• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raider86

Ask A Question!

My long term goal is overall health of course and to balance cardio and strength training, but if I want to see results fast to keep myself encouraged, which should I focus on first? I am only slightly over weight and I would say my cardio fitness is significantly inferior to my strength training abilities.

My long term goal is overall health of course and to balance cardio and strength training, but if I want to see results fast to keep myself encouraged, which should I focus on first? I am only slightly over weight and I would say my cardio fitness is significantly inferior to my strength training abilities.

focus on both at the same time.

Strength takes longer to develop than cardio and its progress can be measured by many frequent personal records. It's usually trained first in a long term program.

If I were you, I'd focus on weight lifting exercise, then do more conditioning/endurance exercise.

You'll perform endurance well with a base of strength already built, and you can do supersets or finishers to combine weight lifting with cardio.

2 questions for you nerds!

1: I work out first thing in the morning, lately I've been having my protien shake on the way to the gym to break the fast, and give me energy for the workout, and nothing too protein rich after (maybe cereal, maybe eggs, maybe fruit - always something though). Should I be having the shake after? Should I have something else before? Should I have a shake at both ends?

2: Anyone recommend a good iPhone app for logging workouts? Lately I've been using the notes app, but that can be tedious. I need something that will allow me to enter my own exercises, remember workouts, any tracking info would be great too.

Thanks!

1) 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass a day is the rule of thumb around here. I usually eat a small snack an hour before working out and the protein shake (milk and whey) when I get home from the workout.

2) If you're doing stronglifts, they just released an app. If not, I just use my notes app like you.

How does one go about stretching properly?

There's a lot of information about workouts and such, but do you have recommended stretches/warm ups that you have found to be particularly effective for legs/arms/back etc?

Over the past few years I've heard contradictory things about various stretches - this one doesn't work, or that one is actually harmful blah blah blah...

So what really works? Is there a particular order or routine that one should go about it?

Thanks! :)

- Sco

@CoreyD, thanks dude. I'm not concerned with the amount of protein, just the timing of it. Because I work out first thing it's probably a good idea to start with the protein, it's working for me so far. Not doing SL yet, I'm thinking that will be my next routine, but that's not for another month yet.

@Sco, speaking only for myself, I do some dynamic stretches before I lift (after a short run to get my heart rate up), and afterwards I'll do some static stretches on the muscles that I've worked. My gym has a stretching cage which I use. I don't worry about the order so much, I just stretch out each muscle for 20 - 30 seconds in various positions. I'm not trying to improve my flexibility greatly though, just to ease muscles after a workout.

@Lachy, do you (or anyone else out there) have any good sources for/about dynamic stretching? I don't know very much about it. Thanks for the info though! Greatly appreciate it.

I don't really have any solid sources, though I'm sure google could give you some OK advice. I do things like windmill arms for the shoulders and neck, swing my arms across my chest then back out to the sides for my chest back and arms, swing my leg up in front and out the back for hams and quads. To me dynamic stretching is moving stretches, not holding a position.

I did find some good stuff online yesterday and started to incorporate it into my workout. I can feel the difference (though don't know if that's because of the stretching or because I got more sleep last night, haha). But thanks! I think I'm more or less on the right track. :)

Ok - so here's the question.

I've never really worked out "hard" before. I did some cardio, some light use of the machines in the gym and that was it. I stuck around 1200 calories and lost alot of weight. Fast forward to now. I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 200lbs, and after doing my measurements calculated that I'm about 50% body fat (um, ouch)! SO! I've started just this past weekend with body weight squats and lunges (which by the way, kicked my ass), and started weight lifting at the gym.

My diet consists of eating protein in the form of eggs, meats, and small amounts of cheese, vegetables, and healthy fats. I've also limited my bread intake to maybe once a week. I just want to be sure I'm eating enough calories of the good foods my body needs to build more muscle, and I don't know how much to eat? I've been stayng around 1300 calories a day, and that's eating (what I feel like) is huge portions. I know I need to add in some additional snacks througout the day, but I don't want to undo the hard work I'm doing at the gym by eating to much.

I'm just trying to make sure I do this the healthy way this time, rather than just restricting calories to lose weight. Thanks!!

According to this source, your intake should be around 1700. That being said, it says mine is >2000 and up until this past challenge I was routinely eating at 1400-1500.

As for building muscle, the staple is to eat at least a gram per pound of lean body mass(muscle). So, with your estimate of 50% body fat, you should be eating a minimum 100g of protein a day to stimulate muscle growth. Most people will tell you to eat 1 gram per pound of body weight, but that's kind of difficult and I've only just hit that point myself... it takes a lot of eating.

Source cited in linkages.

