• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FemmeHawke

FemmeHawke is Normally 'Awkwardly Early'

Seriously. I'm that person who will show up to the designated room for a work meeting about 5min early. Sitting by myself. Awkwardly. And now here I am, showing up late for the challenge...but hey, at least I'm here, so, here.we.goooooo!

gif_400x225_9fe261.gif?w=640

Awwhhh-yeah! Some awkward Shepherd-shuffle! I am back from 'shore leave', after all. Which is the theme of this challenge: recovering from shore leave, getting back on track, and continuing to be awesome.

Goal One: Back to Good Habits, get Moving:

Measure: Be active 4x/week. Being active could mean: walking home from work, or going for a long walk after work; running; weights; kettle bell workout DVD; Fitness Blender workout; or horseback riding (after my assessment lesson, whoo-boy! I almost forgot all the muscles that riding uses...they were yelling at me the next day!). If it is walking, it has to be at least 45min (this is how long it takes me to walk home from work, for example). 

Points System: 

5 pts. for every day that I am active. Perfect Score: 20pts (4 rounds of activity). 

Goal Two: Figuring out this Food Thing 

Measure: my digestion is back on track? While I was away on vacation, everything seemed good; even though I did slip-up a few times and had bread and/or dairy (cream in my coffee), however, digestion wasn't off or anything. However, I'm back in 'eating better' mode, at least I think, and things seem off. It could the the thyroid meds speeding everything up, but I'm not sure. So, going back to basics again and tracking my food to see if I can find any patterns. 

Points System: 

5 pts. for every day that I track food. Possible total: 35/week.

Goal Three: Still Need More Sleeeeeep. 

Measure: getting at least 7.5hrs of sleep. I was starting to get into a decent routine of getting min. 7.5hrs of sleep...but then shore leave totally threw me off track with way different hours than is normal for me. So, time to get back on track! 

Points System:

5 pts. (are you seeing a pattern?) for every night I get 7.5+ hrs of sleep. Possible total: 35/week. Bonus Round: I keep the same sleep schedule on the weekends. 5 Bonus Points if I do this. 

Leveled-Up Life Goal:

Surprise! It's not actually dissertation related (note: I'm still working on it, but, I will be until I get it done, so, it's just assumed to be there). Towards the end of this challenge, I have a presentation/workshop to run for a different department at work, so, I want to be at a point when the workshop happens that I'm ready for it and I don't stammer and blush too much; because presentations make me really, really nervous. I want to be less nervous! I'll never be a professional speaker by any means, but I want to get to a point where I don't feel like vomiting at the thought of it. 

I've scheduled it in my in my work calendar to practice and prep 3x/week. At minimum I must do that. I'm not going to 'grade' this one in a points system, unlike the other goals, as really, the measure is how well I do at the workshop and how I feel about it. I will, however, check-in on how I'm prepping and feeling about it leading up to the workshop. 

--

Overall Grading: 

Perfect Score: 360 (90pts/week) 

Solid Work: 300 (75pts/week)

Pass: 260 (65pt/week. 65 of a total possible of 90 is about 72%)

--

So! The week so far:

Activity: I walked home from work on Monday and Tuesday. Got a bit of a bonus on Tuesday by going for a walk during lunch. Woo! That's 2 for the week so far! I ran on Saturday as well, but it wasn't technically part of the challenge week, so, I won't count it. I'm still proud/happy I went though, since it was the day after my riding lesson - and my legs were all "wtf did you just do???". 

Food: Haven't started tracking yet, going to do that tonight. 

Sleep: This has been my worst so far. Sunday night I got 7.5, but Monday and Tuesday night were less than 7. I'm feeling it, that's for sure! So, will get back on track tonight and be in bed by 9:20. 

Hope everyone else is having fun and kicking ass!!! :livid: *grrrr!*  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Hey! I have to say, I'm loving the theme, though wondering why you picked Hawkeye for your username rather than the Inquisition or Waedrden :P

Those look like some great goals, and good luck with your presentation!

Thanks! :) And that's a good question! I think it's because how 'normal' or average, relatively speaking, Hawke is vs. the Inquisitor (with the mark), and the Warden (with the whole surviving the taint thing). A lot of 'hard work' vs. 'hard work + special power' (well, which could be a limitation in the case of the Warden, and was a limitation (later) for the Inquisitor...but I think you know what I mean :) ). It's that 'step-by-step' progress and work that I think is a good model for these challenges (it's also why I like the Mass Effect series and FemShep). Now, as far as the games actually go, I think I might rank Inquisition #1, then Dragon Age: Origins, then DA II. They're all pretty neck-and-neck though, because I love them all!

Speaking of the challenge, points for today:

Activity: 5 points! Went for a 25min walk to my RMT apt., and then, a 40min walk to my bus after the apt. Yay walking!

Sleep: Managed to get 7.5hrs of sleep last night, huzzah! Another 5pts. 

