Wildross: the national version

wildross

So in lieu of Camp Nerd Fitness, I'm going to the USAPL Raw Nationals in Atlanta, GA this year.

I don't expect to set any records.  This is a "I was able to show up and lift" victory type of competition.  I've been a bit distracted with all the stuff that's gone on.  Not sure if Christartist is going to be with me or not.  The meet is on the tail end of a 2 week trip to Atlanta, Ohio then Atlanta again.  Her best friend's oldest daughter is getting married on that Saturday and she is torn between coming to the meet with me and going to the wedding (I think she should go to the wedding).  

In good news, I earned Southwest's companion fare status, which means she flies for free from now until 12/31/2017....

I'm probably going to keep posting in my battle log as well as here.  More commentary here.

1) Go to the Nationals and compete.  9 good lifts are more important than the totals

2) Figure out what cancer treatment to go for

3) Help Christartist to get our house more organized

4) Get stronger.

• Like 10

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

So in lieu of Camp Nerd Fitness, I'm going to the USAPL Raw Nationals in Atlanta, GA this year.

I don't expect to set any records.  This is a "I was able to show up and lift" victory type of competition.  I've been a bit distracted with all the stuff that's gone on.  Not sure if Christartist is going to be with me or not.  The meet is on the tail end of a 2 week trip to Atlanta, Ohio then Atlanta again.  Her best friend's oldest daughter is getting married on that Saturday and she is torn between coming to the meet with me and going to the wedding (I think she should go to the wedding).  

In good news, I earned Southwest's companion fare status, which means she flies for free from now until 12/31/2017....

I'm probably going to keep posting in my battle log as well as here.  More commentary here.

1) Go to the Nationals and compete.  9 good lifts are more important than the totals

2) Figure out what cancer treatment to go for

3) Help Christartist to get our house more organized

4) Get stronger.

Oh, and get better at tracking the foods. I've been on a keto diet since 8/18, but need to dial it.in now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tally Sheet for 2019

17 hours ago, wildross said:

Oh, and get better at tracking the foods. I've been on a keto diet since 8/18, but need to dial it.in now

How has keto been working out for you? What are your thoughts on duration and switching gears?

How has keto been working out for you? What are your thoughts on duration and switching gears?

Down 13# and feeling great!

Pretty easy actually. Just avoid all sweets and breads and fruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Tally Sheet for 2019

32 minutes ago, wildross said:

Down 13# and feeling great!

Pretty easy actually. Just avoid all sweets and breads and fruits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's great! Congrats!! :D

I did it last year, but for too long I think... 6 ish months :o 

I'm glad it's working for you and you're feeling great, but that sounds terrible to me haha!

Or did to me as well. But I took the plunge and feel great

• Like 3

Tally Sheet for 2019

256# on Sunday morning. Down another pound even though I had 6 business meals. Monday night was Italian, Tuesday night was pizza.

Tally Sheet for 2019

If you really want the details of my lifts, I'm just putting them in the battle log in the signature.

The big gym I train at has gotten new benches, which are a tad higher than the old ones.  Or there is a shorter one available.  I tried the short one today....not the right choice.  By the time I got over 300# on the bench, I was sinking into it too far and having trouble reracking the bar.  I'll get one of the taller ones next time.

Had a total of 106,000# last week for zero week, which makes me happy.  4 plane flights, 2 of them with a person throwing up on the plane (1 adult, 1 child).  6 nights in hotels, 3 different gyms.  So 106K is good.

In odd chance Wufkar and I almost ended up in the same city (me in Boston, she in NYC).  For new folks, Wufkar is my daugther who hangs out in IRC and occassionally in here.

• Like 3

Tally Sheet for 2019

Good luck at Nationals!!! If your past competitions are any indication of how well you will do at Nationals you're going to absolutely demolish it :)

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Good workout this morning.  Overhead press and front squats.  Watched the firemen doing yoga outside by the pool....

Tally Sheet for 2019

Total for today, 29,346

Front squats, Overhead press and kroc rows.  

• Like 1

Tally Sheet for 2019

Nationals! That's exciting. 

Are you planning to stick with keto (assuming that's what you meant by dialing it in...?) through the meet? Does it noticeably affect your lifting? Asking because I haven't gone full keto before, but I know that it can be recommended for oncology situations. 

6 hours ago, Blueberries said:

Nationals! That's exciting. 

Are you planning to stick with keto (assuming that's what you meant by dialing it in...?) through the meet? Does it noticeably affect your lifting? Asking because I haven't gone full keto before, but I know that it can be recommended for oncology situations. 

As  you would suspect, oncology is one of the reasons/motivations.  The ketogains group on Facebook (ketogains.com also) said to expect about a 4-6 week dip in strength.  And I'd say that's what I've seen.  Strength seems to be coming back, though its hard to tell because of the meds (see below)/  Multiple people on the ketogains group report running marathons FASTED w/o any gels, carbs, etc during the run.  

At this point, I intend to stay with it indefinitely.  It seems to suit me well.  The few times I've had bread or sweets have left me feeling very meh.  Fruits on the other hand taste AMAZING when I've had some.  As of this morning, I've lost 16 pounds since 8/18.  I'm not supposed to "eat my exercise), ie, you're supposed to keep the food the same even on the days you workout.  I tend not to do that.  Just use MFP conservatively on the "calories burned" and aggressively on the "calories consumed" and it seems to be working.  Once I get down to a steady weight, I'm going to have to eat half a horse a day to maintain....

I'm down 2 holes on all my belts as well and "feel" much lighter.  I didn't have too much trouble with a 418# squat on Monday, which is about 75% of my max.  

Oh, and I'm also on meds that surpress my androgen (testosterone) receptors.  And I have low testosterone even before that.  Medically, I basically don't make sense at all.

• Like 4

Tally Sheet for 2019

15 hours ago, wildross said:

As  you would suspect, oncology is one of the reasons/motivations.  The ketogains group on Facebook (ketogains.com also) said to expect about a 4-6 week dip in strength.  And I'd say that's what I've seen.  Strength seems to be coming back, though its hard to tell because of the meds (see below)/  Multiple people on the ketogains group report running marathons FASTED w/o any gels, carbs, etc during the run.  

At this point, I intend to stay with it indefinitely.  It seems to suit me well.  The few times I've had bread or sweets have left me feeling very meh.  Fruits on the other hand taste AMAZING when I've had some.  As of this morning, I've lost 16 pounds since 8/18.  I'm not supposed to "eat my exercise), ie, you're supposed to keep the food the same even on the days you workout.  I tend not to do that.  Just use MFP conservatively on the "calories burned" and aggressively on the "calories consumed" and it seems to be working.  Once I get down to a steady weight, I'm going to have to eat half a horse a day to maintain....

I'm down 2 holes on all my belts as well and "feel" much lighter.  I didn't have too much trouble with a 418# squat on Monday, which is about 75% of my max.  

Oh, and I'm also on meds that surpress my androgen (testosterone) receptors.  And I have low testosterone even before that.  Medically, I basically don't make sense at all.

Gotcha. I figured there had to be SOME kind of loss, but I just wasn't sure to what extent. It sounds like it's working well for you so far, which is great! I'm not an expert in testosterone or anything, but it seems like having no trouble with a 418 lb squat with low testosterone is pretty damn strong. 

ETA: People can run marathons on no carbs??? The human body amazes me.

Here to watch the keto badassery.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf