• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

brandyb1027

Newbie starts an adventure

So, I just joined the forums, this is my first challenge.  I hope I am doing this correctly   If there is anything I am missing, please let me know!!

Food:

No fast food

I tend to use fast food when I am feeling lazy

At least half a plate of veggies for lunch and dinner every day

I am counting salad as well as other veggies, but I want to try and get some other things on there

Fitness:

Actually do my PT shoulder exercises 3x a week

I am so lazy about this.  I don't want shoulder injury relapse, though

Hiking or workout Saturday Morning

Perfect excuse to not drink Friday night

Life:

Clean up something in the apartment daily

I hate cleaning, but a messy apartment is messing with my self-care

Read a book for at least an hour every evening

I love to read, but end up being lazy and plopped in front of the tv watching netflix

I think that's a good start, no?  Do I do updates every day?  If so, here's my update from yesterday using emoticons.  It was a drive back from Camp Nerd Fitness, so I didn't get all of them, but I did pretty good.  I'm happy with it.

Food:

No fast food  

At least half a plate of veggies for lunch and dinner every day  

No lunch, so no veggies there

Fitness:

Actually do my PT shoulder exercises 3x a week

Went to sleep at 6pm instead

Hiking or workout Saturday Morning  

It's not Saturday yet!!

Life:

Clean up something in the apartment daily  

Read a book for at least an hour every evening  

Did not do

• Like 1

Looks like a good challenge.  How often you update is, of course, up to you.  Many people (including myself) do update every day, others a few times a week or even once a week.  It mostly depends on how much accountability you feel you need.  For many of us, needing to come and update daily helps us keep on track.

2 minutes ago, bker1370 said:

Looks like a good challenge.  How often you update is, of course, up to you.  Many people (including myself) do update every day, others a few times a week or even once a week.  It mostly depends on how much accountability you feel you need.  For many of us, needing to come and update daily helps us keep on track.

Thanks for the response!  That's good to know.  I think I will update every day.  I was considering doing a Daily Battle Log, too, so I could update both at the same time.

Hey! Those are some good challenges, and how was camp? Tell us all the gossip! :P

Updates are entirely up to you, and a Battle Log is also good! The challenge thread then becomes more of a discussion place with others while the battle log is a track record. I also use mine for ideas and random stuff. 

Have a good challenge and I look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

16 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Hey! Those are some good challenges, and how was camp? Tell us all the gossip! :P

Updates are entirely up to you, and a Battle Log is also good! The challenge thread then becomes more of a discussion place with others while the battle log is a track record. I also use mine for ideas and random stuff. 

Have a good challenge and I look forward to seeing you around the forums! :D

I can reply again!  WOOO!  

I think I'll just include daily updates on the battle log and maybe weekly here.  (I did everything I wanted to yesterday, though :D )

Anyways.....Camp. Was. Awesome.  It was my first camp, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  

There was a lot of variety in the classes (swords, parkour, lifting, kettlebells, mobility, mental health, archery, life hacks) which made for a lot of hard choices.  I'm still processing some of the feels from the mental health classes I took.  

There was plentiful food - 6 different times to get food.  I still can't believe how much I ate (and still lost 3 pounds!!).  

The campers were split into 4 houses and would earn gems through out the days given out by wizards and headmasters.  The house that earned the most gems were awarded the house cup.  

On Saturday, there was an afternoon of just games on the lawn outside NF HQ.  Apparently, it included an American Gladiator type show - lol.  Sadly, I missed this.  Saturday, for me, was walk around the entire campus exploring with a friend day.

Hiya! Goodluck with your first four week challenge!

I always try and get an hours reading in before bedtime as well, helps to relax the brain a bit before sleep, and usually means I get a much better nights shut eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brandyb1027 said:

I think I'll just include daily updates on the battle log and maybe weekly here.  (I did everything I wanted to yesterday, though :D )

The forum has a cool tendency to embed links, so you can always link to your battle log updates instead of posting the same thing twice, as well!

(Throwing ideas out there)

• Like 1

Camp sounds awesome! Really wish it wasn't all the way in America just after school starts. But I will make it one day!

And honestly, I still can't believe that you couldn't post after 10 posts. :D

Your battle log looks you've got some awesome habits building, and things are working out really well for you! Have you come across any tips to give others or stuff that you're struggling with?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Camp sounds awesome! Really wish it wasn't all the way in America just after school starts. But I will make it one day!

