• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Vibrantella

Vibrantella Seeks Balance

VIbrantella: a 175 cm (5'9") mid-forties UK Amazon female, Reiki Master Teacher and a self-practitioner of EFT and EEM.

Main Quest: body recomposition, fat loss and health improvement (already got from BMI of 40 to 28, and put my T2D into remission)

This challenge haikus:

Autumnal harvest.

Fresh greens, butter, meat, eggs, nuts -

Digesting strongly

• I will continue to eat keto with intermittent fasting (weekly average of 20 g carbs and 75 g protein per day)

• Daily supplements to include a multivitamin and digestive enzymes

Kettlebell swinging

Picking up and putting down

Walking under clouds

• I will continue to do Tabata HIIT with a ketlebell 3 x week (M/W/F)

• I will find a gym and a PT to teach me to lift

Conkers deeply gleam.

Work, home, study, fitness, food -

Silence supports all.

• I will do at least one meditation/healing/empowerment per day.

I am hoping to just continue with the moving around more, including stretching, foam rolling and the daily plank  Things like doing squats whilst waiting for stuff to be printed at work, or hanging off the monkey bars in the park. On the mental powers side, I have just started a 2-year MA in Classical Studies, and am feeling slightly overwhelmed, but also very excited! :D 

• Like 10

End of Week 0 recap:

• Eat keto with intermittent fasting (weekly average of 20 g carbs and 75 g protein per day)

Went well, averaged 17 g carbs and 67 g proteins

Yes

• Tabata HIIT with a ketlebell 3 x week (M/W/F)

Back to the 20kg kettlebell

Total of 37.14 km, and I joined another PvP, Walk Another Mile

• I will find a gym and a PT to teach me to lift

Still researching

• I will do at least one meditation/healing/empowerment per day.

5/7, could be better!

• Like 5

OMG.

1. Haikus!!! Your challenge is instantly much more fun.
  2. Classical studies!! My undergrad degree was in Latin and Ancient Greek language and literature. Adore that stuff. We can nerd out about ancient language and history any time you want :D
  3. Holy shit I didn't realize you'd already had such giant success with body recomp. Not to mention putting your T2D in the corner - amazing work. I hope you're appropriately proud.
  4. Your goals are awesome. Smart to get training in lifting weights properly. And good luck getting to Mordor!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

• Like 1

A challenge laid in haiku...that's just too cool! Lifting – and strength work in general – is a good way to improve your body composition. And congrats on controlling the t2d – that's a huge win already.

• Like 1

Following along. Your goals look good.

I had started walking to Mordor when I first signed up for NF back in July. I didn't realize there was an accountability group established, I'll have to check it out. 

Have fun. :) 

• Like 1

I've been slightly avoiding my own thread, because I've been so busy.  Ahem, really?  Playing the Sims and Sims Medieval counts as busy?  Methinks some kind of avoidance was taking place.  The same kind of avoidance that prevented me from doing daily meditations - I only did 2 real ones, plus a walking mantra a couple of times but that is not exactly my challenge this time.  So, why?  Is it fear?  Fear of change, fear of the unknown?  After all, I'm supposed to be learning to lift, which should (?) help me remodel my body.  That's a huge step, and slightly frightening.  Suddenly, I started thinking about money, and whether spending some on a gym subscription and a PT would be a monumental waste of funds, when I could just buy a barbell and plates from Amazon and watch YouTube...  

Well, I managed to overcome the first psychological obstacle,and have joined a gym (from next week).  Now I just (!) need to book a PT - oh, why is this like pulling teeth?  Argh!

On a more positive note, my food intake has been on point, the same with HIIT and walking.  I covered 174 km in the month of September! :D 

• Like 3

On 9/30/2016 at 0:54 PM, Vibrantella said:

So, why?  Is it fear?  Fear of change, fear of the unknown?

I don't have the answer for you, but clearly it's something you care about, so it sounds to me like you made a good choice for a challenge goal.  Self discovery is a big reason we come here and do this, right?

On 9/30/2016 at 0:54 PM, Vibrantella said:

I started thinking about money, and whether spending some on a gym subscription and a PT would be a monumental waste of funds, when I could just buy a barbell and plates from Amazon and watch YouTube...

