• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SkyGirl

The Scholar Corps

Greetings, fellow nerds! The Scholar Corps is an accountabilibuddy group that we began last challenge for Rangers who were starting, mired deeply in, or finishing university studies; but we decided this challenge that we'd like to open it up to all scholars from all guilds. Excelling in our studies while also balancing family, work, friendships, and self-care is a huge challenge, and we all need as much support as we can get!

A little about me - my name is Sky, and I am currently a Master's student, but I am in the process of following my dream and applying to a Ph.D. program in science communication. I work almost-full-time as a news writer and love it; I come from a large family with lots of siblings, and am very close with all of them; and I spend lots of time being the Gandalf to a lot of Pippin-and-Merry friends ... all of which means that my schoolwork has a lot of competition for my time. Part of the reason I joined NF was to learn how to fit health and fitness into that mix.

Last month, our group was very unstructured and sporadic, so this month, it was suggested that we could introduce a bit more purpose - something like a weekly check-in, particularly with projects or deadlines we could use a bit of accountability on. I like this idea and think it would be useful for some of the semester-long projects I'm procrastinating on; but anyone is welcome to disagree or disregard as desired.  :-)

Welcome and please jump right in!!

• Like 1

This sounds fun! For the weekly check-ins, would it just be people asking for accountability, or would we make it like a mini-challenge?

So, I'm Infinity, currently studying in the last year before university (which many say may be one of the hardest. Insert desperate laughter here). My exam results last year were appalling, and I'm scared that I'm not going to get any university offers. Ah well, I'm planning on taking a gap year anyway. I'm currently studying to do Physics and Philosophy at uni, but I don't really know what I want to do with the degree as I don't want to go into research, and I don't have any true career plans.

But yeah, that's me!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neeko said:

I'm following! I like the idea of structuring it more this time round!

Welcome, @Neeko! I'm glad you're here!  :-)  What @Vizzini and I had in mind was a weekly or biweekly check-in where we list some of our scholarly goals for the week (can be things like homework or projects, or could be things like writing a thesis, submitting an application, scheduling a meeting, etc.) that we need help staying accountable on.

For example, my big one is keeping up on reading my textbooks.  *pained grimace*  So my goals for this week (which I haven't formulated precisely yet) will mostly revolve around catching up with reading. And you guys can poke me every so often and be like "sooo, how's that there reading going, Miss YouTube Queen?"

Or more supportive if you like. You pick.  :-)

3 minutes ago, PhysicsObeysMe said:

This sounds fun! For the weekly check-ins, would it just be people asking for accountability, or would we make it like a mini-challenge?

So, I'm Infinity, currently studying in the last year before university (which many say may be one of the hardest. Insert desperate laughter here). My exam results last year were appalling, and I'm scared that I'm not going to get any university offers. Ah well, I'm planning on taking a gap year anyway. I'm currently studying to do Physics and Philosophy at uni, but I don't really know what I want to do with the degree as I don't want to go into research, and I don't have any true career plans.

But yeah, that's me!

I didn't know you were going to study Physics and Philosophy - a young man I admired very much in my undergraduate studies did just that, and he's currently pursuing his Ph.D. in some sort of lofty program ... you can totally combine the two!  :-)

I was kind of thinking of making it a mini-challenge but wasn't sure if that was too much structure ... what do you think? I've never done a guild mini-challenge before so I'm not sure how they work - are there a points system or rules?

3 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

I didn't know you were going to study Physics and Philosophy - a young man I admired very much in my undergraduate studies did just that, and he's currently pursuing his Ph.D. in some sort of lofty program ... you can totally combine the two!  :-)

I was kind of thinking of making it a mini-challenge but wasn't sure if that was too much structure ... what do you think? I've never done a guild mini-challenge before so I'm not sure how they work - are there a points system or rules?

Everyone always is really shocked when I say that's what I want to study :P They always ask, "How does it work? They're so different!" But its always fun to explain it to them. I just know that I need to be ready for my brain to regularly explode :D

For a mini-challenge, you can always make it optional, or put it up as a discussion point. "Week 2, discuss how difficult it is to stay on track of work. List a tip." Or something like that. PvP is also always fun, whether you pair people up and see who can do the most work over the course of the challenge, or have everyone band together to beat the study monster!

