Rebel Timelord - Part 4

Rebel_Timelord

tumblr_mca1ugtp711qcwhkeo3_250.gif

Hi, I'm the Rebel Timelord. This is my 4th challenge since joining the rebellion. Although I anticipate that I will eventually join the Adventurers, I am staying a Rebel for the time being because the hiking trails will soon be covered in snow for a long winter.

If you are new to the Rebellion, you are in for a real treat. I have found a very supportive community in the forums that has encouraged me in meeting goals. I'm sure it will be the same for you.

My goals this challenge are:

1. Eat five servings of fruits and vegetables a day. - 20 XP.

2. Record everything in My Fitness Pal daily - 20 XP. 

3. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day - 20 XP.

4. Play on the floor each day with my three year old grandson. - 20 XP.

5. Meditate 10 minutes a day - 20 XP.

In previous challenges I've eaten Paleo and done the Beginner Bodyweight Workout. I'll still be doing those things, but I thought reframing them as eating five servings and exercising at least 30 minutes a day would be helpful for a change. My perfectionism began rearing its ugly head again during my last challenge and I'd ding myself for missing a Paleo meal because I ate a salad with cheese on it (instead of feeling good that I ate a salad when I went out for wing night with my friends). 

My obsessions are Doctor Who and British Telefantasy in general, Hammer Horror, Kurt Vonnegut books, Duolingo (Spanish), The Kinks, Elvis Costello, and bad old horror and sci-fi movies. My epic quest is to hike all 64 trails in the book Hiking the Allegheny National Forest. Oh, and I weigh myself in Adipose.

I wish you the very best over the next four weeks.

Peace,

The Rebel Timelord

• Like 8

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Just now, deathbyshiny said:

Looks great! I like how you're refocusing how you look at your goals, even if you're doing the same thing! :D

It seemed like it was time to reframe things a bit to keep things from getting stale. Plus it seemed like I was making things needlessly hard on myself, which was pointless.

• Like 4

MY 500 YEAR DIARY  HIKING THE ALLEGHENY NATIONAL FOREST QUEST: 8 TRAILS DOWN, 57 TO GO 

Your epic quest is amazing! I really want to one day hike the Triple Crown in America. Hopefully I'll be doing the PCT in 2018. 

I love how you weigh yourself in Adipose! :P Though the entire imagery from that episode was a little ... strange :D Though the weirdist was probably the first one with the plastic coming alive. 

Perfectionism is a terrible beast, but I'm glad you'e found a way to get around it! What are you getting once you get 100XP?

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

11 hours ago, LucentFrost said:

I like the idea of having a goal of exercising 30 minutes daily than determining the exact exercise routine. For example, even if I didn't do the bodyweight workout I told myself to do this challenge, but instead biked for a mile, or dance crazily in the mirror, I still get my exercise, right? :)

Flexibility is good.

11 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

Your epic quest is indeed EPIC! 64 trails!? So awesome! I hope you'll do something to track each one! Like take a picture of yourself and compile them all in a book to look back on! Really excited to follow you along on your challenge. Good luck with all your quests! 

Thanks. The book is a great idea. I've already taken pictures of each trail I've done so far...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Your epic quest is amazing! I really want to one day hike the Triple Crown in America. Hopefully I'll be doing the PCT in 2018. 

That's a great goal. I dream of devoting a summer to the Camino de Santiago someday.

I love how you weigh yourself in Adipose! :P Though the entire imagery from that episode was a little ... strange :D Though the weirdist was probably the first one with the plastic coming alive. 

I love the weirdness of Doctor Who. Been watching since 1978, so some of the weirdness has rubbed off on me.

Perfectionism is a terrible beast, but I'm glad you'e found a way to get around it! What are you getting once you get 100XP?

I haven't really thought of a reward this round. Maybe a compass or something to assist me in my epic quest?

• Like 1

Here for the beer.....errr....for support...yeah..support....

• Like 2

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

I was going to do the Camino, but it was too short and too much on roads. But I still want to do it someday. Along with the CDT and the AT, and the Te Aroroa, and ... :P

How's your challenge coming along so far? Any adipose beamed back up?

• Like 1

they / them  |  half-orc paladin ( oath of the watcher )   --   lv 0

Challenge 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20Battle Log ~ Epic Quest

Rebel Timelord - Challenge Part 4 - Week 1 Update

giphy.gif

For those who have been following along for awhile, you'll remember that about a month ago I began feeling uncharacteristically tired. I had completed some major projects in August and instead of resting and celebrating, I plunged back into more work and volunteer commitments. By mid-September I was exhausted all the time and my weight loss had slowed.

