated by stupid adulting things I need to do and Get Them Done.  Namely, get my car to the mechanic, and get myself to the doctor for a yearly checkup.  I don’t know why I put these silly little mundane things off but I always do, and I KNOW I feel much better once things are sorted, but it’s the doing part... blech.

Ok, next!! ^__________^

• Like 6

Honestly teared up a little bit reading the intro post. Also, really loving that GIF of the leaf candles. <3

Hey, Shaar, may I ask what kind of crafting you do? Best wishes for your appointments!

_________________________________________________________________________________

I'm Miaulin, hailing from South Alabama. Currently live with my mom, brother, grandad, and four outdoor cats. (The youngest only recently arrived) I'm a writer and student, currently taking online classes until transportation allows for on-campus work. Right now, I'm preparing for a very basic test, but am still debating whether to pursue Coding, Linguistics, or Theology as a main focus when the time comes.

My fitness endeavors usually involve strength training and flexibility, with some running thrown in. I'd like to get into some climbing, parkour, or even dance, though. Hobbies include a lot of writing, drawing, crochet, knitting, sewing, Salt Light, learning skills, and...honestly anything that catches my interest at any given moment. :P

My battles with Bad Feelings as of late have thrown me seriously off my fitness, academics, and hobbies, so my goal is mainly to get back to those.

• Like 5

This is a great idea (and definitely something I need in my life right now).

So, hey, I'm Yeti, and I hail from the land of whiskey and haggis. I'm sort of at an 'in between' stage of my life where I'm holding down two jobs and trying to save up enough to move on to where I want to be. When I'm not stacking shelves or waitressing, I try to take advantage of as many free online courses and resources as possible to keep myself sharp until such time as I'm able to afford to re-enroll in uni.

Fitness-wise I'm mostly sticking to bodyweight stuff with a view to working back up to using weights regularly within the next couple of months.

My non-fitness goal is to get down a solid routine that will allow me to do everything I want to do without and get enough sleep. So it might be a bit of a tall order!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Hey, Shaar, may I ask what kind of crafting you do? Best wishes for your appointments!

HIHIHI <3333  Glad to see you!! :D

Crafting, I'm kinda all over the map on that one ^^;  I make candles and soaps and sugar scrubs, I like to knit but am not very good at it, I also like to sew but I'm not very good at it! XD  I've cross-stitched in the past and would like to do it again.  I'm really intrigued by "old world" trades like wood-burning and leatherworking and such, but wouldn't really know where to start...

2 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

This is a great idea (and definitely something I need in my life right now).

So, hey, I'm Yeti, and I hail from the land of whiskey and haggis. I'm sort of at an 'in between' stage of my life where I'm holding down two jobs and trying to save up enough to move on to where I want to be. When I'm not stacking shelves or waitressing, I try to take advantage of as many free online courses and resources as possible to keep myself sharp until such time as I'm able to afford to re-enroll in uni.

Fitness-wise I'm mostly sticking to bodyweight stuff with a view to working back up to using weights regularly within the next couple of months.

My non-fitness goal is to get down a solid routine that will allow me to do everything I want to do without and get enough sleep. So it might be a bit of a tall order!

WELCOME~ <3

Sleep is a seriously tall order.  If my sleep falls behind it really affects my mental and physical state for a long time while I catch up... sleep debt is the worst. :(

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, shaar said:

Sleep is a seriously tall order.  If my sleep falls behind it really affects my mental and physical state for a long time while I catch up... sleep debt is the worst. :(

True that...

There was a time where I could function reasonably well on four hours a night, give or take, but I need double that nowadays, and I very rarely get it. Hopefully learning to nap again will fix that right up!

• Like 1

Hello!  I'm Fiona from Scotland and this has popped up at a perfect time for me!

I'm a final year PhD student living alone with my nine pet rats (I know, I sound cooler by the minute!).  My main hobby is aerial circus but I'm grounded just now with a broken foot (so expect much whining about that....).  I'm also heavily involved in the Scottish Rat Club and read a lot.  

Fitness wise this challenge I'm mostly focussing on maintenance while my foot heals :(

Non-fitness is basically making PhD progress!  It's not down in my challenge thread, but it's the big'un.

• Like 5

What a great idea!  A place to whine vent and get some feedback.....

