Ask A Question!

Raider86

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Quinn S said:

Hi...very much a newbie here. Joined today! Have a quick question.

After completing the Benchmark Test, I was placed in Level 3. In the Bodyweight path, "jumping squats" are featured (and are part of the Boss Battle). I have a number of physical restrictions (some of which I'm hoping to work past eventually) that mean I can't do anything "impact"-ful - meaning jumping is right out. It's not listed in the acceptable general mods for exercises (change angle; change leverage; use less weight) or as a mod for that specific exercise, but could I simply rise up on my toes as I throw my arms up as if I were going to jump but without leaving the ground? I know it's not quite as effective, but I have to work with what I got until I got more to work with :)

Just do bodyweight squats - you lose the explosive/power aspect of the movement, but it'll work mostly the same muscles for strength.

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

13 minutes ago, Defining said:

Sounds like you're just building up your wind. Why not just do the warmup repeated for 30min each 'workout' day, until it's more comfortable? Probably won't take long, newbies adapt pretty quickly.

I like this plan! Thanks! Might also help me memorize it more quickly doing it on repeat like that so I won't have to keep checking the paper quite so often. Thanks much!

• Like 2

I think there is some quotes around the lines of "the best exercise is the ones that happens" and "bad exercise is better than no exercise", is there any truth to that?

Instead of having to think about getting enough nutrients, rest or having a consistent workout routine, what if i where to just throw all that out the window and work out/exercise anyway?

I walk about 2 miles from work (used a bicycle before it broke) and thought maybe could use that for maybe some HIIT running instead of walking?

Can i go to the gym every day Monday to Thursday, train the body part/s of that day but without a workout routine, and still be better of than not working out at all?

2 hours ago, Xenicide said:

I think there is some quotes around the lines of "the best exercise is the ones that happens" and "bad exercise is better than no exercise", is there any truth to that?

Instead of having to think about getting enough nutrients, rest or having a consistent workout routine, what if i where to just throw all that out the window and work out/exercise anyway?

I walk about 2 miles from work (used a bicycle before it broke) and thought maybe could use that for maybe some HIIT running instead of walking?

Can i go to the gym every day Monday to Thursday, train the body part/s of that day but without a workout routine, and still be better of than not working out at all?

Any activity is better than no activity. But for optimal results, you'll see more progress if you follow a program.

How fit can I get in about a year. Background: I'm from Finland and as conscription is nearing in about a year as for everybody after they turn 18 here, I'd like to join the Finnish Rapid Deployment Force. Problem here lies though in the fact that my fitness is really, really bad. They have a entrance test to check your fitness and for example you need to go further than 2300m in a cooper test. My last time I did one I got 1800m. Is it possible to get fit enough in a year? The exams are in December next year 

46 minutes ago, kevytpiima said:

How fit can I get in about a year. Background: I'm from Finland and as conscription is nearing in about a year as for everybody after they turn 18 here, I'd like to join the Finnish Rapid Deployment Force. Problem here lies though in the fact that my fitness is really, really bad. They have a entrance test to check your fitness and for example you need to go further than 2300m in a cooper test. My last time I did one I got 1800m. Is it possible to get fit enough in a year? The exams are in December next year 

You should definitely be able to get quite a bit fitter in a year! The cooper test is just about how far you can run in a time limit, right? That's easy enough to train for, and you can also put on a fair amount of muscle within a year too. It's just about having a good program with progressive overload, sufficient recovery, and decent diet choices. You've got this! :)

On 8/1/2020 at 10:32 AM, kevytpiima said:

From this I interpret that you are 17. We have a rule that you have to be 18 to post on the forums.

I'm suspending your account from posting for a year. 

Edit: it was a misunderstanding, the user us of age and is unrestricted. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Losing Face Fat

I’m a girl who’s almost 18 years old but I still have a baby face. A lot of my friends are younger than me but still look older because they have somewhat defined jawlines and cheekbones. I’ve looked at ways of losing face fat but most of the results showed weight loss programs. That’s where the issue lies: I’m already 48 kg. My body is skinny compared to others but it seems that a lot of the food I eat goes straight to my chin, cheeks and jaw. I’m not sure how much avoiding certain food groups would affect the rest of my body (which I’m happy with) but are there any face stretches or exercises that help lose chin fat at least? 

1 hour ago, S K said:

Losing Face Fat

I’m a girl who’s almost 18 years old but I still have a baby face. A lot of my friends are younger than me but still look older because they have somewhat defined jawlines and cheekbones. I’ve looked at ways of losing face fat but most of the results showed weight loss programs. That’s where the issue lies: I’m already 48 kg. My body is skinny compared to others but it seems that a lot of the food I eat goes straight to my chin, cheeks and jaw. I’m not sure how much avoiding certain food groups would affect the rest of my body (which I’m happy with) but are there any face stretches or exercises that help lose chin fat at least? 

Our rules require you be 18 years old. I'm locking your account for 2 years.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This one is a quickie:

How much regular (once every two months or so) blood donating may influence strength training performance? What is the average (healthy) regeneration time after donation? 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 2:20 AM, aramis said:

How much regular (once every two months or so) blood donating may influence strength training performance? What is the average (healthy) regeneration time after donation? 

