RedStone Starts Over

RedStone

4 hours ago, Stellakin said:

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your fish! I used to work as an aquarist in a marine biology centre, working with all sorts of ocean fish; and despite that, I've always loved the humble betta. They just such feisty little personalities! Not to mention how handsome they are! 

Aww thanks! He def had a personality, that's for sure LOL and wow! I've always been excited by marine life! Take me to the aquarium over the zoo any time! That sounds amazing :D 

______

Speaking of which, liftS today started out kinda meh cause sad, but I kept on with some IRC support from my dear training buddy @AugustaAdaByron with #repsforjelly which really made me smile :D (There may be a custom hoody in the future... I could put a spilling 40oz on the crest)

~Incline Bench~

2X10/45#

12/65#

3X8/65#

~Flatbench Flye~

4X12/20#

~Seated Cable Row~

4X12/67.5#

~DB Rows~

4X12/20#

~Arnold Press~

4X12/15#

~DB Curls~

4X12/10#

~2 Handed Tricep Extension~

4X12/20#

So with the exception of incline bench I hit max reps and max sets, so really it wasn't that bad after all. I wanted to work handstands at the end but the boxing room was super occupado and it seems dangerous to work them in the other parts of the room so I just did a mini HIIT on the Jacobs Ladder in the spirit of - if I'm gonna be a PT I'm gonna have to try out every single machine at least once. So 3X1min on, 30 Secs off. (I actually liked it a lot for cardio, but will save longer sessions for leg days cause butt hurt. Obvs.)

So, last run through of the play tonight, Saturday is closing night... jeez, so much is ending this week! We'll be doing Jelly's fire when I get back from the theater. I'm going to set up the fire pit now, and see what else I have time to do around the house. OH, I did sit in the office and complete another chapter in my studies! So I'm keeping up with all of that so far.

I asked Adam to send me his favorite pictures of Jelly so I could make him some art. Here's one of my favorites from his:

IDyndy1l.png

#repsforjelly !!!!!!!!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

giphy.gif

EPIC. Truly. Thank you. <3

_______

r3YPofrm.jpg

Closure has been met and Jelly is swimming behind the valkyries to fight alongside @Br0din in Valhalla. 

#repsforjelly

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Volki said:

Sorry for Jelly passing on to Valhalla but at least there was a proper viking burial.

I will do #repsforjelly on my next lift day as well.

AWWWW! <3 If you're gonna go out, go out like the cantankerous belligerent coot that you were! Poor Jelly, he was a fighter. Literally! A Japanese fighting fish :o He would have jumped out of the tank and destroyed us all if only he had the fins for it. Tsk. Should have lifted more...

Soooo anyways, with the dawn is a new day! And time for all the: 

AxIAb9H.gif

Due to a train issue, I get the hubs all day long! He'll be working some, but I'm taking this as a green light to have a fun day before closing weekend. I'm making chocolate vanilla covered pretzels for the cast party tomorrow night, and we can do some planting on the deck together. I've been feeling wonky and kind of down about the gym all week, so I'm skipping lower hyper in exchange for some HIT circuit action at home - easy enough to favor lower body, though I love an excuse to pull out the TRX! :D 

Happy Friday ya'll! Good things ahead! 

• Like 5
I like how you modified your routine in response to gym burnout rather than dropping your workout all together.  I need to learn how to do that!

An great sign indeed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

4 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

I like how you modified your routine in response to gym burnout rather than dropping your workout all together.  I need to learn how to do that!

Agreed! This might become a thing with me for the next couple of months of craziness. Some days you just want to mindlessly wander around the gym lifting things instead of having to write everything down as you follow a program.

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Oh boy! It's a list post!

Things I accomplished yesterday:

1. Sleeping in

2. Candy coating a LOT of pretzels

3. Planting the deck (so pretty!)

4. Taking a nap instead of working out.

~Insert sad trombone here~

I dunno whats been up with me lately, I've been down this past week and not really feeling it in general. I think maybe it's a combination of burnout, but also a little sad that summer/the play/my birthday is over...

One of my cast mates explained that there's a sadness that comes with ending a production... maybe that's all it is, but I'm also probably not admitting to myself that phul can really kick my butt at times! One of the things I heard myself go on about this week is that my back and shoulder seem to be in a perpetual state of hurt. It dawned on me yesterday that maybe it wasn't DOMS and I needed to rest them LOL, so yeah, I opted for the nap instead of the circuits, and I'm super glad I did! I extra slept in again today and by the time I was ready to workout, the man had already groomed the lawn and I ended up doing it outside on the grass!! :D 

(I didn't want to write my update until I had fulfilled my circuit plan! BEHOLD the power of accountability hehe :P)

It felt great to be moving around like that and I added some handstand work and tumbling. I def needed that and perhaps adding more FUNctional fitness on top of my routine would be a good to add to my challenge! (To be updated tomorrow or Monday, I have to get my butt to the theater soon for closing night! ;__;)

I did this circuit 3X with full recovery in between - def a good heart thumping time and felt some fatigue towards the end of the last round! 

