Bookish Badger: Nightblade, Level 1

Finally managed to come read your challenge. Losing all of zero week to camp and then the first week to jet lag and then a quick 4 day trip away really has me behind on everybody's challenges.

Sounds like a nice choice of perk. Also, sounds like you did a good job on week 1 and you know how to do better this week. 

You can do it!

• Like 2

Hey BB!

Just caught up on your thread. Man, it's crazy how much a good bra an male a difference! I'm glad you feel better. It sucks trying to be active when you're in pain / fearful of pain or injury.

As for Bluetooth headphones, I have JBL reflect minis and I looove them. They hold charge, sound great, and hook into my ear great! I listen to podcasts at work and music when I workout, so I have them in about ~6 hours a day. And I only charge them at lunch time for an hour or so! They're great.

Following along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My quest is going... not great at the moment. It feels like I'm stuck in the mud. I'm considering calling it a wash and respawning with the next challenge, or perhaps radically altering it. I haven't decided yet.

In the meantime, I thought I'd provide another recipe I recently tried along with my results. I'd post the source, but it is sort of a hodgepodge of different recipes I found in an internet search, modified by what I had on hand in the pantry. If you don't do peanut butter, I'm sure it would be equally delicious with the nut butter of your choice.

"Pad Thai" Chicken & Zoodles

Peanut sauce:

4T peanut butter

2T lime juice

2T Soy sauce

1 T Fish sauce

2 T chopped cilantro

½ t ground ginger

¼ t red pepper flakes

Mix all together & set aside.

1# chicken, diced (or more, up to you :) )

2 zucchini, spiralized

1 carrot, spiralized

Minced garlic

Bean sprouts

The rest of the bunch of cilantro, chopped

Bunch scallions, chopped

Oil for cooking

Heat 1 T oil over med-high heat and cook chicken through. Set aside.

Add zucchini & carrot, more oil if needed, and fry 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and fry 1 more minute or until done.

Off heat, add chicken & peanut sauce, toss to heat through.

Results: 

Pretty decent taste; probably the closest I've come to replicating the taste of real pad thai. Although the taste was a little unbalanced - on the salty side (not that I object to salty!) but no balancing sweetness. My peanut butter has no added sugar which might have something to do with it. In retrospect, a healthy splash of coconut milk would probably have fixed that issue. 

But most important, my veggie-averse husband snarfed his whole portion and there were no leftovers (I'm not sure he realized that he ate a WHOLE ZUCCHINI and half a carrot in one meal. Don't tell him.)

• Like 7
Just now, Butternut said:

Your post has made me hungry.... 

Aside from cutting and spirilizing everything (or just "peeling" the zucchini & carrot all the way down), the recipe actually came together pretty quickly. If you're quick with a knife, you could probably prep the veggies while the chicken cooks, and dinner would be ready in about 20 minutes or so.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Pad Thai" Chicken & Zoodles

That looks yummy, I'm so trying it!  Thanks :) 

About the challenge, if it were me I would alter it as much as necessary, rather than just give up - because if I did that, I would not be back for the next one!  But that's just how I am, if I give up, that's it!

• Like 2

I made pad thai zoodles once, but I think it was different from the recipe you tried. I don't remember using peanut butter. But I never actually had pad thai before, so I had nothing to really compare it to. It came out pretty good though.

And I agree with @Vibrantella. Even if you have to alter your challenge, stick with it. There's no better time to respawn than right now!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

My quest is going... not great at the moment. It feels like I'm stuck in the mud. I'm considering calling it a wash and respawning with the next challenge, or perhaps radically altering it. I haven't decided yet.

I have some experience with this. Well, mostly with altering the fuck out of my challenge when I've needed to.

Whatever you think will work best for you is the answer. If that means quietly stepping out of the challenge and just getting your head on straight, do that. If it means altering this challenge into something easy/simpler that works for the next few weeks, do that. Whatever you do, take care of you and come say hi from time to time otherwise we'll miss you!

• Like 2

Well, that could have gone better.

Various things too long to go into here happened, and I let them completely sidetrack me. There was a car accident and a hospital stay and under-treated depression (a major factor in the accident) and all the physical, mental, emotional, and financial worries that go along with them which are still shaking out. I don't want to go into a lot of detail because it isn't my story to tell (I wasn't the one in the accident or the one with depression). The good news is that the injuries are healing, no one else was involved in the accident, and better treatment is being sought. We will get through this. 

Given how I crashed and burned on the challenge even before everything went REALLY sideways, I've decided to try a battle log instead of participating in the challenges. Keeping it basic and consistent sounds like a good plan right now. For those who are interested, you can find me here:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/91288-bookish-badger-learns-to-love-the-grind/

• Like 3