• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Athaclena

Athaclena - the reboot continues....

You can read my bio on the last Challenge if you wish :)

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/87326-athaclena-the-reboot-continues

The last challenge was a small success.  I kept up with it.  Some things I was relatively consistent on by the end - others not so much.

So - largely I'm keeping the SAME goals.  I have to get a hang of these key things - both at home and when traveling for work - before moving on.

Diet 

• Yogurt - one per day when it's available (I'll be looking for a good pro-biotic supplement for those days it's not)
    • I've been doing good here - but need to keep it in focus
  • Veggie - at LEAST one serving per day
    • I've been doing good here - but I'll let is slide faster than you can say "Rumpelstiltskin"
  • Take the supplements that I've found to give me a boost - DAILY rather than when I remember because I'm wondering why I feel like poo

Fitness 

• At least 3 workouts per week.  Whether it's walking, doing a tape (er.... dvd.... did I just show my age?)\daily burn\body weight workout from NF - doesn't matter.  SOMETHING organized.

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  Stop staying up so dang late!
  • Since I'll be getting to bed on time - drag my sorry rear out of bed by 6:30 am during the week and 10am on the weekends (although if I actually STICK to bed time I should be up much earlier on the weekend).
  • Every day - take 1 task I've been avoiding - work on it for at least 15 minutes.  There's enough work\life stuff that applies here to go several challenges - I need to stop avoiding and get stuff DONE so we can get our life in order and move where we WANT to live.
Edited by Athaclena
Modify my challenge goals
  • Like 4

Good luck with doing the challenge again!

What did you struggle with last time, and how can you use that knowledge to make it easier for yourself this challenge?

Also, for your fitness, it might make it easier to create a more detailed plan that you can follow, but not kick yourself if you do something different.

• Like 1

Things I struggle with:

Mainly right now insomnia and working out.

Part of this has to do with not REALLY having a set schedule due to work travel and my inability to drag my sorry a$$ out of bed in the morning unless it means missing a plane.  My REALLY early morning travel doesn't happen as much any more with my new job duties.

So - with that in mind - I'm just going to "suck it up" with a couple of things.

I declare next week the week of being in bed by 10pm and up by 6:30am so I can workout in the morning.  Weekends - in bed by midnight and up by 10am.

I'll update those goals accordingly.

• Like 2

One thing that can help make working out easier is by increasing the time in small amounts. Over the course of this week, I've been moving my wake up from 6:30 to 6, by periods of 10 minutes. It was really hard this morning, waking at 6, so I napped again till 6:10. and will wake up at 6 tomorrow. Of course, you should either be keeping the same bedtime/moving it forwards as well.

How much sleep are you used to getting? Will jumping forwards to 10pm be difficult? I know I can't fall asleep before 10:30, no matter how tired I am.

• Like 1

Well - I USED to crash around 9:30 - 10 back when I had to get up at 6.  I really need at least 8 hours of sleep most nights.

Part of the problem is taking too much advantage of working from home and rolling out of bed at 8:45 to be online at 9. It's been extremely difficult breaking out of that habit.

If I change a "normal" wake-up to say 6:30 + workout.  Unless I'm taking a 6:30am flight (VERY RARE) - I won't be getting up TOO much earlier when I have a morning flight.  At the very least it won't be as much of a shock as dragging my rear out of bed 5 hours earlier than "normal"....

• Like 2

Summary for the week (I was traveling and busy).

Diet

• I only managed my supplements twice.
  • Had my veggies every day (except one - I had a terrible migraine and I resort to comfort food so I can keep it down - sorry if that's TMI)
  •  

Fitness 

• 2 workouts (out of 3) - because I had nice, long walks through airports.

Level Up Your Life 

• I was in bed on time all but 2 nights. (last night in bed by 7 due to a 5 alarm migraine - sucks at any time but even worse when on the road).
  • I'm making headway on stuff I've been avoiding - but not as consistently as I'd like.

So I'm giving myself a C for the week (average).

I need to focus more on the supplements and working out.  I'll try to get in a walk or something tomorrow to get in that 3rd workout.

I'm home next week so I can check in more consistently.  It's just an absolute BEAR when I'm on the road, working after meetings at the hotel, out with co-workers, etc.  BUT I'm at least making an effort to eat better :) And check in here...

• Like 2

How was the travelling?

And a C is still a good passing grade! You're making good headway, even when in a more difficult than usual situation of travelling and being busy. Good luck with your third workout!

Friday (9/30) Update

Diet

• Got in my supplements
  • Got in my veggies with dinner

Fitness 

• airport walking (the "second" workout for the week).

