Hi! I'm Hutch. :)

I've been reading and finding inspiration in Steve's blog posts for a while and decided today that it's time to get serious. A little about me: I'm a rower. I'm also (not-quite) five foot five, which means that I am a really short rower. I did martial arts as a kid, and would like to get back into that sometime. Some of my nerdier pursuits include playing bass drum in a marching band, occasionally revisiting my middle school obsession with the Jak and Daxter series, and continuing to humor my desire to become Billy the Blue Ranger.

My goals: In the long term, I just want to live up to the badass image of myself that's in my head. :) In the medium term, I'd like to break 7:30 with my 2k erg score (current PR, set last week: 7:48.2) and reduce my body fat percentage (will update later with exact numbers, once I get my hands on some calipers). In the short term, i.e. by the end of the spring season, I want to break 7:45. Right now, my strengths are in sprints and power, but my endurance is quite lacking. My focus, then, will be to emphasize long endurance training, while maintaining the strength and power gains I've made over the past year and a half.

My main challenge is going to be what I eat. I exercise quite a lot, but I also eat quite a lot--often, a lot of junk (OMNOM BAKED GOODS). I've been vegetarian/pescetarian in varying degrees for the past two and a half years, so I'll admit I'm skeptical of the caveman approach. But I think a compromise version, a la this No Meat Athlete post seems promising, and is something I'm willing to try.

Apologies for the long post. So stoked to become part of this awesome community! Let's chase the crazy stupid dream.