• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bookish Badger

Bookish Badger: Nightblade, Level 1

So I managed to level up last challenge and need to keep the momentum going. This challenge is going to be about that.

I went to the doctor to discuss my minor-but-persistent back issues. She gave me a spinal adjustment (apparently she's an osteopath as well as an MD), a prescription for muscle relaxants that I cannot use during the day (took one in the evening to see what the effect was - no way am I driving on those suckers), and suggested I get new/better-supporting bras. The last seemed a reasonable suggestion so I went shopping on Saturday. If nothing else, the girls will be perkier.

So I'm still on my own as far as fixing my back, but at least she didn't think there was anything serious going on. So addressing this will again be a focus this challenge. On to it:

Stamina:

Do the Darebee's Posture and Standing Abs routine. One point per day I do both routines.

Health:

Eat LCHF, keeping carbs naturally low by focusing on good fats, proteins and veggies. One-half point per day of eating approved goodies. And, 

Avoid alcohol in all its tempting forms. One-half point per day of abstinence.

Magicka:

1. Spend a minimum of 10 minutes per day with my BuJo; 5 minutes at the end of the work day planning the next day's work and 5 minutes before bed, reflecting on the day. One point per day the minimum is met.

2. Read for one hour per day. One point per day the minimum was achieved (not per hour read, otherwise I'd never get anything else done :) )

Points and Leveling:

Leveling up to level 2, and "unlocking" an attribute perk, requires 100 points. With 28 days in the challenge, and 4 points possible per day, I will have a little wiggle room for off days, but not so much that I can just blow off a whole goal, nail the other three, and still get to level 2. I'm going to have give consistent effort - which is the only kind of effort that pays off!

I haven't decided on a perk yet, other than it will be some fun thing that will support one of the three attributes. Maybe y'all might have some ideas? ;) 

Thanks for reading, and good luck to all of us!

• Like 11

Great goals! I love the idea of tracking points to level up and giving yourself perks. I'm not sure I have any good ideas for you but maybe you'll get inspired by some of my own loot. I've treated myself to new running shoes. I bought some workout gear, like a pull-up bar and gloves. One of the things on my list is a nice hiking hat. I got a small hiking backpack that helps me carry water and other stuff when I go walking with my dog. Oh, and I got myself a nice pair of bluetooth headphones. They were a bit pricey, but they work really well and I wear them anytime I take my dog for a walk.

• Like 4

Those are some awesome darebee workouts! I'm still trying to find all the secrets there :P I've got the programs, was recently introduced to the Daily Dares, and still there are new things to discover! I hope those go well for you.

The leveling system you have is really cool. For ideas, you could go somewhere, or buy a book or something else you've been eyeing? I know that @jessleigh had a couple ideas in her thread!

• Like 3

Yay! I was looking for your challenge, so thanks for leaving the breadcrumb trail from your previous thread.

For perks: do you like music or theatre? One of my favourite treats is tickets to a concert or play. Also pampering things like a massage or a new haircut are fun. Or maybe a really nice set of coloured pens for the bujo? I'm a fan of the Hi-Tec C Maica set.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

@Rebel_Timelord, I just recently started Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Also dipping my toes in The Doodle Revolution by Sunni Brown. Next up: The Oversight  by Charlie Fletcher and Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.

Thanks. I anticipate finishing the last of Kurt Vonnegut by the end of the year and am on the lookout for some good reads.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rosie's Riveter said:

I just stare at their pretty on instagram :P 

Mine's not pretty (I don't really "do" pretty - I admire others' efforts yet a big part of me snarks: "it's a planning system, not an art project".... like it's my place to judge), but it works. I'm trying to get the habit built now so I'll be ready when I can use my Hobonichi planner next year.

But I have been lusting over some fountain pen inks lately, and thinking that maybe I could get some colors that go with the three attribute colors I use in these threads - just for tracking my goals, mind you.... so I might be more susceptible to pretty than I like to think :) I draw the line at washi tape, tho.