I wondered if my calories were too restrictive. Last week, I changed my weight loss goal in My Fitness Pal from two pounds a week to one pound a week. This added several hundred calories to my day.

This weekend I had planned to visit my son at college. He had a last-minute scheduling conflict, which left me with an empty calendar for three days. I took this as a sign to rest and booked a room at a Benedictine monastery about an hour away. All I did was sleep, read, pray, journal, and walk for a few days. I didn't set alarms and barely looked at my watch, preferring instead to "sync" myself to the bell tower, which called the Benedictines to prayer three times a day.

One of the things that came out of this time was some clarity about my priorities. It's counterproductive to over-extend myself. If I don't care for myself, how am I to truly care for others? My calendar (and to-do list) is going to look a lot different from here on out.

I came back home today feeling much more rested and centered. I weighed myself (as is my custom on Sundays): just shy of another Adipose gone.

So in summary, I broke all the rules this week and am giving myself an A+.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

Rebel Timelord - Challenge Part 4 - Week 1 Update

This weekend I had planned to visit my son at college. He had a last-minute scheduling conflict, which left me with an empty calendar for three days. I took this as a sign to rest and booked a room at a Benedictine monastery about an hour away. All I did was sleep, read, pray, journal, and walk for a few days. I didn't set alarms and barely looked at my watch, preferring instead to "sync" myself to the bell tower, which called the Benedictines to prayer three times a day.

One of the things that came out of this time was some clarity about my priorities. It's counterproductive to over-extend myself. If I don't care for myself, how am I to truly care for others? My calendar (and to-do list) is going to look a lot different from here on out.

I came back home today feeling much more rested and centered. I weighed myself (as is my custom on Sundays): just shy of another Adipose gone.

This was such a great idea!

I'll kepp my fingers crossed that things will turn out the way you want them to!

• Like 1

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

On 10/2/2016 at 4:04 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Best kind of A+! I think that weekend sound so relaxing and recharging, and I'm glad you got a chance to do it!

• Like 1

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

On October 3, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Casbin said:

I'll kepp my fingers crossed that things will turn out the way you want them to!

So far, so good @Casbin. I'm sleeping through the night again and feel less exhausted and more energetic this week.

On October 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Bookish Badger said:

What a great use of a sudden open space in your calendar. The urge to just jump back into your to-do list must have been strong. Good on you for taking the opportunity to rest and restore yourself!

Thanks, @Bookish Badger. I have a big to-do list, but the funny thing is self-care is almost never on it. I'm learning though--I'm taking some swing time this Thursday afternoon for a long day I put in at work last week. I suspect the world will somehow continue to spin.

21 hours ago, deathbyshiny said:

Best kind of A+! I think that weekend sound so relaxing and recharging, and I'm glad you got a chance to do it!

The silly thing is that I put it off for years even though it was easily within my ability to do. I wonder how many opportunities like this I miss because I get preoccupied with other things? I have a bunch of unused vacation time. I'm considering doing several two-day retreats next year. Maybe the last day of each season?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebel_Timelord said:

The silly thing is that I put it off for years even though it was easily within my ability to do. I wonder how many opportunities like this I miss because I get preoccupied with other things? I have a bunch of unused vacation time. I'm considering doing several two-day retreats next year. Maybe the last day of each season?

That sounds like a great idea! :D

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try. - Gail Devers

Current challenge: New Game

Previous challenges: 2017 Challenges: Strategy 2Strategy 1 | 1-3 1-2 | 1-1 | Reset
2016 Challenges: 432 | 1 | .5

I LOVE the self care weekend you took! It sounds like it was just what you needed. And that takes courage to do! You do so much for others, your family and your community, I am so glad you took time for yourself. :)

Love that you nipped the perfectionist bug in the butt. I'll be following along. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the best you can until you know better. When you know better, do better. (Maya Angelou)

Current Challenge

Previous I

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:13 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

I have a big to-do list, but the funny thing is self-care is almost never on it. I'm learning though--I'm taking some swing time this Thursday afternoon for a long day I put in at work last week. I suspect the world will somehow continue to spin.

That was a great lesson you had last weekend, glad you're keeping the momentum!  :)  I sometimes wish to go on a similar retreat, but there are things holding me back...  Still I do schedule in a lot of rest and recharge time into my week, so all is not lost!

• Like 1

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

On October 02, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Rebel_Timelord said:

Woop woop!

I agree with everyone else, that weekend sounded so relaxing and nice. I think I should plan in something like that. I could totally use it.

On October 05, 2016 at 3:13 AM, Rebel_Timelord said:

I'm considering doing several two-day retreats next year. Maybe the last day of each season?

Sounds like a plan!

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals