• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zeroh13

Zeroh and the Tale of the Great Zombie Impersonation

As Zeroh celebrates not being a tree anymore, a hooded figure approaches them. "I need your help. Yes, it's urgent. No, I don't have time to explain." And with a puff of smoke, everything disappears.

hallowtowne.jpg

"Welcome to Hallowtowne."

"Thanks, I guess..."

"I don't have much time to explain. My father, the mayor, has gone missing. Why he would wander off during the busiest and most important time of the year is beyond me. But I need you to impersonate him."

"Impersonate?"

"Correct. We are in the midst of Samhain preparations and if anyone suspects anything has gone wrong, it could spell disaster for the coming year. Surely you understand how important this is?"

"But..."

"Now, drink this. It will give your skin a wonderful green pallor."

"Green?!"

"Of course! What other color would a zombie be? And these papers. They have everything you need to know. What else... Ah! If anyone suggests that you're acting a tad peculiar, blame it on your brain rotting." And with that she disappears as mysteriously as she appeared. Zeroh sighs, and flips through the papers.

Page One: The Zombie

You have become a little soft around the edges. The mayor is decidedly not. To impersonate him, you need to start tracking being mindful of what you eat.

[Daily Goal: Eat 1800 +/- 100 200 calories (+1 point) AND 100g of protein (+1 point)]

[Daily Goal: Mindful of food choices (+1 point) AND mindful of eating habits (+1 points)

Page Two: The Witch-in-Training

Maribelle is in charge of the food and potions. Unfortunately, she is a horrible cook. Fortunately, she is slightly better at mixing potions. You are to assist her in her training, and make sure she doesn't blow too many things up.

[Daily Goal: researching (30mins) OR cooking (1 new dish) OR reading (1 hour) (+1 point)]

Page Three: The Headless Horseman's Head

Harold's body had a minor disagreement with his head, and subsequently rode off in a huff without it. Make sure Harold keeps up with his meditation practice so he doesn't loose his mind while he waits for his body to come back.

[Daily Goal: meditation (10mins) OR reflection (5 minutes of writing) (+1 point)]

Page Four: The Black Cat

Salem has been neglecting her feline duties. Accompany her during her physical training, and make sure she isn't slacking off more than she should be.

[Daily Goal: Exercise session OR Stretching session (+1 point) AND stay hydrated (+1 point)]

Page Five: The Scarecrow

Sonny has been fawning over one of the other scarecrows, but he won't even give him the time of day. Help Sonny become a better scarecrow so that he may impress his crush.

[Daily Goal: Mindfulness of posture (+1 point) AND upkeep of appearance (+1 point)]

Page Six: The Skeleton

Skelly is in charge of the upkeep around Hallowtowne. They are also in charge of the decorations and other preparations for Samhain. But with the backlog of requests, this is just too much for one person. Do everything you can to make sure the town is ready in time.

[Daily Goal: Chores (+1 point)] [Weekly Goal: Halloween Prep Assignment (+5 points)]

Bonuses & Penalties

TBD

Bonus points will be awarded for the following tasks:

• drinking 1 liter of water (+1)
  • unpacking, 30 mins (+1)
  • sewing, 30 mins (+1)
  • posting daily update (+1)
  • posting weekly round-up without story (+2)
  • posting weekly round-up with story (+5)

And points will be subtracted for the following:

• eating/drinking junk (-1)
  • buying junk (-5)

Ranks

• S = Above 100% (Challenge Reward)
  • A = Above 80% (Page Rewards)
  • B = Above 60% (Pass)
  • C = Above 40%
  • D = Above 20%
  • E = 20% and below

Rewards

Earning an A rank on a page unlocks a page specific reward. Earning a S rank on the challenge unlocks the challenge reward. Points are tracked on a spreadsheet that automatically calculates the current rank.

• Challenge Reward: The Serenity of Suffering (new Korn album, coming out on Oct 21st!!!!)
  • Page One: New asexuality ring
  • Page Two: Spice rack
  • Page Three: Headphones
  • Page Four: Water bottle
  • Page Five: Pomade
  • Page Six: Coloring book
Edited by zeroh13
various changes, plus added rewards
  • Like 6

Week Zero

My plan for zero week (which started Monday for me) was to only count calories, and instead of 1800 +/- 100 calories, I would get a point if it was +/- 200 calories. I did good on the counting calories part. Not so good on the right amount of calories part. Monday, Friday, and yesterday were way too low. Yesterday was especially bad.