Thank you Seth! I just looked back at my Daily Plate log and have been consistently eating between 110 - 120 grams of protein daily for the last two weeks. It looks like I'm on the right track. I'm going to try and up that as well as my calories with a few small snacks througout the day. Thanks for your help!

OK Guys (and Girls) I've got a stupid idea in my head and I can't get it out: What would it take to do a

? I'm nowhere near even the starting point of thinking about attempting this, but what if? What sort of training would it take to get to this point? One day I'd love to be able to do it, so maybe if I start training now...

OK Guys (and Girls) I've got a stupid idea in my head and I can't get it out: What would it take to do a
? I'm nowhere near even the starting point of thinking about attempting this, but what if? What sort of training would it take to get to this point? One day I'd love to be able to do it, so maybe if I start training now...

Convict Conditioning 2. Part on 'Capturing the Flag'.

General gymnastics progressions for extended body stuff:

- Tuck flag

- Advanced tuck/flat tuck (whatever you want to call it, as long as your back is straight) flag

- Straddle flag

- Half-lay flag

- Full flag

A clutch hold (google it) is easier than a press hold, so you can use that in a progression as well. I'd say go for clutch flag first.

It's easier to kick up your feet higher than they need to be, then lower down into the flag than raising them. I think it's obvious why.

I has a question, why was Carjack banned? :C

He was bashing Crossfit incessantly and I supposed that was why he was banned. Maybe it's a temporary ban, because I think a permanent ban is a little over the top in a discussion which basically went: "I think CF is good for this and this" and then Carjack came with arguments "CF isn't good for this and this because such and such, don't do CF", etc. and it went on for like two pages until the thread was closed and Carjack banned (I presume), because that's how those things go.

He was bashing Crossfit incessantly and I supposed that was why he was banned. Maybe it's a temporary ban, because I think a permanent ban is a little over the top in a discussion which basically went: "I think CF is good for this and this" and then Carjack came with arguments "CF isn't good for this and this because such and such, don't do CF", etc. and it went on for like two pages until the thread was closed and Carjack banned (I presume), because that's how those things go.

I see.

post-395-13567243284095_thumb.jpg

Little more complicated than that. More like a blind unwillingness to accept any other training methods as ways to improve ones life and all arguments came down to he's right no matter what anyone else says. He'd been warned before from what I understand.

But what's done is done, and not worth discussing as none of us can do anything about it.

Ok - so here's the question.

I've never really worked out "hard" before. I did some cardio, some light use of the machines in the gym and that was it. I stuck around 1200 calories and lost alot of weight. Fast forward to now. I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 200lbs, and after doing my measurements calculated that I'm about 50% body fat (um, ouch)! SO! I've started just this past weekend with body weight squats and lunges (which by the way, kicked my ass), and started weight lifting at the gym.

My diet consists of eating protein in the form of eggs, meats, and small amounts of cheese, vegetables, and healthy fats. I've also limited my bread intake to maybe once a week. I just want to be sure I'm eating enough calories of the good foods my body needs to build more muscle, and I don't know how much to eat? I've been stayng around 1300 calories a day, and that's eating (what I feel like) is huge portions. I know I need to add in some additional snacks througout the day, but I don't want to undo the hard work I'm doing at the gym by eating to much.

I'm just trying to make sure I do this the healthy way this time, rather than just restricting calories to lose weight. Thanks!!

As long as you are above the healthy line (~1200 calories for women or 1000 calories below BMR, whichever is greater) there isn't much need to worry about not eating enough to lose weight or have exercise fuel, as long as you are a long way from the finish line. Once you get your body fat down to the overweight area, then it is time to start worrying about enough calories and backing off your deficit. If you have a lot to lose, your body can sustain a 1000 calorie per day deficit for a long time even with heavy exercise. You might not progress as quickly exercise wise, but you definitely aren't going to take steps back.

Ok--so here's my question -

How much success have ya'll had improving your midsection with just heavy lifting? I've starting on the heavy lifting thing and I'd totally love it if I didn't have to do all those stomach excercises because so many of them feel like they are doing diddly squat. I've found a few that hit the mark, but if a ripped midsection could be had with squats, deadlifts and the like I'd be thrilled to keep it at that.

Anyone with some good experience in this? Thanks!

Heavy squats will strengthen your core, your abs and lats as you tense to create a stable trunk to support your body and the weight. Other heavy compound lifts will do the same, but the squat is great for it. You won't necessarily feel the DOMs in your abs afterwards though.

Of course, you won't see those strengthened muscles if you have a layer of fat over them. But including heavy compound lifts in your workout will help to burn energy, increase metabolism and in combination with a good diet, you'll loose any fat and reveal those muscles! I whole heatedly recommend doing squats, dead lifts, over head press, etc. Maybe look into Strong Lifts? It's free, and focuses on strength with 5 main compound lifts.