• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mahalak

the beauty is in the walking

Mahalak Gets Back in the Saddle

Unofficial goal: don't overdue it on setting goals!

Goals

Physical: jog a mile by the end of the challenge. 10/22?!

Meditation: Centering Prayer ten minutes daily

Life/Family

: Social Media Diet: not before 9am, not after 10pm

Let's do this thing!

I think you've managed to make your unofficial goal! Those are really good, and I like how you've managed to restrict your 'social media diet' ( that's an amazing way of describing it fyi). 

Are you planning on jogging the mile in sections throughout the challenge?

Thanks for the note, IAmInfinite! So far I'm feeling much thinner re SM! 

On the mile: I'll be building up to it, so in that way, yes, I'm doing it in sections. But the XP comes from one complete mile sometime during the challenge. I used to run a lot (finished 1 of 2 marathons) but it was a long time ago, and better knees. So I'm not looking to get into running again (although if it happens...), as much as pushing myself to do it. I walk about 4 miles a day.

Thanks, six1! Unfortunately, I wonder if I may need to dial it back or change it...went out for a walk-turned-jog this morning, and my knee really felt it. So I don't know if there is a way to moderate my goal. I already walk about 5 miles a day, so a run/walk doesn't seem like much of a stretch. But as of this morning, jogging a mile doesn't seem likely, fun, or wise! My other thought on a physical challenge was building up to 15 pushups a day (I currently do other strength things, but no pushups). 

I appreciate your checking in!

How are your challenges going?

Is it possible you can play around with your speed in the mile? For exampling running half a mile and then jogging the rest? Or you could always do one of those Couch-to-5K programs (I know that's more than a mile, but you can always stop the program once you've reached a mile). A popular program is Zombies,Run!, I'm hearing a lot of people mention it at the moment. I think they're both free as well. Up to you, though, you may not like stuff like that, which is fine. :) 

My challenge is going OK... I'm really craving chocolate though. :lol: I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms because I'm not having my daily pick-me-up when I'm sad. :P Oh well. 

On 9/29/2016 at 6:01 PM, six1 said:

Is it possible you can play around with your speed in the mile? For exampling running half a mile and then jogging the rest? Or you could always do one of those Couch-to-5K programs (I know that's more than a mile, but you can always stop the program once you've reached a mile). A popular program is Zombies,Run!, I'm hearing a lot of people mention it at the moment. I think they're both free as well. Up to you, though, you may not like stuff like that, which is fine. :) 

My challenge is going OK... I'm really craving chocolate though. :lol: I think I'm getting withdrawal symptoms because I'm not having my daily pick-me-up when I'm sad. :P Oh well. 

Hi, six1!

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, I'm somewhat torn. I think I want to jog a mile just to see that I can do it. Reason enough, I suppose. But I've found I'm more content as a walker than a jogger at this point in my life. At this point, I'm less about Jason Bourne and more "Tracks": one step at a time! So I think I was frustrated that I was feeling it in a place that's felt pretty bad in the past. 

As for your chocolate - maybe the secret is to not be sad! :P

14 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

How's your challenge going? Are you still aiming for the mile run?

Hi, IAmInfinite!

Waffling. Gave it a try jogging the other day and felt it in my knee rather quickly. I didn't want to set other things back that are going well by mucking things up. My rason for jogging the mile was largely just to see if I could do it...or really wanted to do it, maybe. For years I missed running, then years of not really doing aerobic stuff. Now I've been walking daily for years, and that seems to fit my time of life. So I have to decide if I really want it, or it is "just a thing." 

How goes your challenge?

If that's what you need, then that's what is good for you, and knowing this can only be a success.

How goes your meditation and social media diet?

My challenge was slightly waylaid by becoming ill this week, but still mildly successful. It can only get better from here!

On 10/2/2016 at 7:20 AM, IAmInfinite said:

If that's what you need, then that's what is good for you, and knowing this can only be a success.

How goes your meditation and social media diet?

My challenge was slightly waylaid by becoming ill this week, but still mildly successful. It can only get better from here!

I hope you are feeling better now than you were on Sunday, and so able to get back in the saddle.

I've been giving some thought to the alternating speeds idea. Thanks for that. It's funny: I don't want to start jogging. I just want to run/jog a mile, see I've done it, and carry on with life! Meditation has been spotty, unfortunately, as I feel called to it, say "give me a minute," and then poof, the day is over. The social media diet has been going rather well. Most of the time I catch myself before I start something, or at least I don't go too far down the path before I remember to stop. 

On 10/2/2016 at 6:52 AM, Mahalak said:

Gave it a try jogging the other day and felt it in my knee rather quickly

try jogging every day. Start with a  say a 100m or so and add a little every day till you make it to a mile

Woo hoo!

I summoned up my 20 seconds of courage, put the doubts and concerns about discomfort down, and said, "WTF" (not that colorful really. I'm not one to swear!). I had just left the gym, felt warmed up, the weather was nice. And off I went. It was slow, but it was a jog. And despite the realization that I'm going to feel it tomorrow, I jogged one mile! And a couple of Aleve later, I'm not feeling too bad! More importantly, challenge met! 

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. It was only a mile jog - but it was more than that for me. And you helped make it happen.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:46 AM, Mahalak said:

Woo hoo!

I summoned up my 20 seconds of courage, put the doubts and concerns about discomfort down, and said, "WTF" (not that colorful really. I'm not one to swear!). I had just left the gym, felt warmed up, the weather was nice. And off I went. It was slow, but it was a jog. And despite the realization that I'm going to feel it tomorrow, I jogged one mile! And a couple of Aleve later, I'm not feeling too bad! More importantly, challenge met! 

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. It was only a mile jog - but it was more than that for me. And you helped make it happen.

Well done! Happy for you! :) 

• Like 1