2Tkoywnm.jpg

The pushups were the best indicator for my shoulder/back pain, so I modified to knee, and then cut them to X10 in the second round. Felt ok-ish by the third so I went for X20 again. I'm not sure, going to have to keep a real eye on that, make sure I don't do anything dumb. (Also my 15# KBS are apparently the heaviest weights I have at home! So adorable. Maybe some grip plates would be a good thing to keep around for stuff like this in the future.)

Meanwhile, I guess it's been awhile since he's seen me tumble, so the man took a couple shots! :D (I know it's the wrong side, but Zero Week tank made it out of the wash in time for a second go :))

• Like 10
22 hours ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

You = amazing

That is all for now.

21 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

I am seriously in awe of this picture. I mean seriously how awesome are you!!!??? Feeling super inspired after seeing this picture. Keep up the awesome. (also glad to have found your thread here...following!)

12 hours ago, Stellakin said:

That photo.. just... wow... 

But seriously, kudos to you. That is some ninja-secret agent-superhero sh*t right there! 

I am so impressed. You're awesome. Those are some real fitness goals right there.

:D 

Aww thanks guys! It was a pretty lucky shot tbh :P but really was super fun! I've been having day dreams about flipping around and climbing on stuff and swinging and junk and I think i'm going to have to do it more often to keep those happies going. 

Unfortunately my shoulder is still bugging me, and after following some long ago advise from @Rookiebeotch to let my fingers do the walking, it seems to be my left delt and maybe (:o) beneath it on the back end... I had a scapular issue last year so I'm going to be cautious and stick with leg stuff and be extra careful with upper until the pain is gone. Meanwhile, ice and heat and some massage when I can get it in! 

• Like 5

Alrighty! Challenge goals updated and here's my quick ZERO WEEK Recap!

On 9/19/2016 at 8:57 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

So it seems appropriate that Zero Week is when the show ends. I'm told to expect a sense of loss that I already felt last week when I suddenly had several days between going to the theater rather than being there every day. It'll be nice to have a mental reset of sorts, especially since I'm in the middle of a cycle that I can't really start anew.

Mental reset: eh, kind of? Maybe? Probably yes. I was pretty bummed overall by the end of last week, but I'm feeling pretty good now, and have some great energy for new stuff going forward. Found a ninja gym nearby about an hour away that should be good for occasional day trips. I can see myself treating it as a mini all day workshop to apply my strength training to something different and fun. The body building has been very beneficial, but I need a fun outlet. FUN FUN FUN! Time for the fun! BTW - how fun does this place look? OMG http://www.highexposureclimbing.com/) I'm in the exploration phase of their schedule etc, but am excited to look more into it. 

On top of thinking about squat details, it makes sense to let this week reflect the idea of relaxing more into my eating right. There's celebration food around every corner, what with my parents coming up over this past weekend, birfday mish, and cast party stuff this weekend. I'm not using it as an excuse to eat like an asshole, but also letting the cards fall where they may during certain events. I did not track yesterday or today, and will start again tomorrow... just trying to be a little more relaxed overall about the whole thing and enjoying the fun stuff like friends and lifting and parties and all that, while also being a responsible fitnesser. 

Squat details: Sure, I did some stuff. Feels good, continuing on with that, especially since I'm trying to rest my shoulder. I have a feeling this week is going to leave my lower half sore AF.

Being relaxed about the stuff: Trying. I'm pretty relaxed in general, but trying to relax makes me anxious for some reason LOL (A counselor of mine once described it as a slow adrenaline drip.) The damage wasn't really all that terrible, though I managed to skip tracking maybe twice, as well as measurements and weight this morning and last Tuesday. I ate stuff I wouldn't normally because apparently pot luck parties are 90% ziti varieties, and then we had pot luck leftovers for lunch at the theater strike yesterday. 

Zero Week Mini Challenges:

1: Plant the deck stuff - Reward: a pretty deck ;) 

2: Finish next section of ACE studies - Reward: Skull Latch hook FAIL

3: Finish Cleaning the office & pay off bills - Reward: Enchanted Forest coloring book FAIL no reward, tho the desk is great for studying, I'm very happy I did this :) And will eventually earn the damn coloring book!!! :P 

Today is for studying and lower power. I'm concerned about pulls on my shoulder so DL's will be approached cautiously. It's still achy today, and I'm undecided if it's a strain, pull, or general achy because when am I finally bucking down and getting a new mattress? I should really just do it already and rule that out :P 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Today is for studying and lower power.

PSYCHE! There is still time for more studying, but lower power didn't, and isn't, gonna happen today.

While I was getting dressed I got all miserable about it and just didn't want to go, so I went for a last minute hike instead and unexpectedly went off trail for the first time to climb up the pretty waterfall. There was lots of jumping on stones and running down dangerous hills too :) 

I'm a little concerned that I not only don't want to go to the gym, (okay, sure, that happens) but am actually, viscerally dreading it. So yeah, my shoulder hurts, but once I started hiking everything else kicked in too... hip flexors, quads, calves, everything was achy, and I had rest day yesterday and light day Saturday. I'm feeling like this is the definition of burnout even though it's only been 5 weeks since my last break and this cycle has been only been working at 60-75% (Okay 85 for bench, but that's already pretty light.)

