• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Infinity.Creates

Juice Bar (come talk!)

So, Tanktimus gives a weekly encouraging post in the Ranger's Guildhall, and I think its quite relevant to a lot of struggles that we rebels have been having.

Read it, and come back ready to conquer Week 2!

Late coming back to the thread :)

My initial goals are hard to define.  There's so much I used to be able to do and just can't.  So - babysteps.

First is to just be consistent with a workout - with a goal of being up to scheduling and actually doing a 5k.  I can walk one - but I'd like to be able to jog\run one.

I'd also like to be able to do the step back\step up of the basic Sun Salutations again.  That will require strength, balance, flexibility and losing some of my belly fat.  I know this will take a looong time.

I took so much gymnastics\dance growing up (I was a frickin' cheerleader in high school) - it kills me how NOT limber I am.  I also know losing strength, limberness and just sheer weight is what is truly causing all of my aches and pains (ok, maybe not the migraines - but that could also be part of that as well).  I know I'm almost 45, but I swear I feel older - and I'd really like that to change!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Athaclena said:

I know I'm almost 45, but I swear I feel older - and I'd really like that to change!

So much this. I'll be 49 in a few more weeks, but I swear that I am too young to feel as old as I do some days.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 3:11 PM, Athaclena said:

My initial goals are hard to define.  There's so much I used to be able to do and just can't.  So - babysteps.

How are you planning on building back up to doing Yoga? It honestly looks so amazing, but must require so much ability! 

And babysteps are the most important. While Frodo's feet may have been large, his legs were short, and yet all of those small steps took him to Mordor and back. 

2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

How are you planning on building back up to doing Yoga? It honestly looks so amazing, but must require so much ability! 

Daily Burn "True Beginner" - which focuses on mobility, flexibility, stability and strength - for the couch potato.  Slow, gentle movement - but movement to get your heart rate elevated.

I also have some older yoga and "beginner" aerobic DVD's I can go through to help with moving once the True Beginner is too light.  That plus watching what I eat should get some of the belly off - so I'll be able to touch my dang toes again without bending my knees or holding my breath :)

Week 3 is here! Half of the challenge has already passed us by, and the upcoming weeks loom ahead. How are things going? Did Week 3 sneak up on you, or are you completely ontop of your challenge? Did you have to modify anything in your challenge, make it easier/harder, and do you have any advice to share with your fellow rebels?

Image result for future motivation gif

Time seriously flies - and it gets faster every year.  I just can't believe I've kept up reporting for last challenge and into this one for the first time.  And while I certainly haven't bee perfect - I'm making progress!

I added points for tracking at the beginning of week 2 and realize that the truly HARDEST thing for me to change is working out.  I need to come up with concrete plans for those points - and make working out something that is required to make the points (and reward).  I'll have to think on that some.....

12 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Week 3 is here! Half of the challenge has already passed us by, and the upcoming weeks loom ahead. How are things going? Did Week 3 sneak up on you, or are you completely ontop of your challenge? Did you have to modify anything in your challenge, make it easier/harder, and do you have any advice to share with your fellow rebels?

I planned to go to work by bike five times a week. But first I had to lean how to fix my bike, when the chain dropped and also I got sick and didn't want to go by bike, when it was raining hard because of this. So I at least tried to get in some extra walks for aproximately the same distance when I didn't go by bike. That helped to get in more exercise and I think I learned to handle stress better and change plans. Of course I wouldn't rate this a win, if I hadn't been going by bike at all. But it's better to form a plan B and stick to it, than just dropping plan A and not doing anything.

The only fly in the ointment was that I got sick this week and won't be going by bike or take longer walks until it gets better. I can't risk, that this cold is dragging on for long. I read somewhere else that someone was at least doing light stretches, when the circumstances prevented them from doing more intense workouts. So I'll try that out. Somewhere in the basement I should have a book with some warm up and stretches. But for now I'll drink a lot and rest some more. :/ I'm really not good and giving myself enough rest. So this will pose to be a challenge for me in itself.

9 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

But it's better to form a plan B and stick to it, than just dropping plan A and not doing anything.

These are wise words. 

Being adaptable and antifragile and able to handle different challenges and skills life throws at you is important, especially if you manage to complete some variation of what you set out to do. Don't seek perfection but rejoice in every positive change you make.

Sorry about the illness! Waiting and resting it out is always the best. Make sure you're getting lots of sleep and warm drinks, especially in this encroaching winter weather. Your body needs the energy to mend itself, rather than attempting to loose the fat or build muscle, because your body is also going to fight that, and then will not get better.

Plan B is ALWAYS better than Plan D - None of the Above (which has been my workout default).