I don't know about strength training performance, but I did some reading after I noticed my hiking performance being affected and found lots of information about running performance after donating blood. For runners, it was generally 2-4 weeks after donating before their performance was functionally back to normal. That's not to say that they can't train during that time, just that their performance levels will probably be lower. For me, I have to hike slower when going up hills because my heart rate goes way up trying to get enough oxygen throughout my body with fewer than normal red blood cells. Hiking on flat ground or downhill, I barely notice any difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, Current

Walk to Mordor: 2019, 2020, 20212022

It takes about 6 weeks to regrow all of the red blood cells. It’ll knock back your endurance some - in my experience for a couple of weeks at least. I don’t know, but I’m guessing, it wouldn’t affect weight lifting because Oxygen carrying capacity isn’t a limiter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hey, I’m a 19 year old. Just started focusing more on diet and exercise this year. Just wanted to ask about cardio. Ive always loved playing basketball, going on runs, etc. But now that I’ve started doing body weight strength training 3 times a week, I just find that these doing these forms of cardio on my rest days in between ends up killing all the work I did on my training days.

But I really miss the social aspect of exercise as a result (used to play basketball with my brother or go on runs with my friends but now I’m just by myself in my room doing body weight exercises by myself). I really miss it... just wanted to know if there’s any way to incorporate them back into my week without seeing my gains get killed? 
thanks

How much are you eating? Maybe if you up what you eat it will kill you as much.Another idea is to not cut back some on volume, by doing less reps or sets.Then you can build up your stamina slowly, so you are able to do both. If you think long term, and you enjoy both, even if you start slower on the  bodyweight, eventually your body will adjust

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hey thanks so much for the reply!

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

How much are you eating?

This could be a big reason why because I’ve been struggling to figure out my diet. Feels like I’m either eating too much or too little. Here’s an idea of what I’m eating - it’s ok if you can’t but I’d really appreciate if you could take a look and let me know if you have any advice (if it helps: I’m a 19 year old male who weighs 58kg and is 166cm)

Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs and usually a drink (either coffee with milk or tea with milk or just a cup of milk; my stomach can’t take straight black tea or coffee) - max: 395 cals

lunch: Quinoa, veggies, some form of protein (usually salmon, tuna or chicken) - max 550 calories

dinner: still live with my family so I kinda have to eat whatever my mum makes but I try to model it similarly to lunch where 1/4 of my plate is starchy carbs (eg rice, pasta), 1/3 of my plate is protein (eg chicken, prawns), and the rest (or sometimes even more piled on top) is just vegetables - max: 550 calories

snacks in between meals: Some combination of veggies (eg celery, carrot, cucumber), Fruit(apple, banana), protein shake (usually after a workout), Greek yoghurt, nuts - I set a max 400 calorie threshold for my snacks overall

total max: 1900 calories

thanks so much for your comment again and for any advice you are able to give, I really appreciate it!

3 hours ago, DB9 said:

Hey thanks so much for the reply!

This could be a big reason why because I’ve been struggling to figure out my diet. Feels like I’m either eating too much or too little. Here’s an idea of what I’m eating - it’s ok if you can’t but I’d really appreciate if you could take a look and let me know if you have any advice (if it helps: I’m a 19 year old male who weighs 58kg and is 166cm)

Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs and usually a drink (either coffee with milk or tea with milk or just a cup of milk; my stomach can’t take straight black tea or coffee) - max: 395 cals

lunch: Quinoa, veggies, some form of protein (usually salmon, tuna or chicken) - max 550 calories

dinner: still live with my family so I kinda have to eat whatever my mum makes but I try to model it similarly to lunch where 1/4 of my plate is starchy carbs (eg rice, pasta), 1/3 of my plate is protein (eg chicken, prawns), and the rest (or sometimes even more piled on top) is just vegetables - max: 550 calories

snacks in between meals: Some combination of veggies (eg celery, carrot, cucumber), Fruit(apple, banana), protein shake (usually after a workout), Greek yoghurt, nuts - I set a max 400 calorie threshold for my snacks overall

total max: 1900 calories

thanks so much for your comment again and for any advice you are able to give, I really appreciate it!

My advice would be to not worry about a max threshhold for snacks.Eat enough to feel full.  The thing about playing basketball, running, and weight lifting  is that burns calories, and you need to replenish it. Your food eating plan sounds like a pretty good blend of carbs/protein/ and fat. Maybe try adding in carbs with breakast.

IIf you want good ballpark numbers of what to shoot. The person to ask is @Defining.However, I plugged your numbers into the calculator at this site https://calculator-converter.com/diet-calorie-calculator.htm , listing you as very active and it said to maintain your weight you should eat 2,700 calories. So, yeah, I'd  say up your calories and see how you feel. If you start to gain fat  or feel overfull, then cut back. Don't just go by scale weight, because hopefully you will gain muscle.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

@DB9 I agree with everything that @Elastigirl  has said - you probably need to eat more, don't worry about limiting your foods so long as you're eating mostly less-processed/refined stuff, and keep up with the protein and veg. :) 

If you really want actual numbers to aim for we could chat more (I'm not an expert, dietician, dr, or any kind of health professional, I just like to geek out over numbers), but it's probably not necessary at this point in your journey.

• Like 2