• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kvedulf

Kvedulf Rejoins the Rebels

Hi guys

I'm back with the Rebels. After last month's not so successful Challenge I took a step back and thought about things for a while. I realised I had made things too complex and difficult for myself and needed to go back to basics. So I've respawned and returned to the Rebels. Besides, we all know that the Rebels have more fun ;)

So this month I'm keeping it simple. No theme and only focusing on a few, smaller scale challenges. Without further ado:

1. Complete the NFBBW 2x per week

Complete the Star Wars workout 1x per week

2. Eat breakfast each day

Drink 2L of water each day

3. Meditate for five minutes each day

4. Complete one piece of assessment each week.

There we go. Nice and simple. Let's do this!

• Like 4

Back to basics is a common problem, but I'm glad you've found what went well and what didn't go so well. And you are 100% right, the Rebels have a lot more fun :D

Those are some great goals and here's to you smashing them!

• Like 1

Hello! I'm delighted to see you doing another challenge :D  And welcome back to the rebels. 

giphy.gif

I liked your samurai theme a lot, but you had a huge list of goals and I'm not surprised it started to feel overwhelming. After all, I was overwhelmed by far fewer goals, haha. Like you, I'm trying to get back to basics - but hey, if the bushido philosophy behind your old challenges was empowering and inspiring for you, there's nothing stopping you from drawing on those lessons and ideas even if it's not part of the theme.

How are your studies going btw? And how's the little man? Still reading I hope! :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kvedulf said:

Complete the Star Wars workout 1x per week

THERE'S A STAR WARS WORKOUT?!?!?!?! Need details ASAP. I will miss your samurai quest, but these goals are definitely simple and straight to the point. Following, obvs. You got this! 

@EternalJourno Here's the link to the Star Wars workout. Looks pretty cool and a nice change from the NFBBW: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/09/the-star-wars-workout-jedi-training-101/

@Severine The little man is still reading. Demanding stories in fact. And he's now developed a love for Star Wars story books. It's super cute. Studies are going slowly at the moment. Currently it's all about plant identification and taking proper plant samples. Is that a thing that gets covered in training in the US?

As much as I loved the samurai challenges, I realised that particular format wasn't something that was working for me any more. I've learned a hell of a lot from it, including a love of Japanese history and an understanding of the basics of Japanese cooking, but I needed to change up the Challenge.

• Like 4

On 9/26/2016 at 7:24 AM, Kvedulf said:

@Severine The little man is still reading. Demanding stories in fact. And he's now developed a love for Star Wars story books. It's super cute. Studies are going slowly at the moment. Currently it's all about plant identification and taking proper plant samples. Is that a thing that gets covered in training in the US?

As much as I loved the samurai challenges, I realised that particular format wasn't something that was working for me any more. I've learned a hell of a lot from it, including a love of Japanese history and an understanding of the basics of Japanese cooking, but I needed to change up the Challenge.

Glad to hear he's demanding books! And my little brother was deeply into Star Wars so I have a sentimental fondness whenever I see little kids getting into it - always reminds me of him. And there's plenty of fodder for the imagination in that universe. Good way to teach understanding and open-mindedness for different types of people, too. I mean, if yoda and the wookies can develop respect for one another, surely a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan can learn to co-exist ;)

My agriculture/horticulture training wasn't formal classroom stuff - both of my degrees are in other areas - so I learned through a combination of on-the-job training, internships, self-study, and assorted seminars and specific training sessions. So while I certainly learned those things in my training, I can't speak to the standard curriculum here. I would assume so, though. Plant (and insect) identification is a subject I enjoy geeking out about...there's something really satisfying about being able to walk through a field or forest and know what many or most of the plants are. It makes me feel like I'm seeing a more enriched and detailed version of the world than I would otherwise be able to see.

Kudos to you for setting aside something that wasn't working for you, even when it still held ideological or aesthetic appeal. I hope this new approach helps you shine :)

• Like 2

I will check everyone else's threads later, but I'm a little busy at the moment so I'll just do my week 1 recap for now:

1. Did a single workout. I am really not happy with my unreliability when it comes to working out. Its a combination of trying to find the time, not being exhausted, getting everything else done and feeling lazy. I really have to step up my game on this. 

1/3 points

2. I have had breakfast 5 days out of the week and got water drunk 4 days out of 7.

9/14 points.

3. Its hard to find meditation time with a sick partner and a teething toddler with tonsillitis :( Only 2 meditation sessions this week.

2/7 points

4. Got my assessment submitted. Still waiting for feedback but its done.

1/1 points

Total points: 13/25

• Like 3

On September 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Kvedulf said:

I feel like I've partly reached this state, but I'm not sure how to change my challenges to make them as affecting again. Maybe I've just gotten to the stage that the changes aren't as easy anymore and the format isn't the problem. (Random lightbulb moment, btw.)

I hope your loved ones get better soon. Life comes and interrupts sometimes and all we can do is the best we can with the circumstances we are given. Sounds like you are doing that.

• Like 1

Yo  @Kvedulf!! I hope your little one and partner is feeling better! 

My hubby and I have been time cramped for a while, that we now just try to fit in 10 minutes in one area daily.  For instance, I got to work 20 minutes early, so I just did squats and leaning push ups (using the counters) for about 12 minutes.  Next day I was home and did Bicep curls, planks, an triceps kick back for 14 minutes.  Anywho, its not much but its helped me feel like I'm getting something in for now. 

• Like 2