Hi, I am Rinna.  I am a 46 year old mother of 2, wife of 27 years to my high school sweetheart, and slave staff to my black lab and bengal cat.  I too am a crafter.  I want to DO ALL THE THINGS.  I currently knit and crochet, and occasionally spin- sleeping beauty style- with a drop spindle. Would love to sew but I'm not good at it, and have been interested in making beauty products but haven't taken the plunge. 

I suffer from clinical depression, for which I am taking medication which almost always works. But some days are just harder than others. So that's my dragon (named Tyrath) whom I battle regularly. With the regular exercise, it seems to have been better, maybe.  Also battling work issues with an unreasonable co-worker who thinks she rules the roost, knows best, and is Such. A. Freaking. Diva.  Usually drives me to either A. tears, or B. the urge to punch someone.  Sp, tears it is.  #Teamcryateverything

Sorry if I jumped the starting gun......

• Like 6

Hey all I'm Garjan. I live in New Jersey, USA with my boyfriend and dog. I adore my dog - you'll probably hear me talk about him lots because he is my heart. I work in manufacturing as a technical engineer. Meaning I help get stuff fixed when it breaks - especially on the computers side. And lately all of the machines have been breaking :( 

My exercise goals are sporadic at best. Mostly just trying to keep fit, though I miss the structure of playing a sport in university. My workouts lately have been running, yoga, and some bodyweight routines. My weekend (or day-off) adventures focus on hiking or going to the park with my dog. I LOVE hiking and have challenged myself to spend at least 1 day a week hitting the trails throughout autumn. Because autumn is a great time to hike - omg colorful leaves. 

Err... this challenge I have all non-fitness related goals (huh, maybe I should edit that). Drink water, have a healthy morning routine that doesn't leave me stressed and rushing to work because I'm late (again), and to draw every day. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

True that...

There was a time where I could function reasonably well on four hours a night, give or take, but I need double that nowadays, and I very rarely get it. Hopefully learning to nap again will fix that right up!

Yes yes same!!!  I remember I could stay up until 2 or 3am playing my video game of choice, go to bed, and be up at 9am like nothing happened... these days though... UGH.  Functioning fail! :(

Re-learning how to sleep enough can be very difficult, huh??

22 hours ago, Finisterre said:

Hello!  I'm Fiona from Scotland and this has popped up at a perfect time for me!

I'm a final year PhD student living alone with my nine pet rats (I know, I sound cooler by the minute!).  My main hobby is aerial circus but I'm grounded just now with a broken foot (so expect much whining about that....).  I'm also heavily involved in the Scottish Rat Club and read a lot.  

Fitness wise this challenge I'm mostly focussing on maintenance while my foot heals :(

Non-fitness is basically making PhD progress!  It's not down in my challenge thread, but it's the big'un.

RATS <33333333  And there is a rat club.  YES.  I love it so much!!!

Boo to a broken foot!!  That'll surely keep you grounded... I've always been interested in aerial but I get VERY motion sick at pretty much any given moment and worry I would have a terrible time!

What's your PhD in? :) Go go progress!!

19 hours ago, Rinna said:

What a great idea!  A place to whine vent and get some feedback.....

Hi, I am Rinna.  I am a 46 year old mother of 2, wife of 27 years to my high school sweetheart, and slave staff to my black lab and bengal cat.  I too am a crafter.  I want to DO ALL THE THINGS.  I currently knit and crochet, and occasionally spin- sleeping beauty style- with a drop spindle. Would love to sew but I'm not good at it, and have been interested in making beauty products but haven't taken the plunge. 

I suffer from clinical depression, for which I am taking medication which almost always works. But some days are just harder than others. So that's my dragon (named Tyrath) whom I battle regularly. With the regular exercise, it seems to have been better, maybe.  Also battling work issues with an unreasonable co-worker who thinks she rules the roost, knows best, and is Such. A. Freaking. Diva.  Usually drives me to either A. tears, or B. the urge to punch someone.  Sp, tears it is.  #Teamcryateverything

Sorry if I jumped the starting gun......

RINNA <3

#TeamCryAtEverything, we seriously need t-shirts, or maybe just little buttons because if people ask about our t-shirts it may make us cry.

I love that you named your dragon.

Oof, coworkers... my previous job had some real soulless husks of humans that were just plain mean, and sent me crying out the door more than a few times.  Every day really is a challenge..

