• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

13 minutes ago, Jayniana Jones said:

I found my yoga practice is literally like night and day. In the morning I can barely reach my toes and by evening I often stretch and move like Gumby. 

Totally, and for me, it happens fast. I usually start with a pair of sun salutations, and on that first one, I can't even reach the floor. By the end of the second, I can already feel a big difference. This is one reason I like it so much in the morning. For the record, though, I don't claim to ever achieve Gumby state.

------

I really didn't want to go running this evening when I got home from work. I'd had a late lunch, which was still sitting kinda heavy with me, and it was about to get dark. This is where the training plan comes to the rescue – I knew I had to do it, so I suited up, and off I went into the night. Turned out not so miserable after all. Actually, I kept giggling and laughing for no obvious reason the first few miles. Or maybe it's obvious I'm disturbed.

I even went on to do all the other things except cooking (still so much food...). All day, I did morning yoga, doubled up on pushups (43), finished week 1 of Elements and ran either 5.16 or 5.36 miles, depending on which device you trust more. I know which one I'm picking.

0ApZTxeJUc9kx-S5tqjynaoSMfjC7TctKMM6flED

• Like 6

Whole lotta wins all-around, woot woot! 

Hey, giggling while running has never happened to me, but I'm also someone that has poor cardio so maybe my brain just doesn't think about laughing and more about surviving. Giggling during yoga has happened to me quite a few times, though. :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jormungand said:

Still crushing that pace.

More like it's trying to crush me, lately. The body is starting to complain loudly about the increased intensity, so I'm gonna have to actually listen to it at some point.

----

Wednesday, 8.4 miles at a reduced pace thanks to some fun chafing. Also 23 pushups. Today, I was excited not only to get home before sunset, but to have clear skies to see it. 4.8 miles, 24 pushups and morning yoga. I seem to have tweaked my shoulder somewhere along the way – in the muscle, not the joint, so it's not affecting my mobility any. But another sign I need to be thoughtful about everything I'm doing now. The good news is that there is a bit of a reprieve from the running this weekend. The schedule calls for one rest day, one undefined "easy" run and a 10k race. I couldn't find a reasonably close-by race to register for, so I'll just run a brisk 6 miler on Sunday, and maybe do some easy trails on Saturday since the weather should be good. Tomorrow will be the rest day, which will give me time to do some cooking and some more Elements.

Happy Friday!

Y1b_x2lNhB2JjqFgMNp3mfVZINwvzXiOj_E3AX8V

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jormungand said:

That is a hell of a shot. Very cool location.

2 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

This picture is so beautiful, I'm actually in awe.

At the end of my street, there is a little short trail through the woods, and this is where it comes out. My house is less than half a mile from here. To be honest, I really miss the mountains right now, but I'm really trying to connect with my new home. One thing I've learned, every place has something beautiful if you go looking for it.

1 hour ago, EternalJourno said:

Ugh... lol

Yeah...deliberately spared y'all the details. Just something else to add to the list of weird unpleasantries when you run a lot.

• Like 2

Week 2 Summary

Run

58.7 miles, goal of 115. Since there was just the "free" run on the schedule for Friday, I was able to mostly make up for the missed run last week with 4.7 trail miles on Saturday. Interestingly, I chose the same section of trail that was so hard on my knee a few weeks ago. I took it very carefully, but this still concerns me, and I've made an appointment to get it checked out. Aside from that, I'm on track to reach the goal, and feeling much better after an easy weekend.

Push-ups

270 total, goal of 540. Exactly where I should be!

Yoga

11 points total, goal of 20. I've been doing a lot more of this finally, mostly short morning sessions, but I'm pushing myself little by little to do more and to work in a few new (or forgotten) elements.

Mindful Movements

7 points total, goal of 18. I've slowed down on this one because I'm spreading myself a little too thin. I just don't seem to have time for everything. It's progressing well, though, and I am learning from it. And although this is my only goal that is not at 50% yet, I could still actually get it done.

Mindful Eating

4 points, goal of 8. I cooked three times this week (not counting the mac & cheese, obviously :D), which makes up for only once last week and brings me right to 50%. I made a mushroom and herb quiche – which is really weird because normally I would never eat eggs – and a spinach-mushroom-jalapeño pizza. It was delicious. Don't judge.

