Zeroh and the Tale of the Great Zombie Impersonation

zeroh13

Thanks everyone. 

I know I'm probably not getting enough nutrients, because I don't eat very many fruits and veggies on a daily basis. So next challenge I'm going to do something a little more in depth to try and fix that. What I'm looking at is basically a food group checklist. X number of grains, X number of veggies, X number of beans/tofu/fake meat, etc.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Week One

Zeroh looks in the mirror and sighs. The mayor’s clothes are somehow more snug than before. They throw a sheet over the mirror and head outside. Before the door even closes behind them, there is a small bang, and a wisp of smoke dances in the air a couple houses down. “I leave her alone for just one day…”

As Zeroh heads towards Maribelle's house, they pass Salem napping on a stone wall. “Salem, aren't you supposed to be on patrol?”

“I am,” the cat wags her tail.

“It doesn't look like it.”

“You fuss too much. Nothing ever happens around here.”

“Just once around? Please?”

“Oh, fine. But you owe me!”

“Mr. Mayor!” Sonny waves from the fields.

“What now…” Zeroh mumbles.

“Mr. Mayor!” The scarecrow waves even more enthusiastically. “I got a new tie! Do you like it? It’s a really nice tie, right?” The tie in question was big, and loud, and nearly identical to all the other ties Sonny owns.

“It looks fine,” Zeroh yells back. “Just, stop slouching and go back to scaring those crows away!” Sonny partakes in what Zeroh assumes to be some kind of happy dance. Was he even listening?

“Maribelle! Are you in here?” The smoke is so thick in the kitchen, Zeroh can’t see a thing. But they can hear coughing. “Maribelle?”

“I’m okay! Just need too..” with a grunt she opens the window and the smoke starts to clear out.

“What happened?”

“What? Oh, nothing! Nothing at all! Don't you have something more important to do?” With that, she pushes Zeroh out of the house and into the path of the one person in town that Zeroh had been avoiding.

“There you are!”

“Skelly! What a coincidence! I, um, I was just about to have a very important meeting with Harold. We’ll catch up later, yeah?”

“Oh, perfectly fine. We will just talk on the way there. Do not worry, I can talk fast.”

“Oh… great…!” Zeroh hopes that their smile isn't too obviously fake.

“I know it seems like there is a lot to do, and really there is, but if you would just follow my list we will get it done in no time! Now, it you would refer to section B… You do still have the list, correct?”

“Yeah… it's…”

“I have an extra copy.” They hand Zeroh what amounts to a small book.

“Thanks…”

“Now. Oh, we are here! I will only be another second. Section B, the costumes. They are overdue. And we need these supplies. Here is a map. Please do not get lost.”

Zeroh glances at the bundle of papers. This would be a lot easier if Skelly had somewhat legible handwriting.

“Hello there!” Harold calls from the porch.

“Getting some fresh air?”

“Aye, I had hoped it would calm my mind a bit.”

“But no luck?”

“No luck.” Harold lets out a deep sigh.

“Well, maybe you could try…” Breathing? How does a disembodied head even breathe...? “You could… I’ll think of something, I promise!”

--

(non story portion to be posted in the morning)

• Like 2

(and my in the morning, I obviously meant a couple days later >_< )

Week One (con't)

Page One: The Zombie, 83% (A Rank)

On paper, I did a great job counting calories and grams of protein. In reality, yeah. And it does not help that I've actually gained weight since week zero. *commence hair pulling*

Page Two: The Witch-in-Training, 86% (A Rank)

I only missed one day, Saturday. So this is pretty good. I just wasn't feeling Saturday. Though, I think having options helps as well. And if it had been a bit less busy at work, I think I could of squeezed it in. I also finished the Vegetarian Sports Nutrition book in record time, so yay.

Page Three: The Headless Horseman's Head, 71% (B Rank)

I just, keep forgetting! *sigh* During week one, I missed two days. Which I suppose isn't too bad considering I haven't meditated in pretty much a year.

