RisenPhoenix is a Rucking Moron

RisenPhoenix

I noticed your typo, I just found it amusing and didn't say anything.

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

18 hours ago, Kishi said:

See, I read this, and what I got out of it was "Oh, no! I'm more badass than I thought!"

Struggle much?

Well, I HAVE always been the more brainy type over the physical type.  It's why I have my belt certificated framed and hanging on my wall rather than the two degrees I have, which are sitting somewhere in my parents' basement.  I find physical activities so much more daunting than academic ones, so finding out that things I thought I'd be terrible at I was succeeding decently at without much issue was just mind boggling to me.  I should be more humble, since clearly I'm a novice at all these things, but part of me is just so happy that I didn't fall flat on my face and could have kept going much longer than most of the classes' duration.  Makes me want to do more.

17 hours ago, maigrey said:

Are you going to spoil it and tell them the subject of the video? :)

Neeeeewp.  They'll get the shock when they see it.

15 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I've been meaning to slowly saturate with the Monks since day 1, and it's clear that this is the thread to start with :D Following for all the bricky-testing-eating-training-goodness, all the joys of life! 

(When I saw that the PL weigh in was a surprise after a meal the night before, I groaned out loud... I feel for you, the scale, she is an absolute lying bitch of a mistress!)

Oh my!  I hope I don't disappoint!  You'll find I ramble a lot more than most, and I've been around long enough that I'm not exactly bad at the challenges as much as a poor role model. ^_^;;

And yea, that scale was the devil.  Everyone was not pleased with that scale.

16 hours ago, The Shogun said:

Ken, following and commenting on your thread feels like overkill, man.

14 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I don't know how I feel about this subtle implication that RP has a name that isn't "Phoenix".

So funny story about the PL Comp.  It was run by Staci, who knows me best from here.  @Sam Ashen and I both share the name Ken.  When given our flights for the comp, Staci had us both as only Ken.  So we had to ask who went where.  When the comp started and we had to figure out who was up, Staci kept to Ken and then we STILL got confused.  So Sam and I went to her list, crossed "Ken" off, and put down our forum monikers.  I tapped Staci on the shoulder to let her know we edited the list.  Her response?

"Oh thank god, that makes it so much easier!"

At which point we asked why she didn't do that in the first place.  Something about Camp having real names or some such nonsense.

Speaking of powerlifting, photos of a Lifting Phoenix?

Spoiler

14484628_940234770297_701852594898483152

14502982_940234800237_478067745006032223

14502692_940234810217_555421817934103869

(GrumpPhoenix)

14502966_940234845147_237826874972296400

Okay, so, Challenge things.

Went to aikido last night, and was feeling pretty good.  Then I hit a damn wall about half way though the class.  So while I wanted to do two classes, I only did one.  Not only did I hit a wall, a bruise I created my first night at Camp on my left shoulder from rolling on a concrete floor just flaaaaared to life again, after I thought it had healed.  So that sucks.  I thought it was because I was doing shitty ukemi, until I realized that I just have a bone spur-type thing on my left shoulder blade that sits right about where a proper roll would begin.  So huzzah, realizing I don't have shitty ukemi.  Boo for having body morphology that makes left sided rolls really difficult on any surface other than a mat, and BOO for having aggravated my injury a bit more.  I may skip class tonight if this thing doesn't calm down.  Meant to rub some tiger balm/chinese magic potion on it to see if that would help.  Gonna do that after I post this.  Also the suddenly being without energy thing sucked.  I can't tell if it's cuz I'm still exhausted from Camp, or if my body (which is suddenly being fed more food than it's been used to) was so happy that it had all the food energy that it just burnt it all in one fell swoop, instead of just spacing it out appropriately.  Guess some experimentation will show one way or the other.

This morning I Rucked the Stairs at NP with @raptron.  I had my 40# ruck, she had her 20# ruck.  We would walk up one flight of Stairs, go behind the bleachers, and then take turns buddy carrying one another the length of one section and back (maybe 40-50 feet of walking total).  I did it wearing my ruck, picking her and her ruck up, and going.  Lots of attempts at buddy carry positioning.  As a male, there were a few of her carries which were a biiiiit painful to sustain.  I had to do more than a few moments of readjustments post carry. >.> <.<  We ended up rucking UP 11 sections (37 to 27), and then I buddy carried raptron probably the entire length of the stadium in the grand scheme of things, though only in spurts.  Longest sprint was at the end, where I think I buddy carried her through 12 sections?  Stopping only because she couldn't be carried any longer.  Something about almost passing out or whatever.

