Daily Dares PvP Sept 18-Oct 22

Hi All!  Xena here....posting this a little late, but wanted to get it in. Because time is short, I copied most of the text from last time....

Round 6 of our PVP using the Daily Dares at Darebee.com has begun!

All are welcome.  Every day, they post a bodyweight exercise challenge no equipment needed, every day.  Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they're not.

Every day there are two levels of difficulty.  1)  just get it done, over the course of the day, and 2) Extra Credit (EC,) which usually means all in one shot.  

Either do one or the other.  You get either 1 or 2 points per day, no more.

Miss the day (in your time zone) and you miss the points.  Need a variation?  Not a problem, but no points for you.

This is an open PVP, so anyone can join at any time. It's a great way to try out a bunch of different bodyweight exercises, and after 2 times through, I've personally found a bunch of new exercises based on what's been really hard.

If you decide to join, declare what rank you're aiming for and sign up on this spreadsheet. Then, just keep track of how many dares you complete throughout the challenge.

If you're not sure about what counts for the dare or extra credit, post here and we'll rule by what seems to make sense to the most of us. Some days you might not be able to do an exercise, and that's ok!  If you like, try modifying or scaling the dare to something you can do. I've added a new column where you can keep track of dares you've modified and completed. The modified dares don't "count' toward "official" totals, but we can still reward you with creative titles if you like.

The person with the most points at the end of the challenge will be declared the Daredevil! (other titles are available, inquire within.)

Leaderboard

Round 5: Zeroh (48 points)

Round 4:  Rocketbikeninja (62 points)

Round 3 (Tie):  Rocketbikeninja and mom2sjm (64 points) 

Round 2:  Rocketbikeninja (67 points) - May 2016 Challenge

Round 1:  Geek On Fire (53 points) - April 2016 Challenge

Ranks

Titanium: 60 points (30 days of dares + 30 days of extra credit)

Gold: 45 points 

Silver: 30 points 

Bronze: 15 points

Custom: A custom goal of your choice. Just make sure to state your specific target in the spreadsheet.  

We're starting the PVP in Week 0, but you should be able to achieve all but the highest of these ranks even if you don't join us until Week 1. 

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I added a new section for fun. You can add extra mini-dares for yourself, ideally things that have appeared as previous dares or similar types of things. Add as many as you like.

I added 2 minute elbow plank for myself. Last cycle, they had 3-min elbow plank on there, and I could only do about 1:22.

p.s. Let me know if there are problems with the google doc. I'm not great at using them.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Indeed they were hard!

I'm thinking of adding a new column for "modified dares" ( this would be in case you couldn't physically do a dare for some reason but substituted a scaled exercise that was the closest version you could do). I would also add a separate column with a "modified" total of all three categories (modified, regular, EC). Modified wouldn't count toward official bronze/silver/gold/titanium, but might be nice to track.

Any objections?

Oct/Nov 2016

No, that sounds like a pretty good idea. As it is, if I can't do a dare, I'll just end up skipping it instead of trying to modify it.

I did the reverse angels, with EC. Two things to note, this is not easy when you have a cat that thinks you're on the floor because you want to play. And I should really stretch my back / warm up before doing these.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

This sounds like fun! I'll try to add this to my morning workouts, and see how well I manage :P

Edit : Just did the Reverse Angels, I thought they were easy until I hit 20, and then getting the last 30 in was a struggle. The last 10 were painful, but yay!

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

14 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I did the reverse angels, with EC. Two things to note, this is not easy when you have a cat that thinks you're on the floor because you want to play. And I should really stretch my back / warm up before doing these.

I did them this morning with no EC (took a break after 17). After seeing your post, I thought...maybe I could try a little harder.

10 hours ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

This sounds like fun! I'll try to add this to my morning workouts, and see how well I manage :P

Edit : Just did the Reverse Angels, I thought they were easy until I hit 20, and then getting the last 30 in was a struggle. The last 10 were painful, but yay!

Welcome!!

