• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Infinity.Creates

Juice Bar (come talk!)

Welcome to the new Challenge!

Stellakin and I decided that there was a lack of anywhere that we Rebels could gather together, so we decided to resurrect the Juice Bar. 

Anything belongs in this thread, any question, encouragment, motivation, adorable gif, etc. Feel free to make yourselves comfortable here as we approach the middle of Week 0, and begin gearing up for the Challenge! 

We're glad to see you here and begin this new start together! :D

Image result for welcome gif

• Like 6

welcome-to-the-club-gif.gif

Yup! Feel free to chat away to your heart's content; whether it's to share your ideas about your challenge,

to get to know one another, to talk about your day - or even just to "talk nerdy" ;) 

Cant wait for the challenge to start! 

• Like 2

Hey! Thanks for creating a place for everyone to chat during the 4 week challenge! I just joined and I'm thinking of participating in the 4 week challenge, but I haven't decided on my goals.

One thing I'm trying to work on is coming up with loot drops for when I compete challenges. I'm having a difficult time coming up with rewards that are not consumables (food, alcohol, tobacco - I recently quit smoking). What does everyone here do to reward themselves when they finish a quest or a 4 week challenge?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, jessleigh said:

Hey! Thanks for creating a place for everyone to chat during the 4 week challenge! I just joined and I'm thinking of participating in the 4 week challenge, but I haven't decided on my goals.

One thing I'm trying to work on is coming up with loot drops for when I compete challenges. I'm having a difficult time coming up with rewards that are not consumables (food, alcohol, tobacco - I recently quit smoking). What does everyone here do to reward themselves when they finish a quest or a 4 week challenge?

Welcome! I hope you do indeed participate in the 4 week challenge! You will be in good company :) I always have a hard time coming up with rewards too. My big thing is I'm kind of broke so I don't have a ton of money to spend on rewards. I always tend to fall back on bubble baths. They are free (as long as you already have bubbles), relaxing, and feel like I'm pampering myself. (I may also light a candle or two and read a good book ;) ) Speaking of which I love to also reward myself with used books! If I had more money I'd probably also buy new workout clothes, funko pops, movies/music etc. So there are a few  ideas for non food related rewards. Hope you find some way to reward yourself! You totally deserve it, even for just deciding to sign up (and for quitting smoking!!! woohoo!). I may have rewarded myself with the "Level Up Your Life" book before the challenge started :D  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jessleigh said:

What does everyone here do to reward themselves when they finish a quest or a 4 week challenge?

That's a good question. I think I'll do a Salsa course. I did one some years ago, but never had the chance to dance more often.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jessleigh said:

Good question! For me, I try to hold out on a game or book I'd love and use that as a little reward; almost akin to how when you complete a quest in Skyrim you might get a unique weapon? Another thing that works (if you've just been paid, or your wallet will allow it) is a massage once in a while; that's a good way to finish off a particularly great 4wc! Going to go ahead and second @Rosie's Riveter on the bubble bath idea! If you want something even more special you could even get some nice bath bombs ready; I get some from Lush as a treat sometimes; you could have one a week (assuming you successfully completed each week ;)) totalling under £10

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jessleigh said:

Feel free to nose around and take inspiration from others! Here are some of the recommended beginners quest, but you can choose to completely disregard them and do something a lot smaller or with a different focus. You can choose to do a challenge with only one Quest if you want! 

As for goals, it's recommended that its something that you will use and enjoy, but it is an unnecessary luxury. For me, when I loose an amount of weight I'm going to buy myself a new nerdy fitness top. I'm currently budgeting towards it so I can afford it when I surpass my goal. But for a shorter term, the ideas above are really good! Take a holiday somewhere near your residence and explore for the day. Or stay at home and do something relaxing!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stellakin said:

I don't know about you guys but this challenge has me feeling like

Legolas-Sweats-Nervously-In-Lord-Of-The-Rings-Gif.gif

I am so with you on this. I have written, rewritten and started completely over on all my quest ideas. I just have so many things I want to work on that I'm starting to overwhelm myself before I even get started. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

I am so with you on this. I have written, rewritten and started completely over on all my quest ideas. I just have so many things I want to work on that I'm starting to overwhelm myself before I even get started. 

100% me. But once I've posted them, I promise I won't change them. Instead, I'll put any future ideas into my battle log and then work on them during a future challenge. The Rebellion is a life long goal, don't try to do everything now! Savour each conquest as you level up!

Honestly, looking at what you have so far, and with the Academy, it looks really good yet still challenging. Stick with it and then change it up at the end of the four weeks, when you can make a definite decision as to what you enjoyed and what you want to change/add.

• Like 3

Regarding goals: if you're getting nervous sweats just thinking about it, you are overthinking it and putting waaaaay too much pressure on yourself! *sisterly hug* Take a deep breath and relax. Now that you're a little calmer, pick two or three (small, tiny) things that you want to focus on for a few weeks. The tinier the change, the more likely you are to follow through on it and make it stick. Tiny changes lead to big results over time.

I know, I know...."BUT I WANT TO FIX ALL THE THINGS! NOWWW!" It's ok, we all feel that way. Just remember, whatever it is you want to improve, it took a while to get to this point and it's going to take a while to get back the way you want. Baby steps, baby.

Still not sure where to start? Focus on foundation habits. As Gretchen Rubin puts it in Better than Before, building new habits is really hard work so you might as well put your effort into something that will pay off big. The "foundation habits" are food, exercise, and sleep. Eating well, exercising, and getting good sleep are the basics that will improve our overall quality of living.