Level Up Your Life 

• Crashed at 9:30pm.  Likely still recovering from Thursday's migraine.  BUT I was up this morning about 8 - earlier than my normal week time.  Right now I'm trying to NOT take a nap so I can keep that going :).  That is totally the earliest I've been to bed in a LOOONG time (barring Thursday night crashing at 7pm due to said migraine).
  • Task Avoidance: Waded through a week's worth of mail....

Had a heart to heart with hubby this morning over poor food choices (both of us).  We're both committing to making better choices - which includes my cooking better choices.  I can cook a LOT of different things and make nearly anything you can think of from scratch.  It just takes time and energy - which I've been sorely lacking.

So - to that end I'm looking right now at a 6qt Instant Pot (multi-cooker that includes pressure cooking) to go along with my Ninja multi-cooker.  That will allow me to cook more things in a shorter amount of time (and hands off).  And seriously - the Instant Pot has a yogurt setting so I may seriously use that too :)  I'm also looking at a NICE bread maker so I can make home-made bread again - again with set it and walk away potential.  I foresee lots of bulk once per month cooking of things - or at least get up, throw stuff in pot(s) - walk away and portion out later cooking sessions.  It's always the babysitting that screws up my weekends home with hubby.  We'll be eating less processed crap (kind of a modified paleo) and the last time we stuck to that we both felt tons better - so time to make that change again.

Saturday (10/1) Update

Diet

• Got in my supplements - including yogurt
  • Veggies was a fail - but I had better carb options.  Not quite the same - but hey :)

Fitness 

• Not really - moving on to next week

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed at midnight.  Should have made it earlier, but still squeaked it out.  Up at a reasonable time this morning - even if I'm not completely gung ho to get going - I'm getting ready to implement some of yesterday's planning for healthy meals (finalizing some research this morning).  Then on to grocery shopping!
  • Caught up on bills and all bills received to date are now scheduled for payment.  One less thing to worry about for a couple of weeks (when the rest of this month's bills roll in)

I somehow missed the posts on my topic :)

On 10/1/2016 at 6:41 AM, IAmInfinite said:

How was the travelling?

And a C is still a good passing grade! You're making good headway, even when in a more difficult than usual situation of travelling and being busy. Good luck with your third workout!

The actual travelling wasn't bad.  I am - thankfully - on the "profit" side of the house and all reasonable expenses are billed to the client.  So I use a car service to\from the airport and I don't have to stay in the cheapest hotels imaginable.  So I stay in hotels that have restaurants on site at a minimum (key for those nights I have to work on client stuff from the hotel).

Everything is still a work in progress and while the C is disappointing - it only means I need to work harder - which is for some reason hard for this former straight A student LOL.  I'm doing better about not throwing my hands in the air and giving up when I slip.  I'm still doing better than I was and maintaining focus!

On 10/1/2016 at 1:49 PM, Bookish Badger said:

You have my sympathies on having migraines, and having one away from the comfort of home sounds absolutely horrible!

It was a "bad" one.  While I generally only get those 3-4 times per year - this is the worst I've had on the road.  I'm so thankful I was there with co-workers and it wasn't a day I needed to present.  Unfortunately it's the 2nd one I've had that was painful enough to induce actual vomitting (rather than minor nausea).  So my next check-up I'm going to see if I can add Zofran to my arsenal.  It's hard for my meds to work if I can't keep them down - which is what happened that day.  If I could have reduced the nausea and kept the first "on board" - I'd have been able to function at least.

Luckily - my co-workers AND the client were very sympathetic.  When we got back to the hotel I got a burger (don't judge - it's the best thing I've found for recovery), fries and ginger ale then passed out.  Made it through Friday pain free then passed out that night early.  I was pretty much recovered Saturday :)

For the grading marks, @Lady Godgifu decided to switch to using XP instead, as having the possibility of getting an F was more demoralising than challenging. Unless that is what gives you motivation? You're still doing so well, and a C is better than what you used to get? You're progressing, not failing. <3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

For the grading marks, @Lady Godgifu decided to switch to using XP instead, as having the possibility of getting an F was more demoralising than challenging. Unless that is what gives you motivation? You're still doing so well, and a C is better than what you used to get? You're progressing, not failing. <3

Hmmmm.... a point for completing each task each day (7 possible) with a possible 49 each week (almost 50 - nice round #).  I need to come up with point rewards - and maybe some extra credit stretch goals.  I like it! I'll start counting them up as of now.....