I think I'm coming down with Hubby's cold myself.  So I hope we both feel better :).  And a cold doesn't stop me from stretching - so I need to at least do that.  Maybe it'll help with the inevitable muscle aches....

I went to the doctor. He said my cold was already getting better, but he called me sick because of the current sesitivity against loud background noises. Unfortunately I can't avoid it at work. So I have get the rest, although I'm feeling better when I'm in my quiet home.

*sigh* I'm really annoyed. But I already felt really uncomfortable in the doctors waiting room, so I guess I have to admit the doctor is right.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same thoughts I do when I think about where I'll be when I do all of my quests and make myself better:

I think on it, a thin and muscular me that can talk to people, has a significant other, has energy, makes good money, and has actual skills to show off and it just feels like this future me is... Unfathomable, I suppose? Like I have no frame of reference for how that would be, like trying to think of what it's like inside a black hole.

I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly. It's not causing me to think it's impossible or anything negative like that, I just seem to find it hard to imagine myself in the future and think, "Yep, that's me!"

1 hour ago, Socksy said:

I'm not sure if I'm describing it correctly. It's not causing me to think it's impossible or anything negative like that, I just seem to find it hard to imagine myself in the future and think, "Yep, that's me!"

I know what u mean. I try to stop myself from procrastinating. Did every work always just one day before I had to deliver it. I want to change this :)

Hey everyone!

I've been tossing some ideas around in my own head for next challenge, and I am going to be running the Juice Bar next challenge for the rebels again.

But, I was wondering, would any of you have liked to have a minichallenge here? Or would that have been too confusing? Would it have helped communication and helping each other? Do you have any ideas if we were to run a mini challenge?

8 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Hey everyone!

I've been tossing some ideas around in my own head for next challenge, and I am going to be running the Juice Bar next challenge for the rebels again.

But, I was wondering, would any of you have liked to have a minichallenge here? Or would that have been too confusing? Would it have helped communication and helping each other? Do you have any ideas if we were to run a mini challenge?

Could you tell me what a minichallenge consists of? I've read people comment on them, but haven't actually seen one.

And you are so good about checking in on folks. How are you doing - challenge- and otherwise?

16 hours ago, Mahalak said:

Could you tell me what a minichallenge consists of? I've read people comment on them, but haven't actually seen one.

And you are so good about checking in on folks. How are you doing - challenge- and otherwise?

It tends to be a challenge that a Guild Leader has made for the guild, but we don't have an active one. They are little challenge that take place over the course of the main challenge, often one per week. There are different types, like one where the whole guild comes together to defeat a monster, or where the guild is split to combat each other. 

For each minichallenge, there are four quests, and this will involve different feats, like trying a new recipe or lifting a certain amount of weight, or other tasks. The Rebels might be gaining experience when they follow two people's challenge threads.

One challenge with doing it with the rebels is that we are small, and what sort of incentive would be best? They used to give starting stats, but that isn't supported any more. 

And thank you! I'm doing all right, struggling a bit with working out over the past week or so, but I'm going on a hike this weekend, and will be starting a diet to try and loose some weight by Christmas! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Akari said:

A bigger problem is to find someone who has the time to manage the mini challenge. 

This is usually a problem.  Because - life :)  I know I couldn't facilitate it - even if I wanted to (I mean - I WOULD - but work is INSANE right now) - Maybe we can share and have a different facilitator each week?  I could do a week I know I'm working from home (for instance).

Some mini challenges would be good to get people involved in coming back to this thread.  Since we're really "multi-class" here - maybe we can do a "diet" challenge one week and the participants define what THEIR diet challenge is and track it - etc.

Just throwing ideas out for the next challenge.  I can't believe I've kept track all the way through this one (and since I started the last on).  I need to keep on truckin' with you guys!

5 hours ago, Akari said:

How about you? :D

:P

I don't mind, but splitting it up would probably make things easier. I was thinking that we could just set up a spreadsheet and have people complete tasks? Though having one person running each week with their own tasks would be great. One unified scoring system could be made, and if anyone was up for helping as well, I would happy to run it with you next time!

Week 0 would probably be about how to form SMART challenges. And then possibly something to do with following and supporting your fellow guildies and then something forum based (eg how to make a signature). Making a diet challenge sounds really good, and we can try to somehow let people customise them a bit (as we - as you said - very multiclass.

SMART challenges would be a great start I think, since a lot of the times people don't stick with these things - diets, exercise, their own well-being and health in general - because they have Resolutionitis and go about saying "I'mma lose ALL THE WEIGHT this year!" and it's just downhill from there.

• Like 1