Jump to content

Man-At-Arms: The Spandex Challenge


Man-At-Arms

Recommended Posts

This is my first challenge. Looking forward to "meeting" you all!

 

Main Quest

I will be wearing spandex for Halloween.  Enough said?

 

Goal 1: Think Positive

 

large.think-positive.jpg.744b8b2374db3b5

 

I really struggle with negative self talk.  I'd like to change that.  Every day I will journal at least one positive thing that I did, said, accomplished, whatever.  Doesn't really matter what the positive thing is as long as it's about an action (or purposeful inaction, I suppose) that I took rather than something that happened to me by chance.

 

Goal 2: Drink Less

 

large.drink-less.jpg.2d5c14603526017a492

 

Heavy beer drinkers aren't really known for looking good in spandex.  My love of beer is legendary and that love isn't going away any time soon, but I'd like to at least curb it a bit.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder gut shrink smaller.  For the duration of this challenge, I will only drink when someone else is drinking with me and I will go into social situations with a plan to control the amount I drink.  This effectively gives me a social "out" but reduces my intake by way more than I should probably admit.

 

Goal 3: Snuggle Bro More

 

large.snuggle.jpg.8dc06cc47086e608c7cf6b

 

I don't have a lot of friends that are motivated to go out and DO things.  I've read a lot recently about surrounding yourself with the type of people you want to be.  People that inspire, motivate, and support you.  With that in mind, I will go out and do something active with a bro or bro-ette at least once this challenge.  Hopefully foster some of those relationships that are healthy and level up my crew.

 

Goal 4: Stay Consistent

 

large.train-more.jpg.6f0f58390c93a2c3ce6

 

I'm not a training newb in terms of time spend lifting things, but I'm a total baby when it comes to lifting intelligently, regularly, purposefully, etc.  My underpants collection is mighty, and my gains are nonexistent.  It's pretty damn embarrassing.  I started GreySkull LP and I'm enjoying it.  I will stick with GreySkull LP for (longer than) the duration of this challenge, which involves me lifting three days a week.  I have a side goal of trying to work in some conditioning and maybe GreySkull's Frequency Method, but that isn't necessary for this challenge.  Trying to start small and get that ball rolling in the right direction.

 

Reward: TBD

While slimming down for Halloween is a bit of a reward in and of itself, I am super motivated by fun stuff.  I'll figure out what that fun stuff will be this week and update my thread before the official start of the challenge.  I think my goals are totally reasonable/doable, so I will not be rewarding anything but 100% success.

 

TL;DR

Spandex, 1 positive thought a day, no solo boozing, 1 adventure with a new friend, GreySkull LP, profit.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Man-At-Arms said:

TL;DR

Spandex, 1 positive thought a day, no solo boozing, 1 adventure with a new friend, GreySkull LP, profit.

 

Welcome welcome yee warrior! Here for all the spandex and profit! And like... some other stuff too :P 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Volki said:

Good luck! I especially like the leveling up your crew goal :D

 

 

Thanks!  Crew leveling up will be difficult.  It's hard putting myself out there when I already have a bunch of comfortable relationships established.  Testing the limits of my comfort zone!

 

8 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

 

Welcome welcome yee warrior! Here for all the spandex and profit! And like... some other stuff too :P 

 

Ha!  Thanks.  Hopefully lots of good stuff to come!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

Thanks!  Crew leveling up will be difficult.  It's hard putting myself out there when I already have a bunch of comfortable relationships established.  Testing the limits of my comfort zone!

 

There's always lots of nerd meetups all over the place, (well, depending on where you are I guess, but we're everywhere :mask: ), so if you stick around and decide you're not horrified by us there's always that option down the road :P OKAY tmi, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

 

WVAMZ3y.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Phoenix91 said:

Following along!  Good luck with the challenge and being brave enough to wear spandex.  You might want to check out the b.r.e.a.t.h.e project thread in the accountabilibuddies section. 

 

I'll do so.  Thanks!

 

8 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Welcome to the warriors!

 

Thanks!

 

6 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

 

There's always lots of nerd meetups all over the place, (well, depending on where you are I guess, but we're everywhere :mask: ), so if you stick around and decide you're not horrified by us there's always that option down the road :P OKAY tmi, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

 

WVAMZ3y.jpg

 

Best. Squad. Ever.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Think positive.

My son and I met my wife for dinner last night.  She was running late and the minion and I were just twiddling our thumbs waiting for her. I had this thought of "I could order a beer right now. No one will know.  My wife doesn't know anything about my challenge goals and technically the challenge hasn't started yet... and..."  It was ridiculously difficult, but I did not give in.  I had water and I'm stoked.