Weekly Score: 50%, C Rank

Obviously, these calories are going to be more challenging than I thought, so I'm now aiming for 1800 +/- 200 for the remainder of the challenge.

• Like 1

I like your challenge a lot! What are the characters based on? Is it a book series?

And what's the Halloween prep? Do you decorate like crazy? Making a costume? Hosting a party?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I like your challenge a lot! What are the characters based on? Is it a book series?

And what's the Halloween prep? Do you decorate like crazy? Making a costume? Hosting a party?

Thanks. They're characters I whipped up taking inspiration from popular Halloween figures. And for the picture, I just did a little googling for artwork of haunted looking towns.

The Halloween prep is basically decorating, getting a variety of pumpkin beer and ciders, and putting together the menu. I usually end up wanting to have a costume, but don't really have the time or money for it, or anywhere to wear it aside from around the house. I normally just dust off some of my old goth clothes and hope something fits. Though I do have an idea for something I might be able to pull together...

I don't really have any friends I could invite for a party, much less any pagan ones who actually understand why Samhain is important to me. So it's just going to be a small party of four (me, wife, two cats).

• Like 4

Day One, Sunday, the 25th of September

Page One: The Zombie (+1)

Calories: 1622

Protein: 55g

I had a light breakfast before my workout, which didn't really have much in the way of protein. And I didn't really have that much protein in my after workout snack. But I am glad that I actually got a decent amount of calories.

Page Two: The Witch-in-Training (+1)

I made coconut banana granola, following this recipe:

http://nutritionistmeetschef.com/banana-granola/. For the most part. My coconut oil went bad, so I had to use melted vegan butter. And I'm out of pumpkin seeds, so I used more sunflower seeds and more coconut. It's not bad, and pairs pretty good with soy milk, but I don't think I'll make it again.

Page Three: The Headless Horseman's Head (+1)

I did ten minutes of self-guided meditation in the afternoon. I did it lying down this time because my back was hurting. And then one of my cats thought that would be a good time to take a nap on me.

Page Four: The Black Cat (+1)

I started Zombies Run. Did the first mission on the way to the park, paused it during my workout, and then finished on my way back from the park. I think I managed maybe 50% walk, and 50% light jog. For my park workout, I did four circuits of squat pull-ups, incline push-ups, and dead-hangs.

Page Five: The Scarecrow (+2)

I took a shower and shaved after I got back from exercising. I'm really lazy when it comes to shaving my face, so this is definitely something to work on. I also made an effort to stay mindful of my posture while sitting throughout the day.

Page Six: The Skeleton (+1)

I made a chore list on my chalkboard, and completed both chores (dishes and tidying up).

Bonuses (+2)

• drinking 1 liter of water (+1)
  • posting daily update (added to the day that is being updated) (+1)

Penalties (0)

Ranks

Daily: 9 points, 113%, S rank

Weekly: 9 points, 15%, E rank

Challenge: 12 points, 4.8%, E rank

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I don't really have any friends I could invite for a party, much less any pagan ones who actually understand why Samhain is important to me. So it's just going to be a small party of four (me, wife, two cats).

This all make much more sense to me now. It's an important day for you, and cats are certainly a good addition to any party.

Naps with cats are also excellent.

• Like 2

Day Two, Monday, the 26th of September

Page One: The Zombie (+2)

Calories: 1661

Protein: 102

I ate some of the granola I made yesterday with soymilk. And I had a greek yogurt after my workout. Lunch was a protein shake with banana, blackberries, and blueberries, and obviously protein powder. Which I need to order more of, because that used up everything that I could scrap out of the container. Plus toast with hummus. And dinner was a buffalo chik veggie patty with swiss cheese, bbq sauce, and mixed greens. And a really small slice of pizza that my wife gave me. And for dessert I had another greek yogurt (strawberry cheesecake flavor).

I spent some time before bed researching juicing (fruits and veggies), and got some basic information about what's good and bad about it and some really basic stuff on juice cleanses.

I did ten minutes of seated stretching meditation before heading to bed.

I continued working on Darebee's Age of Pandora workout program. I completed chapter 6.

I brushed AND flossed my teeth before we went to the grocery store. My gums did not appreciate it. I did a decent job with my posture. Eventually I'll break the habit of slouching all the time.

I made a chore list on my chalkboard, and completed all of the chores. Laundry, cleaning the vacuum, and taking out the trash and recycling.

