Fat Girl Rips Her Clothes

I had one of the most humiliating experiences of my life recently. I was out shopping and found an amazing corset. Even better, it was my size. The attendant had just finished lacing me into it and as I reached over to put on the lovely little jacket that came with it, when a loud ripping sound filled the dressing room. The corset had split up the entire side. The attendant was super kind and did everything in her power to not let me feel bad about it, but nothing can really erase the thoughts that ran through my head at that time.

Now I realize that they were probably weak seams or poorly made, but that instant was a tipping point for me. Everyone always told me that I needed to want to loose weight for health reasons, but I am totally OK with just wanting to fit into average size clothes. I'm sick of finding beautiful clothes and not finding them in my size; of having my work uniform look like a tent because they are not designed for my shape; of being worried that my dance partner will drop me (it's happened more than once).

I have set a deadline of Sept 1st 2017 to reach the first leg of my weight loss goal. (I will be starting my Masters Degree) I want to drop 4 dress sizes and 40lbs. I know I need to improve my diet, my fitness level and take care of my back injury. I have taken the first steps by eating fairly regularly, keeping a food/activity/sleep log, making it habit to walk 2.7 miles to work every night and keeping most sweets out of the house. I am using this 4 week challenge to improve my water intake, my fruit and veggie intake and to start walking home after work.

I need help getting my daily pt done though. I have tried cash rewards, setting everything up, next to my bed, so I have to walk over it to get out of bed, I have tried to keep a log of when I actually do my pt, but that fizzles after 3-4 days. Ideally I'd like to do my pt twice a day. It only takes 12 minutes so it should be manageable. My biggest problem is I'm very tired after doing it (really strange because it's just mild stretches) and I hate that feeling. Anyone have any ideas, helpful work arounds, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 9

Khajiit Assassin in Training

“Even the word Hopeless...isn't void of Hope."

Is there anything fun or interesting that you could tie to your PT? Like an audio book or playlist that is only for PT time? I was having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, and realized that there wasn't anything I looked forward to in my morning routine, so I decided to watch half an hour of a favorite show while getting ready and packing my lunch. If you can connect an "ugh, this again" to a "yeah, time for this!" it might help. Or add something energizing at the end to get your energy back up again?

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

I'm not sure how I could adapt your ideas to my lifestyle. Maybe make it mandatory to do something before I get breakfast, or before I can eat dinner???

I've tried bribes before, but maybe it's time to revisit that idea. If I do well through the whole week, I can have a dessert sometime during the weekend if I do (set goal)...

18 hours ago, liveforwonder said:

Hmm. Maybe you don't need to do it all at once? If you have the time, you could space it out so you only do a couple stretches at a time, and eventually do it all.

I never thought to do that, I'm such an "all or nothing" type of person that only doing some at a time never occurred to me. That is a great idea and I'm going to try it. Maybe work up to doing 3 full sets at once, but focus on just trying to get each stretch in at some point in my day. Thank you very much for the idea. 

Bribery probably won't work for long.  (It's never worked well for me either.)  What @stealthstitcher was suggesting was having a reward (or a distraction) DURING your workout.  For example, put on an audiobook (tv, podcast, zombie app, pokemon...)  while you do your stretches, and only play the audiobook while you're doing the exercises. Then you would be motivated to exercise, since that's the only time you get to listen to your book.

if by "PT" you mean "physical therapy," as ordered by your medical provider, then you better dang well do it because your doctor said so.  You don't want your injuries to go on and on and on, right?  So put on the big girl shorts and do your stretches.   You've had that body all your life and you move it every day.  Making a fuss over a few extra prescribed moves is silly.  Think of it like brushing your teeth.  It's not optional (well it is, but it's so easy and the consequences for not doing it are so horrible that any sane person would opt for doing it).  Breaking it up throughout the day is a great idea, just put a checklist on your phone to make sure you're getting them all done.  You might as well start with once a day, if it's hard for you mentally to get used to it.  You can work up to twice a day later.

If you meant "physical training" as in an exercise routine you came up with... you know you're allowed to do any kind of exercise you want, right?  If you hate the kind you assigned to yourself, all you have to do is change it.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

For me looks, aesthetic and weight always failed after the first two weeks. 

I geared towards performance....and boom, it's like a light switched on. What exercises will help with dancing? Sign up for a yoga/pilates class. Do something where you're trying to hit physical goals and then EAT for those goals as well. Find dancers you admire, the top in your division (I have no idea what that's called in dance terms) and follow them on social media. Find out what they do, how else they work out, how they eat. Once I started molding my life like the endurance and OCR athletes I wanted to compete with I started seeing big changes. 

You might fall in love with a new exercises and become inspired to do something you never thought you'd do!

• Like 5

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Question: Do you have a true vision of where you want to be? Like given a pencil and paper, could you easily draw what you want?