We're all different, but some people do really well this way (I'm soooo thinking about doing exactly that). I think, though, that getting some good competent advice in the beginning is a really good idea. Congratulations on your mileage (err, kilometerage..??) for September!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

We're all different, but some people do really well this way (I'm soooo thinking about doing exactly that).

I know, my OH is exactly like that too, and even I am, for some things.  However, this is too important for me to bumble my way through it - I don't want to get injured, or learn bad form that makes progression impossible.  Also, having someone else there, at least in the beginning, makes me more accountable.  I also feel that investing money, not just time, into improving my physical health, is a good thing, as I am worth it!  (On the other hand, my frugal side is cringing!) :ambivalence:

So, a recap of last week - official Week 1 of the Challenge:

• Eat keto with intermittent fasting (weekly average of 20 g carbs and 75 g protein per day)

Going really well.  Weekly average is 21 g carbs and 64 g protein.  I am trying to reduce protein based on a recent blog post by Dr Jason Fung - in a nutshell, people who are on a weight loss drive should eat less protein than "recommended" so their bodies can recycle all the amino acids from the redundant lean mass that was supporting the fat (cell membranes, capillaries, dreaded loose skin, etc.).  It sounds intuitively right, even though I'd never thought of it myself!  Even though it makes me sad, as a committed carnivore...

Ran out of enzymes but the new box is on order - it's supposed to also support the liver.  Multi-vits and cod liver oil on point.

• Tabata HIIT with a ketlebell 3 x week (M/W/F)

Going well, 20 kg / 44 lb kettlebell.  I also helped load 3 tons of topsoil from the street to our back garden on Saturday, and my arms are still aching! 

Did 38.85 km

• Find a gym and a PT to teach me to lift

Joined a gym, meeting a PT on Wednesday! :D 

• One meditation/healing/empowerment per day.

OK, this is not going well.  Only 4/7.  I think it would go better if I could identify a consistent time of day for doing it, because at the moment it's "when I have time".  I have to make time!

• Like 7

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, Twilight said:

I've had to break goals into teeny-tiny pieces so that they weren't scary or overwhelming. Take it at the pace that works for you. :)

I think NF challenges helped me do that, and also identify what the avoidance was all about.  Not that I can play any games at the moment, as my desktop has been updating Win10 for about, oh, 42 hours now!!!!! Luckily it's just a games machine now, but still....

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:34 PM, Hyrulian Yogi said:

4/7 is still a good grade, in my opinion. ;P Here's to week 2 being amazing!

Thanks, yes, I suppose it's still over 50%... :angel:

23 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

Good job overall with week 1! Hope the next continues to go well!

Thanks, and yes, it has started well :D

I've done my 2 HIIT kettlebell sessions (third one to do on Friday), went to the gym once to check it out and try out some weight machines (I found my old weights records and they're from 5 years ago!), and am going in today to meet the PT, for what could be the first of a few sessions (maybe 5).  I also realised that walking with a handbag and a gym bag is uncomfortable and probably making me twist my shoulders, so today I packed everything into my OH's old backpack, and I'm rucking! ;) Woo-hoo!

• Like 3

I hope your meeting with your trainer went well. Having tips from someone more experienced definitely shaves off some learning time. :)

A thought about your meditation. Do you have a minimum time in mind for the daily goal? I found that knowing I only need to do a minimum of 5 minutes (or 10 minutes) of meditation makes it feel easier to "squeeze" into my day. That way, my brain doesn't say, "what? I have to set aside 30 minutes for meditation in addition to all the other stuff I need to do today. Are you crazy?" Most of the time, my struggle is getting to the spot I plan to meditate, do yoga, workout, write, whatever. Once I'm there I can't just get up and walk away, can I? (Okay, technically I can, but I don't.) Maybe it's a technique that could work for you. :)

Have a great rest of the week.

• Like 3

On October 03, 2016 at 0:13 PM, Vibrantella said:

I think it would go better if I could identify a consistent time of day for doing it, because at the moment it's "when I have time". 

