• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NY153

Building foundations

This is my third challenge. Basically, I will keep doing what I did in the previous one with small changes . My biggest struggle is changing my diet, so I will take a step back and make my goals less ambitious. During this week, on the break, I've fallen back into all my old habits and as the weather gets colder and colder I become less and less motivated to run. So I guess it will pay of just to focus on the same goals, making them into habits and don't add anything new yet.

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 3 x 4 points possible
  • Stretch/do yoga every day (7x/week) - 7 x 4 points possible
  • extra points possible for strength training (1 point/ training)

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 6 x 4 points possible
  • Limit sweets/snacks to 2/day + 1 healthy, home-made snack 7 x 4 points possible

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 22:20, 22:10, 22:00, 21:50 on first to forth week, respectively) - 7 x 4 points possible
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7 x 4 point is possible 
  • go to a hiking/biking tour - 100 or 0% depending on success or failure 
  • finish a course on edX - 100 or 0% depending on success or failure
  • submit the paper I am working on - 100 or 0% depending on success or failure

My motto for this challenge:

Looking for #Quotes, Life #Quote, Love Quotes, Quotes about Relationships, and Best #Life Quotes here. Visit curiano.com "Curiano Quotes Life"!:

• Like 7

I love your goals, especially your Level Up one to say something positive to yourself every morning. That can make all the difference in your day! It's a good habit to be in. I use to have positive quotes posted around my bathroom mirror. You also have a wonderful motto! Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NY153 said:

So I guess it will pay of just to focus on the same goals, making them into habits and don't add anything new yet.

Well said. I'll be doing the same this challenge. Gotta give time to grow, instead of jumping to something new. 

Do you unlock any loot for making a certain "grade" like in the last challenge? Do you find that to be motivating, generally? I'm thinking of trying that out for myself this time around.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PunchTonic said:

Do you unlock any loot for making a certain "grade" like in the last challenge? Do you find that to be motivating, generally? I'm thinking of trying that out for myself this time around.

We've got a bunch of reward ideas in the Juice Bar, and jessleigh had a really good challenge set up!

22 hours ago, NY153 said:

This is my third challenge. Basically, I will keep doing what I did in the previous one with small changes . My biggest struggle is changing my diet, so I will take a step back and make my goals less ambitious. During this week, on the break, I've fallen back into all my old habits and as the weather gets colder and colder I become less and less motivated to run. So I guess it will pay of just to focus on the same goals, making them into habits and don't add anything new yet.

My motto for this challenge:

Your motto is really nice! That's definitely going in my collection of motivational quotes.

Pacing yourself is really important, and I like how you've managed to identify ways to improve from each time. I keep getting tempted to just rush and try to implement all the challenges all at once, but that's not as sustainable. I'm also worried about starting to build a run habit this late in the year. The ParkRun in my city was around half as full as usual, which is around 300 less people running than there were in January/during the summer months. 

I'm sure you can do it!

• Like 2

Which 10k training plan are you using? I'm starting on one from runningshoesguru.com that looks really reasonable. Also, it sounds like you picked up some of your goals from NFA. :D

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind and encouraging words! :)

On 9/23/2016 at 3:41 PM, LucentFrost said:

One step at a time. :) Good luck!

Thank you! 

On 9/23/2016 at 4:34 PM, Rosie's Riveter said:

I love your goals, especially your Level Up one to say something positive to yourself every morning. That can make all the difference in your day! It's a good habit to be in. I use to have positive quotes posted around my bathroom mirror. You also have a wonderful motto! Good luck!

Thank you!

Actually, I tried and failed that quest in the last challenge and could not really feel any difference. I was aiming for a positive comment about myself, and it became obvious that on some mornings, I just cannot say anything positive about myself. This was even more frustrating. So in this challenge, I will say something positive about my life or my situation or just remind myself a motivational quote. I really like your idea about posting some quotes on the mirror. :)

On 9/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, PunchTonic said:

Well said. I'll be doing the same this challenge. Gotta give time to grow, instead of jumping to something new. 

Sometimes it is really frustrating that even though, I am really determined I cannot change as fast as I want to.  Good luck on your challenge too!

On 9/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, PunchTonic said:

Well, last time set my reward system as that I had to reach at least 80% to get any "prize". Close to the end when I saw that I wouldn't make it, it gave my the feeling that I am failing my challenge. So it was rather discouraging than motivating. So this time I just focusing just one day at a time, and see how it will add up by the end.

