• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grymm

A Clockwork Grymm

Hello everybody!  With the exception of Friday, diet has been good.  Friday was a friend's 30th birthday so that was really bad.  I've been doing the stretches and I think it's helping.  Back is probably at 95%.  The last 5% will probably linger a bit as things do.  Water intake has been good although I'm out of a groove at work.  I've been drinking more water when I get home to make up for being short at work.  It's been busy and hectic.

The real reason I haven't been on the forums is probably 90% because season 1 of Luke Cage came out on Netflix.  That's occupied the vast majority of the time I might otherwise spend on the forums.  Also, I watched 1 football game and the VP debate.  That's 5 hours more television than I normally watch.

I played volleyball Monday night. We lost against a high level team, but it was competitive (2-1 with 2 of the games going to extra points).  The back didn't bother me, but my calves got real tight and angry just 10 minutes in.  I hadn't played a game at full strength in 3 months.  Is it still DOMS if there is no delay?  Anyway, *OMS from my traps to my calves.  I stretched after and could hit below parallel without my hips rolling.  I also foam rolled trying to decrease the *OMS a bit.  I think it helped.

Yesterday, I got a walk in, stretched, and did 3x5x135 deadlifts.  Today, no ill effects from the deadlifts so we'll progress quickly from there.  In a day or two, I'll look into setting up a coaching appointment to get my squats checked out before I resume those.

Cool story, bro.

• Like 7

Also, my phone got stepped on at the party Friday.  It looks like after over 4 years of service, it's going to be retired.  Samsung Galaxy S7?  New Google Pixel XL?  What to do, what to do?  I need something shiny.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Also, my phone got stepped on at the party Friday.  It looks like after over 4 years of service, it's going to be retired.  Samsung Galaxy S7?  New Google Pixel XL?  What to do, what to do?  I need something shiny.

I'm eyeballing that Pixel hardcore, yo

I know there's some hate on the price and how it's not THAT much better than a Nexus 6P, but

NEW SHINY GIMME

8 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Samsung stuff is catching on fire every time you turn around, soo....I vote pixel.

Can you name a cell phone that is more exciting though?  It could go at any moment!

In truth, I find that Samsung makes good stuff, explosions not withstanding.  I don't have much experience with HTC who likely makes the Google Pixel.

4 hours ago, Grymm said:

Welcome to the new world brother. Good to see you and happy to hear about those deadlifts!

Quick update:  Tried to catch up with the warrior challenges, but 90 minutes of reading seems to barely have put a dent in it.  I'll get back at it tomorrow.  I want to catch up.

Got home from work and went for a walk.  As it's dark before I get home, I'm glad I stocked up on obnoxiously bright clothing.

Then a quick light workout for evaluation purposes:

Bench: 135x5, 5, 10

Pendlay:  135x10, 5, 5

Both felt good although my mid back is definitely tight from volleyball and the walk - not injury related.  Time to do some stretching.

• Like 5

I'm now fully caught up with the warrior challenges.  Friday I did a walk and some stretching.  Today, I went and did some squats for the first time in two? three? weeks.  

S: 2x5x45, 5x95, 5x125

It was just some light work to see if the motion would bother me.  I've got (3) take aways:

1.  Shoulder flexibility, while not improved, is not worse from the layoff.

2.  No back pain specifically.  I wouldn't say it felt rock solid.  I was not inclined to go upwards and look for when it might start hurting.  I'm trying to squat a little more upright, specifically thoracic extension which is not a strong suit.  I had a lot of the weird pinching sensation I get between a couple ribs in my back.  Usually, this goes away after warm ups, but I really didn't squat enough to be warmed up.

3.  I think I'm good to schedule a coaching appointment to re-learn to squat (or just find some cues to keep my back locked in). 

I wasn't going to do any squats and just work up to heavier deadlifts, but I needed some quad work.  When I lose tone in my quads, my patellas become loose which leads to all sorts of strange pinching and accidental hyperextensions while just standing.

• Like 5

On 10/8/2016 at 6:42 PM, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Excited to see how the coaching goes for you! 

