Blueberries Needs A Place For Workouts

This is mostly a place for me to keep track of my workouts, but feel free to jump in and make conversation if you don't want to see me talking to myself. :)

The TL;DR: Old-timey Warrior, sidelined for a couple of years for health issues, trying to make a comeback and starting from scratch, still have to be super careful due to aforementioned health things. Starting completely over with a blank slate for new PRs.

09/30/16

*Got in the 3rd workout of my current 3/week goal. Finally had a real barbell on my back again after working my way up with dumbbell bars and tiny plates! Super excited about that, and also incredibly humbled by how heavy even the empty bar felt.

*Going to take some time to get used to kilo maths again. 

Barbell Squats

Didn't want to mess around with these too much and add more weight or do an extra set, in case I pushed too hard too soon. I'm known to do that.

20kg x 5 x 3

OHP

Surprised myself by tacking on an extra set at the end because I felt good enough in set 3. 

20kg x 5 x 4

Deadlifts

I've missed deads like whoa. Pretty sure my legs/booty are going to be feeling those 2 extra sets in the morning, though.

40kg x 5 x 3

On 9/30/2016 at 0:56 PM, wildross said:

Wave!!

efdedcaa23d0c86834081818bca7278608d1ff1b

--------------------

10/02/16

I can't make 3 lifting workouts fit into my schedule this week, so I'm counting Sunday's bike ride with the littlest Wee Berry as one of my 3 workouts. As much as my legs were burning (hello, first time on a bike in probably 25 years!), I think it totally counts. Bonus points because he made fun of me. Three weeks ago, he couldn't ride a bike, and now he's making fun of me!

10/04/16

Got in some lifting this morning. I almost added one more lift at the end, but as part of my work on being really careful with all this, I decided it was better to quit while I still had a little something in the tank vs. later regretting having added one more. Spoiler: This will not be the last time I have this fight with myself.

Front Squat Thrusters

20kg x 5

23kg x 5 x 3

23kg x 3

20kg x 5

Barbell Good Mornings

20kg x 5 x 2

Deadlifts

50kg x 5

50kg x 3  <--- Not sure what happened there. Just hit a stop on the bottom and didn't even try a 4th rep.

50kg x 5 x 2

10/06/16

Dealing with some DOMs yesterday and today from my Good Mornings. At least I know my form was good, since I was hurting in the right places. :)

Still trying to figure out where my working weights are. Rather than adding too much extra weight right now (especially on bench where I'm working without a spotter), I'm erring on the side of adding extra sets beyond my 3x5 (or 1x5 on deads) if something is easy enough.

Back Squats

20kg x 5

28kg x 5 x 5

Bench Press

25kg x 5 x 5

Deadlifts

I think I could have done more here if not for the extra squat sets.

60kg x 5

60kg x 3

• Like 1

All the volume!

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

10/10/16

Not much volume today - I think I'm a whole lot closer to finding working weights now.

Back Squats

20kg x 5

35kg x 5 x 3

OHP

25kg x 5 x 3

25kg x 4 (Failed 5th rep)

Deadlift

Added 10kg over the last workout. I feel like my form might have been a little bit questionable, so I probably won't add much if any weight next time.

70kg x 5

• Like 1

10/12/16

Short and sweet this morning due to having a sickish Wee Berry with me (the benefits of not lifting in a gym?) and also due to interrupted sleep, courtesy of aforementioned Wee Berry. In retrospect, I shouldn't have even tried, but it's hard to justify missing one if at all possible since I know that I won't be able to squeeze a makeup workout into the week.

Front Squat Thrusters

20kg x 5

25kg x 5 x 3

25kg x 3

Barbell Good Mornings

20kg x 6 (distracted by Wee Berry and forgot how to count)

20kg x 5 x 2

Deadlifts

Going for a 1x5, but I think the bad sleep finally caught up with me.

70kg x 3 x 2

• Like 1

10/14/16

Sickish Wee Berry was cleared to go back to school today, so I got my third workout in and had no distractions. Woo! Also, I love that fancy KG bumper plates make my tiny lifts look huge. Big wheels, ftw!

