• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

deathbyshiny

deathbyshiny's Death to Laziness: Level 2

My second challenge went much better than I anticipated, even though life hit me in the face the last two weeks. I'm actually going to keep up the same goals because while some worked really well, I struggled with others, and until I feel 100% confident that these are good habits I'll stick with, I won't  move on to anything else. 

I'm also actually going to start tomorrow (Monday) because I have a cold, and I'm focusing on healing a little more first. 

Diet: 

1. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. (More proteins than carbs.)
  2. Eat vegetables with at least one meal a day.

Fitness:

1. Do the Darebee Foundation Light program every day. (http://darebee.com/programs/foundation-light-program.html) I stopped at day 18 last time, so I'm going to start over and push through the full four weeks. I'm going to start with Level 1 and see how I feel by the end. Maybe I'll push to level 2 or another program for the next challenge!
  2. Some sort of endurance exercise 3x a week. (Walking, Biking, Etc.) This is something I need to work on, especially as the weather gets cooler. I am participating in the Zombies, Run virtual 5k in October, so I want to get some of this up. Even if it takes me an hour to walk it, I'll still do it!

Life:

1. Do some sort of me-time activity each day. (Watch an episode of a show, listen to a podcast, read a chapter in a book). This helped with my stress given my hard times these past few weeks, so I'm keeping this up. 
  2. Lower my stress by limiting myself to 3 hours MAX of work after school hours or at home on weekends. (Grading, planning, etc.). This is going to more difficult now that I'm starting to get some essays in, but I have to keep this up.

If I can pull a 90-100% on this challenge, I'm going to amp it up for the next one!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deathbyshiny said:

My second challenge went much better than I anticipated, even though life hit me in the face the last two weeks. I'm actually going to keep up the same goals because while some worked really well, I struggled with others, and until I feel 100% confident that these are good habits I'll stick with, I won't  move on to anything else. 

This is a wise strategy, @deathbyshiny. Love your goals!

• Like 2

Thanks! I feel a little better today. Been drinking tea like it's my job. I think I might have a sinus infection (I get hives on my elbow and hands whenever I have one), but if I go to the doctor about it now, he's going to tell me I don't have one, and send me home with no meds, so I have to wait to see if I get worse. THEN I can go.

In the mean time, I'm pushing through and working on this challenge as best I can!

Tea! In my world, tea makes everything better. This is my favourite tea gif: 

giphy.gif

Because I believe tea is the solution to everything, I like to imagine that my problem (whatever it may be) is the guy in the black outfit and tea is kicking its ass so hard the referee has to intervene. I really hope you don't have a sinus infection!

Your goals are smart and balanced and I hope you're able to keep your stress levels down and feel good about this month. Is your limit of 3 hours outside of school hours per week, or per day?? Because if the latter, yowch! No wonder you need to set aside some me-time.

The Darebee program looks well designed...made me want to poke around and see what else they have.

I love Zombies Run! Haven't decided about the virtual 5K but you're tempting me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Severine said:

The Darebee program looks well designed...made me want to poke around and see what else they have.

I love Zombies Run! Haven't decided about the virtual 5K but you're tempting me.

I'm definitely going to be doing the virtual race next Summer, but I'm giving this one a skip due to budgeting. And darebee is pretty fantastic! They have daily dares, and nerdy fitness programs, and other healthy stuff.

Those are some great goals, and keeping them until they become actual habits is really important!

And urgh, infections and illnesses are the worst. The changing weather in the UK is messing my head up, but all we can do is keep going on!

Have a fantastic challenge!

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 9:41 PM, Severine said:

Tea! In my world, tea makes everything better. This is my favourite tea gif: 

giphy.gif

Because I believe tea is the solution to everything, I like to imagine that my problem (whatever it may be) is the guy in the black outfit and tea is kicking its ass so hard the referee has to intervene. I really hope you don't have a sinus infection!