And I thought I'd set 11pm work nights not 10pm - maybe I'll set a sliding scale for that one :) I'll be in bed by 11pm at least!  And I'll do a sliding scale for wake-up during the week.  Full point for 7am or earlier, 1/2 point by 8am.  Nothing if I'm in bed after 8am (considering 8:45 is my "normal" when working from home)

Round-Up for Sunday 10/2

Diet 

• Pro-biotic and/or Yogurt - YES (1 pt)
  • Veggie - at LEAST one serving per day - YES (1 pt)
  • Take Supplements - forgot (0pt BOO)

Fitness 

• Workout - Not enough to count (0pt)

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  - No - But I'm going to say 10pm will be 1pt - 11pm 1/2 pt.  I'll take the 1/2 pt.
  • Up at a better time (10 am weekend - 7am weekday) Hey - I was up at 9:30 am this morning - YES! (1 pt).
  • Take on a task I've been avoiding - the kitchen is CLEAN! (1pt)

Total points for Sunday: 4.5

• Like 2

Dude, eating well while traveling is super difficult. I do not know how anyone manages it. 

Have you tried the yogurt setting on the instant pot before? I did it once and thought the result was pretty tasty, but it came out a little runnier than I expected. 

Also, following!

I'm a very experienced yogurt maker.  After reading up on what that setting does - it seems pretty useless - unless you want kefir (which is what you found out LOL).  You also still have to let it cool down and inoculate it.  It really just didn't seem to "save" me anything.

As such - I went with a model that doesn't have the yogurt setting (it wasn't worth the extra $30 - especially since I bought a $250+ bread maker at the same time LOL).  All you need is a good thermometer that reads between 100 and 200 deg F.  I used a candy thermometer for years, but finally bought a really good electronic one that does meat OR candy.

Here's how I make my yogurt - note - I've NEVER used actual yogurt starter packets - I've always used store bought yogurt with active cultures.

You'll need

• 1/2 gallon milk (I use raw if I can get my hands on it, organic if not - I prefer whole milk)
  • 1 c. powdered milk (not instant - Bob's Red Mill is the only one that I've found still available) - key if you want really thick, greek style yogurt - if you want "regular" yoplait style yogurt - skip
  • 6 oz plain\vanilla active culture yogurt or yogurt starter
  • Cooler large enough for you pot to sit in completely covered

Method

• If using yogurt, sit it on the counter so that it can come to room temp while you're pasteurizing the milk.
  • Stir milk & powdered milk in a big stainless steel pot until mixed (hint - electric hand blender)
  • Heat to 180 - 190 deg F.  KEEP there for 5 minutes (careful NOT to boil).  This breaks down the proteins for thicker yogurt than you'd get with the Instant Pot...
  • Cool down to 130 (I do this in my sink by sitting it in ice water).
  • Inoculate (carefully stir 6 oz room temp plain or vanilla active culture yogurt - or yogurt starter)
  • Pop entire pot into a cooler - cover with pot top.  Add enough HOT tap water to fill about 3/4 of the way up the pot.  Close it up and let sit 4 - 12 hours (the longer it sits the more "sour" it will be - I usually do about 6 - 8).
  • Sometimes I'll flavor an entire batch (Cinnamon, honey, stevia, vanilla for Cinnamon Dolce - FABULOUS). I then portion into small jars\containers for single servings. This will keep in the fridge 2-3 weeks (I keep back 6 oz. for my next starter and use it w\in 2 weeks for the next batch).

There was a time I did this every weekend and sold half the batch to my boss - who told me I wasn't charging her enough until I let her know she was paying for my entire batch :)  I like this method of heating & keeping everything in the same pot because you're less likely to introduce "bad" bacteria by putting into jars that may not be sterile.  Since you are actually pasteurizing the milk, it is 100% ok to use raw milk if you can get you hands on it.

You should be able to do this with skim or even almond milk - but I <3 my whole milk yogurt.

It's not a LOT less expensive than store brand yogurt, but is MUCH cheaper than small batch organic yogurt (which is $3-$5 per 6 oz. cup in my part of the country).

• Like 1

Monday was a very good day goal wise.  Now to keep it up!  Hubby really likes the point system - maybe he'll implement something like it too so on days he feels like he really didn't do anything he can show he's done something.  He suffers from acute migraines (which basically means he virtually always has at least some migraine pain + always light sensitive) and really needs positive reinforcement.

Round-Up for Monday 10/3

Diet 

• Pro-biotic and/or Yogurt - YES to both - extra credit (2 pt)
  • Take Supplements - Got them in (1pt)

Fitness 

• Workout - Back to day 1 of the Daily Burn True Beginner - but I did it (1pt)

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  - In bed at 10! (1pt).
  • Up at a better time (10 am weekend - 7am weekday) Up at 7:30 - Not my real goal - but progress - I'll take the partial point  (1/2 pt).
  • Take on a task I've been avoiding - Cleaned out the science experim.... er... fridge (1pt)

Total points for Monday: 7.5 (WOOT)

Running total for the Week: 12

Running total for Challenge (starting at week 2): 12

• Like 1

On 10/3/2016 at 3:54 AM, Athaclena said:

Hmmmm.... a point for completing each task each day (7 possible) with a possible 49 each week (almost 50 - nice round #).  I need to come up with point rewards - and maybe some extra credit stretch goals.  I like it! I'll start counting them up as of now.....