For some people, though, having a reward system works really well, so I definitely encourage you to try it, and let us know how it goes! :)

On 9/24/2016 at 2:05 PM, PhysicsObeysMe said:

Your motto is really nice! That's definitely going in my collection of motivational quotes.

I'm glad you found it inspiring too. :)

Pacing yourself is really important, and I like how you've managed to identify ways to improve from each time. I keep getting tempted to just rush and try to implement all the challenges all at once, but that's not as sustainable.

I know the feeling... I did that in my first challenge, and I had to give up half of my goals. 

I'm also worried about starting to build a run habit this late in the year. The ParkRun in my city was around half as full as usual, which is around 300 less people running than there were in January/during the summer months.

Well, I think I wouldn't start running this late, but I've been running (and loving it! :) ) for 7 weeks. I know it is still not a strong habit, but something I can build on. The temperature dropped about 10-15°C from one day to the other, leaving no chance for gradual adjustment. But I went shopping today, bought some running specific clothes, and I am determined to test them tomorrow morning! :)

Are you running as well?

I'm sure you can do it!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Which 10k training plan are you using? I'm starting on one from runningshoesguru.com that looks really reasonable. Also, it sounds like you picked up some of your goals from NFA. :D

I am using the same plan, and I can highly recommend it. It is very doable without any running/jogging experience. I hope it works out for you too.

Busted. :D Most of my level up life goals is from the quests from the NF character site.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, NY153 said:

Actually, I tried and failed that quest in the last challenge and could not really feel any difference. I was aiming for a positive comment about myself, and it became obvious that on some mornings, I just cannot say anything positive about myself. This was even more frustrating. So in this challenge, I will say something positive about my life or my situation or just remind myself a motivational quote. I really like your idea about posting some quotes on the mirror. :)

Well, last time set my reward system as that I had to reach at least 80% to get any "prize". Close to the end when I saw that I wouldn't make it, it gave my the feeling that I am failing my challenge. So it was rather discouraging than motivating. So this time I just focusing just one day at a time, and see how it will add up by the end.

For some people, though, having a reward system works really well, so I definitely encourage you to try it, and let us know how it goes! :)

I am using the same plan, and I can highly recommend it. It is very doable without any running/jogging experience. I hope it works out for you too.

Busted. :D Most of my level up life goals is from the quests from the NF character site.

Ugh, I have totally been there. Pick some of your favorite quotes and put them EVERYWHERE. My fridge is littered with inspirational magnets and they really do give me a little boost. <3

For a reward system, maybe have a consolation prize for under whatever set amount. Did I try? Was I thinking about my challenge, whether or not I did as well as I hoped? What I'm doing for a reward is a virtual race. My reward is going for a really long walk and getting a Harry Potter medal at the end. :)

Great!! I am doing a major re-do on my life, so it'll be fun to check in and see how you're progressing. I'm pretty competitive, so if you're getting through faster than I am, it'll light a fire under my butt. 

• Like 1

I am running, yep! I've been doing a ParkRun (which is 5k) every week since January, but I really want to start seeing some more gains in my PB, so I want to start running throughout the week as well. I use Zombies!Run, but I prefer to have the freedom of just running, than trying to force myself into interval training.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

I am running, yep! I've been doing a ParkRun (which is 5k) every week since January, but I really want to start seeing some more gains in my PB, so I want to start running throughout the week as well. I use Zombies!Run, but I prefer to have the freedom of just running, than trying to force myself into interval training.

It's all about finding the movement that makes you happy. I love Pokemon Go, so when I'm in an area that lends itself to happy hunting I am all about a nice walk. Once things are more sparse, I pick up the pace significantly. I'm still in walk mode, but I hope to eventually start jogging once some of my weight is off. :) 

15 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Ugh, I have totally been there. Pick some of your favorite quotes and put them EVERYWHERE. My fridge is littered with inspirational magnets and they really do give me a little boost. <3

For a reward system, maybe have a consolation prize for under whatever set amount. Did I try? Was I thinking about my challenge, whether or not I did as well as I hoped? What I'm doing for a reward is a virtual race. My reward is going for a really long walk and getting a Harry Potter medal at the end. :)

Great!! I am doing a major re-do on my life, so it'll be fun to check in and see how you're progressing. I'm pretty competitive, so if you're getting through faster than I am, it'll light a fire under my butt. 

I am collecting the quotes on Pinterest, but I guess it won't hurt to print out a couple and post them everywhere. Maybe it will motivate my hubby as well on a subconscious level. :)

Consolation prize sounds good, but there is a quest on NFA which requires a 100% grade on a challenge, and I REALLY want to mark that complete, so I am aiming for that! :D But on a more realistic note, I will check out the juice bar for inspiration on the consolation prize.

