• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

LittleTurtle

LittleTurtle Needs Your Help!

Recommended Posts

Sooooo...it's been a long time since I've participated in a challenge.  Let's just say it was due to some random Turtle difficulties...

MBfTjTwJrWlZC.gif

 

I just don't know what my "Big Why" is anymore.  The best I can come up with is wanting to feel confident/look good in a bathing suit, but that doesn't seem to be important enough to me when I want to eat a cheeseburger with fries as soon the weekend has arrived... Seriously, I can pretty much nail my diet Monday-Friday afternoon(ish)...and then all hell breaks loose.

 

I'm healthy and I'm happy, but I've become extremely stagnant/complacent with my diet and fitness goals because I've been the same damn weight with the same damn measurements for like 2 years now.  I'm tired of looking in the mirror and not seeing progress, but if I'm brutally honest with myself...all I've really been doing for the last year or so is going in circles.

kXBVtKjLxINji.gif

 

 

My biggest downfall is sugar.  I can give it up for about 10 days or so and then I fall off the wagon hardcore.

oiGCnybFPh6Q8.gif

 

I have my work cut out for me, but I seriously cannot do it alone.  I need my fellow Druids' help.  

Will you help me??

 

My goals for the next 4 weeks are as follows:

Main Goal:

59582691.jpg

 

1. No more Goddamn candy corn!!  You know you have no control, so just stop effing buying it! 

r2.jpg

 

2. Stop being a lazy asshole - do your workouts! Minimum of 4 per week!

downward-dog-clipart-1.jpg

 

3. Go to bed.  No...not falling asleep on the couch for a couple hours first - GO. TO. BED. DAMN IT!

scumbag-brain-cant-sleep.jpg

 

I'll be digging out one of the few fancy journals and special pens I bought awhile back (and then forgot about) to use for general note taking and grading throughout this 4 week challenge, but I'll be popping in here as much as I possibly can to update as well.  Seriously...I don't think I can do this without you!  :frog:

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your challenge! :D

 

I've been off sugar for a year an a half, and before that on and off for a decade or so.  Why do you want to cut it out if you're healthy and happy?  Some people can tolerate small amounts without health issues and without getting addicted.  Also, what is it about "sugar" that you like/dislike?  Is it snacking between meals (candy corn), or dessert with every meal, chocolate when you're feeling down, or even sweetened sauces for meat (ketchup, sweet chilli, sweet & sour...)?  Let us know, and we'll try to help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 23, 2016 at 2:28 AM, SomeGuyFromScotland said:

I'm also engaged in war with my sugar demons. Following to offer moral support and be a general sounding board for sugar craving-related cursing. :)

Thanks!  So last night, I went to the store and stopped in the Halloween candy aisle and instinctively reached for a bag of candy corns…not just any candy corns, but an apple mix that contains flavors like Green Apple, Apple Pie, and Caramel Apple.  Oh man, there are so nasty and delicious all at the same time!  I immediately remembered my challenge (even though it doesn't technically start until tomorrow), and walked away.  I still felt I needed sugar though, so I opted for a smaller bag of M&Ms.  

 

Maybe this is my problem.  I go for days without any sugar and then I go crazy.  I swear, it's either all or nothing with me.  Maybe that is where the change needs to happen?

 

On September 23, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Vibrantella said:

Good luck with your challenge! :D

 

I've been off sugar for a year an a half, and before that on and off for a decade or so.  Why do you want to cut it out if you're healthy and happy?  Some people can tolerate small amounts without health issues and without getting addicted.  Also, what is it about "sugar" that you like/dislike?  Is it snacking between meals (candy corn), or dessert with every meal, chocolate when you're feeling down, or even sweetened sauces for meat (ketchup, sweet chilli, sweet & sour...)?  Let us know, and we'll try to help!

Thank you!  I guess I want to cut sugar because I look in the mirror, step on the scale, take my measurements and see nothing for progress.  So I figure that I need to cut ALL the sugar and ALL the carbs if I want to start losing weight again and go freaking crazy with cravings after 5-10 days.  I love sugar and I feel like that is a big problem.  When I consume it, it makes me so freaking happy and almost sends a calming sensation through me.  I think I might have a legitimate addiction.

 

But yeah…other than that, I'm super on top of my health.  My blood work is great, I have no serious health problems, I drink plenty of water, sleep well, walk daily (and am getting back to my yoga), eat decently (well, save for a cheeseburger once a week or so…), but I feel great.  It's just that I'm packing around an extra 15(ish) pounds of weight I gained when I was on Prozac a couple years ago that I cannot for the life of me get rid of.  So I dunno.  I'd like to not have these intense sugar cravings, but in reality…it's my only vice, but not one I'd like to have.

 

22 hours ago, Terinatum said:

Hey Little Turtle! I am hanging around again and you are my first 'project' so expect to hear from me!

Good luck and get going!