...and after seeing this post I thought...now I really need to give this another try. Did it with EC tonight at the gym. And you were right, those last 10 were ROUGH!! Toward the end my arms grazed the ground a couple times and that made it even worse.

7 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Did the reverse angels, no ec. Got 30 before collapsing. Lesson: I need a massage T_T

Great job! Massage seems completely reasonable.

I'm going to go ahead and edit the directions and spreadsheet to add extra columns for modified/scaled dares. This is completely optional. I hope it will be pretty clear, but if anything doesn't make sense, just ask.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

1 minute ago, Xena said:

Great job! Massage seems completely reasonable.

The good news is that I train with a really good massage therapist.

The bad news is I'm always broke and can't really ask him for freebies because it's his livelihood :P

Amongst all the other things I need to try to save up for, I am determined to treat myself to a 90 minutes heated stone massage when I achieve my first strict pull up. It's going to be an investment, but I've got a ways to go so i have time to save. It's just the interrim I have to deal with :P

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Barter?? Maybe you have to start raising chickens and offering an egg per minute or something :-)

Good gravy that would be a lot of eggs. I have considered offering to clean his car because a friend has "employed" me to do some detailing in my *ahem* "free time"... but his car is pretty new and I think he's a fairly tidy guy so i doubt there's too much to clean :P

Did the arch balance thingy with ec, probably looked awful, but I did it. Protip: fold yoga mat in half, helps a looottt :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Did the arch balance thingy with ec, probably looked awful, but I did it. Protip: fold yoga mat in half, helps a looottt :)

I don't have a yoga mat. :(

I did the arch balance with, EC. I almost fell over a few times, but I managed to hold it. At least until I got to 31 seconds and it was like, "okay NOW I can fall."

2 hours ago, Finisterre said:

Yes!  I want to play!

Although most likely with some extreme modifications for some to account for non-weightbearing foot....

You're in luck, Xena just added a column for modified dares! Welcome :)

• Like 1

Managed to do it with EC, though it took a few tries to get my balance. My hand was also slowly sliding off my ankle :P

It was a nice back stretch, but it hurt the thigh in the air? Maybe I'm just not used to stretching my thighs like that

• Like 1

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

2 hours ago, Finisterre said:

Yes!  I want to play!

Although most likely with some extreme modifications for some to account for non-weightbearing foot....

Modify away my friend :-)

13 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

Managed to do it with EC, though it took a few tries to get my balance. My hand was also slowly sliding off my ankle :P

It was a nice back stretch, but it hurt the thigh in the air? Maybe I'm just not used to stretching my thighs like that

Yup...it's a good stretch for the quad and potentially the hip flexor.

Like tourennatrix, I (1) did with EC, (2) am pretty sure I looked aweful, and (3) used extra padding under my knee :-)

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

55 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

I'm used to stretching my thighs like that, just with a different pose, and yeah I definitely felt this in my thighs.

That feeling when you did squats and lunges in the morning for your workout, and then discover that the Dare is also Squats, and you cry a little bit inside. I'm going to do it (we'll see how the EC goes) when I get home from college.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

That feeling when you did squats and lunges in the morning for your workout, and then discover that the Dare is also Squats, and you cry a little bit inside. I'm going to do it (we'll see how the EC goes) when I get home from college.

The Dare is the first thing i check in the morning. Then depending on what it is, I might try to incorporate it into my workout. And today the workout happened to have squats, so I just counted those.

52 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

The Dare is the first thing i check in the morning. Then depending on what it is, I might try to incorporate it into my workout. And today the workout happened to have squats, so I just counted those.

I am definitely checking in the morning now :P

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Squats are kindof my jam (I've got sizeable upper legs to testify) which is good for how much squatting and lunging happens in capoeira. Unfortunately, it makes regular squats just a little extra boring ;)

hmmm...I suppose there wasn't really a rule against making them harder ;-)

50 squats with EC here. I was feeling them, but they're in my wheelhouse too.

In my timezone I can see the next day's dare before I go to bed. Gives me time to get psyched up, or filled with dread.

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016