I was ment to ask what you ment by a Harry Potter medal, but in the meantime I found your post about Hogwarts Running Club. They look awesome! Some of the members here on the NF Forum organized an unofficial Annual NF Virtual Run. Have you heard about it? Unfortunately, I missed it, but they designed a cool logo and T-shirts, so I hope they will organize it next year too.

Good luck on your major re-do, I hope everything will go well for you!

14 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

13 hours ago, Koaladle said:

It's all about finding the movement that makes you happy. I love Pokemon Go, so when I'm in an area that lends itself to happy hunting I am all about a nice walk. Once things are more sparse, I pick up the pace significantly. I'm still in walk mode, but I hope to eventually start jogging once some of my weight is off. :) 

I always admire (and a bit envy...) people who can just go and do exercise for the fun of it. I've grown to love running and the effect it has on my body and health, but I still need a considerable amount of willpower to get out of bed and leave the house. The training plan keeps me accountable and makes me see the improvement.

I heard a lot about Zombies!Run, but never actually tried it. I hope it will help you to achieve your goals! Good luck! :)

On a side note: My warm running clothes were great today morning! They will be even better when the temperature drops a couple of degrees more.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NY153 said:

I am collecting the quotes on Pinterest, but I guess it won't hurt to print out a couple and post them everywhere. Maybe it will motivate my hubby as well on a subconscious level. :)

Consolation prize sounds good, but there is a quest on NFA which requires a 100% grade on a challenge, and I REALLY want to mark that complete, so I am aiming for that! :D But on a more realistic note, I will check out the juice bar for inspiration on the consolation prize.

I was ment to ask what you ment by a Harry Potter medal, but in the meantime I found your post about Hogwarts Running Club. They look awesome! Some of the members here on the NF Forum organized an unofficial Annual NF Virtual Run. Have you heard about it? Unfortunately, I missed it, but they designed a cool logo and T-shirts, so I hope they will organize it next year too.

Good luck on your major re-do, I hope everything will go well for you!

I always admire (and a bit envy...) people who can just go and do exercise for the fun of it. I've grown to love running and the effect it has on my body and health, but I still need a considerable amount of willpower to get out of bed and leave the house. The training plan keeps me accountable and makes me see the improvement.

I heard a lot about Zombies!Run, but never actually tried it. I hope it will help you to achieve your goals! Good luck! :)

On a side note: My warm running clothes were great today morning! They will be even better when the temperature drops a couple of degrees more.

POST THE QUOTES THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. They will surprise you by being what you need to hear, especially when you didn't know you needed to hear it. There's also the added bonus of usually having some kind of aesthetically pleasing landscape, so INSTA-DECOR!

I did not hear about it, but now that I know it's a thing I will keep an eye out for next year.

There are a LOT of activities that count as exercise that don't really feel like it. Housework and yardwork are my favorite time to sneak in squats, and since i hate doing dishes I turn it into a dance party. Almost any non-sitting activity can be exercise, so think a little about what you like to do and we can figure something out. It may even just boil down to "this bed is comfortable and I never want to leave" in which case I'm afraid to tell you that you're a totally normal human being. <3 In that regard, at least.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 0:27 PM, NY153 said:

So this time I just focusing just one day at a time, and see how it will add up by the end.

Sounds good - Thanks for the advice! I've always gotta try something out at least once before I decide either way. Here's my new thread for these 4 weeks, btw! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NY153 said:

I never really understood how or why people did it, and then my aunt started to drag me to this weekly ParkRun. And I'm a very competitive person, so I'm honestly doing this to beat her :P

It's also because that's the kind of person I want to be, so I figure, why not start now?

• Like 1

Just popping in to share something that helped me go out running in the cold: I filled up my water bottle with really hot water. It stops your hands freezing up when gloves alone won't do the trick. Hold the bottle to your chest or face to warm up if needed. And drinking warm water will help counteract all the cold air you breathe in (my asthma goes crazy when I breathe in the cold and I found this helped a lot!)

One litre should stay warm for about half an hour, but of course it depends on how cold it is. This really helped me get out of the house on zombie runs all through winter. To be fair, it was Australian winter, so no blizzards or anything, but still really cold!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Almost any non-sitting activity can be exercise, so think a little about what you like to do and we can figure something out. It may even just boil down to "this bed is comfortable and I never want to leave" in which case I'm afraid to tell you that you're a totally normal human being. <3 In that regard, at least.

:D Thanks for the suggestion, I will think about it. I had to wake up super-early today, so right now crawling back into bed is the only thing I can think of.

