All Guilds Gonna Ranger: Chapter I of the Mega Mash-up Mini Challenge

Rurik Harrgath

~Upon hearing the call to action, RedStone's hand reached for the small length of dusty ribbon tied to her ruck. She had awoken that very morning with a twitch of intuition... and a tender shoulder. Even Warriors must occasionally rest their axe arm, and she had decided to set out on a hefty meander beyond her stone fence instead of her usual iron conditioning. A few miles in to the well beaten path, the waterfall from high up in the mountain caught her eye. She had walked past it many times before, but a sparkle drew her in and off the trail, climbing up along the steep rocks of the falls. At the summit, she discovered the wine colored ribbon clinging to a sapling against the breeze, and felt a strong compulsion to take it along with her. Could this be a scrap of clothing from one of the poor peasants in need of rescuing? The only prudent action would be to explore the other trails on the mountain to see if any other clues were left behind. Two more trips should do it.~

• Like 9

An older tall lean half-orc had slipped into the guild hall of the rangers during all the commotion. He sat near Syren and lifted a trio of fingers then pointed to a bottle of brownish amber liquid which looked long forgotten. The barkeep gave the half-orc a look as though asking Are you sure? to which the the half-orc nodded once and slapped down a pair of gold coins.

In short order the drink was poured and given, "Ranger going for distance ... last I saw most of 'em couldn't out run or outlast a wounded boar on a summer day." the half-breed grunted as he rolled liquid around in the glasses.   "We'd best see if we can show 'em how its done then Syren, we'll leave 'em suckin' down dust before they cover half a league." He looked at the the drink and took a long slow taste of it. "Don't seen rangers when ya need a scout!" He roared to the room, before smiling. "Good thing ya got some scouts."

• Like 13

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39
Current Challenge #40 Strickland5 themes on

The acrid smell of death still lingered around the city. Shock and disbelief were the permanent expressions on the sullen faces of the survivors. Anger fueled Wolfs next three moves:

- He laced up his worn boots that had already seen many miles and aggressively tied his double knots

- packed some extra jerky in his pocket because the distance would be great and then down the full pint of ale sitting in front of him without a drop spilt, slamming his cup down,

- and slung on his heavy pack and set out to find clues with a clenched jaw

He had the nose of a wolf and would eventually track these evil bastards down.

Distance Feat: Cover 5 miles rucking with a minimum of 20#

W0lf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

The hobbit sit in the corner, sipping an ale , looking rather grumpy.  She really wants to go out and help the Rangers on her mission, but she injured her foot in the last Orc battle, and is unable to hike the long distance necessary for the journey. Sighing, she figures now would be a good time to study to make herself useful in the next mission.

I will read 3 chapters in the book Ready to Run.  I'll do some walking this week too, but I don't want to make it a goal since I have an injured toe. Distance wise, I will just walk as much as my foot allows.

• Like 14

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

A road-weary elf looked up from the dark corner she'd just settled down in, snuffed the fireball she was lazily playing with, and rolled her eyes. "*sigh* No rest for the wicked, I suppose", she said as she picked her ruck up.

This week I will not take it easy on myself as my brain is telling me to do. I'll pick up my ruck clock at least 5 miles, and give you guys a proper tourism vid.

• Like 7

Level 83 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I will walk through one of the big parks near my house, which until recently, I've only stopped in.  There's a nice 1.5 mile trail that I will start with. 

• Like 7

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Sparrow pulled his map from the inside pocket of his vest and looked it over, casually talking it over with any rangers around him about sectioning off areas to make sure every area would be searched.

Once a loose plan had been formed, he stashed the map away for safe keeping and shouldered his heavy ruck. The thick straps settled onto the well worked vest that had seen years ruck marches such as this. A quick check showed all his weapons in order, so he settled his hat over his brow and nodded to his compatriots. His area looked to be roughly eight miles as the crow flies, and he would have to cover it quickly with at least forty pounds in his pack.  