• Like 5

Sunday

Really rainy here today, so I decided to make it an active recovery day and skip today's planned 10k run. I don't otherwise run on Monday's so I can make it up tomorrow. Recovery is happening, and the weather should be better. As for what I did accomplish today – 20 push-ups and another Elements.

Not part of my goals, but possibly related somehow, I met up with a small group of people for a "mindfullness walk" around a nearby nature preserve. The walk was led by a yoga instructor who seemed really fun, but sadly her practice is too far away (the walk was sort of halfway between, and still a 30 min drive for me). Mostly, we just walked slowly through the woods – yes, in the rain – where she encouraged us to vary our perspectives and to have our own "personal experience in a group setting" as she put it. No cell phones or cameras were allowed, and there was really no talking except at a few select gathering points. Not the kind of thing I normally do, but it was nice to get down and experience nature at a slow pace, instead of blasting by at my usual trail-running speed.

Looking ahead, 6, 5, 8 and 5 miles on the schedule for the next four days, hopefully some more diverse yoga workouts and try to keep up with Elements. Somewhere in there, I need to cook – I have a recipe for lentil sloppy joes I'm itchin to try.

• Like 5

On 10/9/2016 at 7:25 PM, SaltyDragon said:

I made a mushroom and herb quiche – which is really weird because normally I would never eat eggs – and a spinach-mushroom-jalapeño pizza. It was delicious. Don't judge.

Omg I'm not judging I want some!!!!! 

On 10/9/2016 at 10:41 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Not part of my goals, but possibly related somehow, I met up with a small group of people for a "mindfullness walk" around a nearby nature preserve. The walk was led by a yoga instructor who seemed really fun, but sadly her practice is too far away (the walk was sort of halfway between, and still a 30 min drive for me). Mostly, we just walked slowly through the woods – yes, in the rain – where she encouraged us to vary our perspectives and to have our own "personal experience in a group setting" as she put it. No cell phones or cameras were allowed, and there was really no talking except at a few select gathering points. Not the kind of thing I normally do, but it was nice to get down and experience nature at a slow pace, instead of blasting by at my usual trail-running speed.

During my yoga teacher training we would have these meditative walks twice a week and they were truly amazing. No talking allowed. Sometimes they'd ask us to count our steps to focus our minds on something different than the matters of the overthinking brain. 

It's good to switch it around and see nature in a different way. :-)

• Like 2

On 10/9/2016 at 8:41 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Mostly, we just walked slowly through the woods – yes, in the rain – where she encouraged us to vary our perspectives and to have our own "personal experience in a group setting" as she put it.

This sounds genuinely awesome! I think I'm gonna try this one day on my own.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Yum!  The only thing that's missing is chorizo

Chorizo is delicious, though I've never really preferred it on pizza. It goes really well with potatoes, avocado, even eggs (or tofu) folded up in a tortilla with really good fresh salsa and, oh my, yes. I'm assuming of course that you're referring to Mexican style chorizo, not the Spanish style hard chorizo – also delicious but very different. I don't eat those things any more, of course, but because chorizo is so heavily seasoned and soft textured, "soyrizo" is virtually indistinguishable other than being less greasy. In fact, I may have even had some of that this week, too... :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

During my yoga teacher training we would have these meditative walks twice a week and they were truly amazing.

That's cool to hear. I think I'd probably benefit from doing it more, myself. They do this every weekend, somewhere different every time, so whenever it's not too far away I'll have to do it again.

6 hours ago, EternalJourno said:

This sounds genuinely awesome! I think I'm gonna try this one day on my own.

Thanks, I'm always happy to plant a little seed. Your statement could equally apply to the walk and the pizza. I wholeheartedly recommend both!

----

At lunch today, I finally got down and explored the little "fitness trail" through the woods at work. I mean, the trailhead is seriously right outside my lab's window – what took me so long, right? It's about a mile and a half, perfect for a mid-day stroll, and I was surprised how much ups and downs there were. (Side note: as someone who studied geology in the southwestern US, I still get momentarily puzzled when I see a really big rock somewhere it doesn't belong – there's no mountains or cliffs here for it to have tumbled down from. Then I remember, "Oh yeah, glaciers. Glaciers happened." :P) I was also really delighted to see...a snake!! I haven't seen a real live reptile outside of Texas or Hawaii for so long, I was starting to think that they, like the ROUS's, didn't really exist.

