Issue with bodyweight lunges

Hey all, so this is a very recent development. I normally do some lunges as part of my workout, but suddenly when I bring my right knee to the ground, I feel a sharp pain in my right thigh. Only on the right side. It feels fine when I stretch it out or try to do anything else with it, but as soon as I try a lunge, the pain is back. Any thoughts?

Liveforwonder's Quest Log

1 2

Walking to Mordor - Hobbiton to Rivendell: 97.1 miles out of 458

11 minutes ago, liveforwonder said:

Hey all, so this is a very recent development. I normally do some lunges as part of my workout, but suddenly when I bring my right knee to the ground, I feel a sharp pain in my right thigh. Only on the right side. It feels fine when I stretch it out or try to do anything else with it, but as soon as I try a lunge, the pain is back. Any thoughts?

How many/often are you doing them, and what is the weight distribution between the front and rear feet?

5 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

How many/often are you doing them, and what is the weight distribution between the front and rear feet?

About 4 days before, I had done maybe twenty lunges on each side? So the day the pain started, all the soreness was gone and I felt fine. I think the front (in this case left) foot was probably taking most of the weight. I hadn't felt any pain or anything the day I had done lunges before.

Liveforwonder's Quest Log

1 2

Walking to Mordor - Hobbiton to Rivendell: 97.1 miles out of 458

7 hours ago, liveforwonder said:

About 4 days before, I had done maybe twenty lunges on each side? So the day the pain started, all the soreness was gone and I felt fine. I think the front (in this case left) foot was probably taking most of the weight. I hadn't felt any pain or anything the day I had done lunges before.

There could be a handful of reasons, including knee tracking or even just a knotty quad. One of the best things you can do it take some video and post it there in form check thread for better feedback. 

• Like 2
On 9/28/2016 at 6:47 AM, Akura said:

Well, my trainer told me, that the rear! foot should carry most of the weight. And that most people do it wrong...

Either your trainer is wrong or you misheard.  Drop into a lunge really quick.  Look at where your torso is in relation to your legs.

The rear foot is there for balance, it will take "some" of the weight, but not most of the weight.  The lunge targets a lot of muscles, but the primary movers are in the front leg.  When you "stand" back up, you are PUSHING with your front leg, driving down through your heel, glutes and quads are the primary movers in that leg.  If done properly, you shouldn't push off with the back toe much if at all.  The leg that moves your body is the one that is taking the most weight.

Good way to really feel this is to trade in those stationary lunges for some walking lunges.  Drop the weight from what you are used to (trust me on this) or go with no weight at all.  A properly executed walking lunge does not involve standing up between reps.  As the rear leg leaves the ground on each lunge, it keeps moving forward until it becomes the front leg and the former front leg becomes the rear leg.  Do 10 reps on each leg, and you'll find out quick which muscles are the main movers and which leg is taking the most weight.