16 hours ago, Garjan said:

Hey all I'm Garjan. I live in New Jersey, USA with my boyfriend and dog. I adore my dog - you'll probably hear me talk about him lots because he is my heart. I work in manufacturing as a technical engineer. Meaning I help get stuff fixed when it breaks - especially on the computers side. And lately all of the machines have been breaking :( 

My exercise goals are sporadic at best. Mostly just trying to keep fit, though I miss the structure of playing a sport in university. My workouts lately have been running, yoga, and some bodyweight routines. My weekend (or day-off) adventures focus on hiking or going to the park with my dog. I LOVE hiking and have challenged myself to spend at least 1 day a week hitting the trails throughout autumn. Because autumn is a great time to hike - omg colorful leaves. 

Err... this challenge I have all non-fitness related goals (huh, maybe I should edit that). Drink water, have a healthy morning routine that doesn't leave me stressed and rushing to work because I'm late (again), and to draw every day. 

YAY DOG!  What is his name??  :D

Ahhh jealous of your northeastern fall... I was just up in Massachusetts for a week and the leaves hadn't really started to turn yet.  I miss fall!  It's really underwhelming (and hot) here in the south.

Water is really hard for me too, I try, but often find myself reaching for coffee instead - whoops!! ^^;;

2 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

I absolutely adore this idea for group support. I adore it so much I'm considering making a challenge just to be a part of it.

I'll be back if that happens. :)

Gfjdskfhfas <33333  This is kind of the best.

So confession: I was really nervous about posting this group and I kinda hemmed and hawed over it for a few weeks because - of course - what if I posted it and no one cared or no one came or no one was ready enough to say "hi let's do this!"?  It was my big fear.  But we're only what, two days in?  And you guys!  YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

You are here!!!!

GOSH I'm so happy and excited!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I had a slow Monday morning but this has already made it so much better!!!  I hope everyone's Monday is starting well, or going well, depending on where you are in our Earth-time-continuum. :)

• Like 5

1) Your gifs of choice are gorgeous!

2) Hi! I'm Lotzo, and I live in the UK. I'm in my final year before uni, recently turned 18. I've been struggling on and off with depression for four years and have always had mild social anxiety. I'm currently studying to do Physics & Philosophy at uni, but I have no idea of where I want to go after that (which has admittedly been a source of stress). 

3) For fitness, I do like running (though I dislike how long it takes) and martial arts. I want to do it in a proper environment, but it is currently too expensive. I also want to try out dance some day (you'll find there are very few things I don't want to try out). I love to read and write, and I also love experimenting with all forms of art. My favourite authors are Pratchett and Sanderson, though Gaiman has a special place in my heart. I also love Dungeons & Dragons, though it's also a source of some more anxiety (expect a more indepth post later),

4) For non-fitness, my aim is to get good habits for studying. My results last year were incredibly disappointing, and I need to step up my game tenfold. 

But there ya have it, a little about me! Thanks for creating such a cool group!

• Like 5

Oh, right, guess I should introduce myself.

I'm Jess. I live in the DC area (Maryland side represent!) and work as an elementary school counselor. Along with the job stress, I am working with my depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Some days they influence me more than others, and my finite willpower must be used strategically as it dwindles. Working on my head space is a big focus in my daily log at the moment, and will most likely be a part of my challenge. Fitness-wise I love lifting, but want to get into climbing and aerial silks. Hikes are also fun, and I am super excited for fall for that very reason. My non-fitness goals are not only my head space, but also making small steps of progress toward my work life and my home space. Basically I'm breaking things down into single, small steps at a time since I need a lot of scaffolding to be productive and make new habits.

My interests are all over the place. I love crafting, reading fiction, playing Dungeons and Dragons (currently DMing two campaigns, eeeek), cooking, and exploring the awesome social life of DC. I also am one of the social chairs of the DC NF group (by accident, mostly). I live with my partner of almost five years (yeesh, we're like an old married couple already), and many of my upcoming weekends are taken with wedding events for some dear friends of mine.

Its nice to meet (and re-meet) you all!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

I can't stop smirking at that GIF, Shaar, it's hilarious!

Thank you for putting this group together, by the way! <3

It's probably one of my top 5 favorite gifs of all time~ XD

Thank you for joining!! <3

4 hours ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

1) Your gifs of choice are gorgeous!

2) Hi! I'm Lotzo, and I live in the UK. I'm in my final year before uni, recently turned 18. I've been struggling on and off with depression for four years and have always had mild social anxiety. I'm currently studying to do Physics & Philosophy at uni, but I have no idea of where I want to go after that (which has admittedly been a source of stress). 