And with that, I'm off to prep for a phone interview this afternoon and a job interview tomorrow.  Huzzah!

• Like 8

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

35 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Well, I HAVE always been the more brainy type over the physical type.

Same here!!!!  When I finished high school, I weighed 135 pounds dripping wet.

Oh.  And hai.  Welcome to NF!

40 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

So funny story about the PL Comp.  It was run by Staci, who knows me best from here.  @Sam Ashen and I both share the name Ken.

That confusion was pretty funny.  They are used to me being known as Sam on the forums and I thought Gainz was messing with me when he kept asking about that DL opener. :D

• Like 3

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Yea, and the fact that there where three Kens didn't help the matter.  Haha

• Like 4

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

1) Had an onsite interview today. Went really well. And I don't feel like I fucjed it up. 

2) This is impressive, because I feel like I've been run over by a truck and my sinuses seem to have been filled with gak. 

As such my ass has been lazy. And I'm hoping for all the sleep tonight to help recover more. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I hope the good interview leads to a good job. You have had several weeks of excitement. No surprise that your body is saying "look, we are safe at home, now is the time to rest".

Right?  Also, next week I go to NYC for NY Comic Con.  Yeesh.  I don't give myself a damn rest.

Also, Nerds convinced me this morning to drag myself to the gym.  I was really pleased with the workout, because I wasn't expecting much.  Followed a basic Strong Lifts pattern at lighter weight since I'm feeling under the weather:

Squats: 155# @ 5x5

Bench Press: 135# @ 5x5

Deadlift: 225# @ 5x5

Warmed up appropriately for each one, I'm just being lazy now.  Felt really good.  Then I came home and had some kaluha pork and eggs.

I was debating going to aikido tonight, but my shoulder is still complaining stupidly and I'm feeling a bit off still.  So instead I'll get to bed early and try to hit two classes tomorrow at least.

Also, binge watched Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrel last night.  It was pretty good.  Kind of... Harry Potter meets Laybrinth meets Downton Abbey (I suspect, since I haven't actually watched it) meets Merlin.  Really entertaining, though I wasn't paying super close attention due to being a sick puddle.  But enjoyable.  And this weekend I'll probably binge Luke Cage.  Because LUKE CAGE.

Anywho.  Goal is 4 aikido classes this weekend, and another 3 between Monday and Tuesday (though maybe I'll stretch for 4).  Then Stair rucks at 0530, then home to run and clean up and catch a train down to NYC for the next 5 days. 

WHY AM I RUNNING AROUND SO MUCH.

• Like 4

Chinese magic potion is magic. I really need to get my hands on another bottle. Although it's amazing how much less I bruise already just from regular practice.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder trouble, but huzzah on job interviews and them going reasonably well! :D 

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

Yay nerd-inspired lifting! And running around doing things because you will soon have a job and so won't have time or energy. Make the most of it now, DAMMIT RP!

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

So a week home, and now this Wednesday I'm off again to help a friend run their booth at New York Comic Con.  I give myself no damn rest.  On the plus side, it seems I'm mostly over Camp Crud.  Just in time to free me up to contract Con Crud.  Awesome.

I made my four classes this weekend, guys!  Four hours of aikido done, no major revelations, but I felt super proud of one of the newer guys (probably a little less than a year under his belt?).  The throws he was pulling off today were pretty technically challenging and he pulled them off really smoothly.  I was happy to see that his body is getting it, even if his brain is lagging behind a bit.  It'll catch up, but it's the first step!  So it was fun working with him today.  In the mean time, my biggest shock today was Big Goober was being.... helpful.  I was a bit confused.  He still treats me like I'm covered in dogshit.  But he actually let me do more than two tries when an instructor corrected me.  Historically he doesn't do that.  And he also let me try again when I royally screwed the pooch on a few techniques.  I'd say that maybe something go through his skull, but I honestly don't think I can muster up that much good will towards him.  I've tried.  My aiki towards him at this point is firmly in the "smile and nod and don's stab to death" category.  *shrug*

I also bought bricks this weekend, finally.  I had been using mountain seeds rocks Company collected during her visits and live on my windowsill.  I plan on having my own happy taping party tonight while I continue watching Luke Cage.

