Alanna's countdown to a kg holiday

Alanna

I was going for an alliterative title, but looking up "holiday" in the thesaurus led me to "event," which suggested

calamity -- er, I hope not

catastrophe -- not any better

crisis -- I give up

I also tried "hiatus" as the seed, which brought up

caesura -- ah, if only it was a hard "c"

coffee break -- which I have a habit of skipping (right, @Chronosus?)

Anyway....

Guess that I'm doing on the last day of the challenge??

Flying to ENGLAND.

welshdragon.jpg

Move over, Toothless.

I'll be in England and Wales for most of next challenge. This will be my first time back in the UK since I finished my Master's there August 2015, and to say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement.

So this challenge is going to be travel prep + some more health troubleshooting + further cementing some habits.

Goal 1: Develop skills for easy, reasonably accurate scale-free tracking

• Calibrate my eyes: Practice eyeballing weights of meat and sweet potatoes. Use the scale to determine how far I'm off.
  • Define macro units: One loose tracking method I've used before is to define macro units (e.g., 1 tablespoon of coconut oil = 1 fat unit), convert my main foods to those units, and then just track those instead of counting calories. I need to come up with reasonable units based on my current eating habits, make a list of how different foods roughly translate to these units, and figure out what my targets should be on lifting and rest days. Clearly defining what I need to eat on a day-to-day basis should also help with efficient grocery shopping.

Goal 2: Learn KStar's travel tips

A while back I spotted some mWODs on how not to be a mobility wreck post traveling. I need to track those down, watch them, and figure out what I can implement so I don't spend the plane rides unbearably uncomfortable.

Goal 3: Take a holiday from the fruit

• Stop eating fruit for two or three weeks and see if that helps me sleep better (proposed mechanism would be by keeping my blood sugar more stable). I suspect I tolerate starches better than simple fruit sugars.
  • Afterwards: can try re-introducing some fruit (especially berries), but limit to 5 servings/week because I don’t need to go to town on fruit.

Goal 4: More meditation

• Meditate at least 3x/week for 20+ min. I'm going to see if fewer, but more focused meditations works better for me than shorter daily meditations, which have been feeling perfunctory.

LUYL Goal: Set a schedule

• Plan blocks of time for my main activities (research, lifting, walking, cooking, etc.) on Google calendar at least a few days in advance. The schedule does not have to be followed at all, though I will try to accomplish most tasks, albeit not necessarily at the planned time. The goal is to consider how I need to plan my time to get certain things done, and to impose some (optional) structure on my day since I don't have much external structure.
  • Continue slowly increasing the amount of time I work each week (though this does not need to be monotonically increasing). Track the amount of time worked so I know if I'm making progress. Work needs to be distraction free (e.g., no phone or Internet surfing), but I'm lifting my 30 min. minimum length requirement from last challenge since I can get a lot done in 15-20 min spurts between chores (laundry, cooking, etc.).

I will probably be around even less than usual because of that work goal, so apologies in advance for disappearing!

31 days 1 hr 51 minutes and 40 sec til my flight lands :D

• Like 6

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 

On 9/22/2016 at 7:53 AM, Alanna said:

Calibrate my eyes: Practice eyeballing weights of meat and sweet potatoes. Use the scale to determine how far I'm off.

• Define macro units: One loose tracking method I've used before is to define macro units (e.g., 1 tablespoon of coconut oil = 1 fat unit), convert my main foods to those units, and then just track those instead of counting calories. I need to come up with reasonable units based on my current eating habits, make a list of how different foods roughly translate to these units, and figure out what my targets should be on lifting and rest days. Clearly defining what I need to eat on a day-to-day basis should also help with efficient grocery shopping.

Brilliant! I should try something like this, it's exactly what I need. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you! And, England??? AWESOME!!!!

• Like 1
Whoo! Super exciting!

Also HI!!!!

Lots of stuff to do. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

On 9/22/2016 at 7:55 AM, elvenengineer said:

Whoo! Super exciting!

Also HI!!!!

HI!

On 9/23/2016 at 7:42 AM, Chronosus said:

It's fine that you skip coffee -- I drink more than enough for both of us :P 

Good set of goals, following! :D 

But maybe I shouldn't skip all the breaks XD

On 9/23/2016 at 11:14 AM, ~RedStone~ said:

Brilliant! I should try something like this, it's exactly what I need. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you! And, England??? AWESOME!!!!