I had the same issues as you did for a long, long, long, long... (you get the point) time. It wasn't until recently that I realized that my issue was that I did not have a clear objective. Yes, I wanted to get to 180lbs and be able to buy clothes that don't start with the letter 'X', but my true vision was not there. But, I kept coming back and failing, but kept coming back anyways. Eventually I got a trainer, and found two new tools.

1) PRs. I always have been competitive, so trying to beat my own personal best is difficult. (A huge change occurred to me when I realized "PR" meant "Personal Record".) It took the trainer telling me over and over, and over again for me to stop comparing myself to the guy doing twice as much next to me. Instead, I use him for motivation. "I'm going to do as much as that guy soon, plus my form is already better!" Like I said, competitive. I also am working towards exercises and things I cannot do yet. Pull-ups, back flips, and long jumps here I come! I always end my supersets by saying "C'mon! One more!" and push myself to do one more rep than I thought possible (sometimes I can't go fully into it, but that's perfectly fine). If I can reach that rep easily, I mark it in my head to increase the weight next time. Now that I've been working out seriously for a bit, I love pushing myself and seeing myself struggle through a workout, because it means I'm doing it right (no pain, though. Pain is bad. Also, stomach issues are an immediate sign for me to stop my workout and call it a day. I can always come back the next day).

2) Vision. Once a week or so, I try to envision myself in the future as a drawing. Every once in a blue moon, I hug this guy (in my head) and try to get a feel for his emotions and his physical feel. I call him "New Matt." I think about what he can do, and what he has done. I think about the environment. I make it so real that I can barely separate his environment from my own (i.e. out of body experience?). And then I use that as a focusing point. I will become him. It also helps me see little things I can do to get closer to my goals, or areas where I disillusioned myself into thinking I needed to wait. I can wear short, or buy a nice car now. I can go ahead and date that girl. I'll reach my goal soon enough, so I might as well work on the rest of me during the journey.

• Like 8

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/89458

IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH ANY OF MY GOALS, PLEASE CONTACT ME! Even if it's just "here's a link to workouts".

I like doing martial arts (including swords), coding (Java and basic HTML webpages), and small-scale bit art (thus the avatar). I like dancing too, but the fancy kind. Except Latin. I suck at Latin. I need a Latin teacher.

Hey Snuggles, the most difficult thing for me always and probably always will be sticking in there, when I don't readily see results. 

The problem is that most results in "weight loss" are invisible. Even weight loss itself is a lie because you'll get heavier if you build up muscle. The problem is, that the picture of the scale has been so ingrained in our minds, that it will kill our motivation even if there are super cool stuffs happening in our bodies. 

I am one to talk, ain't I? I am just the same. 

But I also set my eyes on different goals and those actually do MAKE a difference: eat clean and healthy 5 days out of seven (with pre-frozen portion sizes. Makes it super easy), Walk three miles home from work with music on my ears to de-stress, get up from my desk every hour and do some stretches. 

That's all small goals and most of them are not geared to reducing the number on the scale, though funnily, in the long term, they do. 

Now I'm trying to haul my ass out of bed earlier to go running, but ugh...

Maybe set a doable short term goal for the PT (and yes, I know how annoying that is. Absolutely. I hate PT): 

Not tell yourself, you will do your PT daily from now on, but fix it to a certain date.

You will do your PT every day until November 11th! 

And cross it off an openly visible calendar. 

This is how I stoppped smoking. I told myself, I'm not going to Smoke until October 24th (six months) and when it got rough, this was my go to date: Only until October, then I can start again. (Fun fact: I didn't :D) This and encouragement by my friends got me through the really hard times. Only until October 24th. 

• Like 4

I started my fall cleaning so although things are a bit messy, I am doing a little bit every day and it should be done by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to a refreshed space and room to get my PT done without interruption. Another option is to leave 30 minutes early for work and do my PT at the gym there. I'll try both and see what works better, or maybe use both of them. 

I got an amazing psychological boost when I weighted myself and found I had lost 14 lb's. Between that and finding a local tango group, I really want to get my PT into a regular thing. I love Tango, but when I don't keep up with my PT I can't do it. Hopefully that will be my incentive. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I love Tango, but when I don't keep up with my PT I can't do it. Hopefully that will be my incentive. 

This will be a great incentive. I go to a belly dancing class. I noticed that I can technically do a shimmy correctly, but it's small (hips don't move very "high"). I asked my teacher why this might be, thinking it was just my body shape (I'm built like a rectangle, not an hourglass) but she suggested I needed more flexible hips and that yoga can help. So now I do yoga every weekday morning to improve my shimmy!

You're going to do great. I know you can do it. :)

• Like 3
On 12.10.2016 at 5:19 AM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I started my fall cleaning so although things are a bit messy, I am doing a little bit every day and it should be done by the end of the week. I'm looking forward to a refreshed space and room to get my PT done without interruption. Another option is to leave 30 minutes early for work and do my PT at the gym there. I'll try both and see what works better, or maybe use both of them. 