I struggle with this too with all my goals. I'm finding I need to pick a time and then be strict with myself, then I actually get the habit going.

It sounds like the first week went well.

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:26 PM, Jayniana Jones said:

Do you have a minimum time in mind for the daily goal? I found that knowing I only need to do a minimum of 5 minutes (or 10 minutes) of meditation makes it feel easier to "squeeze" into my day. That way, my brain doesn't say, "what? I have to set aside 30 minutes for meditation in addition to all the other stuff I need to do today. Are you crazy?"

Actually, you might have a point.  For the last challenge, I specified at least 10 minutes of meditation, and it was easier to just get on with it.  This challenge I left it open, and some of my Reiki meditations are longer, which makes me subconsciously not want to do any at all!  I will quantify this goal (again, at least 10 minutes) and carry on.   Thanks for the idea!

15 hours ago, Dagger said:

It sounds like the first week went well.

I think so, I was pleased all in all :D

10 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Getting started at the new gym sounds exciting – so many discoveries lie waiting! Hope it goes well!

Yes, very exciting, and it's going really well! :D 

I had my first session with a PT, which was spent mostly in checking my level of fitness and form without any free weights - which was a good thing, as I'm still rather unfit.  I liked his style and personality, and he was suitably impressed by my weight loss to date ;)  I still have rather sore quads and back (erectors spinae), which made the morning kettlebell swings rather challenging, so I'm debating whether to go to the gym today.  It could be good to rest, but if I miss it today, I won't be back until Wednesday, and I want to get my value for money!  OK, that really sounds idiotic! :D  It's important not to push myself too hard right at the beginning and burn out or get injured, so rest I will.  I'm still walking, and I might even do some extra kettlebells during the weekend - the gym is just the cherry on top!

I had a slightly weird experience the night after my intense session - I was IF-ing and had no dinner or any food before going to bed (I did have a light lunch before the gym).  I was feeling fine, even great, but then woke up around 1:30 am and couldn't go back to sleep for at least an hour and a half.  This is extremely unusual for me!  Some googling indicated it might be that my blood glucose fell too low, so my cortisol kicked in to facilitate gluconeogenesis, and the cortisol surge woke me up.  I did not think of checking my blood glucose during the period of sleeplessness, but before bed and first thing in the morning it was fine, if on the lower side (still not too low).  I wonder whether I should have a late night snack after an intense exercise session...?   I normally never snack, and a few days per week only have one meal - this form of Intermittent Fasting combines well with my ketogenic diet as I'm not hungry, and it helps me keep the carb/prot numbers down on average.  It is also most convenient for me to go to the gym on the days that I don't cook...  Something to think about!

• Like 1

Sounds weird alright, but I also wouldn't change anything due to one occurrence. If it happens again, and perhaps a third time is when you'd consider changing things up. Might have just been a fluke this one time.

8 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

It could be good to rest, but if I miss it today, I won't be back until Wednesday, and I want to get my value for money!  OK, that really sounds idiotic! :D  It's important not to push myself too hard right at the beginning and burn out or get injured, so rest I will.

Great job talking yourself out of pushing too hard! It is so easy to do when excited but often leads to heartache. Swing that kettlebell instead! :)

Sounds like you meet a PT that will work for you! That is great! I've read all about how people have to try several before they find one that works for them, but then there are always the lucky few! Share some of that luck, will you? ;)

• Like 1

On 10/7/2016 at 7:42 AM, Vibrantella said:

It could be good to rest, but if I miss it today, I won't be back until Wednesday, and I want to get my value for money! 

Hmm, sounds like we have similar decision making skills! Actually, I do things like this sometimes, but if possible, I try to go a bit easier so it's not so risky. Hopefully you're feeling better now, and ready to carry on!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Hopefully you're feeling better now, and ready to carry on!

Thanks, I am better even though not completely well.  I didn't go to the gym on Friday, and had a lovely 2-hour sleep instead before my choir practice.  I would have liked to go today but I have a blood donation appointment, and you're not supposed to do any vigorous exercise after donating.  Tomorrow I have extra hours at work, so it's going to be Weds as anticipated....

• Like 2