Back Squats

20kg x 5

25kg x 4

38kg x 5 x 3

Bench Press

Still too light for a 3x5, but since I'm lifting without a spotter or any safeties, I'm kind of okay with that. I'd rather not get stuck, and at least it's a weight I can roll-of-shame if needed. Gonna have to figure out how to set it up with the rack I'm using sooner or later. An eventual question for the RHOP proprietor to see how he does it.

28kg x 5 x 5

Deadlifts

Switched to mixed grip to see if that would help my deadlift woes. Still felt really heavy, but it went up without nearly as much problem. Even added a bonus set!

70kg x 5 x 2

10/17/16

Nothing fancy. Except for two little almost-snafus during squats, everything went pretty well today. I think I was just not mentally in the game yet. Still adding weight successfully!

Back Squats

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

41kg x 5 x 3

OHP

Added a few extras after my last set to help with moar gainzzz.

27kg x 5 x 3

27kg x 4

Deadlifts

75kg x 5

• Like 1

10/19/16

Good workout today - I love the days that feel like a lot of hard work and yet pretty easy all at the same time. Squats are definitely getting harder, and I probably need to work on mobility for those more before the weights get legit heavy.

Back Squats

20kg x 5

30kg x 4

44kg x 5 x 3

Bench Press

Was aiming for a 3x5, weight is still easy enough for a 5x5. I'm pretty sure I actually did a 6x5, because I lost count of my sets and decided to err on the side of an extra set.

20kg x 3

31kg x 5 x 5 (maybe x6?)

Deadlifts

Did these with the RHOP's landscaping crew watching while they worked. No pressure.

80kg x 5

80kg x 1 x 2

• Like 1

10/21/16

Tired/dragging and needed (mentally?) to mix things up a little bit today. Felt much better after I got going (of course).

Front Squats

Wrist mobility needs work. I was really feeling them by the end of each set.

20kg x 5 x 2

30kg x 5

35kg x 5 x 3

Barbell Good Mornings

Had a little trouble finding the sweet spot so the bar wouldn't roll up toward my neck. Positioning like for a low bar squat seemed to help a little bit, though my shoulders have trouble opening up as much as they need to for that setup.

30kg x 5 x 3

OHP

Failed my 3x5, so I added a couple of triples and a slightly heavier double at the end.

30kg x 5 x 2

30kg x 3 <--Failed 4th rep, everything after is extra.

30kg x 3

30kg x 3

32kg x 2 <--This will probably be the next working weight after I get past 30kg.

Barbell Rows

Too light for a 3x5.

35kg x 5 x 5

• Like 1

10/24/16

Back Squats

Added 3kg today, yet the 3rd set of my 3x5 was so floaty that I added a 4th set just for more reps. Bodies are weird, yo.

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

47kg x 5 x 4 <--- I'm adjusting to kilo lifting again, but I feel compelled to point out that this is over 100 pounds

Bench Press

Added 4kg. Still haven't quite found my 3x5 weight, apparently.

35kg x 5 x 3

35kg x 4 <--- Probably could have had 5, but I didn't want to risk it and have to Roll of Shame

35kg x 5

35kg x 4

Deadlifts

I might or might not have had the 1x5, but I got in my own head.

85kg x 3

85kg x 2

85kg x 1

• Like 2

10/26/16

Not a lot of volume today, but I broke through previously failed OHP and deadlift attempts. I'll take that any day!

Back Squats

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

50kg x 5 x 3

OHP

Second attempt at a 30kg 3x5

30kg x 5 x 3

Deadlift

Second attempt at an 85kg 1x5

85kg x 5

• Like 1

11/01/16

Tough workout today. I dug back through some of my old challenges to find a template I used to use to incorporate in more cardio lifting since I'm going to have to do two days in a row. Mostly I just struggled aimlessly to figure out some things that would give me a successful workout without killing me for tomorrow. 

Barbell Rows

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

Dead Hang in Pull Up Position

2 x Mostly Fail (a few seconds each)

Kettlebell Swings

Maybe could have done a higher weight here, but the only other KB I could find at the RHOP was 16kg, which I felt like would be way too much.

