• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mache einen Plan, sei ein großes Licht. Mache einen zweiten Plan, doch gehen tun sie beide nicht! (Bertold Brecht)

One of my fellow students loved these words and never tired of repeating them.

Englisch translation: Make a plan, be a great light. Make a second plan, but they aren’t working both.

1.       Find a room to rent.

Because I do an apprenticeship in a town to farm away from my parent’s house to drive each day, I have to find a room where I can stay. Currently I live in a student’s home, but have to leave at the end of this month. Don’t laugh about this quest. It’s really difficult to find anything in this damn city. Either there are at least 20 other who want to rent exactly the same room you want or it’s simply too expensive.

2.       Japanese

I do the Rosetta Stone course to learn Japanese. Love the concept of learning with pictures, spoken word, written word and no translation. I have to admit that I’m cheating by using the content of the english course too. It’s not always clear understandable what is meant, so this helps a lot.

Quest: 2 Chapters per week (that’s around 4 hours work)

3.       Learn Touch Typing

I’m forced to do this, because my company wants it. Each week I have to do a 1 min typing test and show that I improved. I learned typing through Learning-by-doing and always used just the right hand, while looking on the keyboard. When I type what I think then I have more than 200 keystrokes per minute. In a typing test where I have to type a text that I can see, I do 175 keys/min with one hand.

I already improved my two hand writing. I am now at 160 keys/min, but with looking sometimes on the keyboard. (For comparison: Physical border is at 750 keys/ min and a good writer can do 200 – 400 key/min.) My fellow apprentice manages to do 250 keys/min. So the goal for now is to get at least as good as him.

Quest: 20 min practice per day

Btw: I’m not typing this text with 10 fingers. Yes I should, but I can’t concentrate atm at my fingers AND on what I want to type.

4.       Tim Ferriss’ Slow Carb Diet

I’m curious if this diet is really working, so I try it out now. It hurts that I’m not allowed to eat fresh bread, but I will survive it. Once in a week I’m allowed to eat everything. What I don’t survive is drinking coffee without milk. :D

One positive effect this diet had already: I’m eating regularly. (I started it Sunday.)

Quest:

Sa-Do     Slow Carb Food

Fr            Eat what u want

5.        Workout

I’ve found a little app with a 30 day challenge. The workouts are similar to Steve’s beginner workout and each day has a couple of repetitions more.

Quest: Each day 1 workout

6.       Running

The goal is 3 km without stop. In Order to do so I use the free workouts of the Freeletics Running App. For somebody with literally no condition like me the workouts are good to start somewhere. And because they track the time of each run, you see a progress.

Quest: Running 3 days per week

7.       English

I want to improve my English. When I bought the books for my apprenticeship, I bought a used English practice book too. It’s for the 9th year of school and has a lot of exercises, mainly for the tenses. I always had problems with English grammar. Actually, I hated English in school. Now I hate to watch original English series in german.

Quest: 1/2-1hour per week doing exercises

8.       Swedish

I know I’m crazy, but I rly want to learn this language too. :D

Quest: 1 chapter per week

9.       Learn for apprenticeship

28.09.   Great Homework in English (that’s 20% of the final result at the end of the year) Done

28.10.   Class test in “Production”

10.     Keep the room tidy

My room was always a mess since childhood. I tend to let everything fall at the first free place I see, not where it would make sense to put it. When I had stopped studying I needed to move back home and take my whole household with me. Some time before I found Marie Kondos concept of tidying up. In one sentence: Throw everything away what doesn’t spark joy.  (what makes you happy, or what isn’t important, like contracts.) Before I moved I did exactly what she told. Back at home, I had fewer items than before and still the same messy room. :D

Then our WLAN router said goodbye and I had 3 days no real internet. (I had just my Smartphone left without enough data volume to watch movies or League of Legends streams).  So I cleaned my room while listening to the 4-hour audiobook “The Life-changing Magic of tidying up”. (It’s still on YouTube, if somebody is curious.)

My room in Göttingen is currently tidy.

Quest: Keep it!

All at a glance:

Tasks:

-          Find a room to rent Done.

-          Learn for apprenticeship

Daily:

-          Touch typing (20 min per day)

-          Workout

Habit:

-          Slow Carb Diet (6 days slow carb, 1 day all u want to eat)

-          Keep the room tidy.