Page Four: The Black Cat, 100% (A+ Rank)

Perfect score! (I also just made up the A+ rank). Daily exercising isn't nearly as bad as I thought. Granted I've been going through a program that is meant to be done daily. As far as water intake, judging how well hydrated I am whenever I go to the bathroom is so much easier than counting how much water I've had!

Page Five: The Scarecrow, 86% (A Rank)

I missed one day with posture, and one day with appearance. Not too bad.

Page Six: The Skeleton, 42% (C Rank)

Ouch. I missed chores on two days. And I missed the weekly assignment: figuring a possible costume out. :/

Bonuses (+12)

Adding 5 additional points to the week for the story and this post.

Penalties (0)

This is pretty awesome!

Ranks

Weekly: 60 points, 97%, A rank

Challenge (as of the end of week one): 63 points, 23.3%, D rank

• Like 1

AWESOME job on tying up week 1!!  Try not to let the weight thing get you down.  The scale can be SO fluctuant and just flat out frustrating!!

Me: *has a flawless workout and nutrition week*

Also me: *up 3lbs*

>:( GRRRRR

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

10 minutes ago, shaar said:

AWESOME job on tying up week 1!!  Try not to let the weight thing get you down.  The scale can be SO fluctuant and just flat out frustrating!!

Me: *has a flawless workout and nutrition week*

Also me: *up 3lbs*

>:( GRRRRR

Yeah, I try to restrict myself on how often I weigh and measure myself. But at the same time it makes it harder to know if that particular day was just a fluke/outlier, or part of the general trend. But with two weeks of going up, I settled on "I might be doing something wrong." I assume some of the increase is muscle, because I definitely feel more toned (under the fat), but it's probably more fat there too. But I think a large chunk of it is water weight, or something, because fat and muscle don't change that much, that fast. (Gained 3 pounds each week, then did a double check two days after the second one, and lost 1.5, what? :/ For reference, I'm 5'3", 128lbs, and apx 26% BF.)

• Like 1

It's been awhile since I've done a daily update. I really need to be less lazy in the morning.

Friday, October 7

Page One: The Zombie (+1)

I got a point for trying to be mindful of my food choices, but I missed out on eating the food mindfully.

Page Two: The Witch-in-Training (+1)

I spent a bit of time researching, trying to make sense of what different vitimans are used for in the body. I think I need to make flash cards.

Page Three: The Headless Horseman's Head (+1)

I meditated, yay. I've been really bad at it this week. :/

Page Four: The Black Cat (+2)

I completed day four of darebee's fighter codex. It was a stretching routine. Which was great because I was super sore. I also was fairly mindful of my water/juice/flavored water consumption.

Page Five: The Scarecrow (+2)

I did a decent job on appearance and posture.

Page Six: The Skeleton (0)

I didn't do any chores, nor have I had time to work on any Halloween prep. :(

Bonuses (+1)

Update.

Penalties (0)

I somehow avoided candy. (I've had 2 candy bars this week.)

Ranks

Daily: 8 points, 89%, A rank

Weekly: 38 points, 58%, C rank

Challenge: 101 points, 37.4%, D rank

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Nutritional flashcards...I love this idea. I'm actually a flashcard enthusiast. I will make them whenever! When I got a new job there was a ton of info to learn and I secretly (I didn't want people to know how nerdy I was) made flashcards and practiced on my days off :P 

Ok this sounds HELLA FUN :D:D

• Like 2

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

»  kom starkru

1 hour ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Nutritional flashcards...I love this idea. I'm actually a flashcard enthusiast. I will make them whenever! When I got a new job there was a ton of info to learn and I secretly (I didn't want people to know how nerdy I was) made flashcards and practiced on my days off :P 

That's essentially what they'd be for. Except it's for a job that I may or may not get but I really want to get. And I won't know till November at the earliest, and the new location might not even open till next year. 

The juice bar has several different juices that are good for different ailments, and part of the job would be recognizing the customer's needs and making suggestions. Coming down with a cold? Try this! Super sore from your workout? Give this one a shot! To really understand it, I think it would be super helpful to be familiar with vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and phytochemicals.