Bonuses (+1)

• daily update (added to the day that is being updated)

Penalties (0)

Ranks

Daily: 9 points, 113%, S rank

Weekly: 18 points, 30%, D rank

Challenge: 21 points, 8.4%, E rank

• Like 3

Day Three, Tuesday, the 27th of September

Calories: 1856

Protein: 101

Granola, with soymilk. Lunch at work was the Southwest Black Bean Burger, with some cream of asparagus soup. For dinner I made mac & cheese with fake chorizo. And I had a side salad, but I only really ate a couple of the hard-boiled eggs out of it (for the protein) because the mac & cheese was very filling.  And before bed I ate a greek yogurt with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and coconut to get that last amount of protein I needed.

I spent an hour reading the book I got from the library about nutrition for vegetarian athletes. Really it was two half hours, but it still adds up to an hour so its okay.

I did five minutes of written reflection. Most of it was about something that happened at work.

I completed chapter 7 in the Pandora program.

Brushed and flossed my teeth, and fixed my hair.

Made list and did both chores, tidying and washing dishes.

Bonuses (+2)

• 1 liter of water

Penalties (0)

Ranks

Daily: 10 points, 125%, S rank

Weekly: 28 points, 46%, C rank

Challenge: 31 points, 12.4%, E rank

Edited by zeroh13
fixed the date
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Ohhh I'm very interested in this book you read for vegetarian athletes! Do share the title! 

It's Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by D. Enette Larson-Meyer. It's a pretty good book. The only downside is that it's 10 years old now. But it was the only vegetarian/vegan nutrition book the university library had...

• Like 1

So, I've added something to one of my goals. Page four now includes being mindful of hydration (will update first post when I have time). I'm not going to count how much water I'm drinking, but I'll be checking in with my levels throughout the day and drink more as necessary.

Day Four, Wednesday, the 28th of September

Missed points on meditation, posture, and chores. Calories were higher than I would of liked, but still in the acceptable range.

Daily rank: 63%,  B

Day Five, Thursday, the 29th of September

Calories: 1974

Protein: 102

Granola and soy milk for breakfast. A tomato caprese panini with cheesy broccoli soup for lunch. And dinner was leftovers from yesterday's lunch: A quarter of a mushroom flatbread sandwich (it's a huge sandwich), and what I call loaded macaroni salad. I basically add hard boiled eggs, beans, lettuce and/or spinach, shredded cheese, and carrots to macaroni salad. Nuts and seeds are a great addition, but really jacks up the calories on something that's already up there in calories, so probably only good when bulking. I also had a greek yogurt before bed so I could meet my protein goal.

Read the book for an hour. Got through the chapter on meal planning, which has a thing or two I want to try next challenge.

Did two 5 minute chunks of meditation.

Page Four: The Black Cat (+2)

Completed chapter 8 in Pandora. I also stayed hydrated, yay!

I didn't have time to floss yesterday, but I did brush my teeth (plus mouthwash, but I always do that after brushing cause I don't like how my toothpaste tastes.) I fought with my hair a little, but in the end it was a hat day, mostly cause it was just pouring down rain nonstop. I did a decent job of checking my posture.

I did my chores for the day, which included ordering more protein powder. That should arrive tomorrow.

Bonuses (+1)

Penalties (0)

Ranks

Daily: 10 points, 111%, S rank

Weekly: 43 points, 67%, B rank

Challenge: 46 points, 16.8%, E rank

• Like 2

Day Six, Friday, the 30th of September

Calories: 1721

Protein: 95

Yesterday was not a good food day. Actually, it was just fine until dinner. When I really just did not want to eat the salad I had brought (I was working). I did make food when I got home, but I didn't add it to MFP until this morning.

Read for another hour. Almost done with the book.

Page Three: The Headless Horseman's Head (0)

I totally forgot to do this.

Page Four: The Black Cat (+2)

Did chapter 9 in Pandora. I did a good job of staying hydrated. I may have been over hydrated? But I just kept feeling thirsty no mater how much water I drank...

I took a shower, brushed my teeth (but didn't floss), and combed my hair (but didn't put gunk in it, so just ended up wearing my (work) hat all day).

I tidied a bit before work.

Bonuses (+1)

Penalties (0)

Ranks

Daily: 8 points, 89%, A rank

Weekly: 51 points, 80%, B rank

Challenge: 54 points, 19.7%, E rank

• Like 1

I need to change my challenge. Calorie counting is definitely not working for me right now. It's just messing with my head too much. And I don't know if it's working or not.