13 hours ago, PunchTonic said:

Here's my new thread for these 4 weeks, btw! 

Thanks for the link, I was looking for it. I will definitely step by to see how you are doing.

13 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

I never really understood how or why people did it, and then my aunt started to drag me to this weekly ParkRun. And I'm a very competitive person, so I'm honestly doing this to beat her :P

It's also because that's the kind of person I want to be, so I figure, why not start now?

Having someone to drag you and competitive nature always helps. :) Is it working, are you getting better than her?

5 hours ago, blackwidowwannabe said:

Just popping in to share something that helped me go out running in the cold: I filled up my water bottle with really hot water. It stops your hands freezing up when gloves alone won't do the trick. Hold the bottle to your chest or face to warm up if needed. And drinking warm water will help counteract all the cold air you breathe in (my asthma goes crazy when I breathe in the cold and I found this helped a lot!)

One litre should stay warm for about half an hour, but of course it depends on how cold it is. This really helped me get out of the house on zombie runs all through winter. To be fair, it was Australian winter, so no blizzards or anything, but still really cold!

Thanks for popping in and for the advice. Fortunately, it is not that cold that I need gloves. But in the late fall and winter the temperature tends to drop to 0 or subzero (°C), so I will try this.

I just wish someone would have a great trip against the dark. Hopefully I will be able to adjust to the cold, but I am afraid losing all my motivation when I supposed to get up, but it is still dark outside. Maybe some bright, sunny posters with motivational quotes will help. :)

1 hour ago, NY153 said:

Thanks for popping in and for the advice. Fortunately, it is not that cold that I need gloves. But in the late fall and winter the temperature tends to drop to 0 or subzero (°C), so I will try this.

I just wish someone would have a great trip against the dark. Hopefully I will be able to adjust to the cold, but I am afraid losing all my motivation when I supposed to get up, but it is still dark outside. Maybe some bright, sunny posters with motivational quotes will help. :)

You could try a headtorch! I sometimes wear one when I have to walk home late at night. It might look a bit goofy but your hands are free and even the relatively inexpensive ones are pretty comfy and bright :)

Yikes, good luck with the sub zeros! I'll try not to brag about the lovely summer I'll be enjoying ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackwidowwannabe said:

You could try a headtorch! I sometimes wear one when I have to walk home late at night. It might look a bit goofy but your hands are free and even the relatively inexpensive ones are pretty comfy and bright :)

Yikes, good luck with the sub zeros! I'll try not to brag about the lovely summer I'll be enjoying ;)

YES to the head torch! It's also a great tool to make sure you are seen in case you have to cross a street or something.

First off, sleep in as much of your running wear as makes sense; turn on the lights as soon as you wake up and pretend you're our of bed extra early specifically to look at the sunset while you jog. By the time you get back home, I'm sure the sun will be up just a little bit at least. Hopefully once we get to midwinter, you'll be used to the dark in the morning enough to power through.

Yes, I might need a head torch, thanks for the tip, @blackwidowwannabe and @Koaladle. Though, I run in a relatively well lit area so I didn't really mean the visibility issue, more like the psychological effect of starting the day before the Sun comes up. But I guess I just had to tough it out. I still have a couple up weeks to strengthen my morning running habit before it becomes an issue.

22 hours ago, blackwidowwannabe said:

I'll try not to brag about the lovely summer I'll be enjoying ;)

:D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NY153 said:

Yes, I might need a head torch, thanks for the tip, @blackwidowwannabe and @Koaladle. Though, I run in a relatively well lit area so I didn't really mean the visibility issue, more like the psychological effect of starting the day before the Sun comes up. But I guess I just had to tough it out. I still have a couple up weeks to strengthen my morning running habit before it becomes an issue.

:D 

I figured that could be part of it. 

On 9/27/2016 at 9:49 AM, Koaladle said:

First off, sleep in as much of your running wear as makes sense; turn on the lights as soon as you wake up and pretend you're our of bed extra early specifically to look at the sunset while you jog. By the time you get back home, I'm sure the sun will be up just a little bit at least. Hopefully once we get to midwinter, you'll be used to the dark in the morning enough to power through.

Do you think any of these are going to help? If not, I can do a little research and find other solutions. 

Insert other media

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NY153 said:

Ah, sorry I can't help you there, I haven't watched the sun rise in a long time and don't plan to start any time soon ;) Best luck, power to the morning people! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Koaladle said:

Do you think any of these are going to help? If not, I can do a little research and find other solutions. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the offer, but I Don't want to waste your time doing research on this.

