• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hermione Gainser

Going to buy a heavy bag

I think.

Here is a link to the stand I want to buy.

The cons: I can't move around the bag. That's a bummer but I rent so I can't hang a bag from anywhere in my apartment. :(

The pros: I can hit a bag again (i miss boxing so much it hurts).

The question! Which bag do I get? How would I determine a good weight?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Aww I miss boxing too!!! I don't have much advice except for the fact that if it were me, I'd go heavier rather than lighter...? I hated those stands with the water in the bottom and the light bags - I'd always knock them over. But you won't have that problem with a stand I would guess.

At some point you'll have to post a video of you beating the stuffing out of that thing. That, and seeing Bruce doing his pro wrestling thing are numbers 1 and 2 on my wish list, in some order.

Yeah, heavier is definitely better. I'd love to have a few bags for different kinds of work but since I'm limited I want something I can wail on. BUT I don't want something so heavy it hurts to hit (we had a few of those at the gym. body shots sucked). I have NO idea what the weights were.

I used to have one of those, Mama T. I was thinking about getting another but I recall it being too easy to knock down. But, again, not sure how much mine weighed in comparison.

At some point you'll have to post a video of you beating the stuffing out of that thing. That, and seeing Bruce doing his pro wrestling thing are numbers 1 and 2 on my wish list, in some order.

I may be able to work that out.

OoooOOOoooooOooo, CK, very interesting.

How did you find the resistance? I imagine you've got some more oomph behind your punches but, ya know, generally? Ever feel like you were tipping it over? What else can you tell me about your experience with it?

Like I mentioned before its solid. It never tipped over, even after some sweet Chuck Norris type roundhouses. It does move different than a traditional heavy bag but I liked it.

Like I mentioned before its solid. It never tipped over, even after some sweet Chuck Norris type roundhouses. It does move different than a traditional heavy bag but I liked it.

That's interesting. I was just saying that I'd like a bag I could use for both boxing and kickboxing (the stand I linked to would not work well for kickboxing). This is becoming a very viable option.

Mmm, thing I miss most about martial arts is beating the crap out of the bag.

Though I think I'd need a chain mount. It seems like it would be hard to guage speed and power without a chain mount.

Hi Laura,

If you haven't bought anything yet, I would definitely recommend this: WaveMaster XXL

Free standing to work around and at 270 lbs it's not moving anywhere. A pretty strong striker can make it "scoot" a little bit, but if you strike and work around it you can keep it in the same general area.

I would not recommend the BOB for general bag work. It's fine if you want to work on some accuracy drills or have something in particular you want to focus on. Also, you can only strike BOB from the front & sides.

Good luck :)

-Adam

Hmm, I somehow missed some of these last replies... glad this was bumped.

Thanks for the additional info. I think Bob might be too specific for my general purposes (which will surely change on a regular basis). I do love to pummel the hell out of the bag (I also miss pad work).

Thanks guys!

fighter's inc. is having a sale on heavy bags (click here) and they have a couple of wall mounts. what i would recomment is rigging a beam using a 4x4 between two studs on two facing walls in a hallway and hang the bag on the beam when you are using it. if you're renting, carefully cut out a small piece of drywall high up on the wall in two places to expose the studs. Screw a bracket to hold up the beam. Should be easy to repair with spackle when you are ready to move away.

You could also get a cage or ring for your living room. If you get one, i'll donate the jello (up to 100 gallons).

Edited by ETFnerd

On a 4x4? Ouch.

That same rig could also be done with rigid steel conduit, something in the 2"-2 1/2" area or unistrut (2 pieces attached to each other would probably be best for a heavy bag load over a hallway+ span). The 'strut wouldn't be as good for pullups, but better than a 4x4. The benefits of both systems is a large amount of attachment accessories. Shouldn't be any more expenisive than wood (unistrut should be the cheapest option).

You could also rig up an attachment for the ceiling that barely damages the house/apt using unistrut. Find the ceiling studs/joists with a stud finder (everybody should have one of these, they are a necessary tool IMHO). Cut two unistrut rails 2' long or so and screw them in solidly to a stud/joist at least 3 times each with strong screws (NOT drywall screws, self drilling deck screw size screw with a hex head (they drive best with a drill) would be best, use a washer too). Then cut another piece of unistrut to span the two rails and get the parts to attach them (spring washers and nuts/bolts). In the middle attach an eye bolt with washers, and attach the heavy bag with some sort of quick disconnect. Whallah. For bonus points you could make the side rails a little longer, cut two 18" or so vertical sections of unistrut and get L-bracket attachment pieces, a span of 1 1/2" RSC (rigid steel conduit) with conduit clamps (2 attachment point clamps), and attach it to the vertical strut. And you've got a pullup bar that is easy to use if you disconnect the bag, which should be simple if you use quick disconnects and ratchet straps. Everything shouldn't cost much more than $30 or so. Once done with it, unscrew it from the studs and you'll have 6-8 screw holes to spackle in the ceiling, a simple fix.

Edited by Waldo