 

Drink less.

Man water is boring. ;)

 

Bro more.

Nothing to report.

 

Stay consistent.

Greyskull 1 of 3 done for the week!

  • Overhead Press: 50x5, 50x5, 50x10
  • Chin-up: BWx5, BWx5, BWx5
  • Squat: 45x5, 70x5, 95x5, 95x5, 95x10
  • Rope Pressdown: 35x15, 35x15, 35x15
  • DB Reverse Fly: 10x15, 10x15, 10x15

Nice and easy... other than the chin-ups.  My pulls have a lot of catching up to do.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Man-At-Arms said:

My son and I met my wife for dinner last night.  She was running late and the minion and I were just twiddling our thumbs waiting for her. I had this thought of "I could order a beer right now. No one will know.  My wife doesn't know anything about my challenge goals and technically the challenge hasn't started yet... and..."  It was ridiculously difficult, but I did not give in.  I had water and I'm stoked.

 

BIG win! These are defining moments that matter! BAM

 

tumblr_lunocz3mMX1r24lq9o1_250.gif

  • Like 4
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

Think positive.

My son and I met my wife for dinner last night.  She was running late and the minion and I were just twiddling our thumbs waiting for her. I had this thought of "I could order a beer right now. No one will know.  My wife doesn't know anything about my challenge goals and technically the challenge hasn't started yet... and..."  It was ridiculously difficult, but I did not give in.  I had water and I'm stoked.

 

Drink less.

Man water is boring. ;)

 

 

Nice one! Def something to feel proud about, worthy of a few kind words to yourself!

 

I've had an annoying ride with giving up the booze, and not in a - I don't drink anymore - kind of way, but just drinking less in general. Now I have days off where I don't drink at all. It was, yeah, annoying at first but became second nature. Now sometimes on social outings I just volunteer to DD and don't even feel shafted lol. 

 

Water is boring! Sometimes I like to pretend there's a little miniaturized crew like in Inner Space that has to go into my body through the water for some weird reason involving international espionage. Much more interesting that way... 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, ixaera said:

 

BIG win! These are defining moments that matter! BAM

 

tumblr_lunocz3mMX1r24lq9o1_250.gif

 

I'm feeling a ST:NG vibe for the next challenge... ;)

 

Thanks for the encouragement!

 

18 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Water is boring! Sometimes I like to pretend there's a little miniaturized crew like in Inner Space that has to go into my body through the water for some weird reason involving international espionage. Much more interesting that way... 

 

BEST IDEA EVER.  Don't think I'm going to drink anymore water than usual, BUT I'll be chuckling now when I do manage it!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Think positive.

I had a super rough day yesterday. I've recently switched jobs and it's been challenging.  Also had a difficult day of parenting.  Also felt gross and fat and weak.  Combo of work + home + body image left me super down.  Then, instead of wallowing after a couple of hours of wallowing, I actually talked to my wife about it and... felt better.  Who'd a thunk it?

 

Drink less.

Still going strong. Water still sucks.

 

giphy.gif

 

Bro more.

Hike scheduled for Sunday morning!

 

Stay consistent.

Defending Castle Greyskull later this evening.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

Think positive.

I had a super rough day yesterday. I've recently switched jobs and it's been challenging.  Also had a difficult day of parenting.  Also felt gross and fat and weak.  Combo of work + home + body image left me super down.  Then, instead of wallowing after a couple of hours of wallowing, I actually talked to my wife about it and... felt better.  Who'd a thunk it?

 

Drink less.

Still going strong. Water still sucks.

 

giphy.gif

 

Bro more.

Hike scheduled for Sunday morning!

 

Stay consistent.

Defending Castle Greyskull later this evening.

 

You are killing it! Way to go and keep up the awesome!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Think positive.

In an effort to combat recent work down-in-the-dump-ness, I decided to do something about the whole "I don't know what I'm doing" thing. Hopped online, found some free edumacational stuffs and started learning. +1 for getting off my bum and doing something.

 

Drink less.

Yup. Still dry.

 

giphy.gif

 

Bro more.

Nada new to report.

 

Stay consistent.

Greyskull 2 of 3 done for the week!

  • Bench Press: 45x10, 75x5, 75x5, 75x10
  • Pendlay Row: 45x10, 75x5, 75x5, 75x10
  • Deadlift: 95x5, 115x5, 135x10
  • Barbell Curl: 50x10, 50x10, 50x10, 50x10
  • DB Upright Row: 50x10, 50x10, 50x10, 50x10
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Think positive.

