The Assassins' Den

Hazard

Anyone else find that cat mesmerizing? I think I've been watching it twirl for a few mins now...

• Like 11

Fitocracy  GoodReads  MyFitnessPal

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

21 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Anyone else find that cat mesmerizing? I think I've been watching it twirl for a few mins now...

I just wanna know what the hell it's looking at!

• Like 3

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

That bottle is like "FU Dude!".

• Like 1

Spoiler

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

HFC for Life!

Even your failed handstand is impressive @Machete!

• Like 2

Spoiler

HFC for Life!

So this morning I had light popping in my right forearm whenever I twist it (normal range of motion).  Now it's lunch time and I'm getting it much louder in my right arm.  This is sudden onset; I don't normally have problems like this.  It's not painful but I can definitely feel it.

I wonder if the hand problems I was having last night during my practice session has anything to do with it.

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

1 hour ago, Snickie said:

So this morning I had light popping in my right forearm whenever I twist it (normal range of motion).  Now it's lunch time and I'm getting it much louder in my right arm.  This is sudden onset; I don't normally have problems like this.  It's not painful but I can definitely feel it.

I wonder if the hand problems I was having last night during my practice session has anything to do with it.

What does your Doctor say about it?

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Haven't seen one yet, and the doctor facilities on-campus aren't really equipped for orthopaedics (that I know of).

An Internet search says it's nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't cause pain.  Because, you know, the Internet is the best doctor and knows everything.

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

11 hours ago, Snickie said:

it's nothing to worry about as long as it doesn't cause pain

That is most certainly correct. Also, if it appears suddenly without any obvious trigger, it will likely vanish just as sudden. Still, seeing a doctor is always the best (and actually only) way to be sure!

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

On 9/26/2016 at 8:13 PM, Machete said:

Monk will be multi-classing. Here's my failed handstand. Looks like I need more shoulder flexion.

Even Your failed attempts are still very impressive! I've been working on my handstands for a while now and was just wondering what your (and anyone else) training for them looks like. I mostly just try and walk and get as much "upside down" time as possible and then practice holds against the wall.

• Like 3

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

31 minutes ago, Ryuu1011 said:

Even Your failed attempts are still very impressive! I've been working on my handstands for a while now and was just wondering what your (and anyone else) training for them looks like. I mostly just try and walk and get as much "upside down" time as possible and then practice holds against the wall.

Thanks. I've mostly been doing shoulder taps and dislocates.

• Like 2

So, I could use some advice...

I've been inconsistently doing Stronglifts for 6 months. The first month was pretty consistent, then I tapered off (two workouts a week), stopped almost completely for a month...make that two, came back (two workouts a week), and started surging last month (2-3 workouts a week). Before Stronglifts I did a kettlebell swing workout (with some other bodyweight thrown in) and then did six weeks or so of hero's journey--back when the challenges were that long. I had a lot of success with the kettlebell and hero's journey--consistently losing cms every week. I know the fact that my measurements haven't really budged all that much with Stronglifts is likely because of the lack of consistency on my part, but now it's crunch time for me and I need to make some decisions. That's where I could use some help.

I've got my 5 year reunion coming up in 7 to 8 months and I intend to slay. To reach my ultimate (like forever) goal size I want to lose:

9.24 cm from my bust

23.68 cm from my waist

28.56 cm from my hips

Now am I saying that's where I want to be in 7-8 months? Maybe. Who knows. At the very least, I'd like to be within striking distance. So. Do I give Stronglifts a full shot--eat as clean as I was during the other two types of workouts, or do I start getting creative (i.e. Combining stuff, adding cardio or going back to what I was doing before). The very helpful @starsapart wisely told me that weight loss happens in the kitchen. Very good then; the clean eating I suppose will be a given. But beyond that...I could use your advice, team. 

• Like 1

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

80-90% of body composition is diet.  So if you're looking to make major changes, that's where you need to start.  It also doesn't take as much as most people assume; you can cut around 300cal a day by getting water instead of soda when you go out to lunch; the same or more if you order black coffee instead of a frapacinno.  Personally, I don't even consider "diet" options, as what research there is suggests that our bodies can't process most of the chemicals they use, sometimes leading to worse results.

If you aren't already tracking calories, I highly suggest it.  There's just no other way to understand what you're actually putting into your body.  I use Myfitnesspal, but there are plenty of apps, websites, etc to make it easier on you.

As for workouts, you should do what you enjoy.  There's no universally perfect workout plan and the best one for you is the one you'll stick with long term.  Three full-body strength sessions a week is plenty, and can be supplemented with HIIT, cardio, light yoga, etc on the off-days if desired.  The key to planning is to avoid overloading yourself so you don't get injured or burned out.

Introduce one or two new habits at a time; and make sure they stick before adding another.  "Quick 30 day fixes" don't work; you need gradual, long term lifestyle changes if you want to get, and stay, healthier.  And be honest with yourself.  If you've got a huge sweet tooth and will never truly give up candy (like me), look for healthier alternatives (dark chocolate with almonds = yum) and focus on moderation.  Forcing yourself to be miserable isn't a long term solution.

• Like 9

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Thanks so much! I really wasn't sure if anyone would bite! Yeah, I use and love MFP and am keeping under suggested calories for - 1lb a week (usually). If I'm not careful I tend to under-eat by a lot and make up for it later in the week. But I do wonder if doing more than that--being intentional about what I pack into those 1900 or so calories-- is required of me too. I do like greens and the like, I just have less time to prepare food than I did when I first started on NF. So usually it's whatever I can throw together/ is around. I haven't been a diet drink girl since the early 2000's 😂😂😂😂😂 If I never go back it will be too soon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shrilaraune

Assassin + Monk + Druid= Sage | Level 4

|| STR 8 || DEX 6 || STA 7 || CON 7 || WIS 10 || CHA 1 ||

"The average is the borderline that keeps mere men in their place.

Those who step over the line are heroes by the very act. Go." - Henry Rollins

|| My Story || Battle Log || Epic Quest ||

|| Challenges: Current4, 32, 1 ||

Affiliations:

|| Coming || Soon||

"Don't hate your body. It's just trying to keep you alive." - Starsapart

From the latest NF email/newsletter thingy:

On to the point of today’s email: we’re kicking off something new and different this month. Instead of sharing random fitness and nutrition articles with you, we’re declaring October “Bodyweight Training Month!” in the Nerd Fitness Rebellion. Yay for focus!

Our time has come, Assassins. Gear up!

• Like 10

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

21 minutes ago, Anim07734 said:

Isn't gearing up for bodyweight training kind of.. wrong? :playful:

By "gearing up" I of course mean "do pullups in a tree barefoot" ;)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

Isn't gearing up for bodyweight training kind of.. wrong? :playful:

Our time has come, Assassins. STRIP DOWN

• Like 11

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

13 minutes ago, tourennatrix said:

*wonders at the implications of mentioning this next capoeira class*...

I order you to proceed with this plan.

• Like 7

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1