Hi Teri!!  It's good to see you!  I'm intrigued!  What kind of project?  :excitement:

 

Thank you for the support!  Apparently, I need lots of it because I haven't really been doing a great job since I've been away from the threads.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've sorta started my challenge early and want to report that last night marked a 7 night streak that I actually went to bed!!!!  This is super huge for me because for as long as I can possible remember (seriously...I used to even talk to my therapist about this problem YEARS ago), I fall asleep on the couch and only go to bed once my boyfriend wakes me up around the time he is going to bed.  

 

I feel so much better when I get a night of uninterrupted sleep.  I've noticed I'm much less groggy and crabby the next day.  I need to keep reminding myself of this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your challenge makes me smile.  I'm feeling that "get your shit together already!" vibe, too.  I'm working on cutting down on my sugar/sweets and I already failed today, but it's a challenge I'm ready to make.  Good luck, I'll follow along to cheer you on!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like I'll have to cut out gluten/wheat as well for this challenge.  I've been getting a lot of migraines lately, and the only thing I can relate them to are days after I've consumed too much bread.  Eff.  No wheat or sugar.  These next four weeks are probably going to be hell.  But if I can cut out the migraines, then it will be worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

It looks like I'll have to cut out gluten/wheat as well for this challenge.  I've been getting a lot of migraines lately, and the only thing I can relate them to are days after I've consumed too much bread.  Eff.  No wheat or sugar.  These next four weeks are probably going to be hell.  But if I can cut out the migraines, then it will be worth it.

Actually, this might help you with cutting out sugar - lowering carbs in general will result in fewer, weaker cravings.  And getting rid of migraines will be worth it indeed!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I nailed today.  I rocked today so hard.  Everything I ate, except for my veggie burger for lunch and a sprinkle of Parmesan on my mountain of asparagus, was all Paleo.  I went to bed last night, I had no sugar today, and I took two 20 minute walks and a 20 minute fat burning yoga session.

 

I give myself an A for today.  :frog:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HOLD EVERYTHING!  This is totally non-fitness related (maybe Nerd related), but I can't do anything else until I've shared this:

 

rKnHaNqOlHHUc.gif

 

:love-struck: :love-struck: :love_heart: I could watch this gif forever and still be giddy! 

 

Okay...back to my regularly scheduled challenge:

 

I rocked another day.  No sugar, no wheat, 75 ounces of water, bed (not couch) last night (though tonight I should go earlier), my meals were again mostly Paleo, but I had a small serving of refried beans with dinner because YUM!  I did two more 20 minute walks today, and I'm about to do some more Fat Burning yoga here in a minute (which, in case anyone cares, is actually a lot harder that I would have thought!).  In the past, I usually just do Evening Stress Release or something which is mostly stretching.

 

I was browsing through some of my old challenges and there is a VERY prominent thing that sticks out to me from ALL of them:  I've been trying to cut wheat and sugar since the beginning of time.  And I always fall off the wagon.  I always start strong and then all hell breaks loose.  Any suggestions on how I can break this cycle?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had to start super, super small and build up. I try to cut one specific food item out at a time until I create a habit. I started with soda last summer, and chips this summer. Onto alcohol now. I'm also lumping more sweets into this challenge but may scale it back to just cookies. Annoying news: it feels like I'm going really slowly. Good news: I have been successful with eliminating those things and building new habits! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bee said:

I have had to start super, super small and build up. I try to cut one specific food item out at a time until I create a habit. I started with soda last summer, and chips this summer. Onto alcohol now. I'm also lumping more sweets into this challenge but may scale it back to just cookies. Annoying news: it feels like I'm going really slowly. Good news: I have been successful with eliminating those things and building new habits! 

That is awesome!  I believe that is where my issues begin.  I go all or nothing because it is SO hard for me to find a happy medium.  A little bit of sugar ends in an entire bag of candy corn disappearing...in my belly!  But I'd much rather be slow and successful than what I've been doing for the past several years!  Thanks!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

That is awesome!  I believe that is where my issues begin.  I go all or nothing because it is SO hard for me to find a happy medium.  A little bit of sugar ends in an entire bag of candy corn disappearing...in my belly!  But I'd much rather be slow and successful than what I've been doing for the past several years!  Thanks!!

 

I'm the same!  I spent many years trying the all-or-nothing method because I just wanted to get it over with, but I always fell off the wagon.  Just taking out one thing at a time helps me go all-or-nothing with that one thing, but not with ALL of sweets or junk food.  So far, so good!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great day.  Although, I think my Buffalo Chik Veggie patty probably had wheat it it...I'm guessing it is a fairly negligible amount, but I'm noting it in case I start getting a headache.

 

Also, random question for anyone who knows the answer:  My boss got a Cold Brew coffee from Starbucks today and let me have a sip.  It totally tasted like there was sugar in there, but she was fairly certain that there was not.  Does Cold Brew have a naturally sweet taste to it?  She said she ordered it black and didn't add anything, but my brain was like, "SUGAR!!  GIVE ME MORE!!", so I had to go to my office and gulp my Iced Americano to shut my brain up.