53 minutes ago, IAmInfinite said:

Everyone always is really shocked when I say that's what I want to study :P They always ask, "How does it work? They're so different!" But its always fun to explain it to them. I just know that I need to be ready for my brain to regularly explode :D

For a mini-challenge, you can always make it optional, or put it up as a discussion point. "Week 2, discuss how difficult it is to stay on track of work. List a tip." Or something like that. PvP is also always fun, whether you pair people up and see who can do the most work over the course of the challenge, or have everyone band together to beat the study monster!

All of those options sound like fun! Let me go look at past examples of mini-challenges and PvPs and see which would be more appropriate for our challenge - please offer suggestions as you have them!!  :-)

7 minutes ago, Artemis Fernweh said:

Can I join?

Absolutely yes!! Please do! Welcome! The more the merrier!  :-D

Sweet! Okay, I'm Artemis and this is my last semester of undergrad courses. Currently I'm in a dual degree program where I'll get my bachelors and masters together when I graduate. And I have some of the worst study habits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis Fernweh said:

Sweet! Okay, I'm Artemis and this is my last semester of undergrad courses. Currently I'm in a dual degree program where I'll get my bachelors and masters together when I graduate. And I have some of the worst study habits.

Welcome to the Corps, @Artemis Fernweh! So are you in the last year of undergrad before starting your master's work, or are you almost done with your program? Do you mind if I ask your major?

Also, you cannot possibly have the worst study habits, because I currently hold that official title ... again, partly the reason why I created this group!!

Also, @Rhovaniel, we're having the same issues with notifications again ... @Rurik Harrgath, can you help us figure out why some of us never get notifications on these acountabilibuddies threads even when we've set all our notifications? I only get notifications here when someone tags or quotes me.  :-/  (And also, both of you are invited to participate again, of course ...)

• Like 2

Hello everyone! Looking forward to seeing how this group evolves. :)

My main thing right now is study for a dauntingly thorough Maths class, but I'm honestly trying to re-learn all of the basics. Middle through Highschool were bad times in my family, so despite getting good grades at the time, most of that learning has pretty much evaporated and dang it, I want to get it back. I'm taking a lot of online classes, but it's all largely self-directed. Normally that would be fine, but some other issues are making it difficult for me to operate on my own. Also learning languages (French, Spanish, Italian, and ASL) as well as code (HTML and CSS for now), but at some point will need to branch out to History and Sciences as well just to get my overall knowledge rounded out.

• Like 4

Oh my, @MiaulinTheCat, you're just doing ALL the things! If there's anything I could help math related, let me know! I'm pretty good with most things as long as it's not calculus level. Algebra is my specialty it would seem.

I'm in nursing classes right now, that consume my life, as well as a microbiology course. Those are what I'm going to be focusing on for the time being.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Artemis Fernweh said:

Yeah, it's the last semester before I start my master's stuff. My major is accounting. You might currently hold the title for worst study habits but I am in the running.

Ugh ... save yourself ... let me stay on top. It's a record you don't want!!

VWKka.gif

(ironically dual meaning)

4 hours ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

Hello everyone! Looking forward to seeing how this group evolves. :)

My main thing right now is study for a dauntingly thorough Maths class, but I'm honestly trying to re-learn all of the basics. Middle through Highschool were bad times in my family, so despite getting good grades at the time, most of that learning has pretty much evaporated and dang it, I want to get it back. I'm taking a lot of online classes, but it's all largely self-directed. Normally that would be fine, but some other issues are making it difficult for me to operate on my own. Also learning languages (French, Spanish, Italian, and ASL) as well as code (HTML and CSS for now), but at some point will need to branch out to History and Sciences as well just to get my overall knowledge rounded out.

Good night, @MiaulinTheCat, you ARE doing all the things!! I had no idea! Wow - I'm so proud of you! Yes yes, please, come on into our little huddle and take a seat - we wouldn't want to start this month without you!!

lotrdrink1.gif?w=480&h=200 

• Like 1

aragorn-opens-double-doors.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist a dramatic entry :D 

Hi Everyone! It's so good to see new people here, and I love the idea of a more structured core. I am gonna need it!