Well I think sleeping in my running clothes would be too uncomfortable, but putting them together in the bathroom works fine. Switching on the light is not an option because I don't want to wake up either my husband or our dog. But I actually I love the sunrise, so it might be a good motivation. I've been adjusting my bedtime/get up time earlier and earlier gradually for the past couple of weeks, and I got used to it. So I hope it will be the same with the darkness. I think I just have to focus on the thought that sunrise is beautiful. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NY153 said:

I Don't want to waste your time doing research on this.

serious.jpg

If you need an extra brain, you are NOT wasting my time. If your current plan is working, that is fabulous, but even then a millisecond Google search, 10 second browse, and five minutes of reading are not a waste of my time. If it helps you reach your goal, the time spent is an investment not a waste! Where do you think you are, darling? An uncomfortably fancy department store? This is the Rebellion and we invest time in each other so we can build healthier, happier lives! <33

Assuming you meant to say "I got it for now, but thanks," I call call off the hounds... but until then

903.png

Sorry for the radio silence. I had a really busy weekend.

On 2016. 09. 29. at 4:35 PM, Koaladle said:

If you need an extra brain, you are NOT wasting my time. If your current plan is working, that is fabulous, but even then a millisecond Google search, 10 second browse, and five minutes of reading are not a waste of my time. If it helps you reach your goal, the time spent is an investment not a waste! Where do you think you are, darling? An uncomfortably fancy department store? This is the Rebellion and we invest time in each other so we can build healthier, happier lives! <33

You are being really kind, and super supportive, thank you very much! <3 Oh, and the dog image just made my day. :D

Yes, I think I am good for now regarding the adjusting to darkness. We'll see by the end of the challenge.

Week 1 update:

Overall it was a great week. 

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 3/3
  • Stretch/do yoga every day (7x/week) - 7/7
  • extra points possible for strength training (1 point/ training) - no extra points

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 5/6 
  • Limit sweets/snacks to 2/day + 1 healthy, home-made snack 7 x 4 points possible - 7/7 - Never exceed my maximum amount, and I even had a few days when I didn't eat any processed snack, only fruit. 

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 22:20, 22:10, 22:00, 21:50 on first to forth week, respectively) - 7/7 - This is actually the main focus of my challenge. Right now I have a pretty flexible schedule, but it is about to change in two weeks, so I really have to get used to getting up early and for that I need to be sleeping by as early as possible. 
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7/7 - As I said, I am focusing on general nice things not positive things about myself, so it is getting easier. Though, I don't really see the point of it yet. Browsing motivational quotes on Pinterest seems way more beneficial.
  • go to a hiking/biking tour - 100% - We went to 76 km long (bike) round-tour with my husband. Unfortunatelly, after we stopped for lunch (hence failing my eat home-made lunch quest), my bones in contact weet the saddle were so sore that I only managed to bike a few more kms. So I could not finish the roundtour, but still managed to bike 50 kms, just with a few short stops.
  • finish a course on edX - made progress.
  • submit the paper I am working on - many things are about to change, so I really should finish it before my life gets exponentially more complicated. On an intellectual level I know it, but still, I keep procrastinating. Haven't made any progress yet... I have to make it the focus of this week.

• Like 2

Quick W2 report:

In short, it was a complete catastrophe. I didn't accomplish any of my goals, didn't pay attention to my food, exercise, and sleeping habits. Basically, I went back to my old, reality avoiding, TV addict, lazy old self.

Here are the numbers: (I ignored my challenge so much that I forgot to record almost anything...)

Fitness quests:

• Stick to my 10K training plan (3x running/week) - 1/3
  • Stretch/do yoga every day (7x/week) - 3/7
  • extra points possible for strength training - none

Diet quests:

• Eat only home-cooked meal at least 6x/week - 2/6
  • Limit sweets/snacks to 2/day + 1 healthy, home-made snack - 2/7

Level up life quests:

• go to bed 10 min earlier each week for a months (by 22:20, 22:10, 22:00, 21:50 on first to forth week, respectively) - 2/7
  • say one positive thing to myself each morning in front of the mirror - 7/7
  • go to a hiking/biking tour - we went for a short hike 
  • finish a course on edX - haven't even made progress
  • submit the paper I am working on - it must be a success, I have no other option, but doesn't look good so far.

W3 looks better so far. I have already run twice, yesterday went to bed in time, and I am really determined to finish the first draft of my paper today. I have a feeling that when it is done, everything will get back to normal, and I will be able to focus on my other goals. Right now the paper has to be the priority at any cost. 

• Like 1