• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raider86

Ask A Question!

The problem with using MFP's built in calculator is that the guys who built MFP are programmers, not nutritionists. The % amounts they set are rather arbitrary and pretty consistantly low-balls a good number.

Eating only 95g of protein a day won't kill you or anything but the benefits for increased protein intake include:

- increased satiety and reduced hunger

- retaining of muscle mass if trying to lose weight, or increase of muscle mass while gaining weight

Mind you, I don't know your body weight, so if you're a tiny female whos like 105-110 pounds, 95g is pretty close. If you're a large male who has already consistantly trained for a couple years, 160-180 grams would be more adequate.

The problem with using MFP's built in calculator is that the guys who built MFP are programmers, not nutritionists. The % amounts they set are rather arbitrary and pretty consistantly low-balls a good number.

Eating only 95g of protein a day won't kill you or anything but the benefits for increased protein intake include:

- increased satiety and reduced hunger

- retaining of muscle mass if trying to lose weight, or increase of muscle mass while gaining weight

Mind you, I don't know your body weight, so if you're a tiny female whos like 105-110 pounds, 95g is pretty close. If you're a large male who has already consistantly trained for a couple years, 160-180 grams would be more adequate.

I'm 5'10", at 276.8 lbs this morning, with what my doctor claims is 50% body fat. Going by lifestyle (light activity = .7g per lb of lean mass), ~95g is what I've come up with. I'm using MFP as kind of a guideline, and doing my own percentages, while mostly using it to keep an eye on carb intake. If there's something else that could do it automatically, I wouldn't argue.

I have a question! My winter break at college starts this Friday. I want to continue going to the gym because I'm still in that motivational stage where I NEED to get out of my house to work out. Running is not an option because I already know I hate it and won't do it.

So my question is...

If I join Planet Fitness for a month, can I cancel my membership after that? Will I have to pay a "fine" for cancelling it shortly after I get it? I only need that gym for a month while the school gym isn't open so I can MAKE myself stay in the habit of working out.

Just drop the weights on the floor after your month is over, then throw a dumbbell at the mirror when the lunk alarm goes off. Your membership will be canceled after that.

Just drop the weights on the floor after your month is over, then throw a dumbbell at the mirror when the lunk alarm goes off. Your membership will be canceled after that.

Haha, I'll keep that in mind but I might not want to sever ties just in case I find something useful there that I can do over the summer. :P

Haha, I'll keep that in mind but I might not want to sever ties just in case I find something useful there that I can do over the summer. :P

You could probably just ask if they do short-term memberships.

LOL Carjack.

In all seriousness, it's probably best to do what chammy suggested. If they won't give you any reasonable deals, then you'll probably be stuck with body-weight exercise until you can get back to the gym. Which isn't terrible really.

LOL Carjack.

In all seriousness, it's probably best to do what chammy suggested. If they won't give you any reasonable deals, then you'll probably be stuck with body-weight exercise until you can get back to the gym. Which isn't terrible really.

I would actually RATHER do body weight exercises versus paying for a gym, but here is my dilemma:

I only JUST started working out about two weeks ago.

Because this is winter break coming up I know my motivation will drop significantly.

Because of this I might not work out AT ALL because I'll go into "Lazy mode" or "Complacent mode" and lose what progress I have.

Because I'm a college student, my money is precious. If I'm spending my money at a gym I WILL go.

See where I'm coming from?

Go to a gym, spend money but keep motivated and keep working out...

orrrrr

Not go to the gym, risk losing all my personal motivation and stop working out...

I think I know myself too well sometimes. Heh.

Pretty sure Planet Fitness is no contract? So you should be good. This is normally something you'll want to make clear before signing anything. If it is, do the Carjack.

I worked out at a PF once... once. Dear PF, if rattling plates set off the lunk alarm why u no have rubberized plates?

Pretty sure Planet Fitness is no contract? So you should be good. This is normally something you'll want to make clear before signing anything. If it is, do the Carjack.

I worked out at a PF once... once. Dear PF, if rattling plates set off the lunk alarm why u no have rubberized plates?

Considering the things I've heard about Planet Fitness I'm not too thrilled about going (even for a month) but it's my only option. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and the only other gym is for people 21+ and I'm only 20. The closest gym besides that would be somewhere down the highway which would also cause me to lose motivation if I have to drive so far versus going right in town.

On a side note, I'm not loud at all when I work out. I don't really get to the grunting stage at all, sometimes I let out a small noise or breathe heavier but that's about it. I don't know how to lift for real yet, so I assume I'll avoid the problems that most of you face.

I hear ya, you gotta do what cha gotta do. If you haven't signed anything yet make sure you confirm there is no commitment before you sign anything but again, I'm pretty sure PF advertises as "no contract" so you should be fine.