I got an amazing psychological boost when I weighted myself and found I had lost 14 lb's. Between that and finding a local tango group, I really want to get my PT into a regular thing. I love Tango, but when I don't keep up with my PT I can't do it. Hopefully that will be my incentive. 

FOURTEEN!? Wow! Well done!

And yeah, dancing is wonderful. Hang in there! I believe in you! And the idea with leaving half an hour earlier to use the gym is pretty nifty. So that if you can. 

• Like 2

So I finally finished my fall cleaning. I just have to give the floor a quick vacuum when I get home this morning. I found a local Tango place and I really want to go so fingers crossed. I want to see what I can do in regards to my PT this week with no judgement (which will be my biggest challenge) just to get a baseline of where I'm at and what I can do. My pt stretches are very simple:

• Trunk Rotation 10 times
  • Bridge 10 times
  • Spinal stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides
  • Dog to Camel pose 10 times
  • Quadriceps Stretch, Hold for 15 seconds 3 times both sides
  • 10 shoulder circles, front and back

I want to work up to 3 sets daily.

• Like 3

On 10/17/2016 at 3:10 AM, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

So I finally finished my fall cleaning. I just have to give the floor a quick vacuum when I get home this morning.

Setting up your space for success is a great start! Also reduces the excuses to not get it done. How has it been going? 

• Like 2

Level 3 Human | Apocalypse Survivor

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Challenge Spreadsheet | Meal Plan Spreadsheet | Workout Spreadsheet

On 12/15/2016 at 2:12 PM, GoldLynx said:

Hey! How are things going? We're cheering for you! :) 

Thank you. Things are going pretty good. I'm down just over 20lbs, without really trying, but I really need to focus on my Physical Therapy so I can start being more active. My big project for this week is to set up some long term goals for the next couple of years that will

a more active and healthy lifestyle. 

On 12/23/2016 at 0:45 PM, The Legendary Zoltan said:

Are you not interested in doing strength training

I am, but I have some real back problems and need to focus on doing my physical therapy and getting that back in order. My greatest challenge is actually doing my physical therapy. It has been a main challenge for the last 3 challenges with no success. 

13 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I am, but I have some real back problems and need to focus on doing my physical therapy and getting that back in order. My greatest challenge is actually doing my physical therapy. It has been a main challenge for the last 3 challenges with no success. 

Without being there or really knowing exactly what your situation is, I would say that your physical therapy is a good starting place since it's challenging but possible. In the case of strength training, you could always start super light until you feel comfortable with adding a little weight. Or you could try easier versions of bodyweight exercises. But all of this is coming from a person who is largely ignorant of your situation. I have confidence that there IS a way to get you strong and loving life again.

• Like 1

First off: congrats on the 14lbs down, that's awesome. Second off: I just want to talk a little about what helped me and might help you.

I understand PT being challenging. I've gone to PT twice (over 2 years) for the same problem. Honestly I was doing great the first time around. Then I started to slip. Then I just didn't do it at all. I figured nah I'll just do stuff at the gym and that'll cover both bases. Wrong. The second time around that I went to PT they told me I still have the same defect essentially, but I found out what is actually causing it and what I can do to fix it.

My kneecaps both track to the outsides of my legs. In this case, they click when I bend them like going up or down stairs, and often results in a sharp pain starting in front under the patellar groove and moving up over the patella to the outside of my thigh. It hurts, it's painful, it's with me everyday and it causes me to make more excuses why I can't do things. I practice Aikido and there is a LOT of kneeling, rolling, getting up, falling down, and movement that aggravates it. The problem apparently is that I have weak inner thigh muscles, and strong outer thigh muscles. The stronger ones pull the tendons, which pull my kneecaps, to the outside. I have to strengthen the inner ones. So in my head when I was told that I'm thinking "No s*** Sherlock, I'm over weight, I'm soft in most areas...and that's one of the hardest places to tone!"

I'm not telling you this to say my problem is worse than yours or that your problem is an easy fix; rather that I've taken a new approach and maybe that's what you need. Don't make yourself feel guilty or shamed if you don't do it. Even if I only did my PT once a week - I've done it. More recently I've moved to just do it whenever the mood strikes me - but I've done it. I think it'll become a better habit as time moves on, but I'm focusing on the bigger picture - my thighs need help. So I'm working on doing some bodyweight exercises I Googled, like squats, to help. I also found a great app that I'm using for my first challenge called HabitBull. I set specific goals and reminders on my phone. Having a visual reminder of when I did or didn't do something (because I couldn't or chose not to) helps me to get back on or stay on track. Maybe that's something you could use.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Feel free to reach out anytime.

60Whiskey – “That others may live”

Race: Lycan // Class: Monk // Faction: Havik

Challenge: Alpha, Beta

You're doing a great job after all. Maybe you need to motivate yourself more and always keep your goals on track. Being healthy is always a good thing which will help you get rid of health problems and complications, but being in good shape or being physically fit is way better since it will build up your confidence and give you a positive outlook in life.