Tomorrow is the first day of my last year as an undergraduate. I honestly feel a little sad about that, because time has simply flown by me. I study History with Creative Writing as a minor, though I love the two subjects equally. This year is going to require a lot of organisation, something that does not come easily to me. I've seen you discussing bad study habits, but I claim that particular crown. Reading articles in the corridor outside class, asking friends what the reading was about, staying up till the small hours to finish an essay with the deadline looming.... that was me. But it can't be me this year. My creative writing class has a really cool project: a 10,000 word prose piece. So, I'm gonna start a novel! The freaky part is that I will actually be graded on this thing and have it count towards my degree.... plus, my 10,000 dissertation, which is going to take an awful lot of research. I'm studying male attitudes towards courtship in public spaces in the 18th Century if anyones curious. Don't ask about the writing project yet - I don't know, and I have two days to figure it out! So, with the possibility of continuing into further study.... it's time for Rhovaniel to hit the books (and balance a healthy lifestyle!)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

... @Rurik Harrgath, can you help us figure out why some of us never get notifications on these acountabilibuddies threads even when we've set all our notifications? I only get notifications here when someone tags or quotes me.  :-/ 

Are you set to following the thread with notifications turned on?  I never use notifications beyond being quoted or mentioned (otherwise my forum UI would explode) so I'm not an expert.

21 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Hi Everyone! It's so good to see new people here, and I love the idea of a more structured core. I am gonna need it!

Tomorrow is the first day of my last year as an undergraduate. I honestly feel a little sad about that, because time has simply flown by me. I study History with Creative Writing as a minor, though I love the two subjects equally. This year is going to require a lot of organisation, something that does not come easily to me. I've seen you discussing bad study habits, but I claim that particular crown. Reading articles in the corridor outside class, asking friends what the reading was about, staying up till the small hours to finish an essay with the deadline looming.... that was me. But it can't be me this year. My creative writing class has a really cool project: a 10,000 word prose piece. So, I'm gonna start a novel! The freaky part is that I will actually be graded on this thing and have it count towards my degree.... plus, my 10,000 dissertation, which is going to take an awful lot of research. I'm studying male attitudes towards courtship in public spaces in the 18th Century if anyones curious. Don't ask about the writing project yet - I don't know, and I have two days to figure it out! So, with the possibility of continuing into further study.... it's time for Rhovaniel to hit the books (and balance a healthy lifestyle!)

You're going to love those projects!! I would love, love, love to read your article on male attitudes toward courtship in public spaces - I just think that's so cool!!

What I keep telling myself is that taking care of my body will help my mind to be sharp and help me work more productively in school ... that's kind of what I'm hoping to find out with my monthly challenge, so I'll let you know how it goes!  :-)

8 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Are you set to following the thread with notifications turned on?  I never use notifications beyond being quoted or mentioned (otherwise my forum UI would explode) so I'm not an expert.

Yeah, that makes sense, you probably get a lot more notifications than I do ... I am following with notifications on, but I still only get them when I'm quoted or mentioned too. I'll keep looking.

For now, we should probably all make sure we tag or quote people if we're needing to ask a specific question!

• Like 1

On 9/25/2016 at 8:47 PM, Neeko said:

Oh my, @MiaulinTheCat, you're just doing ALL the things! If there's anything I could help math related, let me know! I'm pretty good with most things as long as it's not calculus level. Algebra is my specialty it would seem.

I'm in nursing classes right now, that consume my life, as well as a microbiology course. Those are what I'm going to be focusing on for the time being.

Ayup! ^_^ I've found that if I can get into any studying enough to have a specific goal for it, it's really good for keeping occupied. :3 Algebra never fully 'clicked' for me, something about the letters never 'clicked', so I always wind up going, "Why this letter, specifically? Why use X and Y? Would it still be correct if it was, say, a cat picture instead of a letter? I don't? Understand?" :P That's so cool that you're good at it, though! I might really have to consult your wisdom!

A great big "Thank You" to you for the nursing classes, Neeko, nurses deserve all the appreciation. <3

On 9/26/2016 at 0:03 AM, SkyGirl said:

Good night, @MiaulinTheCat, you ARE doing all the things!! I had no idea! Wow - I'm so proud of you! Yes yes, please, come on into our little huddle and take a seat - we wouldn't want to start this month without you!!

lotrdrink1.gif?w=480&h=200 

Thanks, SkyGirl! I wrestle with being embarrassed about it since a lot of it is stuff I should have learned years ago, but have decided at this point doing something about it is a good thing. ^_^

On 9/26/2016 at 1:11 AM, Rhovaniel said:

tumblr_inline_n3w1d7yTvN1r1t3be.gif

On 9/26/2016 at 1:11 AM, Rhovaniel said:

History and Creative Writing just sounds like a wonderful combination. <3 If the writing from your story-segments last Challenge is anything to go by, you're going to do great on your assignment! I mis-read at first and got mixed up, thought that your dissertation topic was your novel idea. (Which, would probably work actually) That's a lot of writing to do, and amazing that you juggle all of this. I hope you get a great idea for your novel!

