The Barmaid's First Adventure

Tziganette

The lighting was low and brooding. I was pulling the five-hundredth tankard of ale that day in a bustling tavern at Persephone Docks. Even though the planet-time was late, I could still hear ships coming and going outside. During a quieter moment, something caught my ear from a table nearby. A pair of Ferengi conversed in hushed tones. The word "adventure" caught my ear.

"What we really need for the adventure party," a young, perky-lobed Ferengi was saying, "is someone who knows about magical textiles and who will take a pitiful cut of the deal. We're already splitting this loot three ways, I'd rather not take on another equal partner."

I sidled closer so I could hear the rest of their conversation. Sure enough, they were forming an adventure party! The Enchanter's Guild was running low on fabrics suitable for magical robes, and was offering a high price for quality silks. The Ferengi were planning a raid on a giant spider nest, who were known to spin silk extremely well suited to holding enchantments. Lucky for me, I studied tailoring magical robes with Madame Malkin for four years, so I can identify good silk. I walked over to their table.

"Refills, gentlemen?" I proferred two tankards brimming with butterbeer.

"No," the older Ferengi croaked, "Your prices are too high here, it's highway robbery!"

"These two are on the house, if you'll let me sit down and drink with you. My shift just ended, and I believe I have exactly what you need for the adventure you're planning."

This is my second challenge, and first challenge as an Adventurer! My first challenge. This one is quite a bit more ambitious, and I hope I'm up to it! Posting this here now, but I will be starting the "graded" portion on September 25.

1. Trail Rations: 1 sweet per week (excluding fruit or dark chocolate, which I may eat in moderation).
2. Traveling on foot: 1 hike each week.

3. The spider nest is more than a day's journey: Plan an overnight backpacking trip.
4. An adventurer needs confidence (improve my posture): wall chin tucks 3 sets of 5 every morning.
5. Complete MAC application.
6. Brush up on my tailoring (level up my Crafting skill!): Spend 1 hour sewing each week.
7. I only get a pitiful cut of the loot: Stay within food budget this month.

• Like 8

"I aim to misbehave where no man has gone before (in the Fade at the Battle of Hogwarts)." ~ Someone somewhere never said this.

Starfleet Slytherpuff Inquisitor wearing a browncoat!

The story sounds really good, and I love how you've managed to relate your quests to your story! Are you using an existing universe or have you made it yourself?

Good luck, I'm following to see what happens next. <3

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

12 hours ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

Are you using an existing universe or have you made it yourself?

I just used a silly mash up of many universes - Star Trek, Firefly, Harry Potter, D&D. I find it amusing to imagine them all coexisting in some weird alternate dimension.

Thanks, you guys!

"I aim to misbehave where no man has gone before (in the Fade at the Battle of Hogwarts)." ~ Someone somewhere never said this.

Glad you decided to join us over here in Adventurer-land. I really like your story (and Butterbeer - yummy!). I really like how you are building on your last challenge and making it a bit more ambitious. I can't wait to hear where you plan on going on your overnight trip!

Also, tagging @stealthstitcher as it seems you two have similar interests.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tziganette said:

I just used a silly mash up of many universes - Star Trek, Firefly, Harry Potter, D&D. I find it amusing to imagine them all coexisting in some weird alternate dimension.

Those are some good universes to mash up! 

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Oooh I love how your storyline fits with your topics. Dessert in moderation is a good challenge. Best of luck resisting the sugar monster (who I am currently picturing as a spider from reading your challenge :P). Sugar Spidersssss ~

Following for the overnight backpacking trip because I'd love to go but have never planned one before :)

• Like 1

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

My Party:
Mog: level 3 Acquisitor. Planning and financially backing the adventure.
Quarnik: level 2 Ferengi, protege of Mog. Also pretty good with a phaser (at least, good for a Ferengi).
Manitou: Tauren scout, knows the way to the spider's nest, also rudimentary skill with a compound bow.
Me: level 1 adventurer, magical silk expert.

We were on our way. My spirits were high, even though I was struggling a bit with my pack. The sun was cheerfully shining through the leaves above. My boots made a cheery crunching sound as I trod on early fall leaves.

Gradually, the sunlight faded as we penetrated deeper into the forest. Manitou, scouting ahead, called a halt. He heard something moving further up the path. 
I peered nervously up the trail. Soon, I saw a great big oozing form pushing through the trees, trampling and consuming sticks and small creatures as it advanced.

"The Sugar Beast!" Mog gasped. "I heard tell of this evil being, but never thought to see it with my own eyes! Quick, everyone, focus on something important to you! Think of your goals! Think of your challenges! Summon you patronuses!"

