• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wells101

Cross-Training for LARP

So, recently i've gotten this crazy idea in my head that one of the ways to improve my LARP game is to get more in shape.  For many, many years I've played Amtgard, a combat larp. I've also played Belegarth and Dagohir, which i like less for reasons i'm about to get into.  In all three cases, when magic or ranged weapons are present, i'm deadly at arms length, but never, ever been good up close or if I get chased down since i start huffing and heaving and dying a little bit.

Knowing that i need to be able to engage in short sprints (get in/out quickly with spells), extended close melees (and/or wrestling), and general accuracy and reaction time (for dodging).  Aside from strength training with freeweights (which i'm very stubborn about believing is helpful to everything) are there any sorts of excersizes that would benefit this particular skill set?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Burpees :devilish:

On 10/8/2016 at 1:45 PM, Hazard said:

Hill sprints.

I'm not familiar with either of these things.  I'm assuming burpees are made of pure evil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wells101 said:

I'm not familiar with either of these things.

Find a hill.  Run fast up it.  Walk back down.  Run fast up it again.  "Hill Sprints".   

• Like 1

1baf9ec0f5ce4ea9_burpee.3.gif

Cardio: Check

Upper body strength: Check

Leg power: Check

Agility: Check

Dodging skills: Check

Jumping ability: Check

Endurance training: Check

• Like 4