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 2:47 AM, Neeko said:

Ooh, maths things. My maths is currently my weakest subject. I understand the topics, but then trying to apply it into anything that the exam board actually want, nope, my mind doesn't seem to be very able to bend in such creative ways. 

So, my studying has been alright so far this year, as in I'll do at least half an hour at home. But I free hours in school, and I do utterly nothing! It's quite discouraging, but I'm not allowed to leave school grounds and find some nice quiet coffee shop to work in :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Ooh, maths things. My maths is currently my weakest subject. I understand the topics, but then trying to apply it into anything that the exam board actually want, nope, my mind doesn't seem to be very able to bend in such creative ways. 

So, my studying has been alright so far this year, as in I'll do at least half an hour at home. But I free hours in school, and I do utterly nothing! It's quite discouraging, but I'm not allowed to leave school grounds and find some nice quiet coffee shop to work in :(

I feel you! It's one of my weakest, too. Science is the weakest, though. I like being told what the math is actually for, how to use it in practical applications. Doing something with it makes it easier to go, "Oh, okay, that's how that works!" May I ask what kind of math you're having to do? Applying it to things for an exam board sounds scary.

This is a bit off-the-wall as a suggestion, but is there anyway you can get somewhere reasonably quiet within the school and maybe use some headphones? There are websites that do nothing but play ambient noise, including coffee shop sounds, if you have a way to access them. But even if not, it's great that you've you been studying at all! Even half an hour is way better than nothing! :)

I'm in the middle of trying to break down all of my Necessary Studying into smaller pieces, stuff with super-clear objectives. Having a 'project' of sorts to work toward will make me feel way better...if I don't get myself too distracted trying to figure out what the objectives should be! :P

I like it when I have equations, and I have the numbers. I don't like having to use three other formulae from other topics and some how getting them to equate so im using an entirely different set of numbers and still have to get the answer?

There is one place in school I head to tomorrow to study, so I shall try it out. If not, I shall have to try another method of anti fragility!

• Like 2

Argh the notifications strike again! Sorry - good job I remembered to check in here on the whim...

I am almost through my first week back at uni, and honestly, I've fallen in so well with it that I realise I'm one of those weird people that do not get on well with summer, in terms of a long break. I had my last exam for second year in May. I went back this week. Too long for me. My creative writing project is sort of coming along: I have two, very different, ideas and have basically got my tutor's blessing to write 1,000 words of each for my next workshop and use the two weeks till the next class to figure out which to go for. 

I also seem to be struck by an invading army of destroyers and pillagers who are currently hacking and slashing at my body. Dealing with that is fun, in a "I wonder what's coming next, heartburn or nausea?" way. Last night I slept propped up on so many pillows I was basically sitting upright because that was the only way to ease the heartburn. But this evening, it seems to have tailed off, and I got my workout in, so I'm hopeful tomorrow will be better.

Even dealing with that though, I used a double 20 seconds of courage to do the unthinkable at uni today - agreed to have my photo taken for the Humanities module pages, to replace the cheesy, definitely not students images currently there. One to agree to it in the first place (I have no idea why I said yes, perhaps because said invading army temporarily struck my brain) and the second to actually go through with it and pose for the damn thing - in the middle of the corridor. I didn't want go back on my word after saying I'd do it, but I did want to slink away or have them say I wasn't needed). But it got done and I only thought it was the worst thing I've ever done for about half an hour. Progress... 

SO that was me. How is everyone else getting on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Argh the notifications strike again! Sorry - good job I remembered to check in here on the whim...

I am almost through my first week back at uni, and honestly, I've fallen in so well with it that I realise I'm one of those weird people that do not get on well with summer, in terms of a long break. I had my last exam for second year in May. I went back this week. Too long for me. My creative writing project is sort of coming along: I have two, very different, ideas and have basically got my tutor's blessing to write 1,000 words of each for my next workshop and use the two weeks till the next class to figure out which to go for. 