Weekly:

-          Japanese (2 Chapters per week)

-          Swedish (1 Chapter per week)

-          Running (3 times in a week)

-          English (1/2-1hour)

I’ll see if I can do this all or if I want too many things at once. At the end of each week, I’ll give a report.

• Like 4

Konban wa. Watashi wa Akari desu. Doitsu no shusshin desu. Nijuugosai desu. Inu o katte imasu. Doitsugo to eigo o hanshimasu. Nihongo to suwedengo benkyoushite imasu.

Good Evening, I'm Akari. I'm german, 25 years old and have a dog. I speak german and english and I learn japanese and swedish.

I finished 1 Chapter Japanese and had to write down somewhere what I'm able to say about myself in japanese. Maybe I can convince somebody to learn japanese with me, when I continue to write :D

On 20.9.2016 at 5:52 PM, PhysicsObeysMe said:

If this is your first time trying to learn Swedish, it will definitely be a challenge,

Honestly, at the moment I dont have trouble. There are some similarities to german. But with swedisch I am not that far as I am with japanese.

• Like 4

That's really cool then! Lots of members of my family are very multi-lingual, but I always struggle a lot with it, and it currently isn't a priority when compared to my studies, but it's definitely want to pursue. Lets learn ALL the languages!!

• Like 1

The Rosetta Stones Course is really good when u want to do first steps in a language. Honestly its like a game. You r constantly in interaction. Sure u have to put in some work, like searching in Google how this grammar works or what is meant by some words. Did that several times. One example: Japanese treats living things different than not living things. For Japanese I have a normal workbook too. The good thing about this is, that I get background information about the culture. But I learned words and phrases faster with Rosetta. The only bad thing about Rosetta: it's not as cheap as a book.

For those who r curious, u can try out the first lesson for free for all their languages.

• Like 2

I’ll see if I can do this all or if I want too many things at once. At the end of each week I’ll give a report.

Your Questlist is awesome! I see a slight risk of overextending but give it a go and aim for the sky! :) It will definately give a lot of room to learn and grow so i'm cheering for you! :) 

Today I have fallen back into old bad habbits. I had watched 3 hours TV bevore I started homework for tomorrow. And I needed two hours for the homework which I could have done in half the time. And I didnt do anything else reasonable today, except my workout.

9 minutes ago, Akari said:

Today I have fallen back into old bad habbits. I had watched 3 hours TV bevore I started homework for tomorrow. And I needed two hours for the homework which I could have done in half the time. And I didnt do anything else reasonable today, except my workout.

You've managed to do your work, and your workout, which is still an accomplishment! Try tomorrow with small steps and slowly build up. Every day and every hour is its own mini reset button and you have as many chances as you need to improve. Stick at it! Ganbatte!

• Like 1

On 22/09/2016 at 0:40 AM, Akari said:

Konban wa. Watashi wa Akari desu. Doitsu no shusshin desu. Nijuugosai desu. Inu o katte imasu. Doitsugo to eigo o hanshimasu. Nihongo to suwedengo benkyoushite imasu.

Good Evening, I'm Akari. I'm german, 25 years old and have a dog. I speak german and english and I learn japanese and swedish.

I finished 1 Chapter Japanese and had to write down somewhere what I'm able to say about myself in japanese. Maybe I can convince somebody to learn japanese with me, when I continue to write :D

Honestly, at the moment I dont have trouble. There are some similarities to german. But with swedisch I am not that far as I am with japanese.

Where did you learn speaking Japanese? :) I want to learn, too :)

2 hours ago, LucentFrost said:

Where did you learn speaking Japanese? :) I want to learn, too :)

Hi Frost, that's awsomne to hear. I still hope to find somebody who learns with me. :D I currently use the online software from Rosetta Stone. And I'm still a beginner.

On 22.9.2016 at 1:52 PM, Akari said:

The Rosetta Stones Course is really good when u want to do first steps in a language. Honestly its like a game. You r constantly in interaction. Sure u have to put in some work, like searching in Google how this grammar works or what is meant by some words. Did that several times. One example: Japanese treats living things different than not living things. For Japanese I have a normal workbook too. The good thing about this is, that I get background information about the culture. But I learned words and phrases faster with Rosetta. The only bad thing about Rosetta: it's not as cheap as a book.