Food has been pretty solid, in the mean time.  I did spring to get some Taza chocolate - maple pecan seasonal bar was just too tempting.  I was in the store getting things as a gift for Company, and had to get it.  Had to.  I'm also definitely eating more, and I haven't freaked out too much about that fact.  I also haven't been counting calories, because I know if I saw how many calories I was eating I'd probably go down into lockdown-cut mode.  Trying to avoid that.  Just still a bit anxious.  Before my scale was hijacked (long story), I was weighing in at 201.  My gut measurement is hovering around 35", if not a bit lower, so I'm kinda happy about that.  If I can get lower, so much the better.  If I hit 15% bodyfat that would be fantastic.  That's going to require much more lifting I suspect, though, than I currently can fit in.  But in 2017 I plan on focusing a bit more on powerlifting, so we shall see how far a non-bulk caloric amount will carry me.  

And now, to wrap up here and wrap some bricks.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Food has been pretty solid, in the mean time.  I did spring to get some Taza chocolate - maple pecan seasonal bar was just too tempting.  I was in the store getting things as a gift for Company, and had to get it.  Had to.  I'm also definitely eating more, and I haven't freaked out too much about that fact.  I also haven't been counting calories, because I know if I saw how many calories I was eating I'd probably go down into lockdown-cut mode.  Trying to avoid that.  Just still a bit anxious.  Before my scale was hijacked (long story), I was weighing in at 201.  My gut measurement is hovering around 35", if not a bit lower, so I'm kinda happy about that.  If I can get lower, so much the better.  If I hit 15% bodyfat that would be fantastic.  That's going to require much more lifting I suspect, though, than I currently can fit in.  But in 2017 I plan on focusing a bit more on powerlifting, so we shall see how far a non-bulk caloric amount will carry me.  

And now, to wrap up here and wrap some bricks.

I mean, this has to happen once in awhile right? If I don't do a little sweet thing every so often I start having panic dreams about socially pressured donut parties :P Once in awhile is no need to freak! You're totes okay...

Bricks! I hear about the bricks, been thinking about bricks, though I'm also liking the flat steel plate idea... I kind of have some sort of DIY - strap it to my chest and back - style for some reason. I'll be curious to hear how the bricks feel... anything has to be better than the KBs wrapped in a towel I've been throwing in my backpack LOL

Have a great time at the con! I just got back from Brooklyn for the weekend :) Are you in the general area?

h8WYOO4m.jpg

• Like 1

You best bet hitting up the NYC NF Rebels folks (*cough* @darkfoxx *cough*) for a meet up while you're here! (you know, if you have time between all the con-ing). 

16 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

But in 2017 I plan on focusing a bit more on powerlifting, so we shall see how far a non-bulk caloric amount will carry me

Yesssss! So much powerlifting hype around here lately.

Whew!!  All caught up with the RP Lyfe! :P

Sounds like Camp was awesome, as expected. Also, I now officially have a "Camp NF 2017" line in my budget that I'm saving for.  I wanted to go this year but it just wasn't in the cards.  I'm quite jealous.  

Have fun at the Con!! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

4 hours ago, Raxie said:

You best bet hitting up the NYC NF Rebels folks (*cough* @darkfoxx *cough*) for a meet up while you're here! (you know, if you have time between all the con-ing). 

Yesssss! So much powerlifting hype around here lately.

Well I'll have some of the evenings free.  I'm staying with a friend who's a non-Nerd, but would mostly get along with Nerds.  He still can't believe how fitness-oriented I've become in the last 4 years, but is one of the few people who've accepted it and while calling me crazy is glad to see my progress.  So beers are definitely possible.  Also most of my Con attire I've packed is NF gear. <.< >.>

Yea, @Flex Luthor has been trying to get me to bulk for a while now.  Maybe come the new year I'll hire him virtually.  Or @nightlight.  Or both of them.  Because <3.  I want to hit the 1000 pound club before camp next year.  Seems totally doable.

4 hours ago, Kyellan said:

NYCC is supposed to be a pretty great convention. Enjoy! :D 

It's the third or fourth time I've helped these guys at NYCC.  I really like helping them, they are all awesome people, I get in for free, and I can people watch to my heart's content.  I'm excited.

4 hours ago, maigrey said:

Yay for nerdsgiving inspired lifting and scale stealing! :) even if I did get payback on the nerdborhood inspired lifting. NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED, I guess ;)

Damn straight!  

