• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AmyUncharted

Welcome to the trip, man.

44 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Question for anyone reading right now. How long does a strength training workout usually last? I'm so use to running X amount of miles and then considering myself done. How do I know I'm done with a strength workout? That sounds like a dumb question :P

I do bodyweight circuits, and between warm-up (5 to 10 minutes), three or four circuits, and cool-down/stretching (5 to 10 minutes), mine are usually about 30 minutes long.

I don't know what the academy workout looks like, but it should tell you the amount of reps and sets you have to do, and how long to rest between sets. You're done once you've completed all the sets. Or have completed as many as you can. Sometimes when starting a new workout, it ends up being a lot harder than you thought, and you won't be able to do all the sets, and that's okay. So like, if it says 2 sets of 10 squats, you'd do 10 squats, rest 30/60/120 seconds (depending on your fitness level and the difficulty of the exercise),  then do 10 more squats. For a circuit, you do several exercises in a row to complete a set and then rest. For example, 10 pushups, followed by 10 squats, followed by a 30 second plank. Then rest, and then repeat.

• Like 1

Feeling:

tumblr_inline_msg6wsM1yL1qz4rgp.gif

Thank you for the strength advice on length of time. I completed my workout and feel pretty good in my muscles :P

I was running full steam into this challenge....and then....my ex called. It's like she knew I was embarking on something big. We broke up 6 months ago after 4 years together, engagement, pregnancy, miscarriage...yada yada. So it was a bit intense and feels all fresh again. Seriously feel like I've been ripped open. It took ALL and I mean ALL of my energy to even decide to do a workout today. I stayed in my work clothes and just fucking did it. I was hoping I'd feel better but I'm just feeling like I want to hide under the covers and die. *drama queen* I know...I have a dramatic heart and soul. 

So now on to eating. I am not in the least bit hungry...I am anti hungry right now. I again, forced myself to make quinoa which is sitting downstairs getting cold because I feel like I'm going to vomit.  Just so many feelings. :(  Anyways, I'm going to do a food journal of sorts to keep track of what I'm eating, not calories, just what I ate. 

Foods so far for the day:

Home coffee with almond caramel creamer

Starbucks soy latte (I will be cutting this out soon)

Mini nori sheets

Dehydrated bananas

• Like 1

You have a challenge! And I found it! (Eventually....)

Catch up time :P

Great one on getting started with the academy! And so second on planks vs crunches. Much better overall.

Also seconded on online recipes - I use my pinterest almost exclusively as a cookbook! Super easy hassle free :) 

Bullet journal - looks amazing, gives me nothing but floating question mark around my head LOL Do whatever works for you ;) 

Not wanting to eat the stuff - yeah, I know what you mean. What really helped this last time around was two things - one was that I wanted to be able to do all these physical things, and I needed the fuel to make that happen. 2 - I finally found a visual that worked for me, it was those little health hearts from zelda and minecraft where you get full power when you refuel... switching it around to being a certain amount that I needed to refill, I dunno, it just felt so much more nurturing and natural than feeling like I was loosing the small amount I was allowing myself. Finding exciting new recipes to try is a great way to get stoked about something that might be otherwise unpleasant. Feel free to stalk my pinterest!

It's gonna be a great challenge, Following obvs!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

You have a challenge! And I found it! (Eventually....)

Catch up time :P

Great one on getting started with the academy! And so second on planks vs crunches. Much better overall.

Also seconded on online recipes - I use my pinterest almost exclusively as a cookbook! Super easy hassle free :) 

Bullet journal - looks amazing, gives me nothing but floating question mark around my head LOL Do whatever works for you ;) 

Not wanting to eat the stuff - yeah, I know what you mean. What really helped this last time around was two things - one was that I wanted to be able to do all these physical things, and I needed the fuel to make that happen. 2 - I finally found a visual that worked for me, it was those little health hearts from zelda and minecraft where you get full power when you refuel... switching it around to being a certain amount that I needed to refill, I dunno, it just felt so much more nurturing and natural than feeling like I was loosing the small amount I was allowing myself. Finding exciting new recipes to try is a great way to get stoked about something that might be otherwise unpleasant. Feel free to stalk my pinterest!