For those who r curious, u can try out the first lesson for free for all their languages.

If u can't effort the money for Rosetta, you could try the book "Japanese from Zero". I read a lot of positive things about this book, even though I use a different one. But I don't think my book is sold anywhere else then in Germany.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Akari said:

Hi Frost, that's awsomne to hear. I still hope to find somebody who learns with me. :D I currently use the online software from Rosetta Stone. And I'm still a beginner.

If u can't effort the money for Rosetta, you could try the book "Japanese from Zero". I read a lot of positive things about this book, even though I use a different one. But I don't think my book is sold anywhere else then in Germany.

I tried to learn with Nihongo Master, but I stopped for awhile. I'll try to search for that book on local bookstores. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

10 minutes ago, LucentFrost said:

I tried to learn with Nihongo Master, but I stopped for awhile.

Had to try this out instantly :) But honestly, I don't like it. Lonly words to remember is hard, because you don't have any context. It's easier to learn whole sentenses. And for just learning hiragana and katagana www.memrise.com is rly good.

At the moment I just can read hiragana. Rosetta Stone gives you the option between hiragana and katagana (both together), Kanji or Romaji. Because it gives me fast results I just use Romanji.

For those out there who have no clue about what I write:

Hiragana: "alphabet", using syllables

Katagana: "alphabet", using syllables, just for foreign words

Kanji: Chinese characters

Romanji: Japanese words wrote with Latin alphabet

• Like 1

This is super impressive! Languages will be on my goals list eventually. I have to finish my bachelors first. I've taken like 3 years of Spanish classes but I've lost it all now. I'll need it for my career field (horticulture, landscaping, and irrigation), but I also just want to learn Spanish. I think German would be cool to learn because I have a lot of German ancestry, though. That would probably be my second choice. 

Good luck with all of this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GardenGeek said:

I think German would be cool to learn because I have a lot of German ancestry, though. That would probably be my second choice. 

Good luck with all of this!

Thanks GardenGeek, tell me when you start to learn German, then I will you explain our wonderful grammar. xD (Not even all Germans know how it works.)

• Like 2

Thanks GardenGeek, tell me when you start to learn German, then I will you explain our wonderful grammar. xD (Not even all Germans know how it works.)

It was my understanding that part of the reason why English is so weird is because of the German roots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mache einen Plan .... und wirf ihn wieder über den Haufen.

Weekly Report:

I wrote down my challenge on tuesday, but I started it already on sunday. So I guess I can recap the week.

I've noticed again that I hate english grammar, but still want to learn it.

Half of the exercises I have done were wrong. Even when I had recaped my mistakes and tried the same exercise next day again, half of it was wrong. I'm struggling to learn the rules of it and kinda use everything randomly.

While writing this, I'm asking myself if my grammar is correct or not. Someone correct these few sentenses please. Maybe I will learn it then. xD

Japanese and Swedish: I absolved my schedule.

Slow Carb Diet: Todays my day off. I can eat what I want. It's just that I ruined the plan and did it yesterday :D So I adjusted the plan: Friday is now the day where everything is allowed. (edited that in the first post of this challenge too) I think friday (in japanese "kinyoubi", learned the weekdays already) is a better choice for me than saturday, because friday after school (half past two) starts my weekend. :) Used the day off to eat apple cake. (a whole apple cake of 600 gram for dinner. was stuffed afterwards, but didn't felt any guilt :P)

It was frustrated yesterday. Got to hear: Oh sorry, we can't let you our appartement, because we're affraid that you will not be able to pay the rental fee. I don't know what people expect from somebody who is doing an apprenticeship. Of cource I'm not rich, but I payed my rental fee the damn 5 years, while I was studying and I have a **** paper, where this is confirmed. (Germans love papers where everything is confirmed.) And I have my parents standing behind me if I should get into trouble. Had school yesterday and drove right after it to my enterprise. They told me: Don't worry, in worst case scenario (means no appartment at 1st october) we'll find a couch for you, so you don't have to go back home and drive each day one and a half hour.

Running: Managed to run 1 km at once. Didn't had the motivation to do that before, but the positive pressure of the forum helps me a lot to stay behind my challenge.

