• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

BWW Maintaining Momentum

OK so after completing my first ever 4-week challenge with a fair amount of success I'm all fired up for this one!

1) Less added sugar: last time I kept a tally of how many tsp of sugar I put in my tea, weetbix etc and the average was 25 per week. So I'm going to gradually reduce that max target by 1 tsp a week until eventually I'm having hardly any at all!

2) More water: I've really fallen off the rails with water intake lately so gonna give myself a kick up the butt and aim to have at least 1L a day.

3) No naughty snacks: This is an endeavour to make chocolate and lollies and stuff strictly a dessert thing rather than a whenever I feel like it thing. So all that stuff is basically forbidden until after dinner, and even then I'm going to be more careful about the dosage!

4) Do something: I've got a lot of busy days coming up, and I know I'm going to be less keen to work out on those days. So I'm encouraging myself to do something every day, even if it's not a full routine and just a dozen pushups or 30 sec of planks.

5) Main workout ever day: I'm still going to aim to do a workout or zombie run every day, or else the above quest could become an excuse to do not very much at all and I don't want to fall into that trap!

Good luck, everyone! :)

• Like 2

I've also revolutionised my tracking methods and thought I would share with you some pages from my brand new journal! Last time I had a food tracking notebook from Kikki K and I tracked everything else on various printouts of tables I made in MS Word. But that was all a bit scattered so now I have made a special book for myself where I can do it all in one place. The idea is this will keep me super accountable and help me reflect on trends and habits as I go along.

20160924_150729.jpg

This is an overview of the year where I'll write in whether I worked out on each day. The highlighted days are when parliament is on and I'll be super busy. I'll be able to see patterns of activity (eg if I'm slacking off too much on those busy days) and whether there are changes I need to make.

20160924_150744.jpg

Here's where I'm tracking my 4WC. The sharpie I used on the page before bled through a whole lot; lesson learned!

20160924_150754.jpg

Here's what I'm doing for a weekly spread. I'll track my food and drink on the left side of each page and workouts on the right. I've done a bar down the bottom where I think I'll track my sleep and work hours (really need to get more sleep these days!). The rest of the week is over the page, and there's a section for a weekly overview where I can make some verdict about how good I was, what needs to change and what I can build on.

• Like 2

That is a GORGEOUS journal! Do you already journal every night or is this going to be an additional habit that you're going to build?

I also love your challenges! Do you have the premium membership of Zombies!Run, or are you doing the 5k version? I love doing it, but it takes up so much space on my phone :(

You've got this!

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with how it turned out, now I just have to remember to use the darn thing! I've been doing daily tracking of food and exercise for a couple of months but sort of scattered over a couple of notebooks and various bits of paper. I'm hoping that having it all in one journal will make it much easier!

I've got both versions of Zombies Run but I've been mostly doing 5K recently. But it has been a while since I completed a mission since I've also been getting into Pokémon Go and it's nearly impossible to do both!

Good luck, guys!

I wish I could do both! Apparently some can, but as soon as I play Pokemon, it shuts down every other app. It also took up way too much battery, data, and space, and to my everlasting regret, I had to uninstall it :(

That's a real shame :( My boyfriend's phone can't handle it either so I'm often lending it to him while we go for walks

As for playing both, you tend to end up ignoring one anyway. Either you miss an awesome Pokémon because Sam told you to run, or you get eaten by zombies because you stopped to grab one! So you're not missing out on much :)

22 hours ago, blackwidowwannabe said:

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with how it turned out, now I just have to remember to use the darn thing! I've been doing daily tracking of food and exercise for a couple of months but sort of scattered over a couple of notebooks and various bits of paper. I'm hoping that having it all in one journal will make it much easier!

I love your journal spreads! :)

I was also overwhelmed on tracking things on different papers, notebooks, etc. So I decided to put it all in one journal. Currently it works for me! :) I hope it works for you, too!

The only problem I had was how to organize it so that I won't be confused as to where I'll put the water log, food log, sleep log, etc. but thankfully I managed. :)

I also love Black Widow btw. ;)

Thanks! So far it's working very well, but we're only a couple of days in so we'll see how it goes. I know what you mean about planning the layout, I spent a couple of weeks gathering ideas before I even bought a notebook.

Previously I kept my 4WC tracking sheet at work so I could update it through the day and my workout tracking sheet at home where I did my exercises. I kept my food tracking notebook in the car and made a rule that I had to update it before going anywhere, because that was the one I really struggled with, but it didn't work so well if I was in a hurry. Looking back I wonder how I managed at all!

Love your journal! I've been toying with the idea of starting a bullet journal recently after seeing a few people on here using them. It's interesting to see everyone's pretty journals (mine will not be that pretty!)

Thanks! I'd definitely recommend it, and don't worry about trying to make it too pretty! Mine's not exactly artistic; in fact if you look closely at my year overview I got April and May the wrong way around ;) As long as it does the job you want it to, it's a good journal. We're all about efficiency at NF!