And good luck to everyone!

• Like 9

1000% what @Bookish Badger said.  I've stopped\started more times than I remember.  Heck - I've started\stopped\abandoned challenges here several times over the year (or 2, or more - I'm actually scared to look at the moment) since I found NF and tried to do challenges and track here.

The last challenge I went back and looked at a few fundamental things that I need to change.  Like so basic most people probably wouldn't consider them challenges.

The fact that I actually kept up with, reported on and stayed focused on these few key things is a success.  It's the first time I followed through completely with a challenge.  Even though I'm still not 100% on any one thing there - I've improved.  So I've kept (mostly) the same goals with a few tweaks to help me reach the goals I TOTALLY failed on :) And if I'm in the same boat in 4 weeks - by golly I'll do it again until I drill it into my brain.

But if I can develop these small habits - they're a great foundation to build on!  I don't recall if it was someone on NF that made the following statement or somewhere else from someone who'd lost a lot of weight - Everyone thought he was fat because he was lazy.  Once he lost the weight he realized he was lazy because he was fat!  It's exhausting carrying around the extra weight.  It's a vicious cycle. And one I'm desperate to stop.

And in the famous words of Dory - Just keep swimming!  And I intend to do just that!

• Like 5

@Athaclena, I am so sorry but I just had to...

Image result for just keep swimming gif

But in all seriousness, I'm glad you found what worked for you! For me, I tend to make lovely, organized little plans and then completely disregard them, instead screaming at the top of my lungs "FIX ALL THE THINGS" (well, metaphorically, of course). Unsurprisingly, that never really works out well for me, so as much as I'd love to make mounds and mounds of progress with each challenge, I'm going to try and take baby steps and then build up habits overtime, like you said! :) 

• Like 1

Oh yeah - I'm GREAT at making plans.  Like I said - normally I make "good solid goals" - fail by the end of the first week and never report back.

My teeny, tiny goals - I made progress. I'm THINKING about them every day and making progress.  Not on everything, but I'm working on identifying the linchpin behavior that needs to change to get to the habit I really want.

I can want to workout every morning all I want - but if I don't go to bed early enough to drag my butt out of bed - it's simply not going to happen.  Thus my bedtime (and now wakeup) goals.  There was a time when I actually did all of that - but that slid some point over the last - um - 15 years - other than a brief 6 month period when I worked out with a trainer twice a week.  So - change the little things to allow me to get up early will help me reach that goal - not just stating I'm working out every morning.... And those things (go to bed by X so I can get up by Y so I can workout) are staying on my goals until I don't have to even THINK about them any more :)

• Like 5

You, my friend, have some great perspective. I know myself so well by now that you'd think I'd work out not to over-excel myself only to crash and burn, but yet... 

This is one of those posts that I wish I could bookmark somehow, so I could come back to it when trying to make goals - and remind myself that slow and steady wins the race. Going fast and tripping over your own feet by rushing, not so much, haha.

Best of luck on your quest to sort your going-to-sleep and wake-up times! That's a great idea. I mean, after all, waking up on the right foot can give you a different perspective on facing the day; I sure know that if I woke up nice and early, I'd be more likely to exercise than if I just said "yup, going to do that tomorrow" and hoped for a good day. :)  

• Like 1

On September 21, 2016 at 8:16 AM, jessleigh said:

I'm a little late to answer this, but I treat myself with things like cheap jewelry, a new tube of lipstick/small makeup item, a song download on ITunes, plants, just little things that cost less than $10 usually. I'm also throwing money into a tattoo fund. Oh yeah!

Also, congrats on quitting smoking! That's a hard ass thing to do. I tried several times before I quit, but it will be 10 years quit for me this spring! After that I will have been quit as long as I smoked. Yay!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Still not sure where to start? Focus on foundation habits. As Gretchen Rubin puts it in Better than Before, building new habits is really hard work so you might as well put your effort into something that will pay off big. The "foundation habits" are food, exercise, and sleep. Eating well, exercising, and getting good sleep are the basics that will improve our overall quality of living.

And good luck to everyone!

Ah! I was trying to remember the name of that book. It's really good, I highly recommend it to everyone here. You can get it on audible. That's how I get all my reading done.

• Like 1

I thought about treating myself with a new dress. I don't have many dresses, because for a long time I Didn't like my legs and I prefered looking more boyish. Somehow my perspective on things changed and I've been searching for a nice dress or skirt in tartan optic for max 50€. I found one for 49€ I'm considering to buy. It's a little risky to wait for a month, but I guess if I still would like to have it in four weeks, I can savely asume I'll wear it from time to time. And I think dark red is a nice color for autumn.

Bubble baths are really a great idea. Especially in autumn and winter when it gets colder. Somebody mentioned Lush. I like their stuff. But a friend showed me how to do bath bombs by herself. I think you needed Natron, Citron, Cashew butter and thinks that smell nice. For my bathing experience I once also put some flower petals from the garden in the water. But the self made bath bomb was more messy than a bought one. The oil/butter sticked to the surface of my bathtube.

----------------------------

Little goals: It's true. I tended to try all the things at once and got overwhelmed easily. But when I slowly aimed for bigger goals, I could increase the amount of exercise without feeling exhausted all the time. I think that's why I kept going for stat points. I need to visually level up.

-----------------

I wasn't here for some time. Are mini challenges still a thing in the rebels section?

• Like 1