• Like 8

Level 8 Expert in Obscure Details

Challenges: 1 : 234 : 5 : 6The Martian

She could do this, this was a search for clues. She didn't have to go fast, she just had to go steadily. She resolved to do her best to gather what clues she could to assist in finding their stolen friends. (I will walk approx 10,000 steps per day to a total of 60,000 steps in this week and I will spend some time dedicated to collecting 'clues' ie litter).

• Like 8

Sky's forehead wrinkled with empathetic pain as she imagined mothers weeping for their lost children ... helpless fathers scrambling after the demonic horde ... devastated families huddling over the remains of their brutally slaughtered dead. Even though her task for the month was to stay near the Guildhall and learn all she could about eating well and living off the land, she knew she could find extra time to scout around the area - perhaps the kidnappers had passed nearby. She looked down at the table and quietly folded up the parchment containing the story she was writing. Pleasure could wait. It was time to root out evil.

Distance Feat: I will add an extra 4 miles to my original goal of 10 miles, and cover 14+ miles this week.

• Like 9

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

In!

For my distance feat, I'll add an additional 150 meters to one of my swims this week. 

• Like 9

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

8 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Distance Feat:

Well, as part of my new overarching 'do an ocr next year' goal I was seriously considering starting a running program. So I guess that starts this week. 

Do week 1 of new running program. 

Starting now instead of later, this Mini is already a success!!!

7 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

The acrid smell of death still lingered around the city. Shock and disbelief were the permanent expressions on the sullen faces of the survivors. Anger fueled Wolfs next tree moves:

- He laced up his worn boots that had already seen many miles and aggressively tied his double knots

- packed some extra jerky in his pocket because the distance would be great and then down the full pint of ale sitting in front of him without a drop spilt, slamming his cup down,

- and slung on his heavy pack and set out to find clues with a clenched jaw

He had the nose of a wolf and would eventually track these evil bastards down.

Distance Feat: Cover 5 miles rucking with a minimum of 20#

W0lf

... before Wolfie could leave Ye Olde Ranger Guildhall, MR_Willes snatches on to his arm, and pulls him aside. "Wolfie, what do you think about teaming up? We both add a little to our pack so we'll be able to set up a forward base camp. This way the others won't have to come all the way down back to the Guildhall if they run out of supplies." MR_Willes checks out Wolfie's instant reaction, and seeing the hunger for sniffing out some bad guys in his eyes, he adds to that: "When we have camp set up, i'll tend to it so you can do some snooping around and track some of these baddies. I know you're hungry for some revenge, i can just see the fire in your eyes".

What do you say @Wild Wolf make it a:

30 lbs 5 mile ruck

so we surely set up camp for all these fine guildmembers to retreat to?

• Like 11

... a little odd in the head ...

Jarric turned away from the crowds pouring out of the Guildhall, and headed downhill towards the lake. Wounded and unable to run, he was damned if he wouldn't find his own way to aid the search. He must take a different direction to most of his Rebel companions, and swim the Great Lake searching for clues instead.

Distance Feat: Swim at least 2.5k this week (or best effort as hips permit)

• Like 6

Level 16 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 4  -  CON: 1  -  CHA: 1  -  SAN: 2  -  INT: 2

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Little and Often

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

"a horde of demons...." Quinn had been slumbering in the corner, but at these words, she was wide awake. The blankets that she had wrapped herself in were cast aside. She stood up, smoothed the wrinkles from her cloak, picked up her boots and banged them against the wall, shaking off the dried mud that remained from her recent excursion. The noise and dust caught the attention the rest of the guild.

Mr Willes stared at her quizzically, "Quinn, I thought you were journeying into town tomorrow to pick up supplies for your quest? You don't want to tire yourself before your long journey. We've got this covered"

"Don't worry about me", she replied, "these legs may be small but they're stronger than they look. I've dealt with demons before and I can't sit here and do nothing while people's lives are at risk". She finished lacing her boots and smiled as she headed for the door. "Besides, what kind of ranger would I be if I didn't try and do both!" 