Had the opportunity to eat pizza last night with dinner.  Finished off my cobb salad instead, and ended up having some room for a piece of banana bread later in the evening. Holy crap, I do have some self-restraint.

 

Drink less.

I had a cocktail. Wahoo!  Totally social and wasn't my idea. That's one drink (within the rules of this challenge) this week.

 

giphy.gif

 

Bro more.

Hike destination chosen.  Will be breaking in some new boots... hopefully this isn't a terrible idea.

 

Stay consistent.

Defeating Skeletor tonight.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Man-At-Arms said:

Bro more.

Hike destination chosen.  Will be breaking in some new boots... hopefully this isn't a terrible idea.

 

 

I got all the jeals just seeing the word - hike! Gonna have to get out there some this autumn while the weather's all PSL perfect.

Hope it's super fun!!

 

(What mountains ish do you have access to? I'm catskills and I think maybe I miss them something awful...)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I got all the jeals just seeing the word - hike! Gonna have to get out there some this autumn while the weather's all PSL perfect.

Hope it's super fun!!

 

(What mountains ish do you have access to? I'm catskills and I think maybe I miss them something awful...)

 

I've just recently gotten into hiking.  Not sure why but I've got a bee in my bonnet all of a sudden.  It's a form of cardio I enjoy, so I try and get out at least once a week but that usually ends up being once a month.

 

I'm in prime hiking land but will not be conquering a new mountain tomorrow... new boots and all. :)  Thinking about a 8-10 miler.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Man-At-Arms said:

 

I've just recently gotten into hiking.  Not sure why but I've got a bee in my bonnet all of a sudden.  It's a form of cardio I enjoy, so I try and get out at least once a week but that usually ends up being once a month.

 

I'm kind of the same - I absolutely LOVE hiking, and literally live on a mountain with state park trails, and yet somehow I haven't been out much this year - I mostly blame the heat :P but that's almost over now... no more excuses lol

 

33 minutes ago, Man-At-Arms said:

I'm in prime hiking land but will not be conquering a new mountain tomorrow... new boots and all. :)  Thinking about a 8-10 miler.

 

OMG yussss so pretty over there! The husband has family in Idaho and we tend to meet up in national parks :) last year we hiked all over Glacier! We actually just got back from the Sawtooth's last month. So amazing over there, I felt like I was in a the minecraft forest biome! I kept having this odd sensation that I wanted to punch the trees...

 

Hope you take some picts tomorrow! And have fun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Think positive.

AHHHH!  Need to play some catch-up.  I had a busy weekend.

 

Friday, we had food and beer for payday at work. I managed to stay within my calorie target for the day.  I can't remember the last time this happened!

 

Saturday, took over kid duty from the wife so that she could get in some pamper time.

 

Sunday, I really wanted to laze around with the wife but managed to accomplish a bunch of chores instead.  Felt good to knock some things off of the to-do list.

 

Drink less.

Had booze on Friday and Saturday, both within challenge rules (out and about and with others).  Need to work on the amount I drink when in an after-hours party type situation.  I don't do it very often anymore and I seem to have lost the ability to pay attention to how much I've had.  I think I'm going to add that rule to my goals for the "real" challenge.

 

Bro more.

Hike was canceled. :(  Will hopefully get one in this coming weekend.  My normal hiking buddy will be gone though, so we'll see if I can con someone else into coming.

 

Stay consistent.

Greyskull 3 of 3 for the week completed!

  • Overhead Press: 45x5, 55x5, 55x5, 55x10
  • Chin-up: 65x5, BW+2.5x5, BW+2.5x5, BW+2.5x3
  • Squat: 45x5, 75x5, 105x5, 105x5, 105x10
  • Overhead Triceps Extension: 25x10, 25x10, 25x10, 25x10
  • Rope Face Pull: 45x10, 45x10, 45x10, 45x10
  • Like 2
Link to comment

WEEK 0 RECAP!

  • Think positive. 100% - Really hard to find good things to say. Wasn't expecting this to be so challenging.
  • Drink less. 100% - Will tighten up rules a bit for the official challenge.
  • Bro more. 0% - Many more opportunities to get this in.
  • Stay consistent. - 100% - Only four more weeks to go! Cutting back on social media has made it much easier to stick with the program.
  • Like 4
Link to comment

That's like... (counts on fingers)... 300%!!! BOSS!!!

 

(I think being active here kinda counts for a few bro points ;) just sayin)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines