• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hyrulian Yogi

[Hyrulian Yogi] A Cactus Needs A Strong Heart

tumblr_non9ggIvFa1s9yicao2_250.jpg

Have you ever been in a breakup and realized that the amount of self-love you have for yourself is simply not enough? I am at the moment exiting a relationship, not a long one, mind you, but it made me realize that changes need to be made. 

I have been dubbed a cactus by many of my friends, therefore the name of the challenge. Through my yoga practice, through lifting weights and taking care of my body, mind and soul, I want to build a whole new, stronger than ever, heart. 

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week)

Two studio practices, one at-home practice. As well as the one class I teach every monday morning. =) 

WEIGHTS - Stronger than ever. (2x a week)

Getting to a 100lbs x 5 Squat would be lovely and empowering at the same time. 

I will lift twice a week with emphasis on legs. 

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day)

Drink 2.5L a day to flush-out more toxins. It helps me feel great too, obviously! 

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily)

Everyday I shuffle my tarot cards and pick-out a card in the morning, in the same notebook I want to write positive affirmations everyday. The focus will be mostly on abundance and self-love. 

I am looking forward to meeting some fellow Druids. Love and light, xx

• Like 6

Grading System: 

[Week 1] 1 point. (Oopsi)

[Week 2] 0 points... Okay, haha.

[Week 3]

[Week 4]

For this challenge, I will keep an all-or-nothing mindset. If I execute 100%, I will award myself one point for a total of 4 points per week. If I get 16 points, I will buy a new yoga outfit which is something I haven't splurged on in a while and a new crystal for my room. If I get from 10 to 15 points, I will buy a crystal, simply because the good vibes are always welcomed in the house. Anything less than that won't grant me a reward. =) 

• Like 3

This is a fantastic challenge. I also like that you're grading system is consistent with the challenge - pure positive reinforcement.

23 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

Have you ever been in a breakup and realized that the amount of self-love you have for yourself is simply not enough? I am at the moment exiting a relationship, not a long one, mind you, but it made me realize that changes need to be made. 

I think one problem with gaining self esteem based on a romantic relationship is that those tend to end more often than not. Even marriages have a low success rate. Not to be negative here, I just want to make a suggestion. If you need external reinforcement to feel good about yourself (most people do), maybe try cultivating friendships and family relationships. Those are less likely to sweep the mat out from under you and can be long-lasting sources of mental health.

Good luck!

20 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Great challenge - I love, love, love your categories!  Good luck! :D

Have you decided which crystal you'll get, or is it likely to be more of an intuitive choice?

Thank you so much! I'm glad that you like the categories. :D 

As for the crystal, there's a shop not too far from where I live and I definitely will go with my intuition and pick the crystal that calls me the most, eheh. I guess that was an obvious answer, right? ;P 

1 hour ago, Tziganette said:

This is a fantastic challenge. I also like that you're grading system is consistent with the challenge - pure positive reinforcement.

I think one problem with gaining self esteem based on a romantic relationship is that those tend to end more often than not. Even marriages have a low success rate. Not to be negative here, I just want to make a suggestion. If you need external reinforcement to feel good about yourself (most people do), maybe try cultivating friendships and family relationships. Those are less likely to sweep the mat out from under you and can be long-lasting sources of mental health.

Good luck!

Thank you so much my barmaid friend!

I guess I didn't explain my situation well. The guy broke up with me and as I am back to being single, I'm realizing that I'm lacking in self-love, self-esteem, a lot. I've been using validation from men as an ego booster and it's not sufficient for me anymore. I really, truly, want to love myself. It starts from building confidence but also from letting go of the past a lot. It will probably take more than a month but I'm starting here. 

I 100% agree with what you said, though. Cultivating strong friendships and family bonds is very important for mental health! =)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Varelse said:

You have very doable goals, I'm sure that achieving them could help you feel more secure of yourself.

Cactus are lovely.

Thank you, and I very much agree that cactus are lovely plants. :) 

• Like 1

I saw a tiny old man sell some cactus on a street the other day and it made me smile so much. My house definitely needs the addition of one! 

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 0/3

I teached my class this morning and it had such a lovely vibe. It was 6 women, 4 of them had been to a class before so they came back. It made me so happy. I got tattooed on the ankle Saturday so my practice might only pick-up on Tuesday, haha. It's a little painful to do any balancing poses at the moment. 

WEIGHTS - Stronger than ever. (2x a week) 0/2

I'm aiming to lift Thursday and Saturday! 

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day) 1/7

I'm at 44oz on the 90oz that constitute 2.5L, I will definitely edit with the final result later tonight when I'm back from my second shift. 

96oz/90oz

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 1/7

Positive affirmations were done. The one phrase that stuck with me today is this one: I love and approve of myself.

A positive cactus is a happy cactus. :) I hope you all had a beautiful start of the week!   

• Like 3

The cool thing about a cactus is that it can survive – thrive, even – in some of the most difficult conditions imaginable. Self love can be hard, but it sounds like you're on a good path. Also, I'm impressed that you teach yoga. That's really valuable.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2016 at 9:13 PM, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

The Jedi Path

Ohhhh I never heard of that book! Is it fiction?

On 26/09/2016 at 11:32 PM, SaltyDragon said:

The cool thing about a cactus is that it can survive – thrive, even – in some of the most difficult conditions imaginable. Self love can be hard, but it sounds like you're on a good path. Also, I'm impressed that you teach yoga. That's really valuable.

That is so beautiful, thank you. I truly find that teaching yoga is a blessing. It brings me tremendous joy to help people relax and feel better. I hope that through my own practice I can find healing as well. :-) 

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 1/3

Power Flow was my pratice today at the studio. 60 minutes of intense yoga. I'm normally more inclined towards Hatha because I find it more relaxing, but I enjoyed the class. I've probably never sweat so much during yoga in my entire life, haha. I think I sweated the last remains of my flu. :'D

I'm still aiming to lift on Thursday and Saturday morning! 

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day) 2/7

I'm using the app Plant Nanny, which is literally so cute, to track my water intake. I'm currently at 42oz of 90oz but it's still pretty early in the day!

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 2/7

After the yoga class, I stayed at the studio to drink an herbal tea and write down my positive affirmations. 

I forgive those who have harmed me in my past and peacefully detach from them. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Draegon (Liam P Boyle) said:

"The Jedi Path" is a fictional work that shows an actual training manual for Jedi from the star wars universe with annotations by several major cannon characters.

Sent from the dragon's lair

Oh that sounds so awesome! I'll have to give it a read once I'm done with the book I'm currently reading. :P 

8 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

60 minutes of intense yoga.... I've probably never sweat so much during yoga in my entire life, haha. I think I sweated the last remains of my flu. :'D

Always love a good sweat!

8 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

I forgive those who have harmed me in my past and peacefully detach from them.

This is so hard – props if you can do it. The detach-ing part I can do no problem... the forgiving part – that's not easy. (Maybe I need some of that tea?)

On 9/27/2016 at 11:01 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Always love a good sweat!

This is so hard – props if you can do it. The detach-ing part I can do no problem... the forgiving part – that's not easy. (Maybe I need some of that tea?)

I'm not one for ''hot yoga'' but my body definitely needed the sweat. Afterwards, it felt amazing. During the class was another thing haha. 

I understand totally. It's been so difficult for me to forgive certain people, I'm really working hard on this. Writing this down everyday. Hopefully, one day I will be at peace completely with this, you know. 

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 1/3

I'm following a class tonight called Self-Awakening Flow, the description really spoke to me and I'm looking forward to trying this. This studio close to my home offered a 35$ coupon for unlimited yoga for a month so I'll definitely try a few of their classes before it expires! :-)

Edit: Didn't end up going. Ladies, you'll understand me, my TOM hit me like a tornado and all I could manage was to go buy groceries (including a bag of chips) and headed home under my blanket and some Arrested Development. Sunday yoga will have to be a thing now! Really sad I missed that class tonight, it seemed amazing. :( 

I'm still aiming to lift on Thursday and Saturday morning! 

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day) 3/7

My plant only needs 4 more cups of water for the day. I'm on track! 

Edit: 104oz/90oz woot woot!

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 3/7

Did my positive affirmations at my desk this morning. Everyone seemed in a great mood at the office so maybe the good vibes are spreading a little. ;P The affirmation that stuck with me today is:

I am worthy of the highest and best I can imagine. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

I'm not one for ''hot yoga'' but my body definitely needed the sweat.

Unrelated ramble: there is a hot yoga studio one door away from a small breakfast-and-lunch chain restaurant near where I live. The yoga patrons come out with their mats rolled under their arms, completely drenched in sweat (the men often don't even bother putting shirts on). Meanwhile, people shaped like me are going into the restaurant to get their carb on. Both sides looking at each other like, "how can you DO that to yourself?!"  So much judging. :P

My condolences on your difficulties with Aunt Flo visiting. When mine hits, I'm flattened for a week. Hard to get any momentum going when I'm sidelined every fourth week. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Unrelated ramble: there is a hot yoga studio one door away from a small breakfast-and-lunch chain restaurant near where I live. The yoga patrons come out with their mats rolled under their arms, completely drenched in sweat (the men often don't even bother putting shirts on). Meanwhile, people shaped like me are going into the restaurant to get their carb on. Both sides looking at each other like, "how can you DO that to yourself?!"  So much judging. :P

My condolences on your difficulties with Aunt Flo visiting. When mine hits, I'm flattened for a week. Hard to get any momentum going when I'm sidelined every fourth week. 

It seems to happen quite often that yoga studios find themselves close to brunch restaurants or junk food chains. I mean, I wouldn't be the yogi who judge the carb-loving brunch goers, I'd probably go to brunch right after my hot yoga session, haha. :P 

Yeah... Being a woman isn't easy sometimes. Some months I'll have tons of energy still and some months I won't be able to move at all, inflicted with terrible pain. Gosh, Aunt Flo, why don't you bring nicer gifts. 

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 2/3

Got to work before everyone, took my mat in the studio and did the Let It Go Flow by Yoga With Adriene. A short 19 mins sequence but it went smoothly. 

Lifts didn't happen this morning. I got at the front of the gym around 7:50, I would have had 30 mins to warm-up, lift, stretch and leave for work. Yeah. Friday and Sunday will be lift days? 

I will edit later with the results of this, as of now I've only had a pumpkin soy latte in my body. Sugar and caffeine, a deathly mix haha. 

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 4/7

Wrote down my affirmations, shuffled my tarot pack to pick-out my daily card. The Wheel of Fortune. Again. I swear my life is all over the place at the moment. 

Have a great day everyone, keep the momentum going!

• Like 4

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 3/3

I was too tired after work and watching the new Tim Burton film, so I slept in a little bit. Ended up doing the Yoga For Mood Swings sequence, as nobody had arrived at work and my yoga mat is still hiding in the back studio. It's not an easy day today. I'm overly emotional and all-around just feeling blah. Yoga helped and I felt good the entire time, but a few hours later and I'm back to feeling sad. Oh well. I'll just allow these emotions to be. It is what it is. 

Saturday will be a legs day and Sunday an upper body. Gots to be, otherwise it won't get done. Gah!

I didn't get my full 90oz yesterday. :( I'm aiming to do better today, hopefully. 

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 5/7

About to finish writing them down. I hope being busy at work later today will help switch my focus to something else, I'll keep repeating a positive affirmation in my head if I can't shake the sadness away. Gosh, I sound so depressing. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

I hope your weekend has been good. I like how you're able to just have your emotions and be OK with that until they pass. That seems really wise.

Thank you! The weekend has been fun, busy, maybe a little too full of alcohol... but I don't drink often so I won't be too harsh on myself.

As for the emotions, I only started being more calm about it when I did my yoga teacher training. Meditation has been great for this, looking at the emotion from a different point of view and almost dissect it mentally... I'm not 100% at peace with this yet, sometimes I'll wish for sadness to go away faster but I'm better than I was and that's what counts. :-) 

46 minutes ago, Tziganette said:

Hey Hyrulian, sorry your week didn't end on a high note. I hope things are going better.

What is your new tattoo?

I'm doing better, thank you! I don't know why I was in such a funk but it has passed, thankfully! My new tattoo is an ode to childhood memories and me loving cartoon pizza too much. Not the most meaningful tattoo I have but I love it, haha. Sorry for terrible lighting! 

Spoiler

tumblr_oe1emy6Wjc1qhf8eco1_500.jpg

Week 1

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 3/3

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day) 4/7

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 5/7

Week 2

YOGA - Bend, don't break. (3x a week) 0/3

I had a feeling when I woke up today that my class would be empty. I ended up having two students, so slightly better than anticipated. It was good, as it always is. I love teaching so much. :-) I'm registered for a Yin Yoga class tomorrow night, super excited about trying this out! Apparently it's a really good practice to release tension in the muscles. 

So I didn't end up lifting at all last week. I kept finding excuses (flu, tiredness, etc. etc.) but this week I'm really set on getting those weights on my back. I miss it. Plus I created a new playlist for the gym so that's always exciting. :P 

BODY/MIND - Heal. (2.5L of water/day) 0/7

I've noticed that when I do double-shifts, I tend to not drink enough. I'll try to fix that issue this week!

SOUL - You are what you think. (Positive Affirmations daily) 1/7

Glad to be back at it! I didn't do my positive affirmations this weekend and missed it dearly. 

• Like 4