Not really sure what to make of it but feeling like I should go ahead and let my body rest of it needs to. If I need another break so soon, fine. I can rest... but I don't have to like it! :fatigue:

• Like 7
17 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I'm a little concerned that I not only don't want to go to the gym, (okay, sure, that happens) but am actually, viscerally dreading it. So yeah, my shoulder hurts, but once I started hiking everything else kicked in too... hip flexors, quads, calves, everything was achy, and I had rest day yesterday and light day Saturday. I'm feeling like this is the definition of burnout even though it's only been 5 weeks since my last break and this cycle has been only been working at 60-75% (Okay 85 for bench, but that's already pretty light.)

Not really sure what to make of it but feeling like I should go ahead and let my body rest of it needs to. If I need another break so soon, fine. I can rest... but I don't have to like it! :fatigue:

I'm going through almost the same thing but for different life reasons. And I find it stressful that I don't feel like working out. I even joked to @Emerald_Dragonfly that I'd even consider doing body building for a month just to have a break from squat racks, squat shoes, and deadlift plates. With everything going on in my life the complexity of powerlifting seems mentally draining. 

I'm not sure that I have good advice, but I wanted to throw a hug out there. 

tumblr_inline_mpad87rFzf1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 4

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

1 minute ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

tumblr_inline_mpad87rFzf1qz4rgp.gif

Man I needed that, thank you <3 And I was just about to post with my decisions...

I'm all for changing up the program if you're not feeling it, that's definitely what's hapenning for me. Getting dressed for the gym should not make me want to hide under the covers and cry!!!

1. Absolutely no lifting at all this week.

2. Go hiking 2 more times since that's part of the Ranger mini anyway

3. Work in the kung fu studio. Do tumbling if I want, work on the ballet barre if I want, do stuff I like and whatever makes me happy. Just be careful of shoulder. (Still tender.)

I don't want to make any major decisions this week, I'm a little shell shocked and want to give myself a chance to step back, but I can't help but think I'm due for a sea change program adjustment of some sort.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Man I needed that, thank you <3 And I was just about to post with my decisions...

I'm all for changing up the program if you're not feeling it, that's definitely what's hapenning for me. Getting dressed for the gym should not make me want to hide under the covers and cry!!!

Just remember stuff like this happens to everyone at some point. I definitely burnt out trying to balance long work hours and heavy powerlifting templates. And with all the stuff you are going through with the play and such wrapping up its not completely shocking that you may just need some "you" time! :)

I went on a 1-2 week break after my comp just to get things straight where I tried to let everything go and do stuff that I truly liked to do like hike and golf. None of the "70% of this and 3RM that" from my lifting that was stressing my out. I am sure that when you come back from the relaxation you will be a better and stronger!!

28 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

2. Go hiking 2 more times since that's part of the Ranger mini anyway

Yay ranger mini mashup!

• Like 2

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

Hiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs*

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I found that reducing lifting to three days a week (instead of the four to five I had been doing) helped tremendously.  I end up working out around 5 days a week anyway, but two of those days are spent doing whatever floats my boat.  I actually look forward to lifting now, where before it had definitely become a chore.

+1 For taking the time to make your decision either way!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Man-At-Arms said:

I found that reducing lifting to three days a week (instead of the four to five I had been doing) helped tremendously.  I end up working out around 5 days a week anyway, but two of those days are spent doing whatever floats my boat.  I actually look forward to lifting now, where before it had definitely become a chore.

+1 For taking the time to make your decision either way!

Yeah, that's the direction it's going back towards, maybe even two on some weeks depending on other activities. I have a feeling I'll end up doing 3X per week /1 main per day while I explore.

The more I look at it, the more I get the feeling it's a symptom of overtraining... I even woke up with a bit of a cold this morning and just feel like my whole system is pretty weak at the moment. I was at a point where I didn't have any energy left for anything other than my sessions, and the program was so accessory heavy only a small portion of what I did have went to the big 3. 

(At this point I think my challenge title is now kind of absurd considering it's only week 1 and the one thing that I'm not doing, is keeping on with the program :o) 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

(At this point I think my challenge title is now kind of absurd considering it's only week 1 and the one thing that I'm not doing, is keeping on with the program :o) 

I agree, 6 hour ago RedStone! Thank you much @Emerald_Dragonfly and @Grymm for convincing me to do what I want, when I want, on my challenge. Everyone needs to hear that sometimes.

SO. This challenge is just starting and everything is changing. Updates have been made to goals. TLDR: spend more time lifting smart, not long. (If you like, please chime in with program suggestions! 3 day max for this cycle cause all the stuff rest stuff etc...) Make room in the energy stores for movement practices. Ask other nerds how they juggle all the stuff. Do the original things you said you were gonna do. Right, here we go.

• Like 8