Food Logging: Just about to do that. Also, I think I figured out what my digestive issue likely is - too much 'Natural Calm' (a magnesium sup.). That's the thing I didn't have on the cruise with me. So, I've cut way back on the does I was taking. I think I might skip a few days, make it every other. So, I'll have taken some tonight, then won't take any tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

Hope everyone is enjoying the challenge so far! 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2016 at 1:35 AM, FemmeHawke said:

Thanks! :) And that's a good question! I think it's because how 'normal' or average, relatively speaking, Hawke is vs. the Inquisitor (with the mark), and the Warden (with the whole surviving the taint thing). A lot of 'hard work' vs. 'hard work + special power' (well, which could be a limitation in the case of the Warden, and was a limitation (later) for the Inquisitor...but I think you know what I mean :) ). It's that 'step-by-step' progress and work that I think is a good model for these challenges (it's also why I like the Mass Effect series and FemShep). Now, as far as the games actually go, I think I might rank Inquisition #1, then Dragon Age: Origins, then DA II. They're all pretty neck-and-neck though, because I love them all!

I see what you mean, and I will have to agree with you. As for ranking DA, that's very hard. DA II will probably go last due to the repeating environment. DA:O probably first because I loved the story the most, even if I cannot stand the Deep Roads dungeon. It breaks me with boredom every time. DA:I is great, but I got sucked into the Hinterlands in my first playthrough, and everything got slow and a bit boring.

Nicely done with your challenge so far! And good luck with your magnesium. :D 

DARGON AGE!!!

Hey there!  I love your challenge, I really like the point system, that makes a lot of sense and seems much easier to follow than a grading scale.  I'm glad you figured out the diet thing.  Supplements are tricky business.  I hope that gets you back on track!

Your sleep goals sound awesome, and it looks like you're starting out LIKE A BAMF!  :applouse: Go you meeting the goals and doing the thing and actually achieving the literal points!

Do you have any plans for getting ready for your presentation at the end of the challenge? 

• Like 1

HelllooooOOoooOooo!

On October 1, 2016 at 6:45 AM, IAmInfinite said:

I see what you mean, and I will have to agree with you. As for ranking DA, that's very hard. DA II will probably go last due to the repeating environment. DA:O probably first because I loved the story the most, even if I cannot stand the Deep Roads dungeon. It breaks me with boredom every time. DA:I is great, but I got sucked into the Hinterlands in my first playthrough, and everything got slow and a bit boring.

Nicely done with your challenge so far! And good luck with your magnesium. :D 

Yeah, ranking it is pretty tough - they're all so close, and awesome! I'm with you on the repeating enviro in DA II, and, ugh, the Deep Roads were my least fave part of DA:O. It must be done...but damn it, why so boring??! A lot of "...haven't I been in this cavern already...?"

23 hours ago, Treva said:

DARGON AGE!!!

Hey there!  I love your challenge, I really like the point system, that makes a lot of sense and seems much easier to follow than a grading scale.  I'm glad you figured out the diet thing.  Supplements are tricky business.  I hope that gets you back on track!

Your sleep goals sound awesome, and it looks like you're starting out LIKE A BAMF!  :applouse: Go you meeting the goals and doing the thing and actually achieving the literal points!

Do you have any plans for getting ready for your presentation at the end of the challenge? 

Yaaaay Treva! Glad you're here! Mostly I've been scheduling in presentation stuff while I'm at work. Though, I have a feeling that since work is so darn busy, that I'll have to do some work at home too. I'm feeling okay about it so far, I keep reminding myself that it's a 'teaching moment', more than a presentation.

--

Week 1 Check in:

Workout Points: 20! I went for 4 walks. A nice way to ease back into the challenge and recover from shore leave!

Food tracking points: 10. I only tracked twice. Eek! I did, however, get my digestive issue figured out. Need to take less magnesium. So, I think I'm going to revise the 'tracking' to 'get back on track and no more gluten, and only dairy is goats milk'. So, 5pts for every day I eat well. 

Sleep: 25 pts. 20 for nights of 7.5hr+, and a 5pt. for keeping my schedule on Saturday (Sunday, not so much...).

Total points for the week: 55 out of a possible 95. Didn't pass this week, but I can up my average by kicking ass the next 3 weeks!!!

--

Week 2 so far:

Started off strong! Walked home on Monday (40min walk), and then did a 40min kettle-bell workout once I got home and changed into workout clothes. I used the walk as a warmup, then went into something tougher. Did lots of stretching after. I had a dr's apt. after work today, so I didn't get to do my usual walk home. Tomorrow I have horseback riding (WOOOO!), so, another workout - that'll be 3 by Wednesday. I have social plans after work Thursday, so, I'll do my walk home on Friday, maybe even another KB workout. I think we're going to watch a hockey game, so, depending on when that is - a walk might be all I get, but it'll still put me up to 4 for the week. Might even be able to get a run in on Saturday. 

Sleep: Sunday night was a rough night, didn't get a lot of sleep. Last night though, I was able to get 7.5, so, 5 of 10 so far. 

Food: As I'm switching to 'eat well' instead of tracking, Sunday and Monday were good; today, less so. I had a slice of pizza with my homemade chicken and rice soup. 10 of 15 points there. Still better than last week!

--

Time to go do some diss work for a bit, then make sure I get my 'meditation' (re: listen to nature sounds) in before bedtime. Keep on kicking ass everyone!!!