---------------

I've already got a running goal on my challenge so saying I'll go for a run would be cheating. But I'll pledge to add a little extra distance to each of my planned runs. I'll do a 50 minute run tonight instead of 40, and a 40 minute run on Thursday instead of a 30 minute run. I can't add too much extra as I've got an OCR on Sunday!

• Like 11

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

"a horde of demons...." Quinn had been slumbering in the corner, but at these words, she was wide awake. The blankets that she had wrapped herself in were cast aside. She stood up, smoothed the wrinkles from her cloak, picked up her boots and banged them against the wall, shaking off the dried mud that remained from her recent excursion. The noise and dust caught the attention the rest of the guild.

Mr Willes stared at her quizzically, "Quinn, I thought you were journeying into town tomorrow to pick up supplies for your quest? You don't want to tire yourself before your long journey. We've got this covered"

"Don't worry about me", she replied, "these legs may be small but they're stronger than they look. I've dealt with demons before and I can't sit here and do nothing while people's lives are at risk". She finished lacing her boots and smiled as she headed for the door. "Besides, what kind of ranger would I be if I didn't try and do both!" 

---------------

I've already got a running goal on my challenge so saying I'll go for a run would be cheating. But I'll pledge to add a little extra distance to each of my planned runs. I'll do a 50 minute run tonight instead of 40, and a 40 minute run on Thursday instead of a 30 minute run. I can't add too much extra as I've got an OCR on Sunday!

... He has thought it before and was thinking it again: "Quinn really isn't quite right in the head". MR_Willes knew Quinn was doing this only because she felt obligated, but she had already made some very useful journeys the past few weeks. Now talking her out of it was not an option, on these things there is just no reasoning with her, MR_Willes knew this all to good. So he was thinking up something to lighten her load. "You could also help me and Wolfie out, that is, if he ever decides to join me. I have this idea of setting up a forward camp for all the different guildmembers so they won't have to completely backtrack to the guild when they run out of supplies. The more stuff we can get into camp the more people we can help on their journey. What do you say..."

You could also join me and wolfie in rucking, just put some weights in a backpack on go for a nice walk, maybe that fits better in your training schedule.

• Like 6

... a little odd in the head ...

The guildhall was rapidly emptying, and the noise levels had increased with the sounds of gear being packed, boots laced, hurried goodbyes said and many tankards being drained. Rhovaniel sat for a few moments in silence, reflecting on the other Ranger's words. Demons kidnapping innocent people - was she up for such a mission? There were plenty stronger, faster, smarter than her... but that, she quickly realised, was why she was a Ranger in the first place. It didn't matter how much she had to give, just so long as she gave it. She stood, stretching muscles stiff from under-use, and retrieved her heavy pack. Quickly discarding items she no longer needed or were too broken to be of use until they could be repaired, she retrieved her rolled up cloak, hastily pulling it over her shoulders. 

The barkeep, she could see, was rushed off his feet, attending to the large press of bodies calling for victuals they could take with them, so Rhovaniel placed a few coins on her table for her meal, and  shouldered her own pack, resolving to stop off at the small market not far away for her needs. She was already going to take a walk. Now, she just needed to make it longer, and with more purpose. 

My challenge means I walk for half an hour on my non-workout days. I've worked out that it takes me half an hour to walk to the train station to get to work, which is a mile and a half away. So, to make walking part of my Distance feat: I will walk five miles, every non-workout day. I will try to make this all at once, but at the very least, only split into two walks during the day. Let's go get those people back!

• Like 8

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

1 hour ago, mr_willes said:

... He has thought it before and was thinking it again: "Quinn really isn't quite right in the head". MR_Willes knew Quinn was doing this only because she felt obligated, but she had already made some very useful journeys the past few weeks. Now talking her out of it was not an option, on these things there is just no reasoning with her, MR_Willes knew this all to good. So he was thinking up something to lighten her load. "You could also help me and Wolfie out, that is, if he ever decides to join me. I have this idea of setting up a forward camp for all the different guildmembers so they won't have to completely backtrack to the guild when they run out of supplies. The more stuff we can get into camp the more people we can help on their journey. What do you say..."

