Garjans's Autumn Exploration

Rebel Pilot Gar

Not quite autumn yet, but by the time this challenge officially starts it will be. Scary right?

So I've been kind of drifting goals-wise since I graduated 2ish years ago. Life now is mostly work, eat, sleep, work. Plus some family (boyfriend and dog) time thrown in there. Doesn't quite help that work has been tough lately. Lots of early mornings, 12+ hour days, and none of the projects are going smoothly. I've had some great goals in the past, but as soon as I stop focusing on them, I revert straight back to where I was before (eating snacks, drinking, etc). Going to try to shake it up a bit by focusing more on "Do This" instead of "Don't Do That". 

Long story short, here is what I plan to focus on.

1) Drink at least 2 Litres of water daily.

• Drinking more water is good
  • Focusing on drinking water means less habitual grabbing of beers. 
  • Could also help curb the snacking

2) Healthy Morning Routine

• Get up (dont snooze!!!), start coffee, walk dog (walk the dog first!!!!!)
  • Get home, shower, brush teeth, get dressed
  • Drink coffee, eat breakfast, get to work on time. 
  • Go to bed early enough for 7 hours of sleep. That means devices off, eyes closed at 10PM if you have to wake up at 5

3) Draw every day

• At least 10 min every day
  • Even if its only figure drawings
  • All of the figure drawings
  • Like 3

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

@Sylvaa

Aw thanks! Yeah I find myself more motivated (especially in the later part) for challenges with positive spins on improvement opportunities. Otherwise I'm just beating myself up and obsessing over "don't don't don't don't"

The morning routine is gonna be a struggle. But for the greater good. :D

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

22 hours ago, Tziganette said:

Awesome positive spin. I'll be following along :) 

Awesome thanks :D

5 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Great challenge, good luck!  Will you be posting an occasional drawing here?

Thank you~ I hadn't thought about it but yeah I could definitely do that. Right now I'm mostly working on figure drawings so I'll more than likely post some squiggly stick figures if anything. 

• Like 1

I'm excited for the challenge to start tomorrow. Honestly it's probably good I took a hiatus last challenge - I feel refreshed and ready to go. 

Or maybe I'm just excited because it's autumn. I LOVE AUTUMN. And today felt like it - we just got back from an adventure in the park. 

tumblr_oe11l31N2Z1spvu8qo1_540.jpg

So my preparatory plans for this challenge....

#1) 2L Water/Day

- My nalgene is 1L so I need to (keep it clean) drain it 2x each day

- My other water bottles are about 0.6 L so I would need to drain them 3.33 times. 

- Keep the nalgene clean and carry with you

- 1 nalgene before/during work. 1 nalgene at home.

- Extra incentive: No beer before you finish your water >:(

#2) MORNINGS......

- This is gonna be the tough one. Stay focused!! But don't stress if (when) 3rd shift calls you in at 2AM and you just have time to throw on clothes and head out the door.

- Prepare clothes, coffee pot, daily lunch the night before (seriously it'll help)

- Adhere to the bedtime - have a plan for nightly dinners so you aren't eating at 10. 

- Walk the doggy first!!!!! 

#3) Daily Drawing

- Hey guess what - Inktober starts soon! Loop this in

- Get some cool daily prompts for motivation

- Create a set time for weeknights - that way coming home from work late doesn't become an excuse.  

• Like 3

It's officially Week 1 Day 1!!!!!!

It was bothering me that I had no fitness goals to speak of. So I have added a 15 min/day stretching goal. Generally this will be yoga but I just want to build the habit of daily stretching. Was doing good a few months ago but backed off on it this past month....

It's also Football Sunday, which means the house has been invaded by family, friends and dogs. I guess that means we are the fun house since everyone gravitates over here? Was pretty funny to see 3 dogs (15 lb, 50 lb and 85 lb respectively) charging around the yard and the house. Jamo is now tired out - he's really good with the whole house invasion and even shares his toys with other dogs. 

So far I have had 1.4 litres. Working on the final 600 ml. Edit: Finished my 2L. Also drank a good amount of beer while hiding from the house guests :/

Healthy morning routine.... kinda overlooked weekends on this didn't I. Well I did shower, and played outside with the pupster for quite a while. Laundry is in progress and the house was clean before the football invasion. Gonna count that as a success.

Drawing... spent about 30 min - success!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kelley Gammell said:

Awesome challenge and cute dog! I will be following along. :-)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

That's awesome that your puppy is good sharing personal space with other dogs! Ours is fine on neutral ground, but she hates dogs on our property. 

I also really like the, "no beer until you drink your water" directive. Especially with Football, I am sure that comes in handy!