3) For fitness, I do like running (though I dislike how long it takes) and martial arts. I want to do it in a proper environment, but it is currently too expensive. I also want to try out dance some day (you'll find there are very few things I don't want to try out). I love to read and write, and I also love experimenting with all forms of art. My favourite authors are Pratchett and Sanderson, though Gaiman has a special place in my heart. I also love Dungeons & Dragons, though it's also a source of some more anxiety (expect a more indepth post later),

4) For non-fitness, my aim is to get good habits for studying. My results last year were incredibly disappointing, and I need to step up my game tenfold. 

But there ya have it, a little about me! Thanks for creating such a cool group!

Thank you!  (I may or may not have bookmarked a couple of high quality gif sites...)

Ooh, what is your favorite Gaiman book?  I just finished American Gods and loved it :)

Career and life choices like that are so difficult.  One of my biggest stressors is my career.  Blech.

4 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

Oh, right, guess I should introduce myself.

I'm Jess. I live in the DC area (Maryland side represent!) and work as an elementary school counselor. Along with the job stress, I am working with my depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Some days they influence me more than others, and my finite willpower must be used strategically as it dwindles. Working on my head space is a big focus in my daily log at the moment, and will most likely be a part of my challenge. Fitness-wise I love lifting, but want to get into climbing and aerial silks. Hikes are also fun, and I am super excited for fall for that very reason. My non-fitness goals are not only my head space, but also making small steps of progress toward my work life and my home space. Basically I'm breaking things down into single, small steps at a time since I need a lot of scaffolding to be productive and make new habits.

My interests are all over the place. I love crafting, reading fiction, playing Dungeons and Dragons (currently DMing two campaigns, eeeek), cooking, and exploring the awesome social life of DC. I also am one of the social chairs of the DC NF group (by accident, mostly). I live with my partner of almost five years (yeesh, we're like an old married couple already), and many of my upcoming weekends are taken with wedding events for some dear friends of mine.

Its nice to meet (and re-meet) you all!

I used to live in suburban DC/MD too, cool!!!  (Germantown for many years!)

You are so spot on about strategically allocating dwindling willpower.... so difficult.  Especially the days where you're already running on E. ; ;  Three cheers for tiny sustainable steps, that's how I need to view things too or else I tailspin and fail in a big explosion of sads~

Welcome!! :D:D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shaar said:

Thank you!  (I may or may not have bookmarked a couple of high quality gif sites...)

Ooh, what is your favorite Gaiman book?  I just finished American Gods and loved it :)

Career and life choices like that are so difficult.  One of my biggest stressors is my career.  Blech.

I love Good Omens so much that it might be a problem :P 

And the more gifs the merrier! 

Image result for yay gif

• Like 2

Hi!i love this idea, I also really needed to read the breathe letter above which I will be printing and putting up in my spare room, also if you don't mind I'd like to share it with some fb friends in a group chat we have going.

so, I'm Vicki, I live in ohio (but really I'm British) with my two cats.  I work in my families business.  I'm just ending 5 years of post grad work doing a masters in infectious diseases.  So I worked full time, did school part time and basically had no life at all for five whole years!  I suffer from anxiety and social awkwardness, I'm also quite an introvert.  In August I had a few weeks off school waiting for feedback from my thesis supervisor and I realised how little I actually do that isn't school and work.  So, I found the forums and have started on my quest to get in shape, unfortunately getting in shape isn't stopping me being quite lonely.  I find it difficult to make friends because I come across as standoffish (the anxiety of meeting new people gets to me) so my social group is quite limited.  I have a horse and ride at weekends with some barn friends (who are all retired) and that's fun and gets me out of the house.

My fitness goals are to get strong and put in some weight.  

My non fitness goals are to finish and hand in my thesis, try to make some actual real life friends (it's going to be so hard not to bitch face everyone I meet) and to hug Sebastian Stan.  I'm keeping my goals realistic I think. 

• Like 5

Thank the maker for this group! I've been struggling even more than normal with my depression than normal. I've been having more and more trouble just living my everyday life. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm determined to get through this 4 week challenge, and I'm so glad for this group now! 

Ok! About me! I'm Issa, I'm 32 and live in Montana. I work as an account assistant for the food services department at the hospital in town. I'm single, but I have a dog that is my everything named Zoey and an asshole cat named Shabadoo. I've been off the healthy/fitness bandwagon for a while and am working on fixing that now. 

