INCONCEIVABLE!!! - Blaze trains to be the next Dread Pirate Roberts

Blaze

I think I used the Princess Bride for theme in ages past.  Who cares?  It's a brand new challenge, and I'm coming off a win for a change.  Stayed with it for the whole challenge, didn't fizzle out at the end and officially leveled up and earned money for my Motiva-ca-tion Fund (it's a savings account now, not just a jar ^_^).  I've been in the Assassin's Guild for ages before the Adventurers became official (SOOO looking forward to the Assassin's Creed movie coming up), so I have an affinity for men in black.  If I ever hope to follow in the footsteps of my favorite man in black - The Dread Pirate Roberts aka Westley - I need to continue my training in the proper direction.  

Goal 1- Scale the Cliffs of Insanity!

tumblr_nwy6xjBLvz1sdb26no1_500.jpg

I have bought and paid for at least five trips to Adventure Rock, and they've opened a second gym that is shiny new and awesome, and much closer to me than the other location.  I've had some back issues this summer, but I've been pretty solid for at least the past 6 weeks, so I think I'm ready to start climbing again.  I'm nowhere near 'Insanity' level, but i gotta start somewhere, right?  - Go climbing four times - BOUNTY = $10

Goal 2 - Defeat the R.O.U.S.'s  

princess-bride-wesley-vs-rodents-of-unus

I know of no Rodents of Unusual Size in my neighborhood, though of course they DO exist.  That's why my R.O.U.S.s are Regions of Unusual Shambles.  I'm really quite a messy person with a lot of crap that I need to get rid of.  This seems like more of a 'life goal' than a diet and fitness goal, but it's really not.  Housecleaning burns calories same as any other fitness activity, and it comes with the added bonus of making my home a better place to work on all my other goals.  It's hard to do a work-out in the living room when you can barely walk through it.  Hard to cook a healthy meal when you can't find the counter, or clean dishes for that matter.  Yes, I suck.  I go in cycles on the cleanliness of my apartment and right now I'm on the bottom end of the cycle, my nadir.  I can't promise that at the end of the month everything will look House Beautiful, but I intend to make the improvements noticeable.  I'll post before and after picture of each R.O.U.S. that I'm tackling.  Since this goal needs some extra motivation for me to do, I'm upping the bounty, but I also increased the number from four to five so I get extra improvement for my dollar. - Take down five R.O.U.S.s = BOUNTY = $20

Goal 3 - Survive the Pit of Despair

ThePrincessBride_TheTortureMachine_thumb

I joined a new gym.  I went to it quite often for my last challenge but not at all during my week off.  The machines at the gym aren't as bad as the machines in the Pit of Despair, but sometimes I feel a bit like Wesley being tortured.  Regardless, that's no excuse not to go.  The more often I go, the stronger I'll get, torture or not.  - Workout at the gym 10 times - Bounty = $10

Goal 4 - Follow advise from Miracle Max and Valerie

Miracle-Max-in-action.jpg

Miracle Max and his lovely wife Valerie are way older than most people living in Florin.  Why?  I think it's because they eat right and they enjoy food.  Max appreciates a good MLT, when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomatoes are ripe.   And Valerie wisely knows that a little chocolate helps things go down better.  Last challenge I was trying to track my food, which is an important strategy on Weight Watchers.  But I really really really hate tracking my food.  That's why I'm excited to try a different technique that Weight Watchers offers.  It's called Simply Filling and it's basic foods are listed here if you're interested.  

9e99e1a8bf6458cde9c6c808d9dbafb3.jpg

So I'm looking to follow the plan, with a couple of allowances in the chocolate/sweets variety to help it go down better.  I have sugar-free pudding to go with the sugar-fee gelatin, fat free Cool whip, and some fat free cream cheese to help expand my dessert options.  I hope to make a few low point goodies to keep me on track.  And the plan does allow for 7 points worth of food that doesn't fit the plan per day which can be banked over the course of a week for special occasions (49 points per week), so I'm going to work that to allow for treats here and there.  Follow the Simply Filling technique at least 16 days - BOUNTY = $10

BONUS

Have Fun Storming the Castle!

65e604cb1c858fece66d5687e7414d52.jpg

Just like last time around with the Treat Yo Self bonus quests, I've chosen some other activities that can earn me extra bounties along the way,

EXPLORE! - $1 for every new place I visit and explore

SLEEP! - $1 for 5 nights of at least 7 hours of sleep

FLOSS! = $1 for 5 nights of adding flossing to my bedtime routine

DRINK! = $1 for 5 days of drinking at least 64 oz of water 

COOK! = $1 for each new recipe I try

CHECK-IN = $1 for 5 times checking in on my progress

MINGLE = $1 for 3 times liking or commenting other people's challenge threads.