I focused my mind, thinking of the great adventurer I one day hoped to be. Slowly, a shadowy winged predator appeared beside me - a harrier! And the great beast before me seemed to shrink. Soon it was no bigger than a sugar cube. Manitou chuckled beside me. Mog guffawed. Quarnik giggled. I laughed with the others, and the beast squirmed in discomfort. Then, with a squelching noise, it popped out of existence!

"Good work, party," Mog squawked. And we moved forward with our mission.

Probably won't post all my updates like this, haha, but maybe... Sugar craving has been a real thing this week. Getting through it though by remembering the challenge, and why I'm doing this! 

Also did the Pottermore patronus test and got a harrier, which is apparently a bird of prey. A bit confused, since I never heard of it, and it doesn't even live in North America! This is all part of how the new Pottermore disappoints me. I was a proud Hufflepuff, then got resorted into Slytherin. My patronus was a doe, now it's some bird that lives in England. Oh well! I guess I can look at it as an alternate dimension.

• Like 6

Sugar monster is a tough one, sounds like thinking of your goals is a solid plan. Keep it up we're all cheering for you!

Also I feel the need to add - I love the narrative updates a lot. I hope you're having as much fun writing them as I have reading them :)

And on the new pottermore..... I stayed a Ravenclaw, which I'm perfectly happy with. My patronus is a Heron which I'm still not quite sure I get. *shrugs* I guess it's cool to play around with and read some lore but otherwise not quite as inspiring as the books themselves. 

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

5 hours ago, Tziganette said:

Jealous! I would have been stoked to get a heron. I actually have a tattoo of a bittern...

Bittern.jpg

Haha that's awesome! Really beautiful tattoo. 

I have a dragon on my shoulderblade .... but those are super rare patronuses :P

• Like 1

The forest noises surrounded us as we tromped ever further towards the spider nests. After a couple more hours hiking, my feet seemed to stick to the ground. In fact, my whole body seemed a bit sticky.

“Hey guys?” I called, getting farther behind as I struggled to unstick my feet from the ground. “Um, I’m a bit stuck…”

Mog hurried back to check on me. “Oh dear,” he said, “It seems you got splashed with some Sugar Beast residue when it exploded.”

“Is it fatal?” I asked, tears coming to my eyes.

“Oh no,” Quarnik was quick to cut in. “You just have to rinse off.”

Luckily there was a stream just a hundred paces away. The party quickly formed a bucket line and dumped several water kins over my head. The sticky residue rinsed away, and I was able to continue on!

So… this week. I have followed my goals, technically. However, I’m pretty sure my sugar intake is way up from what it was, even though I haven’t broken the 1 sweet rule. I’ve been chomping down way too many dried figs and adding pumps of sugary flavor to all my drinks at work. Oh dear. I need to refocus on what’s important and not let my goals be counterproductive - an excuse for bad behavior.

• Like 5

Sugar's the worst. So insidious ... it sneaks up on you in different ways. Way to be aware of it!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Oof, this week has been rough. I planned an awesome camping/hiking trip in the Shenandoah National Park. My husband was on vacation and I took a long weekend. Day 1 of long weekend I developed a cold with fever, sore throat, and runny nose. Darn! So we cancelled the trip and have been bumming around. This means I definitely did not achieve the camping trip goal, although I set a new date for early November. I also forgot to do chin tucks for a couple days, so that goal is blown too. However, we are (barely) staying in food budget still, and I DID manage to go for a little "hike" today. All I need to do is find some energy to sew today or tomorrow and I'm golden on the rest of my goals. I have cut back on the sugar somewhat, although my willpower took a hit the last couple days while sick. I drank a bunch of ginger ale, which is my comfort pop. I haven't been eating dried fruit, though, and less dark chocolate as well.

@mom2sjm thanks for the link, I'll definitely use that chart when I'm up for a big no sugar challenge! That website seems like a great resource.

• Like 2

Ugh illnesses always like to choose days off to hit you. It's almost like as soon as you have time to relax, everything you were ignoring while working starts to hit you. 

Hope you are feeling better now. Don't stress taking a break for a few days, just use that as inspiration to continue doing awesomeness from now on.

• Like 1

That's just one of those annoying curve balls life throws sometimes. You did everything you could to achieve the camping trip goal, but believe me, going camping when you're sick is NO fun (I've done it - had to, as I was part of the scout camp staff). So put the goal up again for your next adventure and you'll have it to look forward to.

In regards to the sugar intake while sick: I have a clausul in my goals (that I should probably include next time). If/when I get sick/have heavy migraines, then anything goes. All bets are off. There is something about the sugar-caffeine-ratio in Coca Cola red label that just works. If that means I have to work harder when I get well again, then so be it. I'm not going to beat myself up about it. 

Hope you are back on your feet!