I am getting back into exercise slowly. I walk my dog, I'll have to figure something else out when it gets too cold for that. I have a gym at work I can use, so I plan on starting to go there once a week so I can get used to that again. I'm also going to start doing some bodyweight workouts, so that I can get some strength back and start doing free weights again. 

I'm going to work on journaling to try and figure out my headspace. I also want to work on writing a story. I want the story to be a metaphor about the struggles with depression. 

Well I guess that's all for now! 

• Like 4

On 17/9/2016 at 8:15 PM, shaar said:

Hello, awesome human! (Or robot, we don’t judge here.)

This reminds me

PFv7nwu.jpg

Feels relative, no?

On topic, I'm DarK_Raider (or D_R if you're into the brevity thing) and I live in Greece with my Special Ranger Lady Friend (or SRLF to keep it short) and Jabba the Cat. I'm a legal professional working as a G-man for now, but recently branched out back towards my corporate law interests once more. I've also just entered into the second year of my second ever masters' degree, full of electives and a final dissertation to be submitted by spring. There's also a bunch of other stuff I'm into, from the board of a municipal company to a union of negotiators and various mediation organizations. These last two are probably what can be of most help on this topic, as they have taught me a lot on emotions and empathy.

Fitness-wise, I was a teenage swimmer who went through the whole university-lazy-fat cycle before resurfacing in 2013 to join a bro gym, quickly switching to crossfit. A month ago I joined a Muay Thai dojo and I've also picked up stuff from attending random Krav Maga events and trainings, since the SRLF does that one. Hobbies include escaping the city, attending various athletic competitions like races, OCRs, crossfit events and playing the occasional videogame when I can. I am also a huge wrestling fan with a taste for alternative promotions (Original ECW, Lucha Underground, Wrestling Society X etc).

I was thinking of something like "survive the overload of crazy" as my non-fitness goal, but I've done that successfully in the past, even with life throwing all sorts of curveballs my way. Instead, I want to be a better partner for the SRLF. Let me explain that for a moment, I'm a single child and most of my relationships so far were either long-distance or short enough to be abandoned when the first argument broke out. This is the first "real" thing and despite my age and mileage on paper, I'm still pretty green when it comes to communication and being with someone, apparent by our big arguments on a monthly basis. It is exhausting emotionally, it is harmful to us and I am not proud of myself looking back. This November will mark our one year anniversary and I want it to be on better terms than it has been so far.

Whew, that felt heavier than I thought typing it out.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, shaar said:

RATS <33333333  And there is a rat club.  YES.  I love it so much!!!

Boo to a broken foot!!  That'll surely keep you grounded... I've always been interested in aerial but I get VERY motion sick at pretty much any given moment and worry I would have a terrible time!

What's your PhD in? :) Go go progress!!

I :love_heart: my rats.  Even if they are all completely batshit!  I'm actually in three rat clubs.....the Scottish Rat Club, the North of England Rat Society and the National Fancy Rat Society.  Because you can never have too many rat clubs! 

There's not much motion involved in a lot of it really, I mainly focus on static trapeze and at the beginner level the only motion is what you are doing!

Computational genetics.  Which is as exciting as it sounds really.  Progress is not being helped by the fact I'm off one of my meds atm because I need to go pick up my prescription but I feel bad enough that my friend is already driving me to and from work so don't want to ask her to detour to the doctor as well :/

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

I love Good Omens so much that it might be a problem :P 

Ok wait a Gaiman/Pratchett COLLAB!?!!?!?!

giphy.gif

Mother of kittens I think I have the rest of my 2016 reading list sorted!! I'd never read a ton of Gaiman before - pretty much just Stardust, and the few volumes of Sandman I have, and I own the tarot cards he collaborated with Dave McKean on (mirrormask<3) - so I tried to read American Gods last year and had a really hard time plugging through it.  I put it down halfway through and decided to try it again a month ago... I guess now's the right time because I'm hooked!! XD

12 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

Hi!i love this idea, I also really needed to read the breathe letter above which I will be printing and putting up in my spare room, also if you don't mind I'd like to share it with some fb friends in a group chat we have going.

so, I'm Vicki, I live in ohio (but really I'm British) with my two cats.  I work in my families business.  I'm just ending 5 years of post grad work doing a masters in infectious diseases.  So I worked full time, did school part time and basically had no life at all for five whole years!  I suffer from anxiety and social awkwardness, I'm also quite an introvert.  In August I had a few weeks off school waiting for feedback from my thesis supervisor and I realised how little I actually do that isn't school and work.  So, I found the forums and have started on my quest to get in shape, unfortunately getting in shape isn't stopping me being quite lonely.  I find it difficult to make friends because I come across as standoffish (the anxiety of meeting new people gets to me) so my social group is quite limited.  I have a horse and ride at weekends with some barn friends (who are all retired) and that's fun and gets me out of the house.