So second! Guidance ftw, I'm all about it these days ;) 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2016 at 4:59 PM, Grymm said:

3.  I think I'm good to schedule a coaching appointment to re-learn to squat (or just find some cues to keep my back locked in). 

Maybe inquire about that safety bar and how to use it properly we were talking about in my thread.  I had zero pain after going to 1RM last week with it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Broba Fett said:

Maybe inquire about that safety bar and how to use it properly we were talking about in my thread.  I had zero pain after going to 1RM last week with it. 

I lift at home, and I'm probably not going to buy one.  It can take some strain off the shoulders, but my shoulders don't bother me.  I don't see it changing the range of motion of the hips.  Maybe it helps with thoracic extension some.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Minor update:

Went for a walk and stretched Sunday.

Played volleyball Monday (played well, won, but the other team wasn't very good)

Diet has been pretty good.  Weighed in at 272.6# this morning which is -4 for this challenge.  I'm not sure I buy that.  Some of it might be random fluctuation.

• Like 2

My knees were bothering me a bit today (patellar tendons) so I took a walk, did some more squats, and did some stretching and lacrosse ball rolling.

S:  2x5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x165

No pain, but it's not super comfortable.  I don't feel locked in.  A little light work will help the healing process finish and allow me to work with some confidence when I get coaching.  It wouldn't be much help to go and only squat 135# and have one thing holding me back significantly.  

11 hours ago, Grymm said:

My knees were bothering me a bit today (patellar tendons) so I took a walk, did some more squats, and did some stretching and lacrosse ball rolling.

S:  2x5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x165

No pain, but it's not super comfortable.  I don't feel locked in.  A little light work will help the healing process finish and allow me to work with some confidence when I get coaching.  It wouldn't be much help to go and only squat 135# and have one thing holding me back significantly.  

Have you tried voodoo floss at all? I can bring mine this weekend if you'd like to give it a shot!

2 hours ago, ~RedStone~ said:

Have you tried voodoo floss at all? I can bring mine this weekend if you'd like to give it a shot!

My knees bother me from not lifting rather than from lifting.  They feel pretty good during squats but going down stairs, not so much.

2 hours ago, Grymm said:

My knees bother me from not lifting rather than from lifting.  They feel pretty good during squats but going down stairs, not so much.

It's not for lifting per say, you use them with BW squats to ease some space into the compacted tissue surrounding the joint. It can help alleviate all sorts of pain...

So, update time.

I've been back lifting light for the last week.  My squat form seems to be coming back to normal.  I've contacted a coach and will be working on an appointment.  Diet kind of took a detour over the weekend but worth it.  This week's project will be building my Halloween costume.  I usually start this much earlier for more complicated creations, but this year dragged my feet a bit.  The costume shouldn't be too hard.  I'm still waiting on one Amazon delivery.

Physically:

Back - I have a little minor back pain to one side, but it doesn't seem related to the injury.  I think this is just a byproduct of sitting in a car for a while, poor posture, not lifting, etc.  It doesn't seem to affect anything, and it's quite minor.  We'll just call this "random things that sometimes hurt a little after age 30."

Hips - Hip mobility actually seems pretty good.  After my volleyball warm ups, I was able to drop down into a pretty solid, parallel bodyweight squat, and it was stable.  I'm often not stable in that position.  I *think* my squat depth over the weekend was sufficient, but I didn't ask.  Hip rolling was minimal but the weight was light.

Knees - These have settled down.  Maybe it just took a couple weeks of playing volleyball at full speed.  Also, I've had a few days off from my lake walks, but I don't think these contribute much to the issue.

Shoulders - Since I stopped with the dislocates, shoulder issues have been gone.  Lifting (press and row and prior rehab work) seem to have stabilized the shoulder, and the tendonitis was definitely caused by the dislocates.

Neck - got a crick in my neck overhead pressing with @Emerald_Dragonfly at the gathering, but she is too strong and I broke.  Luckily, it was more of an awkward spasm than an injury.  After a good warm up for volleyball and some rolling, it's pretty much gone.

I'd say physically I'm a B+ right now.  If I can work up to a 185 or 225 squat comfortably prior to a coaching, I'll raise that to A-.  Once I'm back on my program, solid A.

• Like 2