And honestly, I still can't believe that you couldn't post after 10 posts. :D

Your battle log looks you've got some awesome habits building, and things are working out really well for you! Have you come across any tips to give others or stuff that you're struggling with?

That sucks about the timing.  In the after-camp questionnaire, there were some questions about location and timing.  Who knows, maybe it will change next year!

I can kind of understand it as a first step against spammers.  Just need a way to weed out the extra anxious people - lol

I am defintely still struggling with the eating.  It's a whole new way of thinking for me.  I have been counting calories in some form for so long it is weird not weighing anything.  Right now, it is just trying to get rid of any guilt associated with food.  Like, it's ok to buy bagged lettuce and pre-cut veggies and fruit if it gets me eating them.  It's ok to eat some fat every meal.  Skin is gooood!

I still find myself trying to reward with food.  I think that will be a big one to over come.  I deadlifted like a beast today, so I was going to go out for a celebratory meal, but instead, I went to the store, bought some hummus, trail mix, a piece of cake and went home to make the food I had planned.  The trail mix was to have something in my stomach while I cooked.  The hummus is because it was a good deal and the cake was for deadlifting.  Not great, but still better than a whole cheat meal.  Who knows, it might be too sweet for me anyways.

I think it's going to be a struggle for a while.  I just have to be prepared for it.  It won't be a perfect journey, but it will happen.  I just need to remember that to reward my body, it likes good for you food :)  

The only advice I have is some questions to ask that I got from camp

- Before eating a treat or snack or something that isn't the healthiest, ask yourself: 1. Do I really want it?  Am I really hungry?  Am I using this because I am feeling something else?  2.  Will it taste as good as I think it will?  3.  Will I feel better after I eat it?  No guilt, no bad feelings.  If so, go for it.  It has really helped me with snacking

- When eating, if you think you need more, ask yourself - Am I really still hungry?  Am I just thirsty?  Can I have sex in 15 minutes if I eat more? ;)  Makes you rethink eating more because it's there.  It has helped me from over eating. 

- When I think I want more, I also might stand up or walk a little before a snack or second serving.  It does take time to actually get that full feeling

- One last thing from camp:  Before eating, take 5 deep breaths.  Focus on the delicious food in front of you.  Enjoy it, take your time eating.

Hope that helps :)

50 minutes ago, brandyb1027 said:

The only advice I have is some questions to ask that I got from camp

- Before eating a treat or snack or something that isn't the healthiest, ask yourself: 1. Do I really want it?  Am I really hungry?  Am I using this because I am feeling something else?  2.  Will it taste as good as I think it will?  3.  Will I feel better after I eat it?  No guilt, no bad feelings.  If so, go for it.  It has really helped me with snacking

- When eating, if you think you need more, ask yourself - Am I really still hungry?  Am I just thirsty?  Can I have sex in 15 minutes if I eat more? ;)  Makes you rethink eating more because it's there.  It has helped me from over eating. 

- When I think I want more, I also might stand up or walk a little before a snack or second serving.  It does take time to actually get that full feeling

- One last thing from camp:  Before eating, take 5 deep breaths.  Focus on the delicious food in front of you.  Enjoy it, take your time eating.

Thanks for advice! I certainly like how to tell if you still want more :P

As for your struggle, I'm sorry I don't have any definite advice for you. But it sounds like you've prepared for a struggle, and are currently taking small steps to improve yourself, and that sounds pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Well, in my first week, I had one day that I didn't complete everything on the list.  I am not sure what that means in the Challenge world - if I fail or keep going.  I am currently still going.  All my updates are posted in my Battle Log.  I've gotta say, I am really liking the clean apartment!  Of course, now that everything is picked up, I'm gonna have to start some scrubbing soon.  The hardest is the PT exercises.  I thought it would be the Fast Food, but I am still riding the afterglow of camp.  Veggies are really easy because I can just have a salad!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, brandyb1027 said:

I am not sure what that means in the Challenge world - if I fail or keep going.  I am currently still going.

Always keep going~

I mean that even if you fail, which IMVHO missing one day in a week at a new and challenging thing in your life likely should not count as a fail!

Good work :D

2955436e7859e3385947d5cf6373ea75.gif

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ixaera said:

Always keep going~

I mean that even if you fail, which IMVHO missing one day in a week at a new and challenging thing in your life likely should not count as a fail!

Good work :D

That's kind of what I was thinking, too.  Overall, it's such positive changes that I want to keep going!  That I can't wait to do it again!  LOL

• Like 1