My fitness goals are to get strong and put in some weight.  

My non fitness goals are to finish and hand in my thesis, try to make some actual real life friends (it's going to be so hard not to bitch face everyone I meet) and to hug Sebastian Stan.  I'm keeping my goals realistic I think. 

Welcome!!  Yes please print it, I found it on the internet and it is my #1 "come back to reality shaar" inspirational bit that I read when I'm having a wiggins about anything.  I have it stored on my phone in case of emergency <3

It's so so so so so hard.... to make friends as an adult.  I too suffer from Resting Bitch Face, I swear I like (some) people, it's just my face!  But yeah between anxiety and just trying to find people that have things in common with you, it's exhausting.

I have just Googled Sebastian Stan (I'm not a big Marvel movie gal) and I agree that is a very realistic and profitable goal!! :D

9 hours ago, IcePrincess said:

Thank the maker for this group! I've been struggling even more than normal with my depression than normal. I've been having more and more trouble just living my everyday life. I feel like I'm drowning. I'm determined to get through this 4 week challenge, and I'm so glad for this group now! 

Ok! About me! I'm Issa, I'm 32 and live in Montana. I work as an account assistant for the food services department at the hospital in town. I'm single, but I have a dog that is my everything named Zoey and an asshole cat named Shabadoo. I've been off the healthy/fitness bandwagon for a while and am working on fixing that now. 

I am getting back into exercise slowly. I walk my dog, I'll have to figure something else out when it gets too cold for that. I have a gym at work I can use, so I plan on starting to go there once a week so I can get used to that again. I'm also going to start doing some bodyweight workouts, so that I can get some strength back and start doing free weights again. 

I'm going to work on journaling to try and figure out my headspace. I also want to work on writing a story. I want the story to be a metaphor about the struggles with depression. 

Well I guess that's all for now! 

You can do it!!!!!  Everyday life is HARD.  I wish people got more credit for just getting through the day - sometimes just coming out on the other side unscathed and breathing is the biggest victory ever. <3

YAY PETS ^^  I am jealous of people that have dogs and get to walk them everywhere... someday I'll have a dog to walk and hike and adventure with!  Cats just don't care so much for those types of things. XD

Journaling is amazing and great, we have a lot of people here at my work doing it, and I have a few self-care journal templates that I've turned to when things really get rough.  It's a nice grounding option and lots of times just seeing stuff on paper makes it a little easier to cope with.

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

This reminds me

PFv7nwu.jpg

Feels relative, no?

On topic, I'm DarK_Raider (or D_R if you're into the brevity thing) and I live in Greece with my Special Ranger Lady Friend (or SRLF to keep it short) and Jabba the Cat. I'm a legal professional working as a G-man for now, but recently branched out back towards my corporate law interests once more. I've also just entered into the second year of my second ever masters' degree, full of electives and a final dissertation to be submitted by spring. There's also a bunch of other stuff I'm into, from the board of a municipal company to a union of negotiators and various mediation organizations. These last two are probably what can be of most help on this topic, as they have taught me a lot on emotions and empathy.

Fitness-wise, I was a teenage swimmer who went through the whole university-lazy-fat cycle before resurfacing in 2013 to join a bro gym, quickly switching to crossfit. A month ago I joined a Muay Thai dojo and I've also picked up stuff from attending random Krav Maga events and trainings, since the SRLF does that one. Hobbies include escaping the city, attending various athletic competitions like races, OCRs, crossfit events and playing the occasional videogame when I can. I am also a huge wrestling fan with a taste for alternative promotions (Original ECW, Lucha Underground, Wrestling Society X etc).

I was thinking of something like "survive the overload of crazy" as my non-fitness goal, but I've done that successfully in the past, even with life throwing all sorts of curveballs my way. Instead, I want to be a better partner for the SRLF. Let me explain that for a moment, I'm a single child and most of my relationships so far were either long-distance or short enough to be abandoned when the first argument broke out. This is the first "real" thing and despite my age and mileage on paper, I'm still pretty green when it comes to communication and being with someone, apparent by our big arguments on a monthly basis. It is exhausting emotionally, it is harmful to us and I am not proud of myself looking back. This November will mark our one year anniversary and I want it to be on better terms than it has been so far.