I was doing so well but the universe just conspired against me yesterday so I didn't manage any exercise at all. I planned to go for a zombie run after work, but then I got a massive and exhauating batch of work in the afternoon and then had to head over to my grandparents' place to hook up their new TV, and by the time I finished making dinner I was just so knackered I spent the rest of the evening half asleep on the couch.

Lesson learned! On the one hand I could tell my body just needed a rest and I was right not to force myself to exercise last night. On the other hand, I think of all the energy I had in the morning! So my new plan is to achieve my Do Something challenge first thing every morning. That way, if it turns into a lousy day at least I'll have already done a handful of pushups against the kitchen counter so it won't feel like a total write-off!

OK,  I'm back in business! Managed pretty much three sets of the NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout. It wasn't quite a complete circuit, though, since I did half as many squats and lunges in the third set and I skipped jumping jacks altogether. Still good though!

Tomorrow some chums and I are going on a bushwalk of about 10K! Not gonna lie, I know it's gonna kick my butt, but it should be a fun day out anyway.

On 9/30/2016 at 5:41 AM, blackwidowwannabe said:

Lesson learned! On the one hand I could tell my body just needed a rest and I was right not to force myself to exercise last night. On the other hand, I think of all the energy I had in the morning! So my new plan is to achieve my Do Something challenge first thing every morning. That way, if it turns into a lousy day at least I'll have already done a handful of pushups against the kitchen counter so it won't feel like a total write-off!

Sounds like an exhausting day, and yet you still managed to do something, even if it wasn't what you had planned. But that's a nice alternative!

Congratulations on doing the exercise, and have fun at your bushwalk! :D

OK so it turns out the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is full of filthy LIES because that walk was 16km and I am so knackered. It was a nice day out, but my thighs and feet don't seem to agree. Very pleased I have the mext two days off to lie about and relax!

6 hours ago, blackwidowwannabe said:

OK so it turns out the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve is full of filthy LIES because that walk was 16km and I am so knackered. It was a nice day out, but my thighs and feet don't seem to agree. Very pleased I have the mext two days off to lie about and relax!

Sounds like it was a very fun day! :P But yep, the next two days sound like they will be very relaxing :D

It's the day after my trek and actually I don't feel too bad! Last night Boyfriend and I were pretty much comatose on the couch, but today I'm back to walking like a normal person. Might try a short workout later on but my thigh muscles and foot blisters might talk me out of it!

The thing I forgot to be proud of yesterday, because I only realised it today, is that I didn't need my ventolin at all! Even a few months ago it would've been unheard of. I'm not nearly as fit as I want to be, but I think all those zombie runs have definitely helped with my endurance! 

I realised recently that it's been about a year since I first joined up with Nerd Fitness. Not that I've been strictly focused on my fitness for a year; in fact I totally neglected it for several months at a time. Actually I'm probably 5kg heavier than I was this time last year, but do feel like I'm in a better position at the moment. I have a better idea of what works and what doesn't work for me, and as a result I have a much better overall game plan for becoming fitter. Here's hoping I have some better results this time next year! 

• Like 1

Wow, I've been so slack about checking in here! But happily I haven't been too slack with my challenge despite being so busy. I got to work early so I took some time to catch up on my journal tracking and thought I should share some interim results.

The only thing I have 100 per cent on is my sugar reduction challenge. I'm still really surprised by how easy it has been, but as I reduce my intake even further I expect that to change!

I'm doing quite well on my other food challenges too. Interestingly, the days when I haven't had my litre of water are also days I have had chocolate before dinner. Those were often days I made a conscious decision to make lazy choices, though, rather than just forgetting my challenge.

As for exercise, I've been doing a lot of really light movements. This is good overall for my 'do something' goal, but the main workouts are looking pretty weak. Again,  I expected this because of my busy schedule, so I'm not very disappointed, but it still doesn't look all that impressive on paper.

On 15/10/2016 at 0:20 AM, IAmInfinite said:

Supernatural is a large problem :P

It sounds like your doing really well on all of your challenges! Paper isn't the best for showing how you have improved and how you feel, so congratulations! 

I don't get to watch it til quite late in the evening (time difference and all that) so I'm just too sleepy afterwards even if it's not one of the more emotionally exhausting episodes (Sammy needs a hug!)

Paper also doesn't reflect improvementsin willpower! I have this "no chocolate until after dinner" challenge, which is going pretty well since I actually haven't had much access. I got rid of all the stuff I had at work and hid the bowl of M&Ms at the back of the fridge where I can't see it. But just now I was made an offer I couldn't refuse: when a federal senator comes into your office just to offer you some TimTams, it's pretty rude not to take one.

For the uninitiated, a TimTam is two chocolate biscuits filled with chocolate cream, which is then covered in chocolate and it's basically the greatest thing ever. Think a chocolate-dipped oreo. And now I have one sitting at my desk begging to be eaten, but I'm going to be a good girl and save it for dessert. Only four hours to go *sigh*

• Like 1