I'm glad you found something that will work for you!

That yogurt sounds intense :P

Congrats on your challenge so far!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

That yogurt sounds intense :P

The hands on is VERY hands on.  You cannot leave it for a second - which is why there are yogurt makers out there.  But even those fail or heat to the incorrect temperatures. I want to do everything I can to make sure the "good" bacteria thrives, not the "bad".  And none of them apparently let you set heat to X and hold there for Y - which is the key to the type of yogurt I like.....  If I can get my bed time\wake up time fixed, I can get the hands on out of the way early in the morning then forget it for 12 hours.....

Now - the breadmaker I bought on the other hand is customizable to an insane level - and I simply cannot wait to get my hands on it.  Bread requires me to be around a particular intervals when doing it by hand - this breadmaker should eliminate that completely.  I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Needless to say - I may lower my carbs - but I'll never cut them completely LOL.  I've tried and my body just shuts down.  So I'll keep it in moderation for me :) Some people workout to eat that steak.  Me? I work out to eat that pasta or garlic bread!

Up late - figured I'd go ahead and post my round-up.  Tomorrow will be very not normal - with SC evacuating the coastline, Mom is heading to me for the duration.  Fingers crossed the storm isn't bad.  Still remember Hugo like it was yesterday - I'm not sure how we'd handle another Cat 4 storm back home..... Rain and some flooding isn't so bad - 125+ MPH winds on the other hand.....

Round-Up for Tuesday 10/4

Diet 

• Take Supplements - Got them in (1pt)

Fitness 

• Workout - Nope (0 pt)

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  - Not so much (0 pt)
  • Up at a better time (10 am weekend - 7am weekday) Up at 7:30 - I'll take the partial point  (1/2 pt).
  • Take on a task I've been avoiding - well, I opened, inspected, cleaned and found a home for 2 new kitchen gadgets rather than letting them sit on the floor for a few weeks (or months first).  This is not my norm - so I'm taking the point.  And I'm staged for fresh bread tomorrow having unearthed my sandwich bread recipe as a good test. (1 pt)

Total points for Monday: 5.5 (I'll take it!)

Running total for the Week: 17.5

Running total for Challenge (starting at week 2): 17.5

• Like 1

Mom made it ok - just lots of traffic.  They're expecting it not to be as bad as they thought - but that changes hour to hour so I'd rather have her here and relaxed where I know she's safe :)

Round-Up for Wed 10/5

Diet 

• Veggie - at LEAST one serving per day - ummm.... no - and I should have (0 pt)
  • Take Supplements - realized when I grabbed them this morning that yesterday's baggie was still there *sigh* (0pt)

Fitness 

• Workout - I'm going to claim partial credit with multiple trips carrying heavy bags upstairs (1/2 pt)

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  - By 10pm for once! (1 pt)
  • Up at a better time (10 am weekend - 7am weekday) Up at 7:30 - I'll take the partial point  (1/2 pt).
  • Take on a task I've been avoiding - That documentation I've been avoiding like the plague for the client I detest - done. (1 pt)

Total points for Wed: 5 (Could have been worse - could have been better)

Running total for the Week: 22.5

Running total for Challenge (starting at week 2): 22.5

• Like 1

Made it through 10 (yes 10) conference calls today.  Also managed a quick grocery run at lunch to get a couple of things to make chicken salad (with leftover tarragon chicken) to go with my homemade bread for lunch. YUM!

And since mom brought all of the shrimp in her freezer - just in case she loses power back home and loses everything in the freezer - made fried shrimp for dinner.  TOTAL YUM.  Good thing we don't do that often :)

Round-Up for Thur 10/6

Diet 

• Veggie - at LEAST one serving per day - Pre-packaged Kale Salad FTW (1 pt)
  • Take Supplements - Yep! (1pt)

Fitness 

• Workout - Not so much - I need to make this more of a focus (obviously) (0 pt)

Level Up Your Life 

• In bed by 10pm "school\work" nights - midnight on the weekend.  - Heading to bed in a few minutes - WAY before 10pm... (1 pt)
  • Up at a better time (10 am weekend - 7am weekday) Up at 8 - I'll take the partial point (it was a struggle to get up - didn't sleep well last night) (1/2 pt).
  • Take on a task I've been avoiding - cleaned the bathtub - it's been worse but I have been avoiding it.... (1 pt)

Total points for Wed: 6.5 (Could have been worse - could have been better)

Running total for the Week: 28.5

Running total for Challenge (starting at week 2): 28.5

• Like 3