But enough of my rambling, let's get down to business.

Monday, I got my 10k in, though not at anything near race pace. Still pretty brisk, though. Also, morning yoga, another Elements, and push-ups. I cooked a nice healthy dinner, (made farro for the first time – in the rice cooker, ha!) but it was very spontaneous and randomy, so it doesn't earn a point.

Today, I stopped at my friend's house after work – I'm watching her cat while she's out of town. So after some quality time with Felix (I know, right?), I took my 5 miler around her neighborhood for a little variety. Found some trails, too, cuz more time in the woods is awesome.

I have a video (or two) that I really want to share, but damn Google has changed up the hosting I use, and I can't figure out how to link it here anonymously anymore. As soon as I do, though, look out...

• Like 5

Pizza video is working! I really want pizza... gah. My life. Are you a fellow vegetarian? Because that's awesome. :) Felix is THE CUTEST name for a cat. Outside of maybe Mr. Cat. 

Good job on the miles and the morning yoga! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyrulian Yogi said:

Are you a fellow vegetarian?

I really have my own rules that I follow, and they can seem a little fluid sometimes. I tell people that I am mostly vegetarian, which I think is accurate. I'm guided by my own sense of ethics and sustainability, but as I lead a more athletic lifestyle, I'm thinking more and more about nutrition, as well. I do eat fish and shellfish, occasionally, and I try to be aware of where it came from and how it was caught. Now that I am buying and preparing my own food again, I'm not necessarily opposed to responsibly-raised* chicken now and then, but I just don't seem to be interested. It's been so long since since I've had meat at this point, that it just doesn't feel right anymore. I did buy a package of local eggs over a month ago, but half of them are still sitting there because I just never think about eating eggs anymore.

*Terms like this are really hard to define, and my own rules probably don't make a lot of sense to anyone else – even other vegetarians. But I've come to them after a lot of time and thought. It's a living definition, too. When I see the need to modify it, I do.

Probably a more complicated answer than you expected, eh? :D But thanks for asking!

• Like 5

Haha not complicated at all! I understand it because I could say that I'm mostly vegan, but the occasional time that I eat eggs or ice cream, I don't want to be attacked by the ''vegan police''. I've also only been buying products that haven't been tested on animals since I'm 15, as well but I can't bring myself to a label. I find them constricting. :P 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:13 AM, SaltyDragon said:

I'm assuming of course that you're referring to Mexican style chorizo, not the Spanish style hard chorizo – also delicious but very different.

I think we only have Spanish chorizo here, be it ready to eat or for cooking.  The soft version I haven't seen in the UK, but in France they call it Soubrasade and it's heavenly... 

17 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

It's a living definition, too

I like this way of eating, rather than apologising for not fitting into other people's definitions.

• Like 2

Was out for a nice 5 miler this evening, and was horrified to see another snake – this one getting stomped on by a pair of giggling and shrieking teenagers, recording the whole thing on their phone, of course. I bit my tongue and just ran on by, but I kind of wish now I had said something. I think it's important to let people know, kids especially, when their behavior is not OK. Maybe I'm getting worked up by other current events, but animal cruelty has been a big deal to me for a long time  – shit pisses me off. OK, done ranting, feel better.

What did I do? Eight miles last night, five tonight. Yoga this morning. Kinda slipping on everything else momentarily. It's getting really hard during the week. I work almost all of the daylight hours, and after that, the running schedule comes first. At this point in my training, my shortest runs are 5 miles. I'm running five days a week, with a long run on the weekends and a longish tempo run mid week. I think it's going pretty good, but my body is still getting used to the abuse, so the energy for other activities is a little low! I'm actually really excited to not be running tomorrow. I've got a few domestic projects that need to happen, but I'm hoping to use the weekend to catch up on some of the things where I've been slacking.

And in even more exciting news, here's the video that I really wanted to share...

https://vid.me/TIXB

Holy crap, y'all! Look what I can do now!!

• Like 7

Good form on that Crow Pose and you held it really well. Enjoy the rest from the running. :) 

It would have made me angry and sad to see those teenagers attack the snake... it's not okay at all. Gah. I wish everyone could be more aware. 

• Like 2