Your goals are smart and balanced and I hope you're able to keep your stress levels down and feel good about this month. Is your limit of 3 hours outside of school hours per week, or per day?? Because if the latter, yowch! No wonder you need to set aside some me-time.

I LOVE that gif!

The 3 hours is actually per day. If I limited it to a week, I'd NEVER get anything done. Being an English teacher makes it pretty difficult to keep all my work to work. I currently have 25 essays to grade, and I'm collecting 25 more tomorrow! 

I need to get back into doing more of the Zombies, Run! missions, since I've been a hot mess the past month. But between Darebee and that, I should be doing well! I am SO pumped for my Virtual 5k. :D I got my pack, so I am ready to go!

10 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

I'm definitely going to be doing the virtual race next Summer, but I'm giving this one a skip due to budgeting. And darebee is pretty fantastic! They have daily dares, and nerdy fitness programs, and other healthy stuff.

Those are some great goals, and keeping them until they become actual habits is really important!

And urgh, infections and illnesses are the worst. The changing weather in the UK is messing my head up, but all we can do is keep going on!

Have a fantastic challenge!

Thank you! :D The weather here in the Northeast US is HORRIBLE and it's kicking my butt. My allergies suck so much! At least I'm getting over whatever I have! 

And I hope you do get to do the next virtual race! They seem like a lot of fun!

• Like 2

Just when I think I'm getting better, the weather changes on me, and I'm back to drowning in tissues. *sigh*. :P

I cannot imagine the amount of work needed for being a teacher, especially the humanities. I know that my RS teacher no longer sets written homework for people in the first four years. Only if they're doing GCSE and Alevel practice, because it's just too much for her. 

How's your challenge been coming along this week? 

It's nuts! I do my best to space out my assignments, but with my schedule, I don't really have a choice, especially with my curriculum. So many essays! >_<

Things are going okay! I am trying to push through even though I got sick! I'm still trying though!

• Like 1

A little late to the update party!

Diet: 

1. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. (More proteins than carbs.) 7/7 - 100%
  2. Eat vegetables with at least one meal a day. 5/7 - 71% I have this horrible tendency to just...forget to eat on the weekends, especially if I'm busy or don't feel well. This weekend was rough, so I need to be more aware of myself next weekend!

Fitness:

1. Do the Darebee Foundation Light program every day. (http://darebee.com/programs/foundation-light-program.html) 7/7 - 100%
  2. Some sort of endurance exercise 3x a week. (Walking, Biking, Etc.) 1/3 - 33% Uuugh I came home and took a nap every day because my cold got worse, not better, so I only had one active day. Going to try to do more this week.

Life:

1. Do some sort of me-time activity each day. (Watch an episode of a show, listen to a podcast, read a chapter in a book). 7/7 - 100%
  2. Lower my stress by limiting myself to 3 hours MAX of work after school hours or at home on weekends. (Grading, planning, etc.). 7/7 - 100%

Overall Week Average: 84%. Not bad for being sick. :o

• Like 1

I feel your pain as an educator. I always feel like I should be doing something work related. I may have to take your grading idea on the goals. I'm driving some hard Fs right now :)

• Like 1

It's totally rough! I just know I'll burn myself out when essays come in if I don't limit my at-home work time. It's usually not a problem on weekdays, but it is something I will get caught up in on weekends. 

I know, I used to do lessons on weekends and it would take up my Sunday. I just left a position where my only paper work was self-imposed and went back to teaching (Special Ed=IEPs) and had to question if I was crazy on that one. 

It sounds like you know it is coming eventually. Any plans to be proactive and get out ahead of it?

• Like 1

On September 26, 2016 at 0:41 AM, deathbyshiny said:

I'm actually going to keep up the same goals because while some worked really well, I struggled with others, and until I feel 100% confident that these are good habits I'll stick with, I won't  move on to anything else. 

This is so smart. Seriously smart.