• Like 8

I admit to owning washi tape. It was on sale  :lol:

I'm currently reading a book written by my friend's new girlfriend. Annnnnnd I don't like it. My friend won't be offended - he's a literature professor and can talk about books without getting too personal about it - but I'm already nervous about when I eventually meet her and she asks me what I thought. Some authors like honest feedback, and some get kind of defensive no matter how diplomatically you phrase things, and I don't yet know which she is. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Severine said:

some get kind of defensive no matter how diplomatically you phrase things, and I don't yet know which she is. 

Ask your friend confidentially which would be best. If she's the sort who wants praise, give it (think Arthur Dent complimenting Vogon poetry). 

• Like 3

Heya, good luck with your challenge. :) Have you considered a day out at the spa as a perk? Might be good to get a massage after all that stretching in your stamina quest. :PJust a suggestion, because there's a ton of good rewards mentioned here too. :) 

• Like 1

Sweet pickles and dandelions!  I'm glad nothing too serious is going on with that back and congrats on the new boulder holders!! 

I am book marking those books you are and about to read. I really need to find some fiction, I'd love to find a love story that isn't too cheesy, but until then I may jump into The OverSight it sounds good. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Ooh, how is The Doodle Revolution? I borrowed it from the library once but I never got around to it and ended up returning it. 

I'm pretty much in the same situation :) I glanced through it - it looks really interesting and I need to think more visually since a lot of my work now requires some elementary design ..... but it is currently languishing on my desk at work. I'd taken it in intending to read it on my lunch break only to not really take a lunch break (or lunch for that matter) most days this week. Oh, well, maybe next week.

17 hours ago, Butternut said:

Sweet pickles and dandelions!  I'm glad nothing too serious is going on with that back and congrats on the new boulder holders!! 

First, that is one of the funniest exclamations I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh. :) 

The new boob holsters seem to be doing the trick - which is both a relief and mildly embarrassing. I'm not 100% healed yet but the spasms are nowhere near as bad as they were. I'm cautiously hopeful that a few more weeks of proper support and core strengthening will do the job.

• Like 6

Week one recap:

Stamina:

Do the Darebee's Posture and Standing Abs routine. One point per day for both routines.

Health:

Eat LCHF, keeping carbs naturally low by focusing on good fats, proteins and veggies. One-half point per day of eating approved goodies. And, 

Avoid alcohol in all its tempting forms. One-half point per day of abstinence.

Magicka:

1. Spend a minimum of 10 minutes per day with my BuJo; 5 minutes at the end of the work day planning the next day's work and 5 minutes before bed, reflecting on the day. One point per day the minimum is met.

2. Read for one hour per day.

Points for week: 20/24

I know - I should have had 28 points possible for the week, but I'm only counting 6 days. I hadn't nailed down the goals until most of the way through Day One Sunday, so I'm skipping it. I'll add an extra day at the end of the challenge to make up for it.

And as you can see, I've missed pretty much every goal at least once in the past week. A perfect example of my brain taking advantage of any latitude. I'll need to be more vigilant going forward.

Thank you all for your ideas on leveling-up perks. I like @EternalJourno's idea of Bluetooth headphones/earbuds. I like listening to audiobooks when doing chores or yardwork but find the distortion caused by the earbud cord rubbing against clothing etc. to be distracting. Sounds like an excellent solution.

• Like 7

Good job on week 1! As for headphones, I'm no expert on brands or anything, but the pair I've got has been pretty reliable so far. It's from Radio Shack's in-house brand Auvio. I originally bought a more expensive pair because I thought the more money I spent meant the better quality they would be. But then the expensive pair malfunctioned the first time I wore them. When I went to return them, the sales guy recommended the Radio Shack pair and they've been really good to me even though I'm a very heavy sweater, lol. As in, I sweat a lot. I'm not a knitted piece of winter clothing that weighs a lot.

• Like 2

Woo week one! Good job!

I have an LG Tone bluetooth headset and it's AMAZING. (I got it a while ago on the cheap. The new ones can be pricy).  It's one of the ones that sits around your neck and you put the earbuds in your ears. I love wearing it when I go walking because I can tuck my phone away and not worry about the cord snagging on anything. 

• Like 1