I also seem to be struck by an invading army of destroyers and pillagers who are currently hacking and slashing at my body. Dealing with that is fun, in a "I wonder what's coming next, heartburn or nausea?" way. Last night I slept propped up on so many pillows I was basically sitting upright because that was the only way to ease the heartburn. But this evening, it seems to have tailed off, and I got my workout in, so I'm hopeful tomorrow will be better.

Even dealing with that though, I used a double 20 seconds of courage to do the unthinkable at uni today - agreed to have my photo taken for the Humanities module pages, to replace the cheesy, definitely not students images currently there. One to agree to it in the first place (I have no idea why I said yes, perhaps because said invading army temporarily struck my brain) and the second to actually go through with it and pose for the damn thing - in the middle of the corridor. I didn't want go back on my word after saying I'd do it, but I did want to slink away or have them say I wasn't needed). But it got done and I only thought it was the worst thing I've ever done for about half an hour. Progress... 

I know, those darn notifications!! I accidentally toggled on emails for the mini-challenge, so my inbox has been blowing up with those all day, yet I get nothing from here! Dreadful!

I'm so glad that school is feeling good and you're excited to be back! Your writing goals sound delightfully ambitious - I'm so proud of you!  :-)

Ugh, I'm sorry about the heartburn/nausea! That's such a drag!  :-(  I do hope you feel better today!

And woohoo on getting your picture taken for such a public page! That DEFINITELY takes nerve - I'm, again, terribly proud of you! Your uni SHOULD be proud of you!  *fistbump*

I had a wonderful, wonderful meeting with my dear graduate advisor today, whom I love so much ... we mapped out a plan of study for my new program; he bashfully agreed to be on my graduate committee; and it looks like I only need to turn in a few papers to be admitted into the program, not the whole huge application I was laboring through! So exciting!!

Now, off to do stats homework ... NOT spend all night on my narratives (*cough cough*) ...

• Like 2

On 9/27/2016 at 3:13 PM, MiaulinTheCat said:

I feel you! It's one of my weakest, too. Science is the weakest, though. I like being told what the math is actually for, how to use it in practical applications. Doing something with it makes it easier to go, "Oh, okay, that's how that works!" May I ask what kind of math you're having to do? Applying it to things for an exam board sounds scary.

This is a bit off-the-wall as a suggestion, but is there anyway you can get somewhere reasonably quiet within the school and maybe use some headphones? There are websites that do nothing but play ambient noise, including coffee shop sounds, if you have a way to access them. But even if not, it's great that you've you been studying at all! Even half an hour is way better than nothing! :)

I'm in the middle of trying to break down all of my Necessary Studying into smaller pieces, stuff with super-clear objectives. Having a 'project' of sorts to work toward will make me feel way better...if I don't get myself too distracted trying to figure out what the objectives should be! :P

This is one of my favorite noise generators:

https://mynoise.net/

It has a huge variety of sounds!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

YAY UNI! I hope you have a wonderful year and accumulate lots of great memories of this time. <3 I know what you mean about holidays! I don't do well at all with long stretches of free time to do my own thing. Much prefer having specific things to do.

Image result for sherlock give me work

As for your heartburn and nausea, and feel free to throw fish or bricks or something at me for going all unsolicited Mom-ish, is there any possibility you're having an allergic reaction to something? Dairy gives me pretty much the same symptoms when consumed more than a couple of times in close succession. Whatever it is, I hope you can get to feeling better soon! Learning and studying is just no fun with ailments thrown in. *Hugs*

CONGRATULATIONS on your 20 Seconds of Courage! Getting your photograph taken (especially voluntarily!) is such a brave thing to do! You're awesome!

15 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I had a wonderful, wonderful meeting with my dear graduate advisor today, whom I love so much ... we mapped out a plan of study for my new program; he bashfully agreed to be on my graduate committee; and it looks like I only need to turn in a few papers to be admitted into the program, not the whole huge application I was laboring through! So exciting!!

Now, off to do stats homework ... NOT spend all night on my narratives (*cough cough*) ...

Congratulations on your meeting! It's always great to hear of good teachers and advisors. <3 Fantastic that you've got a pan, too!

--

I finished sorting my Educational Resources, but the biggest thing is I FOUND A MATH COURSE ON MEMRISE. THAT WILL HELP ME. WITH THE FRICKIN' TIMES TABLES. Ugh I'm twenty years old I should know these. I used to, but they're one of the many things my brain deleted during bad situations. U_U But now I've found a way to re-learn them praise God from whom all blessings flow it's so exciting. <3

• Like 1