 

I long for candy corns.  Mixed Apple flavored candy corns.  God, why do I love those nasty little things?!?!

 

- Two 20 minute walks and Yoga today (though not Fat Burning tonight)

- No sugar (unless there is sugar in Cold Brew and then I took a tiny DELICIOUS sip)

- Negligible amount of wheat (probably) in my veggie Buffalo Chik Veggie patty.

- Went to bed last night

 

Actually, I think I'm off to get ready for bed right now.  It's only 8:30 pm, but I'm a sleepy Turtle!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2016 at 10:09 PM, LittleTurtle said:

wasas browsing through some of my old challenges and there is a VERY prominent thing that sticks out to me from ALL of them:  I've been trying to cut wheat and sugar since the beginning of time.  And I always fall off the wagon.  I always start strong and then all hell breaks loose.  Any suggestions on how I can break this cycle?

 

Cutting out one item at a time is a good method. Another one is to start by cutting wheat and sugar before 8am (or whatever time you're comfortable with). Once you have a handle on that, move to none of that stuff before noon (or whatever works for you). And you keep doing that, and eventually you'll arrive at no wheat or sugar all day.

 

On 9/28/2016 at 10:37 PM, LittleTurtle said:

Another great day.  Although, I think my Buffalo Chik Veggie patty probably had wheat it it...I'm guessing it is a fairly negligible amount, but I'm noting it in case I start getting a headache.

What Buffalo Chik patties do you get? I love the ones from Morningstar, but they're breaded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

What Buffalo Chik patties do you get? I love the ones from Morningstar, but they're breaded.

Yeah...I had the MorningStar brand.  I didn't have the package though and couldn't remember.  Dang!  Haha!  But no headache yet, so I just won't eat that particular kind anymore.  But they sure are tasty!!  :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...I fell asleep on the couch last night.  Damn.  I was SOOOO tired that the thought of getting up was too much to handle.  However!  I've only fallen asleep on the couch 2 times since September 17th which is pretty freaking good for me!

 

Everything else yesterday was great.  I fear I might be under-eating though because I have a general feeling of hunger most of the day.  It could also be the fact that my mind and body are revolting against me because I've cut carbs way back.  WAY back. 

 

I still want candy corn.  The weekends are the hardest, and today is Friday.  I always liked to treat myself to sweets and shit on the weekends use the weekends as an excuse to be an asshole when it comes to my diet.  

 

Someone please tell me to stay away from the Halloween candy aisle at the grocery store!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleTurtle said:

I fear I might be under-eating though because I have a general feeling of hunger most of the day.  It could also be the fact that my mind and body are revolting against me because I've cut carbs way back.  WAY back. 

Great job!  To feel more satiated, how about some avocado, or salmon, or other delicious fatty foods..?  Works for me!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleTurtle said:

Someone please tell me to stay away from the Halloween candy aisle at the grocery store!

Stay away from the Halloween candy!

 

As far as always feeling hungry, if you've cut out a lot of carbs, and haven't replaced them with anything (like healthy fats), then there is a chance you could be under eating. At the very least you're eating less than your body is used to. I think it does take a few days for your body to adjust to a low carb diet, but I don't have any experience with that. There's also a chance that you are actually thirsty.  The body is weird like that. Or you could just be one of those people that work better with smaller meals and light snacks throughout the day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of random things I want to make note of while I'm thinking about it:

 

1 - I ordered a Cold Brew from Starbucks and asked the barista if there was any sugar in it because of the aforementioned story about my boss giving me a sip of hers.  He assured me that unless you were to add cream, sweetener, syrup, or sugar - that it's just black coffee.  I immediately could tell the difference in taste today.  Mine was not sweet AT ALL and it didn't give my brain any sugar-desire freak outs.  She must have added something to hers and forgot or something...

 

2- I need a wardrobe overhaul in the worst way.  A lot of my clothes are either too big or too small because I'm in this weird 'in-between' weight right now.  Having to wear clothes that don't quite fit properly puts me in a bit of a bad mood.  I need some new items that will make me feel confident and sexy, damn it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh!  The longer I go without candy corn, the more I want it.  I'm even freaking dreaming about it now!  There has GOT to be some kind of compromise.  Like…maybe instead of going through a bag a week, I buy one bag and it has to last me until the end of the challenge.  I can just have my boyfriend ration out a handful and then hide the bag so it's impossible for me to find.  

 

I have a feeling that the longer I go without, the more I'll eventually and inevitably binge.  My sugar addiction is a serious beast!  This weekend was brutal as far as sugar withdrawals.  (I did get some fruit snacks to help take the edge off, but when it comes down to it…I still want candy corn.)

 

12NPvopCWMtEqY.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

Ugh!  The longer I go without candy corn, the more I want it.  I'm even freaking dreaming about it now!  There has GOT to be some kind of compromise.  Like…maybe instead of going through a bag a week, I buy one bag and it has to last me until the end of the challenge.  I can just have my boyfriend ration out a handful and then hide the bag so it's impossible for me to find.

That sounds like a really good idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.