You could also join me and wolfie in rucking, just put some weights in a backpack on go for a nice walk, maybe that fits better in your training schedule.

As everyone hurried into action, NTB rushed out of the tavern with a near-empty pack, thinking she would resupply later on the road, keeping things light so she could move faster. But on her way out of the tavern, she paused when she overheard a conversation between mr_willes and Wolfie about setting up a camp. She may not have been asked, but she knew a good idea when she heard it and decided to help. Without a word to the others, she stopped to load her pack with 20 lbs of provisions and first aid supplies at a nearby supply shop, and then headed off towards the campsite 5 miles away. She would meet them there. 

• Like 10

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

48 minutes ago, mr_willes said:

You could also join me and wolfie in rucking, just put some weights in a backpack on go for a nice walk, maybe that fits better in your training schedule

Thanks, but that means adding another activity to an already packed schedule! I'll see what my legs allow me to do tonight (as I've got DOMS from squatting yesterday) so if my legs give me a whole load of Nope later, I might change my mind!

• Like 5

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

The Dragon Ranger's first search takes him along the back country roads, past fields of cows and small woodland areas. The day is grey and overcast with constantly falling fine rain. Finally, the Ranger stops at a field surrounded on three sides by trees, some of which look to be nearly 100 years old if not older, short green grass glistening with drops of rain and morning dew covers the field. Just a bit away from the field, the Ranger sees a pile of large stones which were not there just a week ago. "Hmm, that's odd, he thinks. I wonder if this has anything to do with the missing folk." He takes note of the pile, committing to memory its location, approximate size, as well as the type of stone (looks to be local stone, square cut), and heads back into town to relay his findings to those in charge of the search.

That's about 8000 steps done of my 27,000+ step goal. Starting tomorrow, I think I'll take photos of my walks and upload them to my Facebook page. Might add a bit more realism and immersion. :)

• Like 4

Current Challenge

2016 Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4 

Previous challenges:  New Year Challenge , Muir Does Stuff, :apple:    

No sooner had the bearded stranger finished talking did the Guildhall burst into life. Chairs scraped, coins rattled, and empty tankards were slammed down as the majority of the crowd rose to their feet, eager to be on their way.

Yeti watched them go before turning her gaze downwards, surveying her injured legs with a small frown. She knew she couldn't match the others for distance, for speed, or even for time spent searching, but she also knew how far afield most planned to go to search for the missing. Maybe she couldn't chase down the trail outwith the city limits or find those taken, but she could scour every inch within the city for any clues left behind.

-----

To make a long story short, my legs are essentially out of any major action for the foreseeable future. So no hiking, rucking, or hills for me this time around. But keeping myself moving goes a little way to keeping the pain manageable, so what I can do is pledge a couple of very short walks for this week.

• Like 10

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Arg awakens from a deep slumber at the back of the hall. He realizes the entire patronage is a buzz. He hears whispers that a robed figure has escaped with imprisoned townspeople and help is needed to find clues leading to their safe return. Many miles must be covered to exhaust all clues to the whereabouts of the missing. Arg gazes over at the leader with pondering eyes. It is almost like the leader could read his mind - a possible helpful skill in our quest. The previous night, Arg already had a feeling deep down that something was askew and set out on a new path to clear his mind and prepare for future endeavors. 

No better time than now to continue those preparations. Arg takes out his trusty boots which have seen many miles in previous seasons, but are now covered in dust due to his time training with the Warriors, and establishes a plan to retrace his steps and hunt for clues along his path.

..................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah so the distance feat was actually posted scarily close to when I decided I was going to go for my first run in months yesterday. No sooner had I posted my running plan for last night, @Rurik Harrgathposted the distance feat here...stop reading my mind! 

I haven't run for any sort of distance since I started training powerlifting like 4-5 months ago. But now that I am running a Ranger challenge and switched from powerlifting to crossfit-esq workouts, I figured a run or two per week would be a good addition to the regimen.

Ran 1.5 miles last night to try and get a baseline of where I stand with running fitness. Now with this mini challenge, I am looking for another night this week where I can go out and run again!

• Like 9

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1