Whew, that felt heavier than I thought typing it out.

THAT COMIC IS THE BEST.  SO TRUE.  Wow I'm going to save that one~

Holy crap man one year, it's been that long?!  That is awesome!!!!  You both deserve huge congrats for working together and problem solving so much so far!!  Communication is really hard, because everyone communicates ~*~ differently~*~ and at different levels and just learning and re-learning how to do it is a real kinda vulnerable and humbling experience.  And painful sometimes.  Ugh.

But with each argument you're both learning and that's pretty admirable. :) If anyone can conquer it, YOU CAN~

2 hours ago, Finisterre said:

I :love_heart: my rats.  Even if they are all completely batshit!  I'm actually in three rat clubs.....the Scottish Rat Club, the North of England Rat Society and the National Fancy Rat Society.  Because you can never have too many rat clubs! 

There's not much motion involved in a lot of it really, I mainly focus on static trapeze and at the beginner level the only motion is what you are doing!

Computational genetics.  Which is as exciting as it sounds really.  Progress is not being helped by the fact I'm off one of my meds atm because I need to go pick up my prescription but I feel bad enough that my friend is already driving me to and from work so don't want to ask her to detour to the doctor as well :/

Fancy

Rat

Society

<3<3<3<3 

I wonder if at a beginner level I could ease into it and get myself to do it in a non-motion-sick way... hmmm...!!

Ugghhh I hate burdening people with stuff, too!!!!! ><  It makes me feel awkward and even if people want to help I always think I'm just being a huge PITA - which is just silly because on the flipside, I always am happy to help and no one is ever a PITA in my eyes!  Sheesh, brains.  I hope you can get your script soon <3

Since a lot of us have mentioned pets, I figure I'll pay the Pet Tax with a picture of my cat:

Here is Finnegan in all of his lazy cat glory - he is 18# of mighty muscle cat and is very strong BUT is also scared of most things so it works in our favor. :3  He's 9 years old and sleeps with that foot out because he had some kneecap issues early on that required surgery and didn't quite heal right!  For a big cat with a bumblefoot it sure doesn't stop him from getting around the house and up onto the fridge to survey his kingdom XD

He had a twin sister Kerrigan that passed away suddenly last month due to heart problems.  They looked exactly alike except she was tinier, and we all miss her a whole lot!  Pets leave such a giant hole when they're gone, but they bring so much joy; even though losing them is hard I'll never not have pets :) <3

• Like 4

On 9/18/2016 at 5:24 PM, Finisterre said:

I'm a final year PhD student living alone with my nine pet rats (I know, I sound cooler by the minute!). 

I don't know, Scottish and nine rats? I think that's the cool part sorted :P 

...honestly, as soon as I live somewhere that actually allows pets, I want rats.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:12 PM, Garjan said:

I LOVE hiking and have challenged myself to spend at least 1 day a week hitting the trails throughout autumn. Because autumn is a great time to hike - omg colorful leaves. 

THIS. It's about 50/50 as to whether we get an autumn here or whether it skips straight to rainy season, but when we do get an autumn it looks incredible and I will take any excuse to get out into the glen.

13 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

So I worked full time, did school part time and basically had no life at all for five whole years!  I suffer from anxiety and social awkwardness, I'm also quite an introvert.  In August I had a few weeks off school waiting for feedback from my thesis supervisor and I realised how little I actually do that isn't school and work.  So, I found the forums and have started on my quest to get in shape, unfortunately getting in shape isn't stopping me being quite lonely.  I find it difficult to make friends because I come across as standoffish (the anxiety of meeting new people gets to me) so my social group is quite limited.

...yep, this is basically me right now. It was fine in uni, but then that ended and everyone moved away and I stayed here to adopt the 'all work no play' life. I'm sure there's a trick to making friends as an adult, but I haven't figured it out yet.