It's gonna be a great challenge, Following obvs!

I am now officially following aka stalking your pintrest!!! Looking forward to looking at it closer! I wish I knew Zelda and Minecraft better. I don't have a gaming system :( Nerd fail. I know once I get a bit more active (when I start the running part of this challenge) eating will be easier. I'm so use to just eating one meal a day and I really need to increase that to at least 2. Or increase the amount of snacks I'm eating. Meh I'll figure it out eventually. 

Thanks for the follow and comments! I will see you around the challenge!

1 minute ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

I am now officially following aka stalking your pintrest!!! Looking forward to looking at it closer! I wish I knew Zelda and Minecraft better. I don't have a gaming system :( Nerd fail.

hehe, my biggest nerd fail is that no after how many times I've asking RPG friends to be part of a game, I always got a lame school yard rejection - we have too many people already, this group has been doing it for years etc. Laaaaame! One of these days my nerd bros are gonna get their remote thing going ;) 

• Like 1

Day 2

Feeling:

f6c8d506f63ae3b71009126999a126fa.gif

Let's do this for real. Yesterday was rough. Today I will try harder. Today, for the most part, is a rest day. Monday's are busy because I have to leave for work around 7 (I don't work until 10 but I live far away from work and ya know....traffic) and I'm not home until 9pm. So not much time for things. However I still plan on putting a couple hours into the challenge by working on my journal, planning out tomorrow etc. 

I've been planning my life quest which will happen soon here. I will be viewing an apartment on Friday and think I will do the free day at the museum on Thursday as one of my Seattle adventures. 

Onward my friends! I'm ready! This battle shall be won! I will be successful in my quests today and in the future! (How's that for a pep talk ;)

• Like 2

Day 3

Feeling:

da165b8533c3460df848bd4b58b08d18.jpg

Today starts my running routine and of course....it's raining. I can do this though. I will do this. I forgot to do my pushups and planks before bed last night. Trying to decide if I will allow myself to double up today and count it towards yesterday. Not sure yet. 

Having a hard time incorporating veggies into my diet. As a vegan it's quite sad that this is an issue :( I will do it though. Water intake has been great.

I have 2 viewings in Seattle on Thursday and Friday. I also applied for a place this morning without even seeing it. This is how desperate I am to get out of my parents house. 

So far I give myself a B- on this challenge. I will up that up to an A in no time! 

Yesterday's food stuff

MacroBar

Quinoa with tomato sauce

Banana chips

Nori Sheets

Quinoa with tomato sauce again

Spinach

Veggie sausage

Small amount of vegan Caesar dressing (trying to use this up before it goes bad)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Having a hard time incorporating veggies into my diet. As a vegan it's quite sad that this is an issue :( I will do it though. Water intake has been great.

You are not the only one struggling with this. There are so many meat & dairy substitutes out there that you can pretty much go on eating the same (probably unhealthy) way you did before switching to vegan/vegetarian (I'm vegetarian).

For pasta/quinoa/rice/etc when I'm not being lazy I'll heat up some frozen veggies and toss them in. Little side salads with meals are another idea, but I'm not got at eating all the salad stuff before it goes bad so I don't do this nearly as much as I should.

40 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

For pasta/quinoa/rice/etc when I'm not being lazy I'll heat up some frozen veggies and toss them in. Little side salads with meals are another idea, but I'm not got at eating all the salad stuff before it goes bad so I don't do this nearly as much as I should.

Side salads are really what I need to get into. I also struggle to eat stuff before it goes bad and I absolutely hate wasting food. I should do kale salads because that stuff is good even when it's been sitting for awhile!

• Like 2

1) I love how you have different photos to reflect your feeling each day.

