Euro Meet Up With Obstacle Course Race / Mud Run?

I know there are quite a few people on Nerd Fitness that enjoy Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) / mud runs and some that want to give one a try. There’s been some discussion on my challenge about some of us meeting up next year to do an OCR somewhere in Europe.

At the moment, there is a bit of interest in meeting up in Amsterdam in April next year to do Toughest, an 8 kilometer OCR. So I thought I’d open this up and see if anyone else was interested in meeting up for some muddy obstacle fun!

Toughest Amsterdam is taking place on the Saturday 15th April, so there’s a possibility of making this a weekend Nerd Fitness meetup. If some people don't want to do the race and just want to meet up (spectators / cheerleaders welcome), we can arrange an evening get together after the race or for the following day. All ideas welcome as I know nothing about Amsterdam (other than the obvious!)

Please don’t be put off by the name if the event! It will be something that newbies will be able to complete, and we'll be an awesome team of unstoppable nerds! No one will get left behind.

Of course, I’d love to get as many of us as possible together, so if there are any other obstacle races or interesting running events around Europe or in the UK that people would like to look at meeting up for instead, post them here and maybe we can do something that suits the majority. Though, if we could avoid anything around May, that would be really helpful for me!

I really hope we can get a big group of us together for some muddy shenanigans!

• Like 6
1 minute ago, mr_willes said:

FTFY

giphy.gif

If there's a meet-up, there needs to be a proper meet-up. No point in travelling across Europe to watch other people get muddy then go home!

Should be easy enough to find a gym for people like me to lift in, places to eat and it's not like Amsterdam's hard to walk around!

• Like 1
Just now, SpecialSundae said:

If there's a meet-up, there needs to be a proper meet-up. No point in travelling across Europe to watch other people get muddy then go home!

Should be easy enough to find a gym for people like me to lift in, places to eat and it's not like Amsterdam's hard to walk around!

YES!!! The Lifting, YES!!!

Oow, that would mean lifting, the day after an OCR...

Guess the arms and legs are gonna have to suck it up!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, SpecialSundae said:

Of course! I'd love it to be a big nerd fitness weekend that happens to have an OCR in the middle of it.

1 minute ago, mr_willes said:

YES!!! The Lifting, YES!!!

Oow, that would mean lifting, the day after an OCR...

Guess the arms and legs are gonna have to suck it up!

Just think of it as "Active recovery"? :)

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Of course! I'd love it to be a big nerd fitness weekend that happens to have an OCR in the middle of it.

Just think of it as "Active recovery"? :)

Shouldn't be too much more difficult to organise than the Edinburgh one, but might need someone with local knowledge to make recommendations and I will have to forgo any of Amsterdam's more unusual baked goods!

I have friends in Amsterdam that are good at eating and drinking if we want advice for that. :)  As for gym, it's probably too impractical but there is the option of invading KB Girl's gym. Unfortunately it's a two hour train ride away, so it would only be worthwhile if we made it into a whole day affair, which might be tricky to fit in with the OCR.

• Like 2

Definitely interested.  It's the Easter weekend, which makes it more possible maybe to get more time off and do an extended weekend?  Though not sure what that would mean on prices/availability/places being open?  I'm also tempted by the prospect of KB Girl's gym, though guess she might not want to commit to anything right now...  

9 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Definitely interested.  It's the Easter weekend, which makes it more possible maybe to get more time off and do an extended weekend?  Though not sure what that would mean on prices/availability/places being open?  I'm also tempted by the prospect of KB Girl's gym, though guess she might not want to commit to anything right now...  

Oh yeah, forgot about Easter! Then we could definitely do one day of OCR and one at KB Girl's gym - I'm sure she wouldn't mind, even if she's preoccupied with other things like babies. :) I mean Jaap will be there as well.

11 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Definitely interested! And I'd happily take a crack at Toughest too (though someone will probably need to carry me to the airport afterwards...).

Hah, good thing there's lots of strong people because I'll probably need carrying too. :P 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh yeah, forgot about Easter! Then we could definitely do one day of OCR and one at KB Girl's gym - I'm sure she wouldn't mind, even if she's preoccupied with other things like babies. :) I mean Jaap will be there as well.

Hah, good thing there's lots of strong people because I'll probably need carrying too. :P 

Nope! No carrying! If you're crazy enough to do an OCR then you need to walk yourself to bed!

• Like 5

Oh I hadn't realised it was Easter weekend. I was just looking at rentals on Airbnb and it's possible to rent an entire apartment, or even a river boat for less than £1000 for the weekend. If there were over 10 of us, it might be a cheaper option than getting separate accommodation around the city, if people don't mind sharing. Also means those doing the OCR don't piss off hoteliers by muddying up their towels!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Oh I hadn't realised it was Easter weekend. I was just looking at rentals on Airbnb and it's possible to rent an entire apartment, or even a river boat for less than £1000 for the weekend. If there were over 10 of us, it might be a cheaper option than getting separate accommodation around the city, if people don't mind sharing. Also means those doing the OCR don't piss off hoteliers by muddying up their towels!

I'm up for sharing an apartment, but probably need a double room for me and Grant. I'm a HORRIBLE person to share a room with (ask those who did Fort William).