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Since a lot of us have mentioned pets, I figure I'll pay the Pet Tax with a picture of my cat:

Here is Finnegan in all of his lazy cat glory - he is 18# of mighty muscle cat and is very strong BUT is also scared of most things so it works in our favor. :3  He's 9 years old and sleeps with that foot out because he had some kneecap issues early on that required surgery and didn't quite heal right!  For a big cat with a bumblefoot it sure doesn't stop him from getting around the house and up onto the fridge to survey his kingdom XD

He had a twin sister Kerrigan that passed away suddenly last month due to heart problems.  They looked exactly alike except she was tinier, and we all miss her a whole lot!  Pets leave such a giant hole when they're gone, but they bring so much joy; even though losing them is hard I'll never not have pets :) <3

He is actually adorable! All you folks with pets, I'm jealous :P I grew up with dogs, in fact I don't really remember a time when the family didn't have a dog, but yeah, when we lost one it was rough. Two had to be re-homed for behavioural issues (one started snapping at my little brother back when he was fun-sized, one took issue with my mother) which was bad enough, but the last two died and that was difficult to deal with because they were both young (one three when he went of a heart attack, one five when he died of a twisted gut) and it just came out of nowhere.

...won't stop me getting a dog when I'm in a secure enough situation that I can, though. I've spent the last five years with plants instead of pets and it really, just isn't the same!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Welcome!!  Yes please print it, I found it on the internet and it is my #1 "come back to reality shaar" inspirational bit that I read when I'm having a wiggins about anything.  I have it stored on my phone in case of emergency <3

It's so so so so so hard.... to make friends as an adult.  I too suffer from Resting Bitch Face, I swear I like (some) people, it's just my face!  But yeah between anxiety and just trying to find people that have things in common with you, it's exhausting.

I have just Googled Sebastian Stan (I'm not a big Marvel movie gal) and I agree that is a very realistic and profitable goal!! :D

Great! i sent it to some friends and they liked it's message.

Making friends as an adult (who aren't internet friends) is the hardest thing.  I have no social graces but i want to make friends, then when i meet people my mind goes 'these people are no good... they won't want to be your friend' so i give off a very bad first impression.  I have made some friends by attending conventions, i went to Denver con for Supernatural and made a nice group of friends who i talk to on fb most every day and have visited.  we also have plans to go to new orleans in 2017.  BUT they are in Denver and i am not. So my regular social acquaintance consists of 2 quite old ladies and my parents.  I moved to the US from England after uni and work with my dad, so meeting people (any people) is so hard and unlikely.  

Yes, he's lovely.  I have plans to meet and hug the life out of him at the end of October at a con in Tulsa.  The trick will be trying not to steal him.

Your kitty is cute. I have a white kitty,  Mischa is 8lbs of pure hell and fury.  

photo%2072_zpsiihhh2io.jpg

She hates change so much and is the most anxious cat i've ever met.  Her brother Spencer is big and orange and laid back.  I am also the crazy cat lady who walks her cats on leashes; its fun but very slow and ambling as they like to investigate everything.

Then there's this giant loon, yay petspam!

1479538_10153588192605201_423182773_n_zp

4 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

...yep, this is basically me right now. It was fine in uni, but then that ended and everyone moved away and I stayed here to adopt the 'all work no play' life. I'm sure there's a trick to making friends as an adult, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Exactly.  I moved from the UK to the US straight after uni, came to work with my dad and basically see no one.  Through riding and the barn i've made a couple of 'barn buddies' but they are older ladies who are retired.  I tend to meet people going to cons, i went to a supernatural con in Denver a last year and met a nice group of people who i've since visited.  We have plans for new orleans next year but because they live so far away its tough, it's not like i can call them up to go watch a movie or whatever.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I don't know, Scottish and nine rats? I think that's the cool part sorted :P 

...honestly, as soon as I live somewhere that actually allows pets, I want rats.

Hahaha usually when people find out about the rats it goes the other way...

Getting them was the first thing I did when I got my PhD and knew I was going to be living in my own flat for four years.  I mean I started with two but they're a bit like Pringles really XD

Also did someone say pet-spam......

• Like 4

Ok, so your rats are about the cutest things ever :D

25 minutes ago, Finisterre said:

Hahaha usually when people find out about the rats it goes the other way...

Getting them was the first thing I did when I got my PhD and knew I was going to be living in my own flat for four years.  I mean I started with two but they're a bit like Pringles really XD

I'm trying to track down a pet-friendly place for my next move, or at the very least a landlord who would be amenable to small pets like rats. I've done almost two years on my own now, and I don't much like it. And seeing as living with people is highly unlikely to be in my future...

Heh, but if they really are like Pringles then I may end up with more than a couple!

• Like 1