• Like 3

I would like to share with you all the stupidity I encounter in my job (concessions at a university).

Yesterday was my first day back after the football game. I had to inspect the concession stands in the stadium, before going to the arena to work the volleyball game. In the stadium, there are four stands, two on each side, along with a fryer station on each side.

The North Side, not bad. A few things weren't put back in the correct places. Needs a little organising, again. Though it should be noted that I was on that side during the game. 

Now the South side... Let's build up to the BIG mistake. There were lots of little things. Dirty dishes that didn't make it back to get cleaned. Dirty foil pans that didn't make it to the trash. A block of sliced cheese that I think someone tried to wrap in foil. Or at least there was a piece of foil next to it, that may have at one point been on one of the ends. There was a full half-tray of crab cakes that were put in the fridge that were supposed to go back to catering. Or at the very least put in the freezer. And the stands were just not that clean. But at least I didn't find any rotting food.

Before all that, I stopped at the fryer station for the South Side (it's on the way to the stands). This fryer station has three large deep fryers hooked up to large propane tanks, plus two grills also hooked up to propane. Plus two extra tanks. So there are a total of seven large propane tanks in a corner. Remember that number because it will help you understand the magnitude of what could have happened, worst case scenario.

First thing, all of the fryer covers had blown off. Pretty typical, but annoying because putting them on correctly so they don't fly off isn't that hard. As I go to cover them back up, I hear that the pilot is still on. Not a big deal, but one of my pet peeves. These fryers are not going to be used for two weeks! You're wasting propane! I turn the pilot off on fryer #1.

I open the door to fryer #2. The pilot switch is on, but it's not on...? Then I notice that the thermostat is still set to almost 400 F. Wait, what? Oh, someone must have left it on and used up all the propane. And they had it on the wrong temp, it's supposed to be 350. Well, yes, but... it also means that someone covered the fryer while it was still on. Closer inspection, the stickers on the inside of the door are even more melted than before, and there is a good amount of soot in there. And the box that houses the pressure switch is partially melted. And who knows what kind of damage there is to the wiring. What would have happened if the fryer cover hadn't blown off? Or if there was a bit more propane in the tank? I've seen first hand what happens when that pressure switch (and various wiring that connects to things like the temperature sensor) fails. That time, I was there to turn it off before the whole thing caught on fire. This time? There was no one. What kind of crater would there be if, worst case, the cover caught on fire (fire resistant does not equal fire proof) or the oil reached its fire point after various fail-safes, well, failed? And then the fire traveled the hose to the propane? Yeah...

But wait, there's more! (Just no where near as dramatic.) I went to the arena to start cooking for volleyball, and what is missing from the kitchen? The trash can. One of those really big 30 gallon trash cans. It's also super grungy. Well, time to hunt down a trash can. Thankfully, it was in the first place I look. Then later, on my way back to the stand I'm using, I notice something missing from the other stand. One guess what it is. Yep, the trash can. I guess it's trash can hunting season. This one was in the last place that I looked.

What a fun day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Good grief. Is there a manager you can report this to because that's worse than laziness, that's a pretty serious issue to address :(

I reported the fryer thing to my manager, and told him to have maintenance check it for any serious damage. I have my doubts that anyone will get in trouble for it though.

• Like 1

Wow.  Holy work incompetence.  That would set my head on fire, maybe literally if the propane hadn't been noticed...

»  kom starkru

I feel like I've been neglecting my poor little thread (and my challenge a little bit).

The last couple of weeks have been a bit up and down. Emotion wise, eating wise, stress wise, energy wise. And its just getting harder and harder to focus on just one thing.

• Like 3

All of the hugs.  I feel like this is me lately, too, especially this weekend into today.  We will do our best to keep making small steps forward, yes? <3 :)

• Like 2

»  kom starkru

On 10/6/2016 at 0:21 PM, zeroh13 said:

Yeah, I try to restrict myself on how often I weigh and measure myself. But at the same time it makes it harder to know if that particular day was just a fluke/outlier, or part of the general trend.

