Learning To Study

Okay, this may not seem like a big woot, but it's kind of epic for me!! 

Basically, I've always been a terrible test taker, and haven't had to do anything like this in almost 20 years. I'm a very visual leaner and the last time I was in an academic environment I was studying fine art and art history. (It's true that the beginnings of art history programs require a lot memorization, but towards the end it's mostly theory and philosophy.) 

But now I'm doing on my own remote coursework for a personal training certification and theres a ton of stuff I have to memorize and be able to recall in their language. I aced the first section just from reading the book, but had 2 fails on the second. I went back and employed study techniques that my STEM nerd brother showed me years ago... and it worked! (Thanks bro! Love you!) I took a different quiz and barely had to think twice about the answers... and...

I aced the section!!!!! That's right, 100%!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a lot of handwriting of notes that gives me the visual element that helps me commit things to my memory, and then rereading the notes which is in my own language was a quick and easy refresher, and I have them ready for the big show. 

Considering where I'm coming from, I'm taking this as a huge win, and something I really needed. (I was really starting to lose confidence after those 2 fails.) Best is that I know what I have to do going forward, and realize that it's just work I have to show up and do, despite feeling like I was totally out of my element Donny. If I can do this, I can do full splits again. I'll get there :P 

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Awesome! High five!

:D Thank youuuuu!!!!! o/ 

• Like 1

Awesome! Good Job! Are you sure you are a visual learner instead of a kinetic learner? I'm a kinetic learner and I always rewrote my notes to learn the material. I learn some by reading, which I ascribe to visual learning, but learned it best when I wrote the material myself.

• Like 1

Mama Gnome, Healer and Crafter

Keeper of the Five Hobbits

All Around Awesome

21 hours ago, Trixie Falsae said:

Awesome! Good Job! Are you sure you are a visual learner instead of a kinetic learner? I'm a kinetic learner and I always rewrote my notes to learn the material. I learn some by reading, which I ascribe to visual learning, but learned it best when I wrote the material myself.

There's probably a fair bit of that! I found the rewriting to be extremely helpful :D 

20 hours ago, Cherry Poppins said:

100%! That's amazing! Well done!

Thank you!!

19 hours ago, Socksy said:

What were the techniques?

Well, I have two resources, a text book, and a study guide that bullet points the important issues from each chapter. Keeping an eye on the study guide, I highlighted the areas in the textbook while reading it, and then rewrote all the details from each bullet point. At first I was just rewriting it, but after a few pages I realized it would be much better if I paraphrased the info just to confirm that I understood it. I'll be coming up to anatomy soon, and plan on drawing in a sketchbook as a way to remember everything :) 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Cherry Poppins said:

I majored in anatomy and found that, no joke, colouring books were a huge help. Sounds like you might find one useful too! And if you want any help, let me know!

YASSSS!!!! I love coloring books :) (coloring may be in my challenge this month...) Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!! :D 

29 minutes ago, ~RedStone~ said:

YASSSS!!!! I love coloring books :) (coloring may be in my challenge this month...) Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!! :D 

Are you studying on campus? If so, you should be able to pick one up at the campus bookstore. There are also heaps available online through Book Depository etc.

Do you have a chance to get into the wet lab at all for prac sessions and tutorials? What exactly do you need to learn - just musculoskeletal/gross/topographical, or more?

• Like 1

I aim to misbehave.

Battle log

20 hours ago, Cherry Poppins said:

Are you studying on campus? If so, you should be able to pick one up at the campus bookstore. There are also heaps available online through Book Depository etc.

Do you have a chance to get into the wet lab at all for prac sessions and tutorials? What exactly do you need to learn - just musculoskeletal/gross/topographical, or more?

Newp! All remote study for exercise science, so it's pretty much just musculoskeletal and kinesiology :)