PLANK = $1 for 5 minutes of planking.

• Like 6

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

First check-in.  Not doing my diet plan today, but I did go climbing at the new gym and did pretty darned good.  Those walls were intimating, but not so bad once I got on them.  Climbed seven walls, eight climbs, and made it to the top on three climbs.  All the walls were 5.5 or 5.6, and I did totally make it to the top on a 5.6.  On two much higher 5.6's I made it at least 2/3 of the way up, and there's a 5.5 with an overhang that I think I could do if I tried it first while I'm fresh.  Yay!  As some people know, I also liked or commented on the threads of three fellow adventurers, so that's $1 for my Motive-ca-tion Fund!

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Loving your challenge, following

• Like 1

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Checking in!  Yesterday I endured some torture at Pit of Despair - aka my gym.  Went well enough, but isn't always the way that the last machine you need to use is always occupied.  I kept to my eating plan yesterday and most of today, right up until this evening, which was not unexpected.  We had a work-sponsored event immediately after work so if I wanted to eat my choices were limited - to pizza, quesadillas, brownies and whatnot.  I had veggies and dip too! So it wasn't all bad.  And I didn't go back for seconds either. ^_^  I've also done a little bit of cleaning, an opening salvo against the vicious R.O.U.S.s infesting my apartment.  Good news all around!

Question - My fitness club is having some kind of fall challenge for 10 weeks, starting on Saturday.  Whoever wins the greatest percentage of their starting body weight wins.  Five top prizes for non-PT members and other prizes for those with PTs.  During the contest, I think they give out some tips and meal plans.  And there's a party at the end for all participants.  It costs $25-ish to join and I'm confident that I won't win, but maybe if I joined it would keep me going in the right direction.  So the Question is - is it worth it?  I'm new to this gym.  Has anybody done something like this before?  What do you think?  I need to sign up by the 29th if I'm going to do it.

PS I should really try to Plank tonight, or tomorrow morning bright and early.  Is there ever a good time to plank?

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Tried out some recipes tonight - one was just me improving on something I'd already done before but was missing a couple things.  Still turned out okay - just a black bean and corn salsa for snacking.  And I started a recipe for Simply Filling friendly potato salad, but again I was missing a couple ingredients I thought I had.  I put that aside to finish up tomorrow night and I'll report back later.

But the best news of the day was this.  I got to move one of my marbles from the 'Lose It' jar to the 'Lost it'Jar.  That's always nice. ^_^  And to celebrate, I'm posting this Farm Boy picture, because I can.  

tumblr_m5z5vbYrlU1qzrfmk.jpg

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Following along! I too have some Rous's to beat, but for me it's Ridiculously Over-stuffed Unneeded Shite-Storage focus= clothing. I have way too much and I hate the laundry cycle of wash-dry-putaway (particularly the last step) so I end up living out of the clean hamper, or even the dryer...   

Great goals and great theme! loving the cash incentive too :) 

In regards to the gym challenge I'd say go for it! I'm doing a 12week challenge at the moment at my gym and really enjoying it! $25 sounds very reasonable too depending on the support you'll get from it!

c7a7b95a2c6706483b4155aea22fff07.jpg

• Like 2
On 9/27/2016 at 11:29 PM, Blaze said:

Question - My fitness club is having some kind of fall challenge for 10 weeks, starting on Saturday.  Whoever wins the greatest percentage of their starting body weight wins.  Five top prizes for non-PT members and other prizes for those with PTs.  During the contest, I think they give out some tips and meal plans.  And there's a party at the end for all participants.  It costs $25-ish to join and I'm confident that I won't win, but maybe if I joined it would keep me going in the right direction.  So the Question is - is it worth it?  I'm new to this gym.  Has anybody done something like this before?  What do you think?  I need to sign up by the 29th if I'm going to do it.

PS I should really try to Plank tonight, or tomorrow morning bright and early.  Is there ever a good time to plank?

I have not done a contest like that at a gym (my gym is more into donuts and deadlifts than weight loss in any form), but I would really like to! I agree with the above; $25 isn't too much and if you think it'll help with your motivation - do it! (As a side note, depending on how in depth the meal plans are, that alone is worth $25). Now that it is the 29th - what did you decide?

Also, I am a fan of afternoon / evening planks. That way, once I'm done, I can roll right into bed. 

• Like 2

I was going to check in last night but got waylaid by a movie.  Yesterday was nasty.  Actually the whole week so far has been.  Very stressful at work.  But even though I worked over an hour past my time, I still convinced myself to go to the gym and...

I signed up for the Fall Fitness Challenge!  I'll get a t-shirt and a party out of it if nothing else. ^_^ 

But it now it's back to work.   I'll check in again tonight with more details.

• Like 6

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

First week has gone pretty well, despite some stresses as work - aka The Monday that Never Ended.  But now I'm about to enter a real danger zone.  I'm driving up to visit with the parents.  Lucky my step-mom is into healthy eating, so that's good, but her concepts of healthy eating date from the 50s, so maybe not all that healthy - calorie-wise.  I can do this.

Good luck, Adventurers!  Happy Weekend!

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

What a fun way to set up your challenge! I love how you connect your goals to the Grand Adventures of the Princess Bride, and how you reward yourself. Good stuff!

Haha, it seems we have the same view on gyms and trainers - I am convinced my trainers are reincarnations of the people who took pleasure in working in the Dungeons of the Spanish Inquisition...

Visiting family, going out with friends who are not into health & fitness...that is a tough one! Hope you got through it ok. 

I feel a sudden urge to watch the Princess Bride now...

• Like 1

I haven't been checking the boards much yet this challenge, so I'm just joining in here now. Great challenge! It is super FUN, and to me that's kinda the point of Nerd Fitness. If I can make fitness fun, it is WAY more doable!

• Like 1

"I aim to misbehave where no man has gone before (in the Fade at the Battle of Hogwarts)." ~ Someone somewhere never said this.

Starfleet Slytherpuff Inquisitor wearing a browncoat!

Cary Freaking Elwis is going to be in Milwaukee this Saturday Night for a Special screening of The Princess Bride and then to chat with the audience afterward.  If I hadn't blown a large wad of money earlier this summer to see Mel Brooks talk about Blazing Saddles, I might justify going.  *sigh*.  

Anyway.  I keep meaning to check-in but then it gets late and I opt for going to bed instead.  Weekend went okay.  There were treats.  But there was also hiking and letter boxing on Sunday afternoon, including traipsing through the undergrowth, encountering cute little snakes, and climbing a look-out tower, which is always fun. ^_^  This counts $1 for exploring a new place, even though technically I've been there before, because I'm sure I've seen more of the place than I did last time and found secret loot too.  Which reminds me I also got $1 for trying out a new low-cal potato salad recipe which was quite tasty.  Went rock-climbing at the new gym yesterday and did a bit better than the first time I went.  Made it to the top of two of the tall walls, with minimal 'cheating', plus the two I'd done before.  And tried some new ones, too.  AND I saw a local TV news guy there climbing.  Guess he must be an Adventurer too.  

Tonight I did my first 'Program' at the gym.  It's the recommended workout with the Fall Fitness Challenge thing.  And it was tough.  But I'm much closer to earning a buck for planking now, and I can now add some fresh numbers to the squat mini-challege.  Food is going well, thanks to chocolate which fixes everything. 

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I was annoyed with my alarm clock cat this morning for once again trying to wake before needed.  Went back to sleep, and was happy with my alarm clock cat for waking me just in time, since my alarm didn't go off, so that I still had time to shower before work.  

I haven't slain any R.O.U.S.'s though I did throw a couple punches in their general directions.  I think they're planning to gang up on me, so I'd better make a plan or I'll never escape my personal Fire Swamp.

tumblr_mi43idXhUt1qhyx6io5_r1_250.gif

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Last night I did it!  I slayed my first R.O.U.S.!  I didn't intend to, but who does?  I just went into my bedroom, intent on at least making the bed for a change.  That done, I decided that with autumn progressing as it is, I should probably take the AC out of the window.  That involved removing drapes and shades and stuff on top of the dresser.  Once that was done, well I might as well get those cobwebs out of the corner ceiling before I put everything back and well...  There's now a pretty decently clean corner in my bedroom.  I even swept out behind the dresser and underneath, getting more cobwebs (the spiders must be peeved with me today), tons of hairballs and dust bunnies, plus some sneakers I forgot I had, socks that I gave up on ages ago, and jewelry I've been missing.  Hurrah! for slaying the beast!  Or at least, taming it into submission. ^_^

• Like 4

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Yesterday morning at work I discovered that I had put my name in for a vacation day today.  Things are psycho at work, but unlike the last time I had vacation time come up and decided not to take it, I knew I needed this.  So I have a FOUR DAY WEEKEND!!!!  I woke up about half an hour ago.  Actually I woke up at the usual time and also at 8:30 but falling asleep again has never been a problem for me.  So Yay!  