This is just my opinion, and I think lots of people disagree with me. I weight myself several times a week for exactly the reason you mention. I think it's really helpful to know how much you fluctuate from day-to-day. I can easily vary by 5 lbs within a week, and I'm aiming at a calorie deficit that would allow me to theoretically lose 1 lb per week. I know this is kind of oversimplifying, but that would mean it takes 5 weeks before the signal is as big as the noise. I think frequent weighing is good if you can take it kind of objectively as "data" without getting too emotionally attached to the daily gains and losses. Measurements take longer and change more slowly, so I could see doing that less frequently.

On 10/16/2016 at 7:00 PM, zeroh13 said:

I feel like I've been neglecting my poor little thread (and my challenge a little bit).

The last couple of weeks have been a bit up and down. Emotion wise, eating wise, stress wise, energy wise. And its just getting harder and harder to focus on just one thing.

So sorry it has been rough!

I'm really proud of you for catching the very dangerous situation with the deep fryers. I hope your manager was really appreciative (and scared).

Honestly...the situation is really annoying and frustrating. But, wow, step back a bit. You did something really amazing by being careful and responsible. You prevented what could have been truly tragic.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

This is going to be really short, and then hopefully I'll write something tomorrow to tie up the story.

This challenge was a bit bumpy for me. Though this month has been a bit bumpy for me in general. The two most important things for me right now (ADHD meds & possible new job) turned into we'll "get back to you in early November". Plus there were issues with food stamps, so this whole month until a few days ago we haven't been able to afford much more than pasta and sauce. Thankfully, I am surrounded by food at my job. But most of it is in the form of junk food. And most days I've just ended up skipping dinner (or calling a candy bar dinner). Sometimes breakfast too. :/ I know my brain is just using this as a stupid excuse to simply not eat (plenty of pasta and frozen veggies that I could cook), but I just don't have the energy to fight it right now. 

Also! I'm kind of scared of eating salad right now. Last week I was eating a salad that I made at the salad bar (macaroni salad with hard boiled eggs, mixed leafy greens, carrot, shredded cheese, and maybe a couple other things) leftover from the previous day's lunch, and my tongue started going kind of tingly/numb. Kind of like after you've gone to the dentist for fillings and the numbing stuff is wearing off. Needless to say, that freaked me out. And then my throat felt a little tight, but it's hard to tell if that was from the food or the anxiety. I took a dose of my regular 24hr allergy meds when it happened, mostly because it was better than just waiting. I have never had food allergies (just regular old seasonal allergies). And only a minor sensitivity to milk (and very rarely cheese if I eat a ton of it), but nothing that ever felt like this. Obviously I'm ok now. But that was still weird. I've made that same salad multiple times. And nothing like that ever happened.

Challenge-wise, overall I did okay. I passed with a B rank. Somehow.

Page 1: B rank

Page 2: B rank

Page 3: C rank

Page 4: A rank (earned water bottle)

Page 5: B rank

Page 6: C rank

So my best score was in exercising/stretching & hydration. My worst score was in mediation/reflection, followed by chores.

Next challenge, I'm aiming for very simple. But I'm not sure what guild I'll set up my tent in.

I know one of the goals is going to be writing for NaNoWriMo. Fitness wise, I want to keep working towards pull-ups. Except I only have access to a bar once or twice a week (on my days off). Maybe start working towards handstands. And keep doing bodyweight workouts. But I'm considering also starting C25K (well, the 5k trainer app). I like jogging, but I'm very much a beginner. I'm also interested in doing a virtual race, but I haven't signed up for anything yet (money is super tight right now). And I'd like to go hiking somewhere, though my choices for that are pretty limited.

Sorry if this is all a bit disjointed. I just finished a 10 hour shift where I was outside all day. Fall has definitely arrived. The last couple days it felt like summer was trying to come back. Then it rained yesterday afternoon, which quickly cooled things down. And today was chilly and super windy. And there were leaves everywhere. Deep fried leaf anyone?

• Like 1