2) It takes an incredible amount of strength to do a workout even on days with the ultimate amount of challenge. Congrats on doing something! Even if you couldn't eat the quinoa. To eat more, maybe think about doing the multiple small meals a day? That way you get all the nutrition into you, but in manageable sizes.

3) Running in the rain sucks, but if you wrap up decently warm, it can be pretty brilliant as its a lot quieter, and you're more in your 'own world'. But then again I just like rain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

2) It takes an incredible amount of strength to do a workout even on days with the ultimate amount of challenge. Congrats on doing something! Even if you couldn't eat the quinoa. To eat more, maybe think about doing the multiple small meals a day? That way you get all the nutrition into you, but in manageable sizes.

3) Running in the rain sucks, but if you wrap up decently warm, it can be pretty brilliant as its a lot quieter, and you're more in your 'own world'. But then again I just like rain.

This,

This

and

This 

^^^^

Now following for more awesome photos and updates! :D  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Side salads are really what I need to get into. I also struggle to eat stuff before it goes bad and I absolutely hate wasting food. I should do kale salads because that stuff is good even when it's been sitting for awhile!

I'm the same way. I've gotten better about making the quick grocery trip on the day I'm cooking, and even about eating a big batch cook throughout the week. But... it doesn't always go so well :P One thing I like to have on hand all the time are great spice shakers but I usually just mix them myself them because $$$ 

Maybe it will be easier when you have your own place?

21 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

I did multiple small meals (well snacks really) yesterday and it really seemed to help! My problem with bundling up for rain weather is that I tend to bundle up TOO much :P I also would absolutely love running in the rain except no one has invented windshield wipers for glasses yet! 

15 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Maybe it will be easier when you have your own place?

It will definitely be better when I'm on my own and I have my own fridge and stove and pots and pans. I can't wait! 

• Like 2

Day 4

Feeling:

635891554344871889-876597853_tumblr_inli

So I did my run yesterday which surprisingly felt pretty good and the rain stopped just long enough for me to do it too! Woohoo! I drank my 3 glasses of water. Had a pretty epic meal of sweet potato with chili and chopped up vegan dogs.

I have been having a really hard time sleeping recently. Anxiety has completely overtaken me in the last week, so I've been taking a Clonazapam sometimes to quiet my brain. I took one a little late last night and passed out on the couch. Not a habit I want to get into. Anyways, I woke up feeling super groggy. I have got to keep moving today to get myself out of this fog!

Yesterday's Food:

2 Crackers

Banana chips

Kale

Half a roll

Sweet potato

Chili

Nutritional yeast

Veggie dog

Ready for day 4!

659ad5e9c58245f29c396c183d73ca6a.gif

• Like 2

Day 5

Feeling:

334kgmg.jpg

Honestly, I'm a little surprised I made it this far in the competition. Woohoo go me! I haven't been perfect and usually I would have given up at this point because I'm typically an all or nothing kind of person. But here I stand at Day 5. 

Today I go for run 2 of the week and then on to my Seattle Adventure. I've decided to take a bookstore tour and go to as many book stores as time will allow before I go view the apartment I made an appointment for. So that should be fun...and potentially dangerous for my bank account.

Yesterday's food:

Quinoa with chili

2 flour tortillas

Half an avocado 

Vegan Caesar dressing

Kind of a fail on the food front. Anxiety is preventing me from eating much more. And of course veggies are not happening. However, today I make a home cooked meal per Alison Hendrix...she told me to and you can't argue with that:

7c73a646b134e1ed844b9c7d56d783e6.jpg 

Tonight's dinner will be Asparagus Quiche with tomato and tarragon. All vegan...all delicious...I hope. I will post pictures tonight if it comes out decent looking! 

Toodles y'all

tumblr_mxgsxvvfPX1sjlda5o1_500.gif

(I apologize. I'm a little gif happy this morning)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised I made it this far in the competition. Woohoo go me! I haven't been perfect and usually I would have given up at this point because I'm typically an all or nothing kind of person. But here I stand at Day 5. 