8kg x 10

8kg x 9

8kg x 8

8kg x 7

8kg x 6

8kg x 5

8kg x 4

8kg x 3

8kg x 2

8kg x 1

OHP

My strength exercise for the day. Going for a 3x5 at 32kg on this one.

37kg x Walkout to feel the heavier weight and try to trick my body.

32kg x 3 <--- Now thinking I'd go for triples instead

32kg x 2 <--- Just kidding

32kg x 2

32kg x 2 <--- Thinking maybe I can grind out all 15 reps slowly anyway

32kg x Fail <--- Just kidding. I'll try my last working weight to finish it out.

30kg x 2

Jerks

I was debating between switching to push press or jerks, and I decided to try to put up a couple of sets of jerks for funsies.

35kg x Fail <--- Jerks over

OHP

Because I didn't want to end my workout like that

20kg x 6

20kg x 6

20kg x 6

• Like 1

11/02/16

Supposed to be another lightish day, focused mostly on lower body. Took the weight down a little on squats, but made (and failed) an attempt at the next working deadlift weight.

Back Squats

Started feeling headachy after my second working set, so I took long rests for the rest of the workout.

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

45kg x 6

45kg x 6

45kg x 6

30kg x 5

Barbell Good Mornings

30kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

Deadlifts

Tried to reset between reps like some other people have been talking about, and the weight just refused to come back off the ground.

90kg x 1 <--- 2nd rep wouldn't go

90kg x Fail

90kg x Fail <---Gave up and went light on the weight to finish out the day

60kg x 3

60kg x 3

• Like 1

11/04/16

Suuuuuuper draggy today, except, weirdly, for my squats. I woke up with the beginnings of scratchy in my throat, but I almost felt achy all over in the middle of OHP. Pretty positive that I'm not actually getting sick, so maybe just worn out.

Back Squats

Next 3x5 weight unlocked. Up to 55 or 56kg for the next attempt.

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

53kg x 5

53kg x 5

53kg x 5

OHP

3x5 attempt = yeah, no

10kg x 5

32kg x 4 <---This is when I knew it was going to be ugly

32kg x 3

32kg x 2

32kg x 2

32kg x 2

32kg x 2 <---Barely ground out that last rep

Barbell Rows

Lightish, just so I could finish out the workout without quitting

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

30kg x 5

• Like 1

11/07/16

Barefoot Lifting, because why not? Was feeling pretty awful over the weekend (maybe a cold?), so I was pleasantly surprised that I felt good enough to go lift today. Hoooooray for lots of sleep!

Back Squats

I've noticed that I'm starting to have to pause for an extra breath sometimes after the 4th rep. Good sign that these are feeling heavier lately.

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

55kg x 5

55kg x 5

55kg x 5

Bench Press

3kg jump over what was an easy 3x5+ two weeks ago. Harder than I expected, but I played around with my setup a little bit and that helped some

38kg x 5

38kg x 5

38kg x 5

Deadlifts

Going for 1x5.

90kg x 2

90kg x 2

90kg x 2

Accessory

• Planned to ab work post-workout, after discovering a jdang link in Marissa's challenge, but forgot. I did a little yesterday, though.
  • Mini stretches and foam rolling will be happening today. Rolling my hips and glutes out on the regular has been SO helpful.

• Like 1

11/09/16

Up too late like the rest of the USA. Eastern Time is particularly painful, and I didn't sleep well once I did get to bed. I'm going to have to do tomorrow also, if I want to get 3 lifting sessions in. Contemplating swimming or something else instead.

OHP

Went after these first to try to unstick my OHP. 2nd (3rd?) attempt at 32kg for 3x5. Several reps were super ugly, and there was a LOT of rebounding necessary but they all went up in the end.

32kg x 5

32kg x 5 <--- Barely ground out the last rep or two

32kg x 5 <--- Ground out the last rep

Touch and Go Deadlifts

At a fast pace

60kg x 6

60kg x 7

60kg x 7

60kg x 6 <--- Started to really notice that I was basically spent

60kg x 1 <--- Decided to call it good to not wreck my CNS

Abs

Did some. :)

Other

Have not done any stretching or foam rolling. Not sure I've got it in me, but the day is young.