I need to go to the gym for my one-week weigh-in of this 10 week Fall Fitness Challenge.  And then I'm actually going to work out.  I think it'll show I'm down a little bit since the first weigh-in.  I have no illusions of winning this thing because I like to Treat Myself from time to time.  But I also am motivated not to be the one who lost the least amount, or the only person who gains weight.  I want to be in the pack so...  Pressing on with the Simply Filling thing which I actually like.  I did have chicken and french fries yesterday, but hell, I needed those, and the times when I treat myself with the really bad stuff are getting fewer and farther inbetween.  The Dark Chocolate squares and Sugar-Free chocolate pudding that I allow myself on Simply Filling help a lot with resisting the urge for other much worse things, most of the time.  And today I'm going to figure out how to make healthier versions of cupcakes and mac&cheese. ^_^

Today I'm also going to pick up the new fancy-ass fitness watch that I picked out, when I won 250 spendable 'bucks' from this fitness app that my work wants everybody to use.  I could have spent the bucks on anything in their on-line store, but I decided to blow it all on a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch dealy that's going to tell me everything about my health and my sleeping and my activity that I could possibly want to know, and then some. 

What else?  Still tempted to go see Cary Elwes tomorrow night.  Tickets ARE still available, though not many.  My quartet is singing this weekend, so rehearsal on Saturday morning and then singing on Sunday.  And then on Sunday afternoon, me and my adventurous friend Janine are going camping!!!  There'll be hiking, searching for letterboxes, campfire cooking, and maybe even some s'mores.  And sleeping on the ground in a tent, which sucks.  And I don't know about the bathroom situation either.  Better bring some TP just in case.  

But then on Monday afternoon, to cap off the weekend, I scheduled myself for a 90 minute massage!

I need to figure out where I'm going to fit in rock-climbing and another trip to the gym in there somewhere....  I guess there'll be no Cary Elwes for me after all.  If I could have gotten tickets to the meet & greet, I'd be there in spades, but that's sold out.  Still it'd be nice to see him.  It sucks, but as we all know...

8484211.gifbab4dbcc6340f3301d5cfe881cad4e8da15d15d1

• Like 2

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Late to the party, but I love the extra mini goals that earn you more moolah!

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

I love how you framed your challenge!! I too need some help tackling my ROUS's (of the housecleaning variety, especially feeling you on the leaning tower of dirty dishes). 

It's an awesome extra incentive to give yourself monetary rewards for doing good things. Sounds like you have a solid plan for future greatness. 

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

Gosh, i's been so long since I posted.  My camping night went fairly well, and while I didn't go climbing, I did 'climb' to the top of two of the highest points in southeastern Wisconsin.  I also jacked up my back from sleeping in a tent with minimal padding and rather cold temperatures.  And while I enjoyed my four day weekend, I've been paying for it at work this week, trying to catch up on all my work.  Oy!

I did mean to give a rundown of my first two weeks, but here it's almost three weeks....

CLIFFS OF INSANITY! - I've gone climbing at the gym twice.  It's going to be tough to squeeze the last two climbs in, but I think I can get there.

R.O.U.S.'s  - I've slain two.  And tonight despite a lot of crap stressing me out, I did manage to collect three trash bags worth of garbage from all around the apartment, so I'm going to count that as another because it was a biggie and it's going to help me finish the job in a few specific places.

PIT OF DISPAIR - Seven workouts in so far.  I'm on pace to meet my goal of ten.

MIRACLE MAX - Well, I haven't done as well as I'd like to here. Especially today.  Today I forgot to bring my food work and just ate whatever the hell I wanted.  But tomorrow I'm going to be so much better than that.    I've been on plan, or mostly on plan, for eleven days.  If I can finish out this week and all of next all or mostly on plan, I'll be in good shape.  And the chocolate does help it go down better, it really does.

There's been exploration, and I have a couple recipes I hope to try this weekend.  I've planked enough to earn a couple bucks already.  And the other bonus stuff isn't going to bad.

Best news is that, although my weigh-in at the club today was sucky, my official WW weigh in has allowed me to move 2 more stones from the Lose It jar to the Lost It Jar. 

• Like 3

Blaze the Bounty Hunter