Yeah I wondered how he would get on. He's used to the little one invading - she lives next door and we go on parallel walks sometimes. Was first time meeting the other male pup. He barked at first at the strange dog just outside the house but chilled out after initial butt sniff rounds. :D

The water drinking before beer helped a lot. Just an extra incentive to drink my H2O. Good to know for the future even after this challenge ends. It also helps to break up XX volume into "drink 2 nalgenes" since it helps me picture progress better.

• Like 1

Week 1 Day 2

1) 2 L of Water - Success!!!

Operation Nalgene seems to be working

2) Morning Routine....

• Go to bed on time - Fail (11pm)
  • Wake up with no snoozing - Not really (but better than usual, mostly because I moved the alarm to 6pm)
  • Dress & Brush Teeth, then walk dog, then get dressed for work, then drink coffee

notes: go to bed on time. Magic Mr Coffee delay is awesome. I'm ok with changing and brushing teeth before walking dog. Just need to make sure dog walk is before breakfast and coffee. 

3) Daily Drawing - Successs!!

12 X 60 sec figure drawings thanks to quickposes.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Are you going to be posting any of these drawings for our perusal? As someone with little to no artistic talent, I love seeing what other people are able to create!

Yes I plan to post a collection at least 1-2 times per week. :)

For October I'all definitely be posting the daily drawings since I am trying out the Inktober challenge this year.

Going to be different because I enjoy drawing but rarely share my stuff. Yay for pushing past boundaries!....?

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 3 (TUESDAY)

1) 2L/Water - Success!

It was a struggle, but I finished. The beer rule helped. Forgetting my water bottle in my car and not being able to grab it until lunch time did not :P

2) Mornings.... Half & Half

Eh I did okay. I got up on time (mostly because I forgot to set an alarm to go in early. Luckily the person I was supposed to meet with did too. I went to bed later than I should've but I think leaving my alarm at the later time worked out. I did shower first and have a little coffee, but had good walk with doggy before more coffee and leaving for work.

I did leave for work later than I would've liked to. And I'm still battling my tendency to hit the snooze button for forever. Any rampant snoozers have advice for kicking the habit?

3) Daily Drawing - Fail

Got out of work late, went to grocery store and when I got home I chose cooking dinner as the priority. Can't really blame myself because I would make the same decision - Healthy dinner/No Drawing vs Takeout/Drawing hmmm......

Though I guess this means I owe some drawing posts as payment? 

• Like 2

Week 1, Day 4 (WEDNESDAY)

1) 2L/Water - Success!

1 L at work. 1 L at home. L at home was more of a struggle. Just gotta keep the eyes on the prize on this - treat it as building a habit instead of being a burden. 

2) Mornings - early day

Had to get to work by 5:30 AM today. Succeeded but man was waking up a struggle (went to bed at 10 too). So morning consisted of rolling out of bed, brushing teeth, getting dressed and getting in the car.

Because of course I snoozed for 15 min that could've been used prepping lunch or something.

3) Daily Drawing - Successs

6 min of 60 sec figures. 6 min of 2 min figures.

I promise one of these days I'll post. I just need to turn my comp on at home instead of posting from my phone. (AKA over the weekend)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Garjan said:

I did leave for work later than I would've liked to. And I'm still battling my tendency to hit the snooze button for forever. Any rampant snoozers have advice for kicking the habit?

I'm a snooze button fan too! What I do is set multiple alarms 15 minutes apart. So if I want to get up at 5:30, I set 5:00 and 5:15 (sometimes 4:45, but I'm not usually that crazy!). By the time the 5:30 alarm goes off, I'm usually already pretty awake anyway. Technically, if I hit snooze instead of off, I can hit the snooze button at least 6 times before I actually want to get out of bed. It's not perfect and if I don't get to bed on time, it is less than successful, but it's been the most successful thing for me.

• Like 1

DRAWINGS!!! These are from across September, not just this past week. Wasn't kidding when I said all I was doing was figure drawings. :)

Next few updates will be more focused art since I'm joining the Inktober challenge

Spoiler

september_2016___figure_compilation_by_g

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 5 (THURSDAY)

1) 2L/Water - Nope - only 1 L

2) Mornings - still fighting the snooze

Showered before dog. But still resisted the habit to play on my phone that makes me late to work. I think I went to bed on time....

3) Daily Drawing - Success

Probably about 20 min of figure drawings.

Week 1, Day 6 (FRIDAY)

1) 2L/Water - Close ~ 1.7L

I was managing multiple projects and barely had a chance to stop at my desk for stuff. Can't drink water on the manufacturing floor (or eat or chew gum etc) so days where I'm running around like a crazy person is hard. I had some breathing room to eat lunch around 3:30 PM :P

Still put in a good effort at home, was really trying since I dropped the ball the day before. 

2) Mornings - still fighting the snooze

Had to get in early but still took the time to walk the pupster. Did stop to eat breakfast before heading to work (luckily) because I knew the day was going to be insane. 