51 minutes ago, Oramac said:

Whew!!  All caught up with the RP Lyfe! :P

Sounds like Camp was awesome, as expected. Also, I now officially have a "Camp NF 2017" line in my budget that I'm saving for.  I wanted to go this year but it just wasn't in the cards.  I'm quite jealous.  

Have fun at the Con!! 

Ha, I was wondering where you were hiding.  And yea, you would freaking love Camp.  And Dakao, the sword headmaster.  You and he would be buddies I suspect.  And remember when you and @Kyellan were geeking out about the interaction you guys had before you met?  Imagine that for FOUR HUNDRED PEOPLE.  Seriously.  It was amazing.

So, I taped the bricks last night while watching some Luke Cage.  Then I took them for a walk.  See:

14469596_941750118527_665707718693484856

GORUCK recommends targetting a 15 minute per mile pace, so I was a bit slower than that, but not by much.  Then again, I suspect that GORUCK doesn't expect you to have 8 bricks and 3 liters of water in the ruck when you hit that.  Since for the actual ruck I need only 6 bricks and 1L of water (plus some food), I think I'll be okay.  I'll do more training on Wednesday at the stadium.

Aikido tonight in any case.  Another hour down.  Plus I need to ask about schedules.  I kinda started being the calendar updating guy on the dojo's white board, but I'm left out of when they make changes on the fly.  I'm going to ask if they can at least clue me on that so I can update things appropriately.  I do know one person said they didn't want that updated schedule because it might cause people to try and avoid certain classes.  I have the opinion that if people are avoiding a class then it's something that should probably be looked into, ego be damned.  But what do I know, I'm just a dinky kyu rank. -_-

Ahem.

Now to get back to job searching.  I have a phone interview tomorrow with one company that I've been interested in, and then an onsite interview at some point with the company I had a phone interview with last week.  So job stuff is going pretty decently, I suppose.  Better if the place I interviewed at last week would call me back with an offer.  That'd be cool, too.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Ha, I was wondering where you were hiding.  And yea, you would freaking love Camp.  And Dakao, the sword headmaster.  You and he would be buddies I suspect.  And remember when you and @Kyellan were geeking out about the interaction you guys had before you met?  Imagine that for FOUR HUNDRED PEOPLE.  Seriously.  It was amazing.

o_O  That.  Sounds.  Awesome!  Yea, I definitely gotta get there.  You think they'd be cool if I brought one of those actual lightsabers? :P  (kinda rhetorical there)

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

20 minutes ago, Oramac said:

You think they'd be cool if I brought one of those actual lightsabers?

People did.

2 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

People did.

I imagine they did, and that it was amazing.  As if I needed to be more jealous of Camp, now I am.  You didn't happen to take any other pictures while you were there? (of anything, not just lightsabers)

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

i've heard @nightlight works for cheap. 

• Like 2

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

20 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

I mean, this has to happen once in awhile right? If I don't do a little sweet thing every so often I start having panic dreams about socially pressured donut parties :P Once in awhile is no need to freak! You're totes okay...

Bricks! I hear about the bricks, been thinking about bricks, though I'm also liking the flat steel plate idea... I kind of have some sort of DIY - strap it to my chest and back - style for some reason. I'll be curious to hear how the bricks feel... anything has to be better than the KBs wrapped in a towel I've been throwing in my backpack LOL

Have a great time at the con! I just got back from Brooklyn for the weekend :) Are you in the general area?

h8WYOO4m.jpg

Whoops, forgot to respond to you, Redstone.

I've used bricks before.  Sit pretty well in my ruck, with a towel for padding.  My legs are the only things sore after my ruck this morning, so I count that as a win.

And not a NY native!  I'm just north of Boston, so I get to take a train down.  Which I haven't done in ages, so I'm kinda excited to do that.  Plus it lets me get my workout in the morning.  But trains.  I have a goal of taking a cross country train ride at some point.  It just requires a lot of planning and time off to do so properly.  But it's a goal of mine.

38 minutes ago, Oramac said:

I imagine they did, and that it was amazing.  As if I needed to be more jealous of Camp, now I am.  You didn't happen to take any other pictures while you were there? (of anything, not just lightsabers)

I didn't take that many photos.  This professional guy did.  He and his team nabbed that wonderful GrumpPhoenix squat photo I posted earlier. Haha

5 minutes ago, nightlight said:

i've heard @nightlight works for cheap. 

Hugs?  Does she work for hugs?  Because at the moment that's really the only currency I have.

• Like 3