I hear ya, you gotta do what cha gotta do. If you haven't signed anything yet make sure you confirm there is no commitment before you sign anything but again, I'm pretty sure PF advertises as "no contract" so you should be fine.

Sounds wonderful to me - I'll be sure to ask if there's any type of commitment or other bs that they try to hook you into. Last thing I need is to be stuck in some silly contract.

Few know this, but Planet Fitness is actually the cover for a ninja training facility.

The lunk alarm ensures the undercover ninjas make no sound anywhere, and the restriction in available equipment keeps them from ever looking out of the ordinary, so you'll never know they're ninjas.

Few know this, but Planet Fitness is actually the cover for a ninja training facility.

The lunk alarm ensures the undercover ninjas make no sound anywhere, and the restriction in available equipment keeps them from ever looking out of the ordinary, so you'll never know they're ninjas.

In that case, they're pretty clever. Probably the best way to train ninjas and stuff is to ensure that they can work out quietly. Then you know they won't be making noises when they go to kill people and such.

Perhaps people who do Parkour are also ninjas and training - the ones who come from PF then move on to Parkour for further training.

Are most barbells really 45 lb? I saw someone else on here say they found out the bar they were using was actually 15 lb and not 45, and now I'm worried I've been drastically overestimating how much I'm lifting. I can't find a weight printed on the bars at my gym at all, unless I'm just blind. Attempts to Google image search weight comparison pictures are failing.

EDITED TO ADD: If it helps, my gym is pretty small and there are only two bars, one on the power rack and one on the bench rack. They look identical to each other. So I'm inclined to believe they are the standard bars...

Edited by cosmia

Are most barbells really 45 lb? I saw someone else on here say they found out the bar they were using was actually 15 lb and not 45, and now I'm worried I've been drastically overestimating how much I'm lifting. I can't find a weight printed on the bars at my gym at all, unless I'm just blind. Attempts to Google image search weight comparison pictures are failing.

EDITED TO ADD: If it helps, my gym is pretty small and there are only two bars, one on the power rack and one on the bench rack. They look identical to each other. So I'm inclined to believe they are the standard bars...

The barbell I use is ~15 lb, but it's a 6' bar for 1" plates, so it's skinny and shorter than the standard Olympic bar, which is 7' long and 2" thick. If your gym is small and only has two bars, I'd guess they were the Olympic 45lb bar too -- the women's Olympic bars are lighter, but they're apparently also shorter. (Wikipedia says "standard" refers to the inch thick bars. I did not know this.)

On a side note, I'm not loud at all when I work out. I don't really get to the grunting stage at all, sometimes I let out a small noise or breathe heavier but that's about it. I don't know how to lift for real yet, so I assume I'll avoid the problems that most of you face.

I exercise at my house with found items for weights. I realized the other day that I was actually grunting a little bit. I think I was doing a bench press kinda thing. I was shocked. I'm the quietest thing. It may actually happen to you to.

2 questions for you nerds!

1: I work out first thing in the morning, lately I've been having my protien shake on the way to the gym to break the fast, and give me energy for the workout, and nothing too protein rich after (maybe cereal, maybe eggs, maybe fruit - always something though). Should I be having the shake after? Should I have something else before? Should I have a shake at both ends?

2: Anyone recommend a good iPhone app for logging workouts? Lately I've been using the notes app, but that can be tedious. I need something that will allow me to enter my own exercises, remember workouts, any tracking info would be great too.

Thanks!

Lachy - 2. I use Gym Buddy.. does the job, you can put in your routine, log it in a calendar and then 'hit the gym' with it all laid out, including your last few sets, reps and weights :) Works nicely, I think it's $2 or $3

Gym Buddy.. does the job, you can put in your routine, log it in a calendar and then 'hit the gym' with it all laid out,

One caution, the developer is not responding and the app is not supported. Some folks haven't been able to even get their license codes. I'd be very wary of it at this point.

I use Jefit on my android phone and like that it syncs online. There is a free and pro version, I only upgraded because the ads got annoying. I believe there is also an iphone app, I just can't swear to its functionality.

I've found nothing beats pen and paper for logging workouts.

But paper gets soggy with sweat... (and I'm a sweater!) Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll look into 'em, and welcome any more that may come. Any thoughts on the protein?

But paper gets soggy with sweat... (and I'm a sweater!) Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll look into 'em, and welcome any more that may come. Any thoughts on the protein?

Have you tried etching them on stone tablets? No soggy paper, plus it's a great little workout carrying them around :D

Shake before or after is fine really. Most people have it afterwards and would do some small meal beforehand. But as long as you have energy to workout it's no problem.