• Like 1

11/14/16

Back Squats

They weren't the prettiest in the whole world, but they went up. 60kg next time, which is approximately the kilo version of squatting the big wheels. !!!

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

40kg x 2

58kg x 5

58kg x 5

58kg x 5

Bench Press

40kg x 5

40kg x 3 <--- Trapped. Might have been 2 reps, but I think it was 3.

40kg x 2 <--- Trapped.

40kg x 2 

40kg x 1 <--- Barely

Deadlifts

Will take one more attempt at 90kg before I deload.

90kg x 3 <--- Really thought I was going to get my 1x5

90kg x 3

Abs

Pitiful. My core is not strong, and that needs to be fixed.

Planks:

15s hold

3-5s rest

16s hold

3-5 s rest

5s hold

Dead Bug:

5 reps each side

5 reps each side

3 reps each side

• Like 1

11/16/16

Pretty straightforward workout today. Despite my brain's best efforts to talk me into skipping it, I did a quick round of abs at the end. I think I like sticking them at the end of my workouts, because I hate core work and will otherwise never do it.

Back Squats

Squatted blues today!!!

20kg x 5

30kg x 5

40kg x 2

60kg x 5

60kg x 5

60kg x 5

OHP

Repeated 32kg 3x5, even though I got it last time, in an attempt to do a better job with form.

32kg x 5 

32kg x 5 <--- slow descent on last rep (messed me up for the next set)

32kg x 4

32kg x 2

Barbell Rows

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

Core

Dead Bug: 5 reps/side for 4 sets

• Like 1

11/18/16

Started this one out wishing I still drank coffee. Yawned through my squat warmups, which never feels like a good sign. I've also noticed myself wanting to avoid deadlifts recently. Not sure what that's about.

Back Squats

My squat form has not been pretty lately, but the weight's still going up. I don't know yet if I'm okay with that for a little bit longer or not.

20kg x 5

30kg x 3

40kg x 2

62kg x 5

62kg x 5

62kg x 5

Bench Press

If Bench Press was a person, I'd have liked to kick it in the face for what it did to me today. I've had a nagging shoulder thing, which I thought I'd recently fixed, but was suddenly worse during bench press and even hurt on the lift off. 2nd attempt at 40kg 3x5.

40kg x 2.5 <--- Got trapped under the 3rd rep (on safeties), rested for 15-20s, then pressed it back up to the J-hooks

40kg x 1.5 <--- See above

40kg x Fail <--- *sigh*

30kg x 8

30kg x 6

30kg x 8

30kg x 6

Deadlifts

3rd attempt at 90kg 1x5. Success! It's about freaking time.

90kg x 5

Core

I really hate this, but I can't deny that I'm making progress on it, so I guess I suck it up and keep forcing myself. Strong (future) core > My whining.

Planks: (60s total hold)

30s hold

10s rest

15s hold

10s rest

15s hold

Dead Bug:

6 reps

5 reps

1 set of lying on the floor

3 reps

ETA: 

11/17/16

~15 minutes of trying out a beginner yoga video

• Like 1

11/22/16

I was pretty sure going in that this was going to be a "Do Whatever Gets the Bar and the Body Moving For Awhile" workout. Turned out to be spot on when my first two ideas fell apart. My first attempt at clean & jerks in several years felt really awkward and more like I was reverse curling the bar than anything resembling a clean. I'll probably work on that at some point, but today was not the day.

Clean & Jerks

30kg x 1.5 <--- half credit on the second, because I'm not even sure I remembered the jerk

Front Squat Thrusters

Decided to try these instead, but something felt really off with my wrist in the transition from squat to press.

35kg x 3

Front Squats

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

35kg x 5

OHP

Only 2kg less than my most recent successful 3x5.

30kg x 5

30kg x 4

30kg x 5

30kg x 4

30kg x 1

20kg x AMRAP (got 7)

Barbell Rows

40kg x 5

40kg x 5

40kg x 5

40kg x 5

Dead Bug Abs