Today I go for run 2 of the week and then on to my Seattle Adventure. I've decided to take a bookstore tour and go to as many book stores as time will allow before I go view the apartment I made an appointment for. So that should be fun...and potentially dangerous for my bank account.

Image result for you're here forever

Well done on sticking out with your challenge so far! 

The bookstore tour sounds incredibly dangerous and highly addictive. Prepare for a long day, bring comfy trainers and a very very large backpack :P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

The bookstore tour sounds incredibly dangerous and highly addictive.

It was indeed dangerous! I bought 2 books, a candle, and a stuffed narwhal...because...ya know...everyone needs one of those :P

a6dda85ddb650a043f108a7347331f7c.jpg

• Like 2

Feeling:

supergirl-gif.gif

It is entirely possible that I secured a Seattle apartment today! I'm trying not to get my hopes up...but man I'm excited!

I did much better food wise today:

Banana chips

Coconut yogurt

2 pieces of toast

1/2 and avocado

Nutritional yeast

Slice of vegan quiche

Quiche did not look pretty but tasted alright. I will eat the rest of it. NO WASTING!

Now I'm off to prioritize my reading list. Goodnight all! 

• Like 2

Day 6

Feeling:

ghouliacartoon_by_pixelkitties-d6al4ni.p

I don't wanna go to work *stomps feet* I'm suppose to have the day off, but since I want to run that 5K in a couple weeks I switched with someone at my work so I'll be working 6 days this week. BLLLLAAAAHHHH.

I think I'll be Ghoulia Yelps for Halloween.

No major plans for today. I should hear about the apartment this afternoon...so I hope I have good news by then! When I get home around 8:30 tonight I have to complete my strength training! I will have done the 3 days I set aside for week 1! Proudness! 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 7:48 PM, Rosie's Riveter said:

How long does a strength training workout usually last?

It can vary from  15-60 mins based on how long you want it to be, your energy level or condition and your current strength/ stamina level. It can also be varied by how much time you rest b/w sets.

You dont actually need to count your session time. The effectiveness of the session can be seen from your body's feedback- sweat,exhaustion(for a little while), l little pain in the muscle set engaged and so on.

• Like 1

Feeling:

Rainbow-Dash-Is-Sad-Down-On-My-Little-Po'

Feeling pretty defeated. Have not been eating well, exercising, or living well in general. Depression hit me hard. HARD. I feel lost, unmotivated, and, as I said completely defeated. I'm considering ditching the challenge and just focusing on the academy stuff and using a battle log. I feel like such a loser right now. 

I've been there before (quite a few times). I'm actually struggling a bit right now. 

YMMV, but what's worked for me in the past is to change my challenge. Simplify it. Make it ridiculously easy (though it still won't be that easy cause bleh). Goals that are like, "I really don't feel like doing anything, but I guess I could do this one really small thing ... Yay, I did something. *gold star*" I've found that when I completely ditch a challenge, I end up feeling worse, and it takes me longer to get better. Motivation is something I constantly struggle with (a bit less so after reading Level Up Your Life and writing a small essay about where I want to eventually be, but even with an end game in mind, it's still hard). Over the past few months, I've moved more towards the thinking that discipline > motivation. But putting that thought into action is easier said then done.

Try to find small things to help lift yourself up. And if the depression doesn't ease up, consider getting help.

Hang in there.

• Like 1

Image result for heart gif

You are the one with the control over your challenge.

If you can't handle it now, don't be afraid to take a step back and take care of yourself first. Only with your mind in place can your body thrive.

I hope you find yourself in a better place soon <3 

• Like 1

Thanks both of you. I've decided to sit this one out. I'm going to be keeping track in a battle log, at least for now. I was just putting a lot of pressure on myself...and probably afraid a little bit of failing. I appreciate all the support I received on this thread. Thank you all. 

You can check out my Battle Log if anyone is interested. 

• Like 1