I have a new challenge: Keep track of finances, especially when buying food. Eat less meat than last week and more legumes and vegetables. Legumes means for me just kidney beans. I tried black beans and soja beans, but prefer kidney beans. Lentils are a possibility too, but i guess I have to cook them by myself. I don't like them out of a can. If I had a fridge I would cook lentile soup like my mom does and frezze it.

At last point I tell you my biggest success this week: I am now able to write blind on a keybord. I just manage to do 90 keystrokes per minute at the moment, but I can do it completly blind. Next week I increase the speed!

• Like 1

That's a good dietary plan! It's just when you can build to the point where every day is off day.

I'm sorry about your apartment, hopefully something will come through for you soon! 

The positive peer pressure of the forum is always available to help kick you back into gear, and I'm glad to hear its been helping! Are you planning on running 1k every time until you build to 3k?

Finances are haaaard. I'm trying to get myself to sit down at the end of every month and sort out my budgeting, but it's so hard to sit down for that 1 hour every month??

And congrats on your touch typing! It's a skill few have, but can really help! (I'm currently writing on two keyboards because some of the keys on both are broken, and buying a new keyboard is unnecessary (I use a laptop), and its really slowed down my writing pace, which I hate, but touch typing speeds everything up so much.)

Keep it up!

9 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

Are you planning on running 1k every time until you build to 3k?

Till now I did intervall training with different distances. The Freeletics app has 4 running workouts for free.

I use these three: (read this as: meter to run, time to rest)

Bastet (total of 1,6 km): 100m, 2min, 200m, 3min, 400m, 5min, 200m, 3 min, 400m, 5min, 200m, 3 min, 100m

Xerxes (total of 1,8 km): 200m, 2min, 200m, 2min, 1km, 5min, 200m, 2min, 200m#

Maat (total of 2 km): 200m, 30 sec  repeat it 10 times

The workout Xerxes I tried today the first time. Was scared by that 1 km. In the workout Maat I always walked the 5. repeat because I was unable to keep running and fell back into walking.

25 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

(I'm currently writing on two keyboards because some of the keys on both are broken, and buying a new keyboard is unnecessary (I use a laptop)

My wonderfull toaster (it's a laptop) has no working keyboard too. So, welcome to the club. :D And because I had to buy an usb keyboard I decided to get a gamer keayboard (Roccat Arvo). I love it.

I just came back from a run. I ran a total of 2,2 km, half of it uphill, and walked more than the same distance too. I'm completly exhausted but i feel great. I bet I will have a cat in my muscles tomorrow or whatever you call this in english.

1 hour ago, Akari said:

I just came back from a run. I ran a total of 2,2 km, half of it uphill, and walked more than the same distance too. I'm completly exhausted but i feel great. I bet I will have a cat in my muscles tomorrow or whatever you call this in english.

Wow! Way to kick off the challenge. I have never heard of the expression "cat in my muscles" before :D But I totally love it! Sorry english is a pain in the ass language to learn. I haven't studied any other languages in depth but from what I  hear English doesn't make sense when it comes to rules and such...it's just kind of all over the place. 

Also, housing and apartment hunting ugh. I'm seriously rooting for you. I just got denied a place too because they didn't think I would be able to afford the rent. Despite my record of never paying rent late, always being in good standing with my landlords, and being an overall great tenant. What a pain. I hope something turns up for you so you don't have to couch surf! 

5 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Wow! Way to kick off the challenge. I have never heard of the expression "cat in my muscles" before :D But I totally love it!

The german word is Muskelkater, build with Kater (male cat) and Muskel (muscle). When the muscle hurt germans say: Ich habe einen Muskelkater. (free translated: I have a cat in my muscles.)

Don't know if there is any similar in english. xD

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Akari said:

The german word is Muskelkater, build with Kater (male cat) and Muskel (muscle). When the muscle hurt germans say: Ich habe einen Muskelkater. (free translated: I have a cat in my muscles.)

Don't know if there is any similar in english. xD

We just call it a pain or a stiffness. The official term is Delayed Onset Muscle Symptom. But yeah, we just say "My muscles are stiff"

But congratulations on your run!

1 minute ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

We just call it a pain or a stiffness. The official term is Delayed Onset Muscle Symptom. But yeah, we just say "My muscles are stiff"

But congratulations on your run!