This made me realize I've pressured myself to always adapt and add things with each challenge. That really isn't needed, especially if the changes aren't 100% yet. *revelation*

Also, you had a kick ass week considering you were sick. Also, when you are sick you aren't supposed to push much on the fitness front, so maybe that was even a good thing. (Or is that a myth? So many fitness myths out there...)

• Like 1

On 10/5/2016 at 6:59 AM, WantMy$2 said:

I know, I used to do lessons on weekends and it would take up my Sunday. I just left a position where my only paper work was self-imposed and went back to teaching (Special Ed=IEPs) and had to question if I was crazy on that one. 

It sounds like you know it is coming eventually. Any plans to be proactive and get out ahead of it?

I try to be, but it doesn't always work. This weekend, for example, I knew I had a day off, and I planned to get work done...and I did none of it! Haha. I need to get better at that.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:21 PM, Vibrantella said:

Great week, well done!  Getting rest when you need it (eg. during periods of sickness) is a good thing :D 

I definitely needed it!

On 10/8/2016 at 6:32 PM, Dagger said:

This is so smart. Seriously smart.

This made me realize I've pressured myself to always adapt and add things with each challenge. That really isn't needed, especially if the changes aren't 100% yet. *revelation*

Also, you had a kick ass week considering you were sick. Also, when you are sick you aren't supposed to push much on the fitness front, so maybe that was even a good thing. (Or is that a myth? So many fitness myths out there...)

Thanks! I duno, but sleeping in my bed was way nicer than going for a walk, that's for sure!

• Like 1

Diet: 

1. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. (More proteins than carbs.) 7/7 - 100%
  2. Eat vegetables with at least one meal a day. 6/7 - 86% I totally failed on Saturday, but I don't care. <3

Fitness:

1. Do the Darebee Foundation Light program every day. (http://darebee.com/programs/foundation-light-program.html) 7/7 - 100% Though I feel like I should do these earlier in the afternoon than around shower time at night. 
  2. Some sort of endurance exercise 3x a week. (Walking, Biking, Etc.) 2/3 - 66% Better than last week! 

Life:

1. Do some sort of me-time activity each day. (Watch an episode of a show, listen to a podcast, read a chapter in a book). 7/7 - 100%
  2. Lower my stress by limiting myself to 3 hours MAX of work after school hours or at home on weekends. (Grading, planning, etc.). 7/7 - 100% This might have been due in part to laziness this weekend, but that's ok. :)

Overall Week Average: 92% I am getting better at this! Those fitness things are probably going to be part of the next challenge, too, especially since I have all my Zombies, Run stuff in for my virtual race. :D I don't care if I do well on the leaderboards, I just want to do it. So far the most I've been able to walk at a time (for exercise, not for fun) has been 3.1k. I can do it!

• Like 2

Diet: 

1. Eat breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. (More proteins than carbs.) 7/7 - 100%
  2. Eat vegetables with at least one meal a day. 6/7 - 86% I totally failed on Saturday, again, whoops. 

Fitness:

1. Do the Darebee Foundation Light program every day. (http://darebee.com/programs/foundation-light-program.html) 6/7 - 86% I'm struggling a bit at this point because the weather and my allergies are kicking my butt. I am still trying to push through! But I lower my reps if I need to.
  2. Some sort of endurance exercise 3x a week. (Walking, Biking, Etc.) 1/3 - 33% Ugh whoops.

Life:

1. Do some sort of me-time activity each day. (Watch an episode of a show, listen to a podcast, read a chapter in a book). 7/7 - 100%
  2. Lower my stress by limiting myself to 3 hours MAX of work after school hours or at home on weekends. (Grading, planning, etc.). 7/7 - 100% 

Overall Week Average: 84% I need to kick it up for week 4!

• Like 2

I think you had an excellent week. Weather and allergies are bothering you, so you are pushing through as much as you can with the Darebee program and such.

So while I think you can kick it up for next week, this week was kickass too. :)

• Like 2