It's worked well for me in the past when counting calories was just a bit much. Bonus: you can easily do it on pen and paper, too. I already kind of have an idea of how much I need to eat before tallying up my totals (e.g., if I haven't had four good Alanna portions of meat, my protein will probably be a bit low), but I need to re-formalize it.

England Oct 23-26, Wales Oct 26-Nov 2, then England again until I fly home on the 22nd! 26 days 22 hrs 7 min and 28 sec!

On 9/23/2016 at 7:03 PM, wildross said:

Lots of stuff to do. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks wildross! Good luck with your prep for nationals :).

On 9/24/2016 at 9:52 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Well this entire challenge looks fabulous!

Just wait til I get to lift with pretty colorful plates again! That makes all the lifts more fabulous, right?

------------------

I eased into the challenge this time and didn't try to nail my goals during zero week.

I'm starting to remember to try eyeballing my food -- or at least take a good long look at what a certain weight looks like after the fact.

My fruit goal I did start this week (no fruit for about a week now), and I AM starting to sleep much better, but that's confounded with an herbal sleep aid I also started taking. I'll ditch that when I can risk a bad night. I also just need to tally up my "fruit calories" from MFP and add that to my sleep tracking spreadsheet to see if there's a relationship between the two.

Meditation... ha. I took a ... deload... this week. Yeah. A meditation deload. So my meditation will be super strong this week, right? I have scheduled it into my calendar.

I have started planning daily activities using Google calendar using a very pretty aqua color. I wanted to keep the flexible stuff on a different calendar from my appointments so I can easily see the stuff I *have* to do at a certain time.

Also, baaaaack in my old IPF weight class! 184.8 lbs -- in the afternoon, with clothes and not fasting. ~10 lbs more will get me solidly back to my pre-Health Fiasco of '15-16 walk around weight.

Squats on Sunday were 180 lbs x 5 x 3, so almost back up to body weight, even if far from my 5RM PR. They're much heavier than I'd like, but I'll probably start using my belt again soon for my top sets. The important thing is that they are completely pain free, which is a big relief after all the glute issues I've had this past summer. Meanwhile, deadlifts on Thursday were 215 lbs x 5, so 10 lbs heavier than when I pulled my glutes during a warm-up set. Again, I've had to check my ego weight wise, but I've fixed my main form issues, my lower back looks great, and they are pain-free!

• Like 4

Yay for pain free squats and a lovely upcoming trip!

What is the occasion?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

The lifts:

Tuesday, 9/27/16 -- worked up to

• squats (LB): 185 lbs x 5 x 3 (+ belt)
  • OHP: 80 lbs x 5, 4, 4 (no surprise that I'm starting to miss reps here)
  • deadlift (conventional): 225 lbs x 5
  • pull-ups (neutral grip): bw x 1 x 3 (can do these at the end of my workout now!)
  • lying leg raises: bw x F x 3

Thursday, 9/29/16 -- worked up to

• squats (LB): 190 lbs x 5 x 3 (+ belt)
  • bench: 115 lbs x 5 x 3 (will probably need to deload soon -- 120 lbs x 5 x 3 isn't happening -- but I'll try a Texas Method-esque program first)
  • DB row: 55 lbs x 7 x 3
  • back extensions: bw + 35 lbs x 10 x 3

I'm quite please with squats since my working weight was 155 lbs x 5 x 3 two weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how far I can take the linear progression... I'd be very happy with double plates!

• Like 6

If they have a preacher curl bench (or similar) - you should go squat on it!

tmp_20400-66-704384150.jpg

• Like 4

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

On 10/1/2016 at 6:21 PM, Blocky said:

If they have a preacher curl bench (or similar) - you should go squat on it!

tmp_20400-66-704384150.jpg

Or just this ;):

THEY-CURLED-IN.jpg

On a related note, I was able to take my linear progression up to 225 lbs x 5 x 3, which puts me back up to my pre-summer squatting ability (or perhaps a bit beyond -- not sure I could have done that for sets across before!). I'm switching to a Texas Method-esque structure now, since I was starting to feel beat up on the linear progression.

In other news, I really fell off the face of the earth this challenge, didn't I? 1 day 13 hrs 48 min and 20 seconds til I'm in England!