I don't know if I want to drop it altogether, or switch it for something like counting portions of the various food groups.

Plus, I don't know what's going on with my body, but it really doesn't like me right now. My sense of when I'm hungry or not is completely off. It's gotten to the point where 80% of the time I have to rely on hunger pains. And then after I eat, my stomach usually ends up hurting again after like half an hour. And that's on top of my urine telling me I'm hydrated, but I'm constantly thirsty. What gives?

And then last night (technically 5am), my body gives me a proper scare. I'm standing, keeping my wife company while she goes to the bathroom because she woke up with a panic attack. Well, my hearing turns staticky, and my body gets cold. It's been a few years since this has happened, but I know that if I don't find somewhere to sit in the next few seconds, I'll wake up on the floor. Probably with a nice new bruise. I manage to get to the bed, and just lie on my stomach for a few minutes until it passes. I eat a banana, though I don't know if it will help or not. And then I go back to sleep.

*sigh*

Sorry to hear about the scare :( Calorie counting never quite worked for me. Last summer I used something called the 21 Day Fix from the Beachbody company. I think it was sort of mimicking macro counting combined with portion control. I think people have hacked it pretty well so you could Google it and find the measurements and food groups. It at least got me started on the right foot with some kind of control without having to count calories. I've also heard that weight watchers is a good starting point but it didn't quite work for me.

• Like 1

Also, it took me so long to figure out how to eat and I'm still learning. I read a book a few years ago called "Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much." It's sort of a guide for mindful eating. It had journaling prompts and other exercises that ended up being incredibly helpful. 

• Like 1

Found you!! RedStone can be a bit slow at times...

On 10/1/2016 at 7:30 PM, zeroh13 said:

I don't know if I want to drop it altogether, or switch it for something like counting portions of the various food groups.

Plus, I don't know what's going on with my body, but it really doesn't like me right now. My sense of when I'm hungry or not is completely off. It's gotten to the point where 80% of the time I have to rely on hunger pains.

Any which way that works for you is the right way. I've gone through dabbles of trying to track and stopped after a week of tearing my hair out, then waiting 4 months before trying again. If it's not helping and making you nuts instead, screw it :P 

One thing that helps when I'm never hungry is to set up meal times ahead of time, and just eat my planned meal whether I want it or not. It sucks for a few days, but then after that it becomes routine and isn't nearly as awful.

Not sure if these are all stuff you've tried, just hoping to offer something useful to you! :D Another week starts, Monday fresh!

• Like 1

I've come up with a solution (to my food tracking predicament) that should be relatively simple, and fit with the rest of the challenge. There's two parts, the first is to be mindful of my food choices. Did I eat fruit today? Veggies? A variety of protein? Do I really need that chocolate? That sort of thing. The second part is to be mindful of my eating habits. So, mindfulness while I'm eating - taking my time, tasting each of the flavors and textures at work in the dish. Am I full? Am I still hungry? Do I really need to eat the second half of this really big serving now, or would it be better to just save it for later? No, really, shouldn't you save it for later? Etc.

I'll post a week one summary once I have time to write something up.

• Like 7

I. LOVE. Your Samhain challenge!!!! <333333  I'm more of an eclectic pagan and you're totally right, I don't have any IRL folks that "get it". (Partner+cat aside!!  Heehee.)

It's clearly taken me 500 years to get over here Because Life but I'm following with great interest~

2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I've come up with a solution (to my food tracking predicament) that should be relatively simple, and fit with the rest of the challenge. There's two parts, the first is to be mindful of my food choices. Did I eat fruit today? Veggies? A variety of protein? Do I really need that chocolate? That sort of thing. The second part is to be mindful of my eating habits. So, mindfulness while I'm eating - taking my time, tasting each of the flavors and textures at work in the dish. Am I full? Am I still hungry? Do I really need to eat the second half of this really big serving now, or would it be better to just save it for later? No, really, shouldn't you save it for later? Etc.

Ooh this is goooood.  I really hate food tracking too - I use My Fitness Pal on and off just to make sure I'm in a decent zone and getting all my macros close - but it really overwhelms me and stresses me out.  (And it's so time consuming!!)  A lot of people suggest "intuitive eating" which sounds just like what you're up to!!  I hope you have success with it, food is really really hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

After tracking calories ion MFP for long enough to kick bad eating habits, this is pretty much how I roll now. Be mindful, but not obsessive. Your body will let you know when things are amiss. Good luck!

• Like 1