3) Daily Drawing - Nope

Honestly I didn't even remember I had this as a goal yesterday. Was focusing on trying to drink my water I guess.... or was just wiped from busy work day. Happens. Not gonna beat myself up over it, I'm pretty happy with the huge amount of drawing I accomplished in September. I'm about halfway through a new sketchbook that I started early September. This is with drawing on both sides of the paper. Probably the quickest I have ever filled a sketchbook. 

And I'm pretty psyched for my first Inktober. 

• Like 2

On 9/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, Sylvaa said:

I'm a snooze button fan too! What I do is set multiple alarms 15 minutes apart. So if I want to get up at 5:30, I set 5:00 and 5:15 (sometimes 4:45, but I'm not usually that crazy!). By the time the 5:30 alarm goes off, I'm usually already pretty awake anyway. Technically, if I hit snooze instead of off, I can hit the snooze button at least 6 times before I actually want to get out of bed. It's not perfect and if I don't get to bed on time, it is less than successful, but it's been the most successful thing for me.

I do this too!! Boyfriend hates it - I swear I will allow my alarms to snooze for a solid hour. I have multiple alarms but I feel like for me it just encouraged the snoozing habit. Half the time I only hear my alarm because BF shakes me awake and tells me to turn it off. 

BF is on a later schedule (goes to work between 9 and 11 AM depending on the day). So my hour long 5AM alarms really mess him up. He sleeps badly to begin with, meanwhile I sleep like the dead. 

I think you're right though about the "not going to bed on time" being key factor in waking up. Maybe I should focus on 1) proper bedtimes and 2) why I am doing this (because my BF is wonderful and patient and I should at least try to make his mornings less frustrating)

On 9/29/2016 at 3:10 PM, Kelley Gammell said:

Good job so far on the drawing :)

I am also a huge snooze fan but that a habit to break later  for me lol

Haha thanks for the encouragement! The snooze button monster is no joke! lol

• Like 1

Week 1, Day 7

1) 2 L water - success!

2) Mornings - um....

Should've gotten up early to get my car inspected. I woke up but made no effort to go out. Did go grocery shopping and ran some other errands.... Honestly this goal is not really set up well for weekend plans

3) Drawing - yes day 1 of inktober!  I'm on mobile now but I'll edit with drawing later :) Done!

Spoiler

inktober_01__fast_by_garjansverd-dajne8m

• Like 2

WEEEK 2!!!!!

Recap Week 1:

Water drinking is going pretty good. Even on the days I don't make my goal I am drinking more water than before I started this challenge (sad right?). BUT I am still not quite at the point where I trust myself to continue on after the challenge. Lets see how 3 more weeks of this change that. 

Not gonna lie, mornings are a huge struggle for me. I am not naturally a morning person. I'm more of a midday to midnight person.......... Work often requires me to be up obnoxiously early though so I do what I have to do. Key focus going into week 2 is going to bed on time >:(

Art is fun. I like art. So far I'm on top of my Inktober arting, but it is only day 2. Busy work week may conflict with artistic progress. And I don't really work in the type of place where I can scribble at work (welll.... maybe in a pinch?). We will see I guess. So far I'm excited (trying to plan ahead so I don't get to d daily prompt and be unable to think of an idea....)

Week 2 Day 1 (SUN):

1) Just gotta down this last glass of water and I'm good to go. 1.5/2 L

2) Still the weekend.... Woke up (like wide awake woke up) at 8AM. Played games on my phone for a bit before getting up, showering, cleaning the house a little. Then took doggy for a nice long neighborhood walk around 10AM. We sprinted a little and played tag for fun. Yeah I'm that weirdo in the neighborhood. Pupster was awesome (a little pully when he wanted to sniff stuff) and ignored dogs/small children/etc. 

3) Inktober Day 2: Noisy - Sketched James Hetfield from Metallica

Link also includes where I am posting all my art (deviantart). I'll be updating the images there first throughout the month. :)

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 2 (MON):

1) 2L water - done!

2) Fail - could not for the life of me fall asleep last night. Went to bed 9:30. Was wide awake at least until 11:30. Instead of waking up at 5 when my alarms started going off, I got out of bed around 6 (well I woke up at 5:30 and then there was ... wrestling until 6). I walked the pupster and was tracking well to get to work on time until I spent 30 min looking for my keys. I guess drunk me hid them at some point yesterday. 

3) I drew a dragon!!! I love my dragon <3

Spoiler

inktober_03__collect_by_garjansverd-dajw

• Like 2

Week 2 Day 3 (Tues):

1) No - 600 ml 

2) Fail - went to bed really late (football - aka people invading our house - which may not happen as much anymore since the Giants lost again) got up relatively on time, played games on my phone after walkies and got to work later than I hoped. Was a rough day too.

3) Done. Not the best drawing but I did something. 

